Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Blah blah probably couldn't offer this realtor enough money to do ~data science ~ if you consider she sold 200 properties last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
4 a week, that's bonkers. Sign me up.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Here's my contribution to realtor mail chat

Everyone in Vancouver should be a realtor really.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.linkedin.com/in/farshadzandi/

and that's it.

there's nothing else here. back on the streets of east tehran he'd just be another garbage scavenger. i guess this is one positive of an economy that depends on real estate.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

namaste faggots posted:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/farshadzandi/

and that's it.

there's nothing else here. back on the streets of east tehran he'd just be another garbage scavenger. i guess this is one positive of an economy that depends on real estate.

He almost certainly has family connections to the old money fuckbags who fled Iran during the revolution to set up shop on the North Shore, and is getting those contracts through glorious racial nepotism. Without them he'd be a garbage collector here, too.

Source: I worked for that crowd for nearly a decade.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

namaste faggots posted:

This realtor left a flyer in my mailbox.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kristi-holz-aa7bb064/

I know a bunch of you all are like HAW HAW HAW MATH IS USELESS LOOK I'M STUDYING POLITICAL THEORY I CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE but take it from me, this woman's undergrad is nothing to sneeze at and she's very intelligent.

I'm posting this because this is second most awful example of a waste of resources I've seen in Vancouver. This woman, for whatever reason, ended up in the trash heap human detritus that is customer service in the tourism industry and has become a successful realtor. I don't begrudge her for becoming successful but in any alpha++ city she should be doing something much more productive than loving selling condos.

Here's probably the worst example:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ginarossi78/

in case you ignoramuses are wondering, a Phd in experimental medicine isn't chiropracty or homeopathy

what I'm saying is, BC's economy is so royally hosed and distorted by real estate, the repercussions will reverberate for decades

would

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

I know a bunch of you all are like HAW HAW HAW MATH IS USELESS LOOK I'M STUDYING POLITICAL THEORY I CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE but take it from me, this woman's undergrad is nothing to sneeze at and she's very intelligent.

I'm posting this because this is second most awful example of a waste of resources I've seen in Vancouver. This woman, for whatever reason, ended up in the trash heap human detritus that is customer service in the tourism industry and has become a successful realtor. I don't begrudge her for becoming successful but in any alpha++ city she should be doing something much more productive than loving selling condos.

You wouldn't believe this if you spent some time with the worst passing students from any STEM major. The fact that she writes at a Grade 8 or 9 level and hasn't figure out which words should be capitalized is a sign in that direction.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
cmon man. i know it's waterloo but what would you say if engineering grads from NC State couldn't work anywhere but as realtors

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

leftist heap posted:

the poor small businessman with $30 million in real estate :qq:

Did you even read this article? It doesn't matter if you own the property or not. Whoever is renting the space is affected by dramatic property value increases.

quote:

Tenants running small businesses, which make up most of Railtown, will be hardest hit, Mr. Sullivan says. The majority of leases in Vancouver are "triple net," which means the tenant pays the landlord the rent, but is also responsible for maintenance and property taxes. With an unexpectedly huge tax hike, many businesses won't survive, he says.

This is actually a real problem. Commercial property speculation will result in all my favourite mom n' pop vegan restaurants going out of business, and then you just have empty storefronts being held indefinitely by foreign speculators.

Vancouver residential property taxes are so low in part because the city taxes commercial very highly. This should probably be rebalanced, but that's probably political suicide.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

Did you even read this article? It doesn't matter if you own the property or not. Whoever is renting the space is affected by dramatic property value increases.

This is actually a real problem. Commercial property speculation will result in all my favourite mom n' pop vegan restaurants going out of business, and then you just have empty storefronts being held indefinitely by foreign speculators.

Vancouver residential property taxes are so low in part because the city taxes commercial very highly. This should probably be rebalanced, but that's probably political suicide.

That's fine though, because waiters and kitchen staff can't afford to live in the city anyways. it'll just be a bunch of empty stores and empty condos sitting there appreciating.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The first dude in the example owns the $30 million in property though, or at least that was the impression the article gave.

I totally agree, it is a legitimate problem, but they should have found an actual mom and pop place with a triple lease to interview.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In victoria every vacant retail space gets filled with a pot store or condo sales office. It's all good.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Vis a vis Waterloo educated realtor, it is also possible that she just decided she actually hated her degree.

I was a lab partner with a friend of mine in comp sci in university, and he told me he didn't think he'd written a single working program in his whole time at school. Somehow he just barely got by and he eventually realized he was dramatically more interested in his various extra curricular activities that were totally unrelated to computer science. By the time he realized this he was already three years deep into a comp sci degree, so he just finished it but immediately went on to work in a totally different, non technical, field, which he's had huge success in.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

cmon man. i know it's waterloo but what would you say if engineering grads from NC State couldn't work anywhere but as realtors

What makes you think being a realtor was the only option for her career wise?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

A Typical Goon posted:

What makes you think being a realtor was the only option for her career wise?

Probably gonna go with the 3 year stint doing customer service at the Fairmont, here.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

blah_blah posted:

Probably gonna go with the 3 year stint doing customer service at the Fairmont, here.

You can socially engineer the answers pretty easily if you didn't want to speculate

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

large hands posted:

Urban planners from around the world study Nanaimo as a cautionary example of how not to do things.

The best part is that this isn't even a joke.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is working for RIM more shameful than being a realtor?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That is a gorgeous post, CI.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OTOH, "woman grits teeth to finish STEM degree and then abandons field because it's full of assholes who treat her like a child" is a tragically common story.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Women get treated better in the trades than they do in STEM fields, FFS. It's pathetic.

Remember how I posted that Vancouver Island is mostly privately held land? Somebody is divesting HARD:
http://www.landquest.com/detailmain.aspx?propid=16245

This is a fantastic example of the kind of neo-feudal rent seeking which has increasingly held British Columbia captive over the past half-century, as unbelievably wealthy dynasties have sought to build concentrated portfolios of freehold land as soon as it enters the public market.

Rime fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 21, 2017

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rime posted:

Women get treated better in the trades than they do in STEM fields, FFS. It's pathetic.

Remember how I posted that Vancouver Island is mostly privately held land? Somebody is divesting HARD:
http://www.landquest.com/detailmain.aspx?propid=16245

This is a fantastic example of the kind of neo-feudal rent seeking which has increasingly held British Columbia captive over the past half-century, as unbelievably wealthy dynasties have sought to build concentrated portfolios of freehold land as soon as it enters the public market.

There are some gems in that listing. Apparently the Oregon cranberry farms in that portfolio is next to a top US golf resort, and the realtor thought it was a selling point.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.priceypads.com/alternative-living-6-more-closets-you-can-rent-in-vancouver-b-c-from-600month-photos/

anyone want to rent a closet in the best place on earth

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Is there any evidence people are actually renting these places? All I see is outrage at the listings.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mantle posted:

Is there any evidence people are actually renting these places? All I see is outrage at the listings.

Students will live in *far* worse than that.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

James Baud posted:

Students will live in *far* worse than that.

I don't think this is the right question. It's not a matter of whether they would live in those conditions, but whether they would at that price.

Students have access to education loans and campus housing too, what does that cost these days?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Lol, campus housing. Nobosy has built new student housing here for twenty years, it's all market condos or for international students.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, it was big news when UofT guaranteed on-campus housing just for all of its first year students, there's nowhere near enough for all students. (The construction of the housing was delayed for a year or something, so UofT had to rent a whole hotel downtown to store the little tykes in.)

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Pretty sure a disturbingly large proportion of people in BC work in real estate in one or another. Gonna need a lot of naloxone kits for when the bubble pops.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

cowofwar posted:

Pretty sure a disturbingly large proportion of people in BC work in real estate in one or another. Gonna need a lot of naloxone kits for when the bubble pops.

But think of all the real estate that'll free up!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

cowofwar posted:

Gonna need a lot of naloxone kits for when the bubble pops.

SpannerX posted:

But think of all the real estate that'll free up!

After combining these two statements I'd like to amend my suggestion to

Guest2553 posted:

Offer to buy their underwater property for pennies on the dollar in hard currencyfenatyl to alleviate their cash flow inability to deal with reality problems.

If they say no,They won't say no. make another offer the following week that's 1% lower. Wash and repeat until they cave and you've amassed a portfolio with the desired weighting in real estate. Rent them back to the previous owners at a price that's still affordable for them but which still makes you money after expenses, while vocally letting them know how much of a favor you're doing them. Once the price recovers a bit cancel their month to month by moving back in then sell it as soon as you can claim the CGE. Do this for every house until they're all gone. Use a part of the money to pay someone on Fiverr to send them a postcard in your name from exotic parts of the world on every anniversary of the date you bought them out. There won't be many renters left but to prevent squatters you can hire the stronger addicts to protect your investment for ramen and potable water laced with methadone to keep them lucid. It's somewhat capital intensive since you'll be waiting until neo-vancouver arises from the ashes of its 28-days-later hellscape, but eventually mankind will return if the oceans haven't swallowed the ruins in the meantime. Speculation in naloxone futures may even out the unpredictable cash flow until then, but if you're willing to accept lower profits consider installing upgrades like barred windows, tornado shelters, or ammo caches and market the properties as safe houses.
e.
Remember that CGE exemption won't apply!!

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 22, 2017

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If a realtor with a BMath* is the second worst example of underemployed talent that you can think of, have I got folders of PhDs who'll never get a job in a related industry (let alone in academia) for you. Let me tell about the presentation I got about transitioning into industry by a data scientist for plentyoffish.com, or even better, go apply for a job there yourself if you want to do cutting-edge machine learning data mining for a poo poo-rate dating website. Bonus points: it's in Vancouver, so who says tech isn't booming in BC?

*from a good program yes, but who knows if she did particularly well although it would have been more challenging in the sausage fest that is STEM at UWaterloo

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 22, 2017

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hubbert posted:

The best part is that this isn't even a joke.

Ever wonder why there are so many roads laid out in what appears to be nonsensical manner in Nanaimo, such as roads that cut across areas in a diagonal manner? It's because they simply laid down roads over top of what used to be tracks used for mining. The only real parts of Nanaimo that really look to have planning in their layouts are the downtown area, which is laid out in a hub manner and was planned out by someone in the UK in the 1800s, and the Harewood (*ahem* "University District") area that is a grid pattern. When I previously mentioned the lack of vision, it was at least partially related on how poor the development of the city has been. I feel like severely haphazard might be underplaying how the development of Nanaimo has been mostly to date.

Edit:

I forgot I wanted to mention on the topic of the private ownership of much of Vancouver Island, I was explaining this not long ago to my lifelong friend who was also born and raised here. I assumed this was well-known and was surprised he didn't know about it. It's heinous that the summit of Mount Benson is owned by private interests.

http://www.nalt.bc.ca/index.php?p=1_2_About-Mount-Benson

quote:

There are several different owners of the mountain. On the front slopes (north-east) they include TimberWest, BC Crown Land (leased to Malaspina University College), Island Timberlands (was Weyerhaeuser), and the Department of National Defense. Until recently, the 523 acre property that extends across the top of the front face was owned by a development company called Pennclan-Reeve. For the timber companies, the primary use of their properties is timber harvest. Initially, Pennclan-Reeve stated that their reason for logging their property was to "open up the viewscape" and develop the property as view lots. However, they later abandoned this idea and focused on revenue from logging the timber. About 100 acres of this property was logged in 2003; and at least another 50 acres during 2004. There was no further logging in 2005, and only a small patch of the logged area is visible from downtown Nanaimo.

Xaranthius fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 22, 2017

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

eXXon posted:

If a realtor with a BMath* is the second worst example of underemployed talent that you can think of, have I got folders of PhDs who'll never get a job in a related industry (let alone in academia) for you.

Well, being an adjunct at a community college or similar is probably the most depressing common outcome for Ph.Ds.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/stephenfgordon/status/822228168799121409

Ben Rabidoux is one of the best authorities on the housing market if not the best. His feed is private now, presumably to avoid having to keep paying out money to fend off SLAPP lawsuits.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i recognize fortress because some ween that works for them continually spams urbantoronto with self promoting garbage

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
yeah well don't criticize him because you'll get SLAPPd

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

namaste faggots posted:

https://twitter.com/stephenfgordon/status/822228168799121409

Ben Rabidoux is one of the best authorities on the housing market if not the best. His feed is private now, presumably to avoid having to keep paying out money to fend off SLAPP lawsuits.

I was wondering why I stopped seeing his tweets. This whole thing is distressing on many levels

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Seen on twitter:
Tiny home movement = artisanal trailer park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

namaste faggots posted:

Seen on twitter:
Tiny home movement = artisanal trailer park

http://gawker.com/5431831/bushwick-artist-communitytrailer-park-is-brooklyns-new-hipster-hell

No this is an artisanal trailer park.