Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Welp, latest game just started and I got my first supply raid at the end of March. 2 hours remaining when it first appears to me, Light-Moderate forces. Loooooool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

jfood posted:

Speaking of singular things, is it difficult to change a class name? I loving hate the fact they went with 'shinobi'... to the point where I just straight up disabled it and downloaded one called SpecOps. I get the feeling I'm missing out on some cool infiltration toys though, but I just can't bring myself to have one of my dudes classed as a weeaboo shitlord..
:goonsay:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Basic Chunnel posted:

the neckbeard nature of tactilol fantasy

It's so this. I could roll with 'Sneaky Pete' or 'Non-verbal Kent' but Shinobi just broke my will to play the class.

That said, the Spec Ops class in the workshop has throwing knives, which are cool and good.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
ninjas completely break my immersion in this computer game about liberating the earth from tit-having snakes and psychic aliens from unsolved mysteries

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

jfood posted:

It's so this. I could roll with 'Sneaky Pete' or 'Non-verbal Kent' but Shinobi just broke my will to play the class.

That said, the Spec Ops class in the workshop has throwing knives, which are cool and good.

Just think of shinobi as these guys and it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WPDDZyzvxo

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
maybe they'll rename the shinobi class to "shadow dancer" in the first patch

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

They're not wearing chicken masks or saucepans on their heads while they stab people up with a bottle.

I have a very particular aesthetic I'm going for with my shitkickin' operators. It's all about ethics in video game immersion, but thanks anyways.

quote:

maybe they'll rename the shinobi class to "shadow dancer" in the first patch

I'd settle for 'flashdancer' and a set of legwarmers

upgunned shitpost fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 22, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm having an issue with the game where it hangs every second or so creating constant lag. I tried verifying the cache and turning off all mods but nothing's helping, is this a known issue or should I just try to reinstall?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Shinobi annoyed me too, but i'd kinda resigned myself to just ignoring it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Apoplexy posted:

Yeah. I keep getting missions with 11 hours left. That means one dude will encounter a force of hundreds. You simply can't DO that. Someone said 50% of your missions should be thrown out, if not more. I think it's closer to 80%

Set more resistance to Intel jobs and you'll get more infiltration time.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yep, I know.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is there a mod to fix LOS so that enemy troops will not spot my dude half away across the map and through several solid walls of a building? I just restarted a mission for the second time because of getting half my squad wiped out by a pod that did what I just described.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Apoplexy posted:

Welp, latest game just started and I got my first supply raid at the end of March. 2 hours remaining when it first appears to me, Light-Moderate forces. Loooooool.

Just hit my first supply raid. The thing is, supply raids you go loud. Max guys and all the explosives I could bring. Because you have infinite time, you can take it slowly. At least on veteran, that first raid was doable with lance corporals and corporals. Ended up killing I think 36 advent, with one operative wounded. Just, prioritize explosives and flashbangs.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Gaaah I really want to like LW2 but they seem to have gone for the same feel as the first one where they give you all kinds of cool new toys but make every mission - hell, every firefight - a tedious grind balanced for power-gaming turbospergs. They really could've made it more modular this time round and let me just switch off the more egregious bullshit but noooooooo.

Also Shinobi as a name for a class is just loving dumb, I'd be happier if they just called it Ninja, that would have been tolerable.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Wildtortilla posted:

Is there a mod to fix LOS so that enemy troops will not spot my dude half away across the map and through several solid walls of a building? I just restarted a mission for the second time because of getting half my squad wiped out by a pod that did what I just described.

It just so happens I mentioned this exact mod/ini tweak earlier in the thread, and it's built into LW2, too, in its config files. Check Steam Workshop for Less Silly Line of Sight or something.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Apoplexy posted:

It just so happens I mentioned this exact mod/ini tweak earlier in the thread, and it's built into LW2, too, in its config files. Check Steam Workshop for Less Silly Line of Sight or something.

Thanks I'm going to check this now! Follow up question, when my squad is still concealed at the start of a mission some times are red indicating the enemy can see me if I move there. However, sometimes tiles look clear but I get a pop-up on the tile if I mouse over it with a red eye on it. What's that?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Oh, the ones you get when concealed only are indicators that someone or something is spying on that location and will reveal your squad. Not shoot at you necessarily, but a civvy or an ADVENT lamp post will set you off.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Smiling Knight posted:

Just hit my first supply raid. The thing is, supply raids you go loud. Max guys and all the explosives I could bring. Because you have infinite time, you can take it slowly. At least on veteran, that first raid was doable with lance corporals and corporals. Ended up killing I think 36 advent, with one operative wounded. Just, prioritize explosives and flashbangs.

Yeah this is how I've been going about these missions as well.

One other mechanic that isn't explained up front is that each utility item carried by a soldier will lower that soldier's mobility. So an optimal shinobi is probably going to just be carrying a SMG and not much else.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It could also be the path to that point goes through a window or closed door. Jumping through a window or kicking down a door reveals you.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Ornamented Death posted:

It could also be the path to that point goes through a window or closed door. Jumping through a window or kicking down a door reveals you.

Correct, but if you sidle up to a door slowly and do a free action of opening it, it's fine. Just a tip.

Sprocket
Apr 1, 2005

woof
Never really got very far with vanilla X-COM 2 but looking to give it another try with LW2, wondering about the DLC however. Is it pointless to get the Alien Hunters dlc if im not playing vanilla? Sounds like it adds some drastic new mechanics, does LW2 utilise the alien ruler stuff at all? I see it adds something to the Shen dlc so think i'll get that at least.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
LW2 nerfs the loving poo poo out of alien rulers. 25% chance of a free action instead of 100. This is completely configurable in the .inis, though, for if you want the old-school experience. They DID balance the gear you get from the alien ruler autopsies, though, for LW2 and all. Same with SPARKs, for if you want Shen's Last Gift.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Apoplexy posted:

LW2 nerfs the loving poo poo out of alien rulers. 25% chance of a free action instead of 100. This is completely configurable in the .inis, though, for if you want the old-school experience. They DID balance the gear you get from the alien ruler autopsies, though, for LW2 and all. Same with SPARKs, for if you want Shen's Last Gift.

I enabled the DLC but don't plan to go on the Vahlen mission until maybe the very late game. That way I can block the rules from turning up.

I did my own timer tweak to add six turns to everything and I'm playing on Veteran and it's feeling pretty good so far. If you don't want to edit anything I think you should just go for Rookie difficulty for your first run, even if you've finished vanilla on Commander+.

Beagle going in nearly blind on Legendary is going to be... interesting. Apparently infiltration timers take a one day hit on Legendary which is going to make everything a massive pain in the rear end.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Apoplexy posted:

Huh. Just hearing that makes me want to give it a try.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Someone recently posted a mod that fixes the camera from being moved around and reset by the game. I've looked back through several pages of posts and haven't found it. Does anyone remember what that was?

edit: found it! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616359783

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 22, 2017

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Sometimes there's an Advent van with a mouse icon on the back door, but when I get a unit up next to it and left click it, nothing happens. Right clicking just moves the unit to the next space over, wasting my turn. What am I doing wrong?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Lester Shy posted:

Sometimes there's an Advent van with a mouse icon on the back door, but when I get a unit up next to it and left click it, nothing happens. Right clicking just moves the unit to the next space over, wasting my turn. What am I doing wrong?

I think the open door command is in your soldier's list of actions. Like at there bottom center of your screen.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Apoplexy posted:

Medium Light means that's like 30-40 enemies, dude. You are not doing that with rooks. Learning experience, though! For almost the entirety of the early game, DO NOT go near anything higher than Light. And Light should be excluded unless it's a Supply Raid or Troop Column Assault or something.

Do you happen to know the average enemy counts for the other mission difficulties? Planning to make a tweak to mission difficulty descriptions so they give out rough estimates, vague descriptions are fine when it's relatively simple like the vanilla XCOM games, but if you're going implement a more realistic system of infiltration and what not, I feel like getting actual estimates of enemy strength from the field like in real life isn't too much to ask.

edit: ok I happen to found a list from one of the beta testers, except now I'm even more confused because Light-Moderate's supposed to have only around 16 to 20 enemies.

Unless you're counting reinforcements?

Exposure fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 22, 2017

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Wildtortilla posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=844147782

You're actually in luck. A config flag was unearthed which can fix this problem at the expense of potentially slower map loading times. What happens is by default world LOS calculation is done on multiple threads, however, this apparently has bugs when stitched back together, where as running a single thread on the calculation is more reliable.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Beagle started his Long War 2 playthrough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dMnnVjo1HU

"Grenades are stupid and i hate them."
- Beaglerush, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Lester Shy posted:

If you're playing on LW2, the RNG gives some soldiers 0 hacking skill. Those people cannot hack open cell or transport doors.

If it's just some random van, I wouldn't worrry about it. IIRC original XCOM2 had things like containers dotting levels but none of them actually contained anything unless they were part of a mission.

TomViolence posted:

Also Shinobi as a name for a class is just loving dumb, I'd be happier if they just called it Ninja, that would have been tolerable.
I've decided I'll be fine with it as soon as someone introduces a mod that replaces the action confirm sound for sword attacks with an audible sigh

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Gyshall posted:

Yeah this is how I've been going about these missions as well.

One other mechanic that isn't explained up front is that each utility item carried by a soldier will lower that soldier's mobility. So an optimal shinobi is probably going to just be carrying a SMG and not much else.

Thats the way it was in LW1 too. Also, SMGs reduce detection radius. It's pretty cool to run your technicals light and have them carry a SMG so you can get them in close and open an ambush with the flamethrower. I found out the hard way that the rocket launcher is a great way to bring every pod on the map down on your head. The flamethrower is much quieter.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I got exhausted by the intro mission with 8 guys that can't hit anything to the point that I saved and quit when killing the second pod didn't end it. I get that Long means Long but I really don't think this is for me.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I got XCom 2 in the winter sale but haven't started it yet. I played a fair bit of Enemy Unknown, should I still play the base XCom2 first or just jump into Long War? It looks pretty neato. With Mass Effect coming out in a couple months I'm not sure I'll have time to do both.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Thats the way it was in LW1 too. Also, SMGs reduce detection radius. It's pretty cool to run your technicals light and have them carry a SMG so you can get them in close and open an ambush with the flamethrower. I found out the hard way that the rocket launcher is a great way to bring every pod on the map down on your head. The flamethrower is much quieter.

Grenadiers practically need to have every utility slot full. An SMG offsets that pretty well, too!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

IcePhoenix posted:

I got XCom 2 in the winter sale but haven't started it yet. I played a fair bit of Enemy Unknown, should I still play the base XCom2 first or just jump into Long War? It looks pretty neato. With Mass Effect coming out in a couple months I'm not sure I'll have time to do both.

Do vanilla first so you'll understand the shortcomings of the strategic layer when playing LW2.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

kater posted:

I got exhausted by the intro mission with 8 guys that can't hit anything to the point that I saved and quit when killing the second pod didn't end it. I get that Long means Long but I really don't think this is for me.

Height advantages, overwatch trap on the first pod of every map, grenades for damage instead of cover destruction, and ***FLANKING***. If you have 8 dudes, you can send two to each side of any foe and they won't be able to get away from 4 up front and 2 flanking from each side the next turn.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Apoplexy posted:

Do vanilla first so you'll understand the shortcomings of the strategic layer when playing LW2.

Yeah, Long War 2 is for you if you play through vanilla XCOM2 first and then still want to play more. Going into LW first will just ruin your enjoyment of the game.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Having a sniper with a suppressor is hella good for just murdering the poo poo out of turrets and the like. They're not a part of pods so they don't count towards detection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
my grenadier just got rapid fire when promoted to colonel :getin: