Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
i guess i'll probably be called an orientalist for talking about china as a non-han chinese but i guess i'll just have to take it and roll with the punches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The Great Autismo! posted:

i guess i'll probably be called an orientalist for talking about china as a non-han chinese but i guess i'll just have to take it and roll with the punches

http://i.imgur.com/yGQzjxP.mp4

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

the truck is the 19 year old outside of san francisco with identity issues and i'm the car just sitting there trying to have a realistic conversation about modern china

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

nickmeister posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.83a47598959a

Comments section, of course.

Did you know America is not diverse?

I wasn't aware, I thought everybody there is white and 300 pounds.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
did you not know that when people say "America" what they really mean is "white people"?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Ceciltron posted:

Haier, you've lost it dude.

Imperialist Dog posted:

Haier are you OK?
I felt like my shitposting was very obvious. What do you do when your shitposting is indistinguishable from your regularposting? Ruh-roh.

China is very multi-culture. Do u know that u can buy Uighur food anywhere in China? But in USA, you can only buy American food!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Phlegmish posted:

You would expect there to be some ingrained sense of etiquette and collective responsibility as a result of the high urban densities they've had for centuries, but time and time again you see this sort of short-sighted selfishness.

Is it a result of the Cultural Revolution, Great Leap Forward and communism in general completely destroying civil society and eroding social capital? Seems like the other Chinas are a lot better in this regard.

Yea, the great leap with it's collectivisation and the famine destroyed the social fabric. The state's policies were ridiculously destructive in every imaginable way. High estimates are that e.g. up to 80% of China's forrests were destroyed in that short period.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

"vast"

China's the same size as the US. Actually, the US is larger by about the area of Minnesota

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Phlegmish posted:

Is it a result of the Cultural Revolution, Great Leap Forward and communism in general completely destroying civil society and eroding social capital? Seems like the other Chinas are a lot better in this regard.

Hong Kong and Taiwan were basically "Dr. Moreau"ed into what you see today

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Of the numerous pieces of evidence that China is the new world power, the ones that have me most convinced are:

-90% of males at all ages cannot use a urinal without getting at least 3 tablespoons of urine on the floor
-45% of males at all ages cannot use a urinal without completely opening and lowering their belt and trousers and holding up their shirt with their hand or even with their chin

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Imperialist Dog posted:

Haier are you OK?

I wouldn't worry about Haier. As a father and husband to another; Either be okay with your lack of agency over your kids and being whipped or do something about it other then mincing for four hours. Lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LentThem posted:

-90% of males at all ages cannot use a urinal without getting at least 3 tablespoons of urine on the floor

~~fun fact~~

when i made a comment about urine on the floor in chinese bathrooms in the original GBS china thread, I was called a racist

**~~the more you know~~**

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

and now you've both lost face, you could but shouldn't feel shame for that

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

~~fun fact~~

when i made a comment about urine on the floor in chinese bathrooms in the original GBS china thread, I was called a racist

who the gently caress is measuring urine with tablespoons, anyhow?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

~~fun fact~~

Pissing all over everything is a time honored Chinese tradition you bigoted gently caress.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

~~fun fact~~

Race-mixing and class-mixing was racist, too.

That was really a high-point

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

WALK IN, DROP TROU, SPRAY THE WALLS, CALL ME MAO

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
the last china gbs thread got closed because it devolved into "racism" lol

and so we got...this thread? lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

This thread is clearly criticising a culture and not at all a distinct phenotype of people no sir.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
wait ive been talking about pandas this whole time, was i the only one?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LentThem posted:

wait ive been talking about pandas this whole time, was i the only one?

the inscrutable panda plays the long game

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Taiwan goons, how is the best China's chabuduo game? I want to know, is it something that communist rule brought forth?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BCR posted:

l-mao

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Accretionist posted:

Race-mixing and class-mixing was racist, too.

That was really a high-point
The good days when I was scum for being both a race-mixer and class-mixer, as well as a sex-haver, a sexpat, AND taking advantage of poor people. I was racist for it all, too. I am glad I am now just a sexpat and race-mixer.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Haier posted:

The good days when I was scum for being both a race-mixer and class-mixer, as well as a sex-haver, a sexpat, AND taking advantage of poor people. I was racist for it all, too. I am glad I am now just a sexpat and race-mixer.

bro u r a foreigner banging chinese girls u r still scum

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

MISCEGENATIONIST!! JEWY SKATEBOARDING MISCEGINATIONIST!!!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

BCR posted:

You're missing quite a few steps. Proper Chinese urinal etiquette is more along the lines of...

<walk in, drop cigarette butt into the urinal>
<hock a loogie at the urinal, but more likely hit the wall>
<unbuckle, drop trou, lift shirt>
<start pissing, with a the stream starting on the floor>
<rip a very wet sounding fart that definitely sprayed the inside of your underwear>
<continue pissing with the stream gaining strength and hitting the wall below the urinal>
<try and spit in the urinal again, but it likely drops directly on your dick>
<as soon as the first 10 piss droplets enter the urinal, lose stream strength and resume pissing on the wall and then the floor>
<wildly shake so that the remaining piss droplets land on your shoes and pant legs>
<zip up>
<leave the bathroom without even considering washing your hands>
<light another smoke, then exit the building>

The most disgusting thing that directly happened to me was when I was using a urinal in shorts and sandals in the summer, and some guy did this, but I could feel his wayward piss hitting my bare legs and feet. When I went to the sink and started to cup water and pour it on my legs he just looked at me and grinned. (China wins again)

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Blistex posted:

You're missing quite a few steps. Proper Chinese urinal etiquette is more along the lines of...
Don't forget the part where this is the first piss of the day (at 16:00) because TCM theory states that it is possible to poison yourself on more than 500mL of water per day. The piss is nearly brown at this point, and it reeks of nicotine and garlic.

bro u r a foreigner banging chinese girls u r still scum
That's a race-mixer, which I admitted I still am. In the future I will only be banging my VR robot sex machine and virtually race-mixing.

ladron posted:

MISCEGENATIONIST!! JEWY SKATEBOARDING MISCEGINATIONIST!!!
It hurts, bro. It hurts :(

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Blistex posted:

<walk in, drop cigarette butt into the urinal>
<hock a loogie at the urinal, but more likely hit the wall>
<unbuckle, drop trou, lift shirt>
<start pissing, with a the stream starting on the floor>
<rip a very wet sounding fart that definitely sprayed the inside of your underwear>
<continue pissing with the stream gaining strength and hitting the wall below the urinal>
<try and spit in the urinal again, but it likely drops directly on your dick>
<as soon as the first 10 piss droplets enter the urinal, lose stream strength and resume pissing on the wall and then the floor>
<wildly shake so that the remaining piss droplets land on your shoes and pant legs>
<zip up>
<leave the bathroom without even considering washing your hands>
<light another smoke, then exit the building>

The most disgusting thing that directly happened to me was when I was using a urinal in shorts and sandals in the summer, and some guy did this, but I could feel his wayward piss hitting my bare legs and feet. When I went to the sink and started to cup water and pour it on my legs he just looked at me and grinned. (China wins again)

Very good, very good.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
THE SOLDIER:

Sooooo.... I did something new. I added a girl from Tantan that seemed nice (that's not the new part). She had a sense of humor and was really not into materialism at all, and griped about how the people here are obsessed with earning and spending money on stupid poo poo. She said she couldn't understand any of it. That got my interest because this kind of thinking is rare outside the Buddhists and other religious Chinese I have met.
She sent me the "what are you doing?" and I sent her a photo of my view laying on my bed with my laptop, watching a movie. She responded with a photo of her own in a similar position. I was looking at the stuff in her room when I spot a hat that looks very much like a police uniform hat. My worst fears have come true. Instead of panicking, I ask her if the hat is hers. "No, it's my sister's. She's with the police." That's bad, but not so bad. Still bad enough I might not accept to meet her. We keep talking and everything is fine and she's really nice and I could see her heart was in a very good place. She was so different from any other Chinese girl I had talked to since being back that I forgot that she was Chinese.

She wanted to hang out, so we met face to face this weekend. I was waiting at the Metro station for her to arrive when I hear someone shouting "HEY!" I look up and she's there, 100m away, smiling and waving her hands above her head. She walks to the barrier and stands there, and then realizes she can't walk through it, so she goes out the actual exit and then runs to me with a grin the way a puppy is excited at seeing a big awesome dried poop to eat.
I asked her what her job is. Right now it's some simple part-time things while she prepares for getting a different kind of work. "Before that, I was a soldier." What? "I was in the army (some division and title I forgot). We had to do so much exercise every day or go work somewhere. It was difficult, but I think I am not weak like other girls. I learned a lot about how to take care of myself."
She wasn't joking. It was cool to walk at my normal speed and have her keep pace without complaining or asking to sit down. We wanted to go somewhere from where we met, but it was several Metro stops away (like 4km, a quick walk). I recommended we walk instead of take the train, and she said no problem. Any other girl I have met would have asked for a taxi or to get back on the train. She was the one asking me if I was tired, which is LOL considering how much I do move my body on a daily basis. While walking around, she asked me if I believe in UFOs. She said she saw one and now she really believes in UFOs, and this kind of topic is very interesting to her. I'm the paranormal dude in any group, so suddenly I'm rambling like Dale Gribble and it owned.
Later we went to a rich people mall to get something to eat in the supermarket and she pointed at the shops and said "This is foreign." I was like "Yeah, those are all foreign brands." "No, I don't understand why people want to spend so much money. I can't believe this kind of living style. It's like a foreign thing to me."
Well, I was so shocked at her spartan lifestyle choices and simple mindset that I broke my rule. We are not even out of January. I spent 80.60 RMB on food and drinks for us. My streak lasted me six entire months of never paying an yi jiao on any date, but she had me at "UFO" and again at "I don't like spending money."

She was a very sweet, honest person, and completely different from every other Chinese girl I have met. On top of this, despite serving for the Face-havers, she admitted that she didn't think there was enough freedom here for people to believe or do what they want, and she would like to visit other places and see how the people can live their own ways and believe their own ideas. We hung out for four hours and then parted ways.
Sorry, there is no plunge yet. I just thought it was interesting that the first time I ever talked to a Chinese soldier happened to be on a date with one and her telling me I am not as fat and ugly as I claim to be, and also that she was the most level-headed person I have met in this country so far. I think the puppy did enjoy this dried poop.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

THE SOLDIER:

sappy poo poo

smack them brown mongol tittays around already brah

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

ladron posted:

smack them brown mongol tittays around already brah
That crazy is long gone. I was really glad to finally be rid of her. She was extremely jealous and controlling, and it drove her nuts that I wasn't the pushovers she had before me and no amount of moodswingy bullshit was going to get me to bend to it. She was the one that proposed to be FWBs but she couldn't handle it at all.
Every other FWB or "lover" all had their own meltdowns or mental scheming to come up with some way to Face Culture it all back to me. The only one who remained cool was the BBW, and she comes over sometimes and we watch movies and do other things together.

But still, the Mongol was a wild ride and I am glad I got called a "Japanese Dick" in the process.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm genuinely happy that you met a cool ex-soldier lady.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Imperialist Dog posted:

Did you not figure out the compensation lol
Nevertheless, please consider growing a spine or failing that, a stiff upper lip

Phlegmish posted:

You would expect there to be some ingrained sense of etiquette and collective responsibility as a result of the high urban densities they've had for centuries, but time and time again you see this sort of short-sighted selfishness.

"Hmmm, I wonder if Communism, which hasn't been real in China for decades is to blame for citizens feeling alienated from society around them and not something that happens in the rest of the world as well constantly. "

Haier posted:

THE SOLDIER:
Looks like the chinese military has claimed another Island; the heart of Haier~

Hope it works out well for you!

cnut
May 3, 2016

Now you have a reason to stay in China, Haier :q:

Saint Rude
Aug 21, 2009
Can someone please repost Sheep-goats' (I think?) comment about how China is akin to an Orc camp? Tia.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Haier posted:

Well, I was so shocked at her spartan lifestyle choices and simple mindset that I broke my rule. We are not even out of January. I spent 80.60 RMB on food and drinks for us. My streak lasted me six entire months of never paying an yi jiao on any date, but she had me at "UFO" and again at "I don't like spending money."

Too good to be true. Honeypot.

For further information, watch the first three season of Burn Notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

That reminds me; The father of one of the guys I dated was married to a Canadian woman who was probably closer to my age than his. When I met her, our eyes locked and there was immediate, silent understanding. The whole thing actually felt like he was practising for marriage. He even was dating a Chinese girl while dating me, so there's the mistress part. :v:

Being around 15 at the time I'd had dinner with the three of them a few times, and every meal was dead silent, lest someone break the masquerade and result in loss of face.

This was around 2011 so smart phones were pretty common, but even as a shallow, self absorbed, gold digging teenage girl I felt weirded out by how the three of them spent more time staring at their phones then making conversation.

KillingPablo posted:

Oh, had one "5000 years history lol" moment today. Was discussing how to name an upcoming event with a coworker and he suggested "Globalization and Youth Responsibilities Symposium". I pointed out 'youth responsibilities' was strange and asked its meaning so I could figure out how to change it. His response:

Lesson of the day: patriotism is a uniquely Chinese concept that is completely absent in the West.

"China and other western countries"

:raise:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 22, 2017

• Locked thread