Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Im cleaning out my shed to get the slab poured into it. Ive been VERY careful not to pile too much poo poo into it and its still taken me two days and 3 10x5 tandem trailer loads to move it all out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You would be in for a huge surprsie, Wollongong has changed big time

In a good way? I'm trying to convince my better half to leave the US

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I remember coming to the US and thinking that Little Caesars was godlike compared to the poo poo I had elsewhere

You guys have no idea how good you have it wrt pizza
I actually like little ceasars. There are better options out there, but a pizza is like $6, hard to argue with. Also papa murphy's. Round table is good pizza, but its twice the price of papa murphy's which is twice the price of little ceasars. My go to is LC or PM, but I've been attending a weekly game night which is at a round table, and they do have good pizza.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Local pizza can be better but as far as chains go, Papa Johns ain't that bad. They have a lot of 40-50% off coupons which helps.

Do Pizza Huts still have the lunch buffet? I remember being really excited as a kid during the summer because I would get to go there for lunch sometimes.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Any recommendations for a good independent BMW shop in Portland? Found a e39 540it for sale and wanted to get it checked out before I drive down with cash.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah I got one I'll send you a message on fb

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

CharlesM posted:

The Chicago pizza place near me closed :(

I was in Billings this past week and had some deep dish @ Chicago Pizza and Taphouse. It was surprisingly good and the b-side 90s video mix playing in the background in the lounge was awesome. Their Thai Chicken, while not as good as Boston Pizzas Thai Chicken original of circa 2002, was still drat good and had a better crust.

9/10 would go again.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

ALL Pizza Hut's suck. ALL chain pizza places suck

This is the correct answer. The best pizza places are the mom and pop shops. The best pizza I've ever had though was from Chicago. I'd kill a hooker for a legit Chicago pizza right now, the last one I had was NYE 99/00 when I was hanging out in a server room because the client was a paranoid gently caress who thought the world was going to end or some such poo poo even though the server and the equipment for his ISP was only around 10-12 months old. gently caress it, I got paid double time, had free pizza, and played Unreal Tournament until the rear end in a top hat arrived in the morning, got paid, then headed back to CA. gently caress that part of the states.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Ash, Cakefool, Tomarse? We have a job to do.

Alchotron assemble!

I haven't bought a pizza since I stopped living with my parents, I've eaten delivery pizza at parties etc but I don't know where it came from.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goober Peas posted:

I dunno, after I saw how Pizza Hut makes their pizzas, I prefer PJ's to PH.

*TRIGGERED*

I've worked for both, can confirm PJ's is far better in almost every way. Especially with stuff like sanitation and cleaning. :barf: The only thing PH did better was the DM/DO didn't micromanage nearly as bad with PH; PJ's wants to know EVERY-loving-THING, right down to doing a full store inventory (even counting how many pizza boxes are in the store) every night at close. My GM and I would usually do a "well how much does the computer think we should have? gently caress with that number slightly" on a lot of stuff during the week, then do a real count on Sunday, but god help you if the DM/DO caught you doing that. PH does a full inventory monthly, criticals weekly, though to be fair, they do carry a hell of a lot more poo poo than the other 2 big chains, and their supply chain is a lot more complex. PJ's handles all of their own supply chain (from warehouse to trucks), not sure on Dominos, PH outsources everything to multiple companies.

I will never, ever eat Pizza Hut again, unless I'm homeless and someone gives it to me. And even then only if I can heat it up hot enough to get rid of the poo poo from the pizza cutter that hasn't been washed in 2-3 days (and hit the floor several times), or the week and a half old pizza sauce. I saw corporate suit types come in for store visits (since Pizza Hut world HQ was in the next city), and they'd say "yeah, this is good!" when the inside of the place is >100 degrees, dishes are piled 6 feet high on the floor, rodents are running around the freezer, and the oil in the fryers is black and pouring smoke from being used for 2 months. They cared more about people having their nametags on over cleanliness; the last store I worked at got nailed on a corporate inspection because several of us had brought in box fans to help keep us from dying of dehydration in the heat; it was over 100 inside with nearly 100% humidity, 2 ACs sort-of working out of 3, when the place really needed 4 RTUs instead of 3.

Dominos stores seem to be pretty clean, but micromanaged just as bad as PJ's. I've never cared for the taste of their pizza.

The Locator posted:

I like Pizza Hut but the local store is complete poo poo with terrible service and they can never get an order right to save their lives, and they somehow manage to make Pizza Hut pizza terrible compared to where I used to live.

PH service quality really depends on the franchise. Corporate doesn't give two shits about complaints, they just forward them to the franchisee and leave it up to them to handle it. PJ's comes down on you like a ton of bricks over complaints, though the stores I worked in were all corporate.

Also keep in mind PH used to make their own dough in-store every day, and actually cared about quality. Everything (seriously, everything except the soft drinks) comes in frozen these days. I can understand cheese coming in frozen. I can understand meats coming in frozen. But dough and veggies are something you shouldn't be freezing, damnit.

Funny thing about them loving up... the make table display is the best out of the big 3, it shows EVERYTHING you wanted on the pizza. Even the older versions of their POS showed a lot of info, in full color, highlighted, etc. The last store I worked in only had a printer instead of displays, but it would spit out tickets showing everything you needed to know.

PJ's by far had the worst store management software for a long time, and it wasn't helped when they told the company that actually wrote the software to go gently caress themselves, and brought it in-house without any source code. Last I heard they finally ditched the ancient dumb terminals a few years ago, but I'd put money on it being more because it cost more to get actual RS232 dumb terminals vs real POS-oriented computers. I mean FFS, they were running 16 port serial cards on the one PC in the entire store as late as 2013. When I started working for them in 2000, the store I started at (a corporate owned store) was running on a single 486 running BSD, with a small office-grade Panasonic dot matrix printer. End of day reports would take 15+ minutes to even think about starting to print.

Goober Peas posted:

Did they still do the 8oz ladle of grease in the bottom of pan pizzas? When I saw that I never wanted PH again.

They did as of 2015, though it was a big plastic jar full of oil with a ~4 oz squirter (which you'd whack 2-3 times for a large pan). I never once saw the pumps or jars cleaned in ~2 years.

I saw them use fryer oil a few times when they ran out of the regular oil.

Also, loving OUCH if you were working the oven and dropped one of those pans too quickly while wearing shorts (all hot pans went on the lower shelf of the cut table). If they had used the correct amount of oil, it wasn't a big deal. But nobody ever did, and you'd have a quarter inch of boiling hot oil in the bottom of the pan when you tossed it into the stack.

mariooncrack posted:

Do Pizza Huts still have the lunch buffet? I remember being really excited as a kid during the summer because I would get to go there for lunch sometimes.

If you can find a dine-in location, a handful still do a buffet, but only for lunch. The first one I worked at was dine-in, buffet, full bar, delivery, carryout, game room, AND drive-thru (and the owner lost millions on it - it's been vacant for 3 years, property records show he sold it to another LLC he owns last year) - they did a lunch buffet, but not a dinner buffet. Also the sale listings say all equipment is still there - nothing is there except for the 3 compartment sink, vent hoods, and walk in coolers. They even took the DVR with them (but left the cameras, and left a few TVs in the bar).

They had a 1.5 star average on Yelp. :laffo: The server consistently mentioned as good was the only FOH person there that wasn't running out back to smoke a bowl every 10 minutes (most of the BOH did that too). That location also had a call center for all of the local stores within the franchise; I have no idea what they would do with that space, since it's basically a large office within the back of the kitchen, with poo poo HVAC (it shared the kitchen HVAC vents, but no return...)

The Door Frame posted:

All of the buproprion is out of my system and now I can once again drink a half bottle of gin before feeling legitimately drunk again. It's a very weird change and going out may have gotten much more expensive, but at least I shouldn't have to worry about seizures anymore

I wish I could grab an F22C, but for that price, I'd be better off with a K engine that's roughly the same size and mates to a usable 6 speed. The car I'd like to toss it in is a 65whp roadster that's barely 2100lbs. It's currently got the stock, fuel injected, 1.5L transverse iron block, SOHC that it shares with the 128 sedan in it. Even the much larger Honda engine should end up being a bit of weight shaved off when it's all said and done.

I'm not aiming for it to hit 135whp on stock engines, I'm just aiming to hit that number as cheaply as possible. I don't mind peeling the ULEV sticker off an F22b1, throwing in a new cam, stiffer valve springs, bigger injectors, new bearings, and getting a cheap programmable ECU to actually use the power that the engine really should have. Save for actually tuning the new setup, that whole thing will still cost about the same as a good condition H22 and significantly less than a good B18C, or any K series.
I was really excited about finding such a cheap solution to my challenge, but taking another look at the numbers, those second gear ratios really do look kinda lovely on all of the H/F transmissions. It's similar gearing to what's in my Civic DX, which isn't a super attractive driving experience. However, the other 4 gears in F18/F20 transmissions look as close to my Fiat's stock ratios as I can get in a SOHC engine, so I still like them as candidates, even with that blemish. Bonus points to the JDM Preludes and Euro Accords for having a helical LSD option

E: I've viewed most of the OBDII deleters much the same way I view those who are proud of deleting the brake booster, but OBDI actually makes tuning easier? Wouldn't you want as much data as you can reasonably gather?

The OBDI ECUs are easier to modify - a long time ago the P28 ECU was the one to have (92-95 Civic EX - D16Z6) for any 4 cylinder Honda; Hondata still makes a daughterboard for it that lets you hook up a laptop and do real-time datalogging and tuning. It's cheaper than a 3rd party ECU.

The early Honda OBD2 ECUs get only slightly more data than the Honda OBD1 ECUs (all they added was an intake air temp sensor and knock sensor on the D series, for example, and even then only the VTEC version got the knock sensor), you just can't pull it over a standardized port on the OBD1 ECUs. I prefer OBD2 myself due to how easy it is to pull data with a :20bux: Bluetooth adapter and an Android phone, but Honda started going to immobilizers shortly after.switching to OBD2, and at one point they were difficult to get around if you had moved the engine/ECU to a different car that didn't have the supporting hardware. Though I would think a F22 VTEC ECU could run a (stock) F23A1 just fine, you'd probably just need to figure out the wiring and maybe use a couple of different sensors.

I never looked at the F18 or F20, since they weren't available in USDM vehicles (I assume you're not talking about the F20 in the S2k). I think the H has a shorter final drive than the F trans (not 100% on that anymore) and is built a little tougher (also not 100% on that anymore).

Since you're already talking about more than bolt-ons, an OBD1 ECU + Hondata S300 is probably still a good option today. It's still a relatively simple system as far as multiport EFI goes, and pretty drat reliable - and adds relatively easy tuning via laptop. But again, been ages since I played Honda Legos, so I may be way the hell off.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jan 22, 2017

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Door Frame posted:

You poor soul... it needs to have a bizarre Italian name and be run by a tiny, creepily thin Italian man for me to go. The only exception I make is for Paisan's, because they have the sweetest sauces

slidebite posted:

I was in Billings this past week and had some deep dish @ Chicago Pizza and Taphouse. It was surprisingly good and the b-side 90s video mix playing in the background in the lounge was awesome. Their Thai Chicken, while not as good as Boston Pizzas Thai Chicken original of circa 2002, was still drat good and had a better crust.

9/10 would go again.

It was authentic which is nice for a place in Seattle (my dad is from Chicago so is allowed to say what is authentic... :P ) but besides that it was really good. Sad. California Pizza Kitchen used to have a good Thai Chicken that I liked, not sure if they still do. Boston's only has a few places in the U.S. so I've only ever been once in B.C. so I can't really compare.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

ALL Pizza Hut's suck. ALL chain pizza places suck

You would be in for a huge surprsie, Wollongong has changed big time

Dude seriously quit trolling

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Amy's No Cheese pizza is my jam. But why is it more expensive than cheese pizza??

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Adiabatic posted:

What? Chain store pizza is poo poo, whats the troll here?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Adiabatic posted:

It's possible he's not. I'm going to Wollongong in a couple of weeks so I'll check it out

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

slothrop posted:

It's possible he's not. I'm going to Wollongong in a couple of weeks so I'll check it out

And that is also true. It's not the shithole it used to be.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Amy's No Cheese pizza is my jam. But why is it more expensive than cheese pizza??

They've got to take all the cheese off. Labour isn't free.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Homemade pizza is best pizza
It's super easy so if you haven't tried it give it a go

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

poo poo I just found someone selling a morris traveler in pieces near where I live and it's affordable. I don't have any money though. Serves me right for looking.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Galler posted:

That fried crust dripping with grease on a Pizza Hut pan pizza is a guilty pleasure of mine. I only have one a couple times a year and the rest of the pizza is pretty bleh but that crust is magical. Firehouse Pizza is my least favorite chain pizza. It's pretty standard chain pizza but with candy sweet :barf:

For actual good pizza I either make it myself or go to a really excellent local place with a proper wood fired brick oven.

There's a proper Chicago-style pizza place here that does pan pizza right. Two inches deep, crispy crust without being super greasy. Gotta call in advance before I go over there, though, as it's a ~45 minute wait for the oven.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 22, 2017

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

freelop posted:

Homemade pizza is best pizza
It's super easy so if you haven't tried it give it a go

This. It's about a quarter of the price and tenfold the quality of takeaway, and it's piss easy.

Least fancy/most lazy option:
  • Make dough out of 700g water, 800g wheat flour (up to 25% of this can be whole grain), 16g salt and 7g yeast. Knead until you can't feel your arms, then store in fridge for somewhere between 24 and 72 hours. This will make eight pizzas, so scale according to hunger. Or make pizzas three days in a row.
  • Preheat oven to $TEMP_OF_SUN. If you have a pizza stone or a baking steel, use that.
  • Take dough out of fridge to let it get up to room temp, makes it more flexible and easier to work with.
  • Dust you work surface with durum flour (or any flour), gently stretch oil filter sized chunk of dough into something resembling a pizza. Remember, it's not ugly and misshapen, it's artisinal. Finish this on a flour dusted sheet of baking paper so it's easier to move into the oven.
  • Put on whatever pasta/pizza sauce your local grocery store sells in jar.
  • Put on toppings. I like sliced red onion and bell pepper. Cheese can be grated mozzarella or sliced fresh. Some meats, like salami and parma ham, give better results if they're put on right when the pizza comes out of the oven. Do keep moisture content in mind. Fresh mozzarella and lots of watery veggies can make things a bit soggy, but can also be somewhat mitigated with longer baking.
  • Bake for 8-10 minutes.
  • Bake the next one before you eat the first one, that way you won't burn your tongue.
  • If you wanna impress some ladiez, put on fresh basil. If no ladiez are present just crack open a cold one. Or fuckit, do both regardless of company.
  • Stand back and bask in the applause and offers of sexual favours.
Here's a random one I made.

Seriously, by the time you've done this a handful of times, you'll surpass chain store pizza. Easily. From here, the sky's the limit. Home made sauce, sourdough, different cheeses...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

Knead until you can't feel your arms

Greatest purchase ever, if you like baking:

:smug:

My favorite dough is:

375ml water mixed with ~8g of dry yeast and 1/2 tbsp sugar, let sit for a couple of minutes. Mix 500g flour with 2/3rds tbsp salt. Add half of that to the water/yeast mixture and mix together gently into a lumpy paste, don't overwork it. Add a splash of olive oil. Let that mixture sit for half an hour with a cloth over it. Take the resulting yucky-looking stringy mousse and mix in the rest of the flour.

Once it's decently combined, start kneading like a madman (or turn on your fancy electric mixer) and knead the gently caress out of it. Seriously, like 15 minutes if kneading by hand. Lightly add flour as needed. The dough should end up smooth and elastic and not too sticky.

Coat the dough with olive oil, cover it and let it sit for at least an hour.

Remove cover, punch down dough, knead it, reshape into a ball, then coat with olive oil, cover and let rest again for at least 30 minutes.

Done, and it's the best pizza dough I've ever been able to make at home.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah, I have a KitchenAid Artisan (which I have mixed opinions about) but I figured the pizza virgin wouldn't have, so...

Dream machine is a Bjørn Teddy, but I haven't yet found a spare grand to throw at it.

Thanks for the recipe. Just normal flour? No whole grain? It's on the dry side compared to what I usually do, but I'll try to remember to give it a spin.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The recipe calls for 400g ordinary flour (preferably bread flour, high in protein) and 100g tipo 00 flour, if you have it. It's an old-fashioned recipe, from before whole grains became A Thing, but I'm sure you could replace 100g or so.

I bake on an ~8kg, 8mm thick slab of steel, preheated for an additional ~30 minutes after the oven reaches 250°C. I broke 3 or 4 pizza stones before I got this massive beauty, and I highly recommend getting one.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sun's coming up. Perfect time for a Sunday drive.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KozmoNaut posted:

Greatest purchase ever, if you like baking:

:smug:

Do they not sell the Bosch mixers in your area? That's a shame.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

No Bosch can compare to a Kenwood.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

cakesmith handyman posted:

poo poo I just found someone selling a morris traveler in pieces near where I live and it's affordable. I don't have any money though. Serves me right for looking.

If it is any consolation, you have not missed out on a car in CKD condition that you can put together into a working vehicle: you've missed out on some boxes of spare parts that happened to come from the same car.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

spog posted:

If it is any consolation, you have not missed out on a car in CKD condition that you can put together into a working vehicle: you've missed out on some boxes of spare parts that happened to come from the same car.

If you've seen the average morris traveller the only difference is the order the parts turn up on your drive.

It's also like 5 miles from my house so if I had the cash I could probably deliver it piecemeal :v:

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 22, 2017

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Holy poo poo, I just saw this one in the wild:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZABRrctkPcg

Almost couldn't believe it was real.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

Holy poo poo, I just saw this one in the wild:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZABRrctkPcg

Almost couldn't believe it was real.

Yeah, RockAuto is great but they have some weird choices in advertisements

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

If you've seen the average morris traveller the only difference is the order the parts turn up on your drive.
It's the old joke about the guy yelling "Hold hands, lads!" to the woodworm whenever he approached a corner.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, RockAuto is great but they have some weird choices in advertisements

I'm still sad that they passed on my spec work, To Swap A Timing Belt. It's not like it was cheap to hire all those Romanian prostitutes and train them to be court spectators.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sloppy execution. I did one way more betterer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

KozmoNaut posted:

My favorite dough is:

375ml water mixed with ~8g of dry yeast and 1/2 tbsp sugar, let sit for a couple of minutes. Mix 500g flour with 2/3rds tbsp salt. Add half of that to the water/yeast mixture and mix together gently into a lumpy paste, don't overwork it. Add a splash of olive oil. Let that mixture sit for half an hour with a cloth over it. Take the resulting yucky-looking stringy mousse and mix in the rest of the flour.

Once it's decently combined, start kneading like a madman (or turn on your fancy electric mixer) and knead the gently caress out of it. Seriously, like 15 minutes if kneading by hand. Lightly add flour as needed. The dough should end up smooth and elastic and not too sticky.

Coat the dough with olive oil, cover it and let it sit for at least an hour.

Remove cover, punch down dough, knead it, reshape into a ball, then coat with olive oil, cover and let rest again for at least 30 minutes.

Done, and it's the best pizza dough I've ever been able to make at home.

Making pizzas while reading this thread :whatup: I'll try that recipe next time. I don't normally bother proofing yeast, does it make much difference?

Protips:

• You can freeze pizza dough for up to a couple of weeks. It's not as good as fresh, but it's good enough.
  • If you like the base crispy, blind bake for a couple of minutes before you add the toppings (especially juicy stuff like pineapple)
  • Red wine vinegar in the sauce
  • If your mozzarella isn't sold in a container of water, you're doing it wrong

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wolfsbane posted:

I don't normally bother proofing yeast, does it make much difference?

I don't think it's strictly necessary any more, with modern dry yeast. I still do it however, and it doesn't seem to hurt it any.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Seminal Flu posted:

Sloppy execution. I did one way more betterer.

:golfclap:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Waiting for the obligatory CRVEX

Also a Probe rammed into a Volvo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And people thought they wouldn't actually do it...

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/193/text

Jay-sus fookin kroist.

• Locked thread