Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
But you see, water was a THEME. If you don't like themes in your shows, maybe you should just go back to watching Teletubbies like a baby.

Sherlock's childhood trauma kind of involved water (even though he never found out how the kid died, or he did and he repressed it, or something?) and therefore a few of the mysteries he solved also involved water, it's like poetry, they rhyme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

SEX BURRITO posted:

The absolute raft of poo poo articles and stupid social media arguments it'd cause would be tedious as hell. It's bad enough for any new actor becoming doctor who and facing the army of nerds. Imagine the crap a woman would face if she took the role.

The doctor regenerating into a woman has come up every time they announce the current one is leaving. There already have been rafts of poo poo articles and stupid social media arguments about the mere possibility of a woman becoming the Doctor.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
After the gigantic shitfit Reddit threw over the Ghostbusters remake I'll be shocked if they ever have a female Doctor.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The misogyny thing with the new Ghostbusters was largely a red herring perpetuated by a studio and producers who knew that their product was a cinematic mouthful of smegma. The backlash was because the public could see what it was and didn't want to eat it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Beens posted:

The doctor regenerating into a woman has come up every time they announce the current one is leaving. There already have been rafts of poo poo articles and stupid social media arguments about the mere possibility of a woman becoming the Doctor.

I remember when Tennant announced he was leaving but before Smith had been announced, there was this big double-page spread in the Daily Mail speculating on who it could be next, with guys like Paterson Joseph, Peter Capaldi, James McAvoy (since I think he was mainly known for State of Play then and hadn't gone to America to make superhero movies yet), Bill Nighy, Richard E. Grant, James Nesbitt et al. and right in the middle, a great big picture of Catherine Zeta-Jones.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I've never really watched Doctor Who, but do people who like it think Capaldi was a misstep? Seems a bit like it to me. Hard to pander to tumblr girls making homoerotic fanfiction when the main guy is a 60 year old man

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paperhouse posted:

I've never really watched Doctor Who, but do people who like it think Capaldi was a misstep? Seems a bit like it to me. Hard to pander to tumblr girls making homoerotic fanfiction when the main guy is a 60 year old man

I think most people like him but think it's the stories that are disappointing.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Capaldi is trying to play one kind of Doctor and Moffat & Co. are trying to write for another. Specifically, Capaldi is going for the style of the first doctor who was rather remote, dry, and cerebral, and the producers are writing for a children's picnic at a home for retarded clowns.

It is shameful that they are squandering Capaldi instead of tailoring the programme around his performance. The man's a world class actor who is slumming it on a BBC family programme solely because he is a huge dork who has loved Who his whole life. And instead of utilising their incredible, inexplicable good fortune, they make him sword fight with spoons and fire golden arrows thousands of feet into the air to bad touch alien ships.

It's like having Pink Floyd offer to perform on your radio show and you insisting that they only play Westlife covers, with dustbin lids for instruments.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 21, 2017

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I just looked at an article of five actors who should NOT be the next Doctor: Matt Smith, Emma Watson, Mark Gatiss, Hugh Laurie and Adam Sandler. Hard to disagree with imo, great article.

Imagine if Gatiss wrote himself into it though. I bet he'd love to, the prick.

How about this: Ricky Gervais? And he gets to co-write as well. He goes to a planet with loads of dwarfs or just ugly people or something and teaches people not to make fun of them. It writes itself.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I bet Tom Hardy would be up for it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They should get Dwayne Johnson to do it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Capaldi is trying to play one kind of Doctor and Moffat & Co. are trying to write for another. Specifically, Capaldi is going for the style of the first doctor who was rather remote, dry, and cerebral, and the producers are writing for a children's picnic at a home for retarded clowns.

It is shameful that they are squandering Capaldi instead of tailoring the programme around his performance. The man's a world class actor who is slumming it on a BBC family programme solely because he is a huge dork who has loved Who his whole life. And instead of utilising their incredible, inexplicable good fortune, they make him sword fight with spoons and fire golden arrows thousands of feet into the air to bad touch alien ships.

It's like having Pink Floyd offer to perform on your radio show and you insisting that they only play Westlife covers, with dustbin lids for instruments.

What a loving shame, glad I put that stuff on hold as I was busy watching other stuff but wasting Capaldi like that has killed my interest in checking the ones out entirely.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Heaven Sent showed what he's capable of. He has been pretty under-utilized otherwise.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
To me what makes it worse is that most of the Matt Smith run was pretty well written and functioned as an all ages programme. It's like they decided to go explicitly Cbeebies with the Capaldi run, without telling him.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They should just get Cumberbatch to be the next Doctor. Get it over with.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

His series will be the one focused on intergalactic bake offs and space ballroom dancing with minor fallen from grace space leaders.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

My Lovely Horse posted:

It seems like they can barely get him to do Sherlock, which is bigger budget and less episodes. He's definitely above Who and so is Capaldi really. They're better off finding a relative unknown like Matt Smith again

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Reggie Yates has a new two part series on Australia.

First episode was about Aborgines and the town of Wilcannia.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They should get Reggie Yates to be Dr Who.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

goatface posted:

I'm down for that, he'd certainly do something more interesting than spoon fighting space aliens or whaever.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
capaldi still has some decent to good episodes under his belt
season 9's let him down more than season 8

also I finally saw the last sherlock episode

wasnt as awful as the buzz made it sound, but it was definitely not as good as the 2nd episode
for one thing, spend more time on the resolution and less time on the wacky opening. Euros was stopped quite sudden
and yes a lot of the pre-episode build-up didnt play off, nor was it really explained

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Reggie Yates is fantastic. Let him present every documentary please.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The Sherlock finale was an incredible disaster. The one bright note was the appearances of Moriarty - I know the villain intended those scenes to add to the tension, but instead whenever the klaxons started wailing and Andrew Scott showed up I started smiling and remembering better seasons past. Also, why did they title that DVD "MISS YOU" and not "BABY'S FIRST CODA" because that was the most heavy-handed thing I've seen on TV this year.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

goatface posted:

He was briefly in Dr Who as Martha's brother. But there was some contractual gently caress-up and his character never appeared again after "Smith & Jones".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

goatface posted:

thehustler posted:

I really hope they rush out some sort of Rivers of London adaptation before he's too old to play Peter Grant. :allears:

(Given how good he's looking at 57 (!) I reckon Paul McGann still has about 20 years left before he's too old to play Nightingale.)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Maelstache posted:

He was briefly in Dr Who as Martha's brother. But there was some contractual gently caress-up and his character never appeared again after "Smith & Jones".

That kind of poo poo has never stopped them before.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Wheat Loaf posted:

I really hope they rush out some sort of Rivers of London adaptation before he's too old to play Peter Grant. :allears:

(Given how good he's looking at 57 (!) I reckon Paul McGann still has about 20 years left before he's too old to play Nightingale.)

They can always downplay the reverse ageing a little.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
anyone in here watching taboo? no idea why i should give a poo poo about any of the characters.

and every single episode of sherlock s4 was loving horrendous

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yes
loving
Please

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

thehustler posted:

After watching the series of him in Russia, he's definitely a follow of the Theroux School Of Giving Them Enough Rope. He just asks the most innocent questions and lets the interviewee just go off on their own spiel.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I always liked that girl from Luton, what's her name, Stacey Dooley!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

anyone in here watching taboo? no idea why i should give a poo poo about any of the characters.

I am.

Because is good telly.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Pissflaps posted:

I bet Tom Hardy would be up for it.

goatface posted:

They should get Dwayne Johnson to do it.

goatface posted:

any of these would make me at least watch one episode, but I'd definitely watch the crap out of The Rock as Dr Who

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
He could have a wee fellow as his companion. And every time he opened the door of the Tardis a disembodied voice would cry out "it's Taz!"

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Escobarbarian posted:

and every single episode of sherlock s4 was loving horrendous

I've been told by one of my friends (and all of twitter) to watch the paedo episode but I don't think I will, cos I can't imagine how it won't be offensively poo poo

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Just finished watching Sherlock on DVR.

What a trainwreck. Booooo.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
There was a woman Doctor once.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM&t=437s

Al2001 posted:

I've been told by one of my friends (and all of twitter) to watch the paedo episode but I don't think I will, cos I can't imagine how it won't be offensively poo poo

All the good character stuff is brushed aside last minute when another character reveals it to be their plan all along for the characters to be interesting and for actions to feel like they have consequences but syke it was just pretend. Besides that it was pretty decent, few cool bits. EDIT: Wait nevermind, thought you were talking about the Saville tribute episode.

Paperhouse posted:

I just looked at an article of five actors who should NOT be the next Doctor: Matt Smith, Emma Watson, Mark Gatiss, Hugh Laurie and Adam Sandler. Hard to disagree with imo, great article.

Imagine if Gatiss wrote himself into it though. I bet he'd love to, the prick.

How about this: Ricky Gervais? And he gets to co-write as well. He goes to a planet with loads of dwarfs or just ugly people or something and teaches people not to make fun of them. It writes itself.

I was going to shout and say Hugh Laurie would be an amazing Doctor, but then I thought it would be terrible to see him as the puppet of a bad writer. If he got to write it though,, that'd be amazing.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 23, 2017

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Prop Wash posted:

Also, why did they title that DVD "MISS YOU" and not "BABY'S FIRST CODA" because that was the most heavy-handed thing I've seen on TV this year.

It would work so much better as Mary leaving so there's no spy-riffic threats to Watson and daughter and leaving these missives from wherever she is in the world, but instead they had her die for a stupid reason.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

any of these would make me at least watch one episode, but I'd definitely watch the crap out of The Rock as Dr Who

Who's to say a regeneration can't turn him into 2 muscly men carrying a skinnier one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Gordon Kaye died. :(