Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Marched yesterday, good numbers and good messages. Going to the women's march today in a bit, despite misgivings. Stay safe everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Women's march in Chicago est 250k possibly more, they couldn't march because the entire route was filled with people so it became a rally instead. Illinois may have its problems but hating fascists ain't one. Even my podunk town managed 5k and more that wanted to go but couldn't.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Just got back from the Women's March in Austin, TX. It was much bigger than I was expecting, and had a great atmosphere, don't think I saw a single counter-protester either. About 30,000 attendees were expected to be there but the latest estimate is about 40,000

Ziggy Starfucker fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 21, 2017

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Anyone at the Women's March in D.C. in the thread? Recently got back from the one in Houston and I know many more people drove to the one in Austin. Ours was a bit disorganized and slapdash but supposedly about 22,000 people showed up, and I passed by our former mayor Annise Parker while I was walking along the bayou to get to the crowd. Everyone marched to city hall and it got pretty packed, dense crowds of people holding signs for as far as I could see, I feel bad for everyone way in the back who couldn't hear anything. Our speakers included a transwoman judge spreading awareness about the harmful house bills regarding bathroom laws that discriminate against trans people, the League of Women Voters who had a setup to register people to vote, one of our congressmen who didn't go to the inauguration, someone from the NAACP, various city council members, the chief of police (I think?), various activists, and our mayor came out around the end and seemed really good at playing up the crowd. The one speaker that really lost me was a mother rambling about buying her daughter's unnecessarily expensive clothes because she wanted her to grow up to be a politician, I kind of get what she was going for but the message was completely muddled. I came with both of my parents and my mom was saying how happy she is that our local govt shows up to openly support these things.

I'm really glad for all this huge turnout across the country and I hope most of these people can stay engaged. Let em know how many of us are pissed.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
After the depressing shittiness of 20th, the quantity and quality of these marches give me a some hope. :unsmith:

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
We went to the DC march. Had no idea it would be so large. Estimated at half a million. It was a very long day... Waited at the Greenbelt station in long lines for about 1.5 hours. Then the metro was really backed up. We had a good day. It was real solid in spirit and energy, but the march route changed and nobody in our crowd knew.

My main takeaway/hope is that this is a true grassroots movement that will live beyond one day. I was honestly surprised at the number of marches way surpassing expected numbers all around the world. My sense in DC is that yes there are a large number of issues being protested, but there is also just the common knowledge that Trump is a liar and an idiot. This simple fact is lost in the news reports later, lacking investigative reporting--as Jessica Huseman noted, it's all access journalism, which thoroughly misses the chance to factually debunk things like Spicer's weird press statement later.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 22, 2017

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ruzihm posted:

This was the most exciting part of my day at DC https://www.facebook.com/bernlennials/videos/1157530141012568/ I manage to get in frame at -0:11 :coal:

"Oh hey it's Vermin Supreme"

:allears:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Just back from the San Jose march. Amazing numbers (was hearing 30k+) for the south bay, especially with SF and Oakland having their own marches. The route planned just couldn't hold us and it turned into more of a slow walk, but it was great. Had a sign with "Bargain Together or Beg Alone" on one side and "Equal Pay Equal Rights" on the other and, with my Teachers Union shirt on, I got a lot of comments and cheers from people. Good times and really energizing. The challenge will be to turn this 1) into a long term thing and 2) ensure it spreads beyond specifically anti-trump to advancing progressive issues.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Cross posting from the DC regional thread:

shirts and skins posted:

That was crazy! They predicted 200K people, so we figured we could leave Ballston around 8:45 and be fine. Noooope! Metro was out with bullhorns saying the trains were full, seek other forms of transport. Waited at the cab stand, hopped in a cab to Crystal City--was one of the last four to squeeze on a yellow line. Off at L'Enfant, and it was a madhouse down there!

200K? So, so many more than that. Independence Ave was full end to end, at least Capitol Hill to the Holocaust Museum. Side streets were full too, big crowd on the mall apparently. One friend at 7th and Constitution NW said Constitution, 7th, and Pennsylvania were all full up to that point. It kept filling in as the rally went on, too. We stood by the Dept of Energy, and that space went from sparse behind the people in the front row to absolutely jam packed.

A little disorganized, the speakers went on too long and people got antsy enough to march that the took off on side streets. Messy, but very neat to see. A great scene, lots of love all around.

I work in DC and I'd call 500K a conservative estimate. Massive, massive crowd. Lots and lots of calls to continued action, too. Lots of people trying to organize. Here's hoping that energy translates to local movements.

One comparison shot: https://twitter.com/pgcornwell/status/822865324932415488

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 22, 2017

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
This is a hard thing to gauge from on the ground experience. I was at the rally to restore sanity and in the moment it felt like there were a million of us. If I recall correctly we didn't break 150,000. Still, today's march seemed to well surpass expectations. Looking forward to a scientific head count of all the weekends events.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm getting heckled for going to the Women's March in Denver by people who are going "oh look now you people decide to protest after Trump gets elected. Twitter school of activism lol". I don't even know what the retort for that even is beyond imagining what that person's face looks like with my fist buried in it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Star Man posted:

I'm getting heckled for going to the Women's March in Denver by people who are going "oh look now you people decide to protest after Trump gets elected. Twitter school of activism lol". I don't even know what the retort for that even is beyond imagining what that person's face looks like with my fist buried in it.

"Tell that to the Tea Party." If retorting is something you're afforded the opportunity to do, anyway; the usual solution is to ignore them or shout louder.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
130k in Seattle, buses on the way there were backed up two deep and completely full.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This is a hard thing to gauge from on the ground experience. I was at the rally to restore sanity and in the moment it felt like there were a million of us. If I recall correctly we didn't break 150,000. Still, today's march seemed to well surpass expectations. Looking forward to a scientific head count of all the weekends events.

Yeah, tough to say. Estimates are all over the place, I've heard 500k by noon and 1 million to 1.3 million total. Not sure how on earth you'd estimate that, there were so many people on side streets and behind buildings.

Someone got on top of the FAA and shot a video of 7th and Independence. https://twitter.com/DMVFollowers/status/822973764703027201

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

This is exciting. Let's keep up the momentum. Time to organize!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I don't have any picture yet (uploading) but the DC march was indeed spectacular. I was with my mother (she came down with 4 others, family and friends) and we tried to get close to the stage for the pre-show speeches, but the mass was too tight, so we retreated to a bar where we could hear the speeches and see the crowd. We are talking multiple hours of a more or less constant stream of people down 7th street, with signs and energy... it was truly awesome to see, and even more to be a part of when the march started and we went all around downtown.

It does feel like something is beginning, but we do need to keep it up. I'm going to my first DSA chapter meeting tomorrow, and I intend to call my congressman as much as possible in the future.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I marched in solidarity with twenty five thousand people in my city and it was extremely cool. Sadly I couldn't find the DSA banner-- I wanted to march with them. I'll hit them up on the casual meet-up night next week.

E:

It was actually more than 75k. no wonder I couldn't find one specific contengent.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 22, 2017

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I was told I should post here about singing with Vermin Supreme for a bit during the Washington March. We sang about hotdogs, applesauce, and smashing the patriarchy. He was chilling underneath a median traffic post on Pennsylvania Ave.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Trebuchet King posted:

I was told I should post here
Who sent you

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

A wobbly comrade got his rear end shot by a nazi sympathizer at a protest. There's a fundraiser for anyone with a spare :10bux:.

https://www.crowdrise.com/medical-fundraiser-for-iww-and-gdc-member-shot-in-seattle

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

I donated and spread the word. Here's hoping the guy who pulled the trigger was a skittish idiot rather than a fash.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

:hfive:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I donated and spread the word. Here's hoping the guy who pulled the trigger was a skittish idiot rather than a fash.

Same. Solidarity!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I went to the march in SF last night, and it was giant, despite heavy rain. The official estimate is 100,000 people, but I think it was larger than that. The entire length of market street from Civic center to the ferry building (roughly two miles, or the entire length of downtown SF) was completely packed with people. The last time I saw anything close to that was the Giants world series parade, which while noticeably larger, filled roughly the same area and was supposedly over 1 million strong. I wouldn't be surprised if it was more like 200k people at the march rather than 100k

https://twitter.com/mikefarrell/status/822984329718427651?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/joshgiersch/status/822992678514106368?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/elcush/status/822985868403056640?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

the rally at civic center before the march:

60,000-100,000 people also marched in Oakland:

https://twitter.com/wmbayarea/status/822929347346448384?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

A good song:

https://twitter.com/SarRavani/status/822946648720490496?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
New Hampshire's North Country has 33,000 people in it. Organizer's in Lancaster expected 100 people to turn up, but 400 did!

http://www.concordmonitor.com/NH-March-North-Country-7617439

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Phoenix's march was also really incredible (Fav sign= shut up trump and make me a sandwich). About 5-7k were expected, and estimates put it at over 20k. Was my first event like that ever, and although we're leaving the area in a few weeks I can't wait to get more involved after we get settled in our next state! All of the speakers were women of color and spoke about intersectionality and it was really powerful and inspiring to see people like my old white dad almost moved to tears and ready to fight for more in the coming years. gently caress the one guy at the end of the March menacingly filming everyone though!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Iron Lung posted:

Phoenix's march was also really incredible (Fav sign= shut up trump and make me a sandwich). About 5-7k were expected, and estimates put it at over 20k. Was my first event like that ever, and although we're leaving the area in a few weeks I can't wait to get more involved after we get settled in our next state! All of the speakers were women of color and spoke about intersectionality and it was really powerful and inspiring to see people like my old white dad almost moved to tears and ready to fight for more in the coming years. gently caress the one guy at the end of the March menacingly filming everyone though!

Nice, and yeah gently caress that one guy.

The best chant at the SF march was "hands too small, can't build a wall"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rah! posted:

We were singing that one in Denver, too.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Rah! posted:

Heard this one in Oakland, too, which had its own massive crowd. Couple miles of streets completely packed, I read 60,000 but it was definitely more.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Rah! posted:

This was also repeated at the DC protests, along with "We want a leader not a creepy tweeter".

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Star Man posted:

We were singing that one in Denver, too.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

This was also repeated at the DC protests, along with "We want a leader not a creepy tweeter".

:hellyeah:

Another good one was "small hands, small feet, all he does is tweet tweet tweet"

Zesty Mordant posted:

Heard this one in Oakland, too, which had its own massive crowd. Couple miles of streets completely packed, I read 60,000 but it was definitely more.

Yeah, the estimates for Oakland range from 60,000 to 80,000, to 100,000. I wish i could have gone to the oakland march too (poo poo i live pretty much right next to where it happened), I'll definitely be at the next one.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Boston was around 120k from what I've heard. For a city of our size, that's pretty loving good. Way more than I expected, at least. Gonna be attending the next Boston DSA general meeting.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Alternative facts = lies. Ug, media.

We went back to DC today and saw the hundreds (thousands) of leftover signs not yet taken away. It was the first time I'd been there in the city outside marching. I literally missed seeing the White House for being so fascinated by the signs.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Pollyanna posted:

Boston was around 120k from what I've heard. For a city of our size, that's pretty loving good. Way more than I expected, at least. Gonna be attending the next Boston DSA general meeting.

I had some friends attend the Boston march. Some headed down from NH. I went to the Concord march.

Did the Boston DSA talk to a lot of people? Positive reception from those talked to?

I really want this march to motivate people to get involved.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Kekekela posted:

Who sent you

white guy, black pressed suit, earpiece, dark sunglasses. why?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

OhFunny posted:

I had some friends attend the Boston march. Some headed down from NH. I went to the Concord march.

Did the Boston DSA talk to a lot of people? Positive reception from those talked to?

Boston DSA seemed to have a very small presence at the march, and I just sorta stood around with them for an hour or so before I walked around elsewhere. They didn't seem too excited or engaged, just kinda handed out fliers silently. Not as exciting as I'd hoped, but hey, gotta start somewhere.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
(crosspost from cspam)

I found a pretty interesting guide on reddit on how to run for public office that would probably fit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Political_Revolution/comments/5pg7bq/how_to_run_for_local_office_a_small_guide_by/

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I've seen the DSA mentioned in the OP and a few times on this page. Any goons have experience with the Chicago chapter? I'm new to the area and trying to figure out where to jump in.

they have some kind of intro event on the 28th so I'll just go no matter what but any testimonials are cool

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

OhFunny posted:

I got the impression we didn't use it as an aggressive recruiting ground, which in retrospect may have been a mistake. We got some good chanting going at the march, I did some shilling of the RaiseUp Mass legislation, and firmly explained to some young anarchists the importance of loving registering to loving vote you idiot poo poo kids - but, yeah, maybe it was a wasted opportunity. I did recruit a nice old lady at the Burger King, though.

Everyone who signed up for the march through EventBrite is now being mobilized by the WFP, MoveOn, and some other org to harry their reps on a weekly basis. So there will be some motivating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

I've seen the DSA mentioned in the OP and a few times on this page. Any goons have experience with the Chicago chapter? I'm new to the area and trying to figure out where to jump in.

they have some kind of intro event on the 28th so I'll just go no matter what but any testimonials are cool

I'm with NYC, but I hear Chicago mentioned sometimes as also being pretty big. I think it's broken into a branch or two already, which is a good indicator of size and organization.

Big thing with Chicago is that the DSA conference is there this summer. So, I'm assuming the chapter will be involved with hosting in the same way the DC DSA helped put together the Women's March contingent.

• Locked thread