Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Being Loyalist Real Hahahaha Just Walk Away From The False Emperor Like Join Horus Haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Being Loyalist Real Hahahaha Just Walk Away From The False Emperor Like Join Horus Haha

:perfect:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

TTerrible posted:

I don't understand why you're all having problems with the Kheres when you've put together Caestus and Storm Eagles :stare:

Caestus and Fire raptor vet: because it's not tiny and fiddly and you have to align them all properly or it looks like rear end, or doesn't work at all.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

My Kheres were incredibly easy to assemble. Be better

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Bulbasaur developed a multi-year process to paint 10 guys that involves, among other things, dental tools and several different kinds of industrial solvents but can't align six rods to their holes.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The Kheres barrels aren't too bad. I had to shave them down slightly and maybe bend some but they assembled no problem.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Mine were a big pain and I replaced them with brass rod. I always wondered why so many dudes online had brass rod barrels and now I understand their pain.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Schedule for the weekender:

Some notes:

Sales begin on Friday evening!!! (Rules on Friday? Maybe!)

Ordo Sinister is featured in Inferno (that's the imperator titan group).

Book 8 is called Angelus and we're getting a preview.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
If Angelus gets a 2017 release then welp :homebrew:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I am unreasonably excited. Excited about a tiny preview of dorks. :retrogames:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 23, 2017

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I thought they said that the only HH book to come out in 2017 would be Inferno.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Inferno is definitely going to be book 4 5 6 gently caress it 7!

We totally didn't forget about like the first models for the Siege Tyrants, don't worry it's under control!

Do not trust Forge World schedules. Like, trust them even less than you trust me.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Once I start putting up the pics of this

Everyone should double check that I didn't try editing the point values.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

GW/FW hasn't given a reason to believe what they say the release schedule is for like a decade now.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

This is my favourite post of 2017 so far, possibly the century.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
All credit to ijyt for that. I just stole it from Slack.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

TTerrible posted:

All credit to ijyt for that. I just stole it from Slack.

Just have to make one with your Weird Gary Oldman face on now.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I got to take part in a GoWarHead Horus Heresy event on Sunday, and managed to walk away with the Best Army award with my Death Guard loyalists:

The Facebook photo gallery has more pictures of all the armies involved in the event, including a friend's Emperor's Children with awesome freehanded filigree work. In general, I found all the armies at the event to be all sorts of cool and awesome, with lots of lovely conversions and sexy paint jobs. The actual players were pretty nice people to hang around with, too, and though I got thoroughly whupped in two of my three matches I had a great time. Definitely would like to have another go, although 1750 points seems a tad bit low for a 30K point limit.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Drake_263 posted:

I got to take part in a GoWarHead Horus Heresy event on Sunday, and managed to walk away with the Best Army award with my Death Guard loyalists:

The Facebook photo gallery has more pictures of all the armies involved in the event, including a friend's Emperor's Children with awesome freehanded filigree work. In general, I found all the armies at the event to be all sorts of cool and awesome, with lots of lovely conversions and sexy paint jobs. The actual players were pretty nice people to hang around with, too, and though I got thoroughly whupped in two of my three matches I had a great time. Definitely would like to have another go, although 1750 points seems a tad bit low for a 30K point limit.

Well deserved, friend. Your army looks great

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Duuuuuuuuuuuude. That's a sweet army!

The large majority of games I've played have been in the 1500-1850 points range, and I've found I really like 1500 points- it's a sweet spot where you can skew your list and take a goofy rite or something, but you can't cover all your bases or jam in a big busted LoW choice. I like having to work through those constraints more than being able to pack up all my toys and slam them on the table.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Thank you!

We tend to play tournaments with Lords of War disallowed, which is kind of a shame since I have a kickass Typhon I'd love to take out for a spin. That said, it's not like I mind compact lists; there's something challenging about building a list that can perform with such limited constraints. Case in point, the Mortis boxnaughts proved surprisingly adept at blasting Gal Vorbak apart! Maybe 2000 just sounds like a sweet round number to me.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's an exellent looking army, Drake_263. This guy in particular just owns:

What sorts of armies did you go up against?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Thanks! I had a lot of fun painting him. In tournament tradition, of course I only just finished him right before the tournament (along with the other scythe sergeant and my lieutenant-captain AKA Delegatus)

My first match was against some Imperial Fists. Dude actually had the only flier in the event, a Primaris Lightning, paired with a Spartan, some Templar Brethren, and a handful of Cataphractii with freaking Sigismund himself leading them. My heavy flamer support squad melted the Cataphractii from around him and left Siggy at one wound; after which my Deathshroud with the Delegatus failed their charge on him, finally got the charge on the next turn, and utterly failed to hit him. Pair that with an outflanking Veteran squad and some lucky lascannon shots from the Spartan taking out my AA and I got thoroughly swept. Still a great dude and he clearly knew his army, although I'll freely admit that my absolutely terrible dice rolls didn't do great things to my spirits.

My second game was up against some Dark Angels; he had a couple of Tactical Squads, a Honor Guard with his Praetor, a Librarian, a pair of Contemptors, and a Deredeo. I crammed both Land Raiders down the dreadnoughts' throats while my multimelta rhinos ran around sniping at exposed back facings and generally making a hassle of themselves. It was a tight neck-and-neck match that could've gone either way on any turn but in the end I won that one with with 11 victory points to his 6. That Dark Angels 'give 1d3 VP to the enemy if he has more dudes standing than you' rule is pretty brutal, especially if you like to roll 3s on it.

My third game matched me with Word Bearers. He had two Rhinos, two squads of Gal Vorbak, a metric poo poo-ton of tactical marines and freaking Erebus leading them. I expected I'd just weather down the Tacticals, but got soundly trumped instead; there were just too many bodies for me to take down, especially once the Gal Vorbak hit my lines. That sea of red and black 'just tacticals' was surprisingly scary to face. The dude I played against kept joking that my poor luck with dice was due to my dudes serving the wrong side - turns out he's one of the local hardcore tournament players so I'm not surprised I got my butt handed to me, I tend to end up more painting than playing. Still had a fun match and I'll definitely be looking forwards to a rematch, after I've tweaked my list a little...

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 24, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Drake_263 posted:

My second game was up against some Dark Angels; he had a couple of Tactical Squads, a Honor Guard with his Praetor, a Librarian, a pair of Contemptors, and a Deredeo. I crammed both Land Raiders down the dreadnoughts' throats while my multimelta rhinos ran around sniping at exposed back facings and generally making a hassle of themselves. It was a tight neck-and-neck match that could've gone either way on any turn but in the end I won that one with with 11 victory points to his 6. That Dark Angels 'give 1d3 VP to the enemy if he has more dudes standing than you' rule is pretty brutal, especially if you like to roll 3s on it.
That rule sucks, but it's number of units, not number of actual dudes which mitigates it somewhat.

Seriously though, that rule loving sucks.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

That rule sucks, but it's number of units, not number of actual dudes which mitigates it somewhat.

It is not a good rule at all!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

The only things he had left standing were an immobilized Rhino, the Deredeo at one HP, and a mostly-unmolested Tactical squad that ran to grab the objective on my side (we did Onslaught - Hammer and Anvil in that match, so the short edges of the table against one another where each player tries to capture a 5-VP objective in the other player's deployment zone) while the rest of his army was busy getting mauled.

Things probably would've been different if my first opening salvo with the lascannons hadn't blown up his lascannon Contemptor - he really didn't have anything left that could hurt my Land Raider, let alone two of the drat things. His remaining heavy bolter Contemptor charged the Phobos, failed to penetrate the armor, and got splatted by the pintle-mounted melta, all the while said Land Raider failed to give a single gently caress about the Deredeo's anvilus autocannons until after it'd done its job and thrown my Deathshroud and Delegatus at the objective on his side of the table.

Next time I'll definitely scrounge the points for vexillas for the Tacticals, though. I think in all my games, there was at least one squad that got stuck in a meatgrinder of a combat against another, both sides losing people evenly until I'd lose by like one wound, faff my Leadership check, and have the rest of the squad slaughtered as they tried to run.

Also I found out that rad grenades are hilariously evil - I played The Reaping and made sure every squad had rads. Turns out nobody really wants to charge a unit that has ten shredding heavy flamers that wound you on twos.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Can anyone recommend a decent loadout for a close combat oriented Terminator squad?

Are double claws worth it? Volkite?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Lobster God posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent loadout for a close combat oriented Terminator squad?

Phoenix Spears :v:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Funny about that WB infantry list. I've been thinking about running a list with just a ton of bodies as well. WB are a good choice for it due to their strong leadership. Makes you less likely to run away. Then again, when you face down that guy with a Typhon or a 'Friend Maker' it's probably really rough going.

Lobster God posted:

Double claws are the only real trap choice. Buy more bodies instead. Volkite looks cool, but for the same price you can grab a combi weapon. 7 point combi weapons don't grow on trees! If you're going against TEQ/deathstars, grab cataphractii terminator armour and power fists. Combi melta is a good choice as well since it's assault. If you're going against MEQ grab tartaros and a single lightning claw per dude. Sergeants are a good place for a chainfist in both builds. As for your special weapon, autocannons are good if you play against admech or humans. Plasma blaster if you play against marines.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 24, 2017

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Lobster God posted:

I like keeping things cheap- just cataphractii with powerfists and a chainfist or two, then bulking out the squad as much as possible. I play DA, so Tartaros with stasis grenade combis and power swords is kind of hilarious, but generally speaking fists are the best bet so you can double out characters.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

JackMack posted:

Just have to make one with your Weird Gary Oldman face on now.

Ouch :(

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Lobster God posted:

Which Legion are you going for?

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

You are right. That was a harsh and unnecessary damning of the good Tterrible name. You did not tell any lies or take false credit. Your avatar is Gary Oldman right? I have been wondering this forever.

AlsoDrake your army looks amazing.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I like keeping things cheap- just cataphractii with powerfists and a chainfist or two, then bulking out the squad as much as possible. I play DA, so Tartaros with stasis grenade combis and power swords is kind of hilarious, but generally speaking fists are the best bet so you can double out characters.

BULBASAUR posted:

Double claws are the only real trap choice. Buy more bodies instead. Volkite looks cool, but for the same price you can grab a combi weapon. 7 point combi weapons don't grow on trees! If you're going against TEQ/deathstars, grab cataphractii terminator armour and power fists. Combi melta is a good choice as well since it's assault. If you're going against MEQ grab tartaros and a single lightning claw per dude. Sergeants are a good place for a chainfist in both builds. As for your special weapon, autocannons are good if you play against admech or humans. Plasma blaster if you play against marines.

Thanks!

Drake_263 posted:

Which Legion are you going for?

Death Guard. I'm looking for a bit of flex in lists, so they may be used in a Pride of the Legion list or in a Reaping based list. Infantry heavy either way!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Drake_263 posted:

Those scythes are :aaaaa:
The army too, but those scythes and how they match the bases.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Lobster God posted:

Thanks!

Death Guard. I'm looking for a bit of flex in lists, so they may be used in a Pride of the Legion list or in a Reaping based list. Infantry heavy either way!

XIV Legion REPRESENT. I'd definitely go with a power scythe for your sergeant, then. Deathshroud scythes are evil - one of the very few AP2 weapons that swing before power fists and the like, and they pair especially well with rad grenades. Going from wounding on 3s and hitting at I3 to wounding on 2s and hitting at I3 on the first round of combat is huge.

Aside from that, I'll echo what others have said - double claws are a trap, the single extra swing isn't worth losing any ranged capability you had and paying like 15 points for the privilege. I'd go for a mix of lightning claws and power fists, possibly chainfists if you can spring for the points just in case you run into a Contemptor or the like. I generally like to have one chainfist per five dudes to a squad but your mileage may vary.

For ranged weapons, the stock combibolter is alright but if you have the points - combi-weapons add a huge punch against your target type of choice, especially when paired with a heavy weapon that compliments them. If you worry about tanks, go with as many combi-meltas as you can comfortably afford; go with plasma blasters and combiplasmas to hunt other Terminators and generally make for a bigass bubble that nobody wants to approach. If you want to be cheap, basic combibolters and a couple of heavy flamers make for a decent anti-infantry squad, especially with chem munitions. (Combi-flamers are amusing but I really don't see them worth their points, most of the time, although being able to drop in 10 shredding flamer templates on a squad is hilarious). If you want more of a cheap 'let me just sit here and hold an objective' squad just go for a reaper autocannon or two.

Mango Polo posted:

Those scythes are :aaaaa:
The army too, but those scythes and how they match the bases.

Thank you! I had a lot of fun painting them. It's basically just a Khorne Red base with a Carroburg Crimson wash to darken it, followed by a feathered gradient of Evil Sunz Scarlet, Troll Slayer Orange (which is what I drybrushed the bases with), and Yriel Yellow, with the very sharpest and hottest edge lined out carefully in Ceramite White. Takes like ten minutes per scythe - I do all my power weapons with the same basic technique.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Death Guard best Guard

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Speaking of deathguard, I'm finally getting around to working on my mans again. Knocked this guy up on Sunday. He's about 90% done- everything is magnetized, pinned, filed, and washed:

I like him a lot more than I thought I would. Way more than the orky IW contemptor anyway. He's even pose able like a toy due to my pinning job. Just needs some armoured plates and maybe some work on the head area:

I originally wanted to give him super snippy claws, but I can't find where they came from:

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Thoise look like they could be the Blood Talon bits from the Blood Angles Furioso Dreadnought set - the power fists come with separate finger bits, the basic stubby fingers for power bloodfists and longer, curved claw fingers like that for the lightning claws bloodtalons.

Blood. Bood blood sanguine gore blood bloodblood.

Edit: Yep, there they are. Just shave off the blood drop icons.