Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Cojawfee posted:

There's some dry heaving in an episode of The Mick.

Seinfeld is really good. Like Kwyindig says, there are times when you wonder "Why don't they just use *modern device*?" Then you remember that the show is from the 90s and that thing either didn't exist or most people didn't have them. If you're the type of sperg, like the people in this thread, who says "THIS JOKE HAS BEEN USED BEFORE, THEREFORE IT IS NOT FUNNY IN THIS INSTANCE," you might not like it. There's a lot of things that were hilarious on Seinfeld that have since been used to death in other shows. Jokes, overall plots, and twists. If you can look past that and take the show at face value, it's still really good. Don't knock Seinfeld just because it was so good that it got copied.

Seinfeld, and also Curb, are incredible because of Larry David's ability to put a shaggy dog together. Nobody does it better. A gum wrapper can be the plot of a 30-minute episode, and it will always come together with relevance. His humor has never been about the particular jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Calaveron posted:

Holy poo poo why don't people laud The Nightman Cometh as one of the most important moments in television history?

Well, it is pretty commonly viewed as the #1 Sunny ep. And Sunny is one of the longest running sitcoms of all time.

If you think about it, how many really famous single episodes of any sit com can you think of?

Hmm...

WKRP: turkey episode
Different Strokes: Arnold gets raped or something
I Love Lucy: factory line episode scene..whatever that was. Also the Duck Soup scene.
Seinfeld had a number of them: shrinkage or the contest are two that I think are known outside the show fans.

I can't really think of anything else that I think I would know about if I wasn't a fan. That DS episode might not be famous...I dunno. I remember a big deal about it at some point. Vaguely.

E: also, a play about a kid getting molested isn't particularly important. Kirk kissing Uhura is just a tad more important. Or Ellen noticing she wasn't in a closet but was actually standing in the middle of an arena is big, too.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
The only real complaint I have about this season is that Dennis has too much hair.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

I thought the reveal at the end of this episode was really funny. Anyone notice that Dennis is surprisingly normal? Compared to Season 10 where he seems like his sociopathic mask is unraveling more and more by the second.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think it's a shame that Charlie and Dee hosed and no one ever talks about it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Waltzing Along posted:

I think it's a shame that Charlie and Dee hosed and no one ever talks about it.

It's clearly something neither one of them want to talk about so it's their little secret.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It will definitely pop-up again, either one of them will bring it up unintentionally or Dennis has filmed it and will bring it up on his own for a nefarious reason.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Super Deuce posted:

Seinfeld, and also Curb, are incredible because of Larry David's ability to put a shaggy dog together. Nobody does it better. A gum wrapper can be the plot of a 30-minute episode, and it will always come together with relevance. His humor has never been about the particular jokes.

Yeah nobody does that better. That episode where George is pretending to be a marine biologist & it ends with the them all at the coffee place & he takes the golf ball outta his pocket blew my mind when I first saw it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
they've aired seinfeld here in my country but I think it's pretty bad. It's extremely 90's which is just offputting to me nowadays

Always sunny, no.1

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Zzulu posted:

they've aired seinfeld here in my country but I think it's pretty bad. It's extremely 90's which is just offputting to me nowadays

People can have wrong opinions, that's fine. Unfortunately, due to that opinion, you no longer qualify as "people" in my eyes.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

landgrabber posted:

I thought the reveal at the end of this episode was really funny. Anyone notice that Dennis is surprisingly normal? Compared to Season 10 where he seems like his sociopathic mask is unraveling more and more by the second.

I'm not sure he's more normal so much as he's more relaxed. He's not angry crazy this season, he's more chill crazy.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
We've had three episodes so far, two of which were high concept episodes and the third one had Dennis intending to use the DENNIS system, I don't think he's any saner.

Also in the last episode he planned to film Frank and Bonnie banging without their consent, he just didn't get the opportunity to lose his poo poo yet, I'm sure it'll happen.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Sunny? Seinfeld?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo6CyNNC60M

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It's important to remember that IASIP draws so very much, specifically from Seinfeld. It's the natural evolution of "4 selfish people living in a big city" but for the new generation of selfish people who want everything for nothing.IASIP would have never been greenlit in a world without Seinfeld.

Rewatched this season last night, Charlie's little song in the police station is bizarrely sincere and sweet for this show, I just don't understand any of the hate for this episode, especially considering how much music this show actually does have and use.

I agree that Dennis seems oddly restrained this time around so I'm expecting a serious volcanic eruption of Golden God nonsense very soon.

Charlie & Dee loving probably won't ever get brought up because I don't think there is a way to make it funny. It was a tender moment of two underdogs who get poo poo on by their terrible friends just wanting to not be losers for a minute, and their own awkward reactions to it are the most yucks they could play it for. It's like, the McPoyles incest is funny cuz it's weird and gross, mac banging Carmen is funny because he only banged her when she still had a dick so 'LoL u gay bro', Dee loving every dude on Grindr is funny because she's 'empowering herself' but also everyone just disses her for loving 100 losers... what's funny about two friends loving and feeling weird about because they know they'll get poo poo on...

Oh wait unless it comes out that Frank really IS Dee & Dennis's dad... THAT could be funny in a "I'm gonna barf" kinda way.

So what episodes of Seinfeld could NEVER make it today? I submit "Manhands" would get any current sitcom cancelled (except maybe transparent), "not that there's anything wrong with that" is so dated in its hushed gay=taboo tones. Any others?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Seinfeld is my favorite show and IASIP is 2nd. There are a handful of parallel episodes too.

Man-hands crunching the lobster :: Dee watching Rapper Kevin laugh and eat popcorn

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Phenotype posted:

People can have wrong opinions, that's fine. Unfortunately, due to that opinion, you no longer qualify as "people" in my eyes.

The 90's was the worst decade of them all

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Zzulu posted:

Always sunny, no.1

It's 90s in that it takes place then but the whole point of the show's popularity was that it was different from most other shows of that time.

Zzulu posted:

What?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zzulu posted:

Are you even from this planet?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
70's, awesome

80's, awesome

90's? Bunch of confused poo poo

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Zzulu posted:

70's, awesome

80's, awesome

You seem to be the 90s-est thing then.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

This does the opposite of prove your point.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Zzulu posted:

70's, awesome

80's, awesome

70's, beige and mediocre

80's, neon and awesome

90's, pastel triangles and silver dance pants totally rad dude

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think we can all agree that 80s > 90s.

Also, part of what made Seinfeld brilliant was how they got around taboo TV subjects. They talked about just about everything and got it past the censors. The contest is all about masturbation and everything is implied. They did this countless times.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
had to make sure this scene is forever archived

http://i.imgur.com/3GxyGVS.gifv

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

moist turtleneck posted:

had to make sure this scene is forever archived

http://i.imgur.com/3GxyGVS.gifv

Might be my favorite moment on the show.

That episode is gold start to finish.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh yeah and here's the results, I just tallied up anything that was a top 10 vote, no ranking beyond that

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Yeah those are wrong though so

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

drunken officeparty posted:

Yeah those are wrong though so

Most of them you can't really argue against. I'd say half are definitely top episodes and none of the others are bad. I don't think Mac Day should be on there in place of intervention and any top list that ignores analyzed really doesn't understand the show..

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think the problem with a top ten list of Sunny episodes is that most of us have more than 10 favorites.

edit: And also there are enough good episodes that nobody can agree on just ten of them being of the best.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 22, 2017

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
no gang gets trapped?

SAVAGES, IDIOTS

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The DENNIS System was very underwhelming

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Calaveron posted:

hughesta posted:

SAVAGES, IDIOTS

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Calaveron posted:

Yeah. Episode isn't great at all. But the whole TDS idea is what caught on.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Magnum condoms, Mantis Toboggan, Dee leaving Ben in the sun. I think it's a fine episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Frank is an absolute delight in that episode, and that alone makes it one of the best.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm also surprised The Gang Dines Out didn't get a few votes. It's got some of the show's best Dennis/Mac and Charlie/Frank interactions.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Frank's just having the time of his life in that public pool :unsmith:

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

What we really need is a checkbox poll with everybody voting for all the eps they like, then just tally up which ones get the most votes. That's a pretty decent top 10 list regardless, but the absence of "Frank gets an Intervention" is glaring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
A check box poll isn't the best measure. A pairwise comparison is what will be best, but it will take time to fill out. My wife and I have been talking about completing one for a while, but I'm concerned it may destroy our marriage.