Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Seems right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Silly Burrito posted:

Seems right.

Whoever is in charge of doing stuff for the Dallas Star owns. First the Tweet after the Chargers moved and now this.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Flikken posted:

Whoever is in charge of doing stuff for the Dallas Star owns. First the Tweet after the Chargers moved and now this.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ahahahaha

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

FizFashizzle posted:

so yeah... math

i took mine on the 7th and hey we both got a 151 in math. you did much better than I did on the rest though, lol

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Poco posted:

i took mine on the 7th and hey we both got a 151 in math. you did much better than I did on the rest though, lol

one of my essay prompts was about someone banking on making a bunch of money selling high gfx video games

i just went on a long rant about how poo poo the last sim city game was.

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

FizFashizzle posted:

one of my essay prompts was about someone banking on making a bunch of money selling high gfx video games

i just went on a long rant about how poo poo the last sim city game was.

Mine was some HR person gushing about speed-reading courses because two whole people were able to do their job better and i just said people in HR love to waste money on stupid crap. while not exactly analytical, it was incredibly cathartic to write.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

A Man and his dog posted:

Hmmmmmm what should we eat for the games today?

I'm thinking spicy wings. I know :effort:

I'm thinking a bullet :smithicide:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I'm the "this is kind of stressful" sign.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Why Chich? Something serious going down or is just TFF behavior of oh god all 4 teams are teams I don't wanna root for ever. :v:

Also today gonna be a good day. Watch football, my best friend I haven't seen in a while is gonna drop by to watch as well.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I will force history chat onto this forum if I have to. I've been reading non stop Ancient Rome since the summer. Adrian Goldsworthy's biographies of Caesar and Caesar Augusts are fantastic. And I also read Tom Holland (of Rubicon fame) new book Dynasty which was pretty decent.

But I need to put a recommendation to Mastering the West by Dexter Hoyos. It's on the Punic Wars and goes into superb detail on the Second Punic War. It's not just about Trebia and Cannae and then a fast forward to Zama like most accounts. It goes into all of the years in between with not only with the Scipios in Spain but the incredible effort by the Romans to defend against and contain Hannibal in Italy itself. At the height of the war the Romans had over half a million citizen and allied troops deployed in the field at one time, a scale of mobilization that would not be matched until Revolutionary France 2,000 years later. And this was after losing over 100,000 troops in the first few disastrous years of the war, most notably about 60k in one single day at Cannae. I would love to write a paper on how the Second Punic War can be considered the first Total War in world history but well :effort: and to what end?

tl;dr Scipio Africanus was a loving badass

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 22, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

cannae sounds loving horrifying

blinded by dust, everyone facing a different direction, people killing each other just for a chance to escape....

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

cannae sounds loving horrifying

blinded by dust, everyone facing a different direction, people killing each other just for a chance to escape....

The human crush of the Romans trying to desperately fight or just plain run away in the vice like grip of Hannibal's encirclement is disturbing to imagine. The book Ghosts of Cannae goes into detail on the terrifying visceral carnage of ancient warfare and how Cannae was extra horrifying even by the standards of the day.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
The incoming technocracy will be worthwhile if it means we can send drones back in time to record footage of events like that. Cannae was horrifying, but I want to witness it!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I want to send a drone back in time to watch someone slip on their toga and fall down some stairs

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

I want to send a drone back in time to watch someone slip on their toga and fall down some stairs

:hfive:

Someone go back in time and get a copy of Lives of Famous Whores.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I want to go back in time and donate my inferior genes to tom brady's mother

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I want footage of Charles II holding court

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I want to see Cato taking a poo poo while meeting with the delegates from some Eastern Client Kingdom.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I want to see the roman ambassador demanding something, then drawing a circle around the other delegate and saying "make your decision before you leave this circle."

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

FizFashizzle posted:

I want to see the roman ambassador demanding something, then drawing a circle around the other delegate and saying "make your decision before you leave this circle."

It wasn't just a delegate, it was a loving king! :black101:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I will force history chat onto this forum if I have to. I've been reading non stop Ancient Rome since the summer. Adrian Goldsworthy's biographies of Caesar and Caesar Augusts are fantastic. And I also read Tom Holland (of Rubicon fame) new book Dynasty which was pretty decent.

But I need to put a recommendation to Mastering the West by Dexter Hoyos. It's on the Punic Wars and goes into superb detail on the Second Punic War. It's not just about Trebia and Cannae and then a fast forward to Zama like most accounts. It goes into all of the years in between with not only with the Scipios in Spain but the incredible effort by the Romans to defend against and contain Hannibal in Italy itself. At the height of the war the Romans had over half a million citizen and allied troops deployed in the field at one time, a scale of mobilization that would not be matched until Revolutionary France 2,000 years later. And this was after losing over 100,000 troops in the first few disastrous years of the war, most notably about 60k in one single day at Cannae. I would love to write a paper on how the Second Punic War can be considered the first Total War in world history but well :effort: and to what end?

I want to read piles of books on ancient rome...but I really have no idea where to start.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
I want a tape of Diogenes dropping a massive turd onstage

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I want to read piles of books on ancient rome...but I really have no idea where to start.

Mary Beard's SPQR is a pretty good place to start.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Rubicon by Tom Holland is a good starting place.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I really enjoy what I'm studying but one of the worst parts about going back to school is you can't read anything else.

but ask me about type 2 diabetes :shepicide:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Chichevache posted:

This. I read it two months ago during my current blitzkrieg through the subject and its a great place to start from ground zero. It's a fantastic overview of Roman history, society, and culture. Rubicon is a fantastic book but its a narrative focused on one era of Roman history rather than a general overview.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

FizFashizzle posted:

ask me about type 2 diabetes :shepicide:

I didn't know you switched to power lifting.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Hunterhr posted:

Rubicon by Tom Holland is a good starting place.

thank you for both of these suggestions, I will read them!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I didn't know you switched to power lifting.

hahahaha

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
hannibal is my posting spirit animal

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

I'd recommend the Ancient Rome A&T thread which also has a bunch of cool ancient history facts; also the occasional quack who believes in Atlantis and Romans coming to America

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Scionix posted:

hannibal is my posting spirit animal

Relies too much on elephants and eventually gets driven out? :v:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

I'd recommend the Ancient Rome A&T thread which also has a bunch of cool ancient history facts; also the occasional quack who believes in Atlantis and Romans coming to America

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446

Helpful hint for everyone starting to read this awesome thread. Ignore literally everything Agesilaus posts.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Alaois posted:

Relies too much on elephants and eventually gets driven out? :v:

yeah he marched elephants thru the alps to fight in italy oh WAIT thats loving IMPOSSIBLE u DOOFUS maybe read a FJCUKING book

yes i know they sent him elephants later on some boats or some poo poo idc point stands

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

thank you for both of these suggestions, I will read them!

I completely forgot about SPQR. Hit that first.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
e: wrong thread, but I did purchase SPQR on the recommendation of this thread. Can't wait to read it!

Tom Sellout fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 23, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

In The Name of Rome by Goldsworthy is a great compilation of mini biographies of the biggest names in Roman history.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Someone photoshop the Wazzu flag into the background

:confused: Did my school do something dumb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ive been looking for a new book to read, so I bought this on Kindle last night after turning off the football games. I read the first chapter, it's really great. Somewhere in the 2nd chapter a sentence or two reminded me of how fun it is to play the computer game Civilization, and I now I have re-installed it on my laptop. Probably won't finish the book, but it gave me the inspiration I needed

• Locked thread