Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

What the gently caress

Maybe it's just me, but I though Sonic CD was better than S&K. S&K was certainly better than any Sonic game I've played that came after them, though. I haven't played all of them, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

whiteyfats posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I though Sonic CD was better than S&K. S&K was certainly better than any Sonic game I've played that came after them, though. I haven't played all of them, though.

If you have a Wii or WiiU, Sonic Colours is well worth your time if you can hunt down a copy. Generations is good too, if you own a PS3, X360 or decent gaming PC. Aside from that, it's a wider range of titles with subjective preferences as to quality and a few outright trainwrecks.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Sonic CD had really bad level design and was really only held to a high standard because it was inaccessible for so long for the vast majority of people.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

magnum_valentino posted:

What's wrong with Sonic 3 & Knuckles?

RagnarokAngel posted:

Sonic CD had really bad level design and was really only held to a high standard because it was inaccessible for so long for the vast majority of people.

Sonic CD was a masterpiece. :colbert:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

RagnarokAngel posted:

So like how Sonic Xtreme probably would have been terrible and it's only the fact that it was never released that lets people project what they wanted out of a 3D sonic onto it?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sega crashing and burning is really something to behold, with the benefit of hindsight. After the success of the Genesis, it's like they purposely did everything wrong that they could think of with the Sega CD/32x/Game Gear/Nomad/Saturn.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

lmao if you were too stupid to figure this out

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Instant Sunrise posted:

So like how Sonic Xtreme probably would have been terrible and it's only the fact that it was never released that lets people project what they wanted out of a 3D sonic onto it?

Was that not the one that was just a compilation of the Mega Drive games? (Or am I thinking of another one?)

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Sonic CD was the last Sonic I played. It had some rad animated sequences, that's all I remember about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRaly9tk8v0

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I stuck with Sonic up as far as the Shadow the Hedgehog game, which I think was made in 2005 but at least feels like something from 1997 or so.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

When I left the school I trained at, some kids bought me a card. The majority of them wrote some variation of 'good luck', but one of them drew a picture of this thing and wrote "good luck...GETTING PAST THIS!" because we'd talked about it one time.

This thing transcends generations. This thing is still bothering kids in 2017.

We stand united.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was that not the one that was just a compilation of the Mega Drive games? (Or am I thinking of another one?)

That was the mega collection. Xtreme was a cancelled 3d sonic on Saturn. Obviously it was turning out pretty bad or they wouldn't cancel a headline title like that. But forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

whiteyfats posted:

Sega crashing and burning is really something to behold, with the benefit of hindsight. After the success of the Genesis, it's like they purposely did everything wrong that they could think of with the Sega CD/32x/Game Gear/Nomad/Saturn.

dreamcast was cool though

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

dreamcast was cool though

I admit the dream cast deserved better than it got but goddamn what bad release timing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

seriously though i was a hardcore nintendo kid growing up but dreamcast loving owned

i bought it the day after i saw an ad for jet grind radio on dailyradar.com

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Speaking of Sega, I ended up posting this in another thread, but it fits here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoQK3K1Nrq4

My brother and I watched that video probably 100 times after we preordered VF for the 32x, leading up to release.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dreamcast was cool, but with no dvd player, and the lack of goodwill Sega had after the Saturn crashing and burning in hilarious fashion, it was doomed to failure.

But, imagine if we lived in a world where the current gen was the Nintendo PS4 and the Sega Xbone.

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 17:31 on Jan 21, 2017

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

whiteyfats posted:

Dreamcast was cool, but but with no dvd player, and the lack of goodwill Sega had after the Saturn crashing and burning in hilarious fashion, it was doomed to failure.

well that and the complete lack of even basic copy protection

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alaois posted:

Not many people had cd-burners, though, so it might not have been that much of a problem.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

That was the mega collection. Xtreme was a cancelled 3d sonic on Saturn. Obviously it was turning out pretty bad or they wouldn't cancel a headline title like that. But forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest.

I looked it up and it turns out I was thinking of Sonic Jam.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sonix Xtreme wasn't even developed by Sonic Team, was it?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Alaois posted:

The Dreamcast definitely did have copy protection, just like the PlayStation and Saturn before it. The Sega CD didn't, but back then that really was the age of nobody having a burner.

The Dreamcast's problem is their scheme relied a little too much on them using proprietary 1GB discs. People first learned how to make CD boot discs that would run special ripped copies of games with about 300MB of data sliced off the top (or less, since tons of games didn't use the whole GD-ROM), and later just were able to patch that same boot loader on to games to make self-booting bootlegs.

Dreamcast was also before the time of firmware updates for game consoles, which means once this all had been figured out there was zero way of stopping it.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

lmao if you were too stupid to figure this out

to be fair (IIRC) it was a one-off new oddball mechanic suddenly introduced in the middle of the fourth title of a franchise based on simple and basic mechanics, with zero hints as to what you're supposed to do

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Have this thread seen Vin Diesel inviting us to check out a Street Shark's "round mound of pound and his power slam" at Toy Fair 1994?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

olaf2022 posted:

to be fair (IIRC) it was a one-off new oddball mechanic suddenly introduced in the middle of the fourth title of a franchise based on simple and basic mechanics, with zero hints as to what you're supposed to do

That and there are several of them before that one where the game teaches you to jump on them a few times to bounce past, which is actually the wrong way to get past them.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

I think it's been in the thread a few times, but it's always welcome back.

Someone has a whole bunch of compilations of 90's kid show themes. Tends to go from the mid 80's to early 2000's in 10 compilations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM-tUf9QI1Q

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm so glad you all happen to be talking about Sega because this is the most 90s video of all time

https://youtu.be/O_R8cPaIigs

It's a 30 minute tv show set Melrose Place style aimed at high schoolers. It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen but I love watching it and I wasn't a Sega kid. It's barely even about video games. I really recommend everyone here watch it even if you're not a video game fan.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That reminds me of the video about the Sega playtesters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTHghq6DNBE

There is something to be said that the pop available at Sega is Pepsi, the second ranked video game company has the second ranked soda.

Anyways, I feel Sega is the 90s game company. Nintendo may have ruled, but Sega embodied the decade better. This cannot be better demonstrated by the two companies mascots; Mario is a timeless character, but Sonic is 90s as gently caress. He's got 'tude, he loves junkfood, he wears flamboyant sneakers and just, everything. Crash Bandicoot is also very 90s, but he didn't really make it out of it did he?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
No, but they're making HD remasters of the first three games. So that's something.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
[quote="twistedmentat" post=""469055356"]
Crash Bandicoot is also very 90s, but he didn't really make it out of it did he?
[/quote]

Pretty much all of Sony's characters are just "radical animal with a rude 'tude, dude."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

twistedmentat posted:

That reminds me of the video about the Sega playtesters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTHghq6DNBE

There is something to be said that the pop available at Sega is Pepsi, the second ranked video game company has the second ranked soda.

Anyways, I feel Sega is the 90s game company. Nintendo may have ruled, but Sega embodied the decade better. This cannot be better demonstrated by the two companies mascots; Mario is a timeless character, but Sonic is 90s as gently caress. He's got 'tude, he loves junkfood, he wears flamboyant sneakers and just, everything. Crash Bandicoot is also very 90s, but he didn't really make it out of it did he?

I like how this video goes out of its way to show that game testing is a pretty awful job.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

I like how this video goes out of its way to show that game testing is a pretty awful job.

I love them opening with an "All that Jazz" rip. Never knew Sega were such big Bob Fosse fans.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I still unironically love this song and the album it's from. It takes me back to the days when I was 19 and I had a Subaru XT coupe with a Kenwood flip face CD player, 10 CD changer, the amp, and subwoofers to go with it.

https://youtu.be/fvZqWq0ZNjk

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pope Guilty posted:

Yea, I love the guys testing Pico games and how incredibly frustrated and pissed off by the system. I actually had no idea that that thing existed until the first time I saw that video.

Heath posted:

No, but they're making HD remasters of the first three games. So that's something.

True, and I'll certainly pick it up.

eminkey2003 posted:

Pretty much all of Sony's characters are just "radical animal with a rude 'tude, dude."

I feel the 90s was that era, and we can probably blame Ninja Turtles for that. 'tude was totally the way things were marketed to kids, everything back talked and was sarcastic, didn't respect authority and all in all were just little shits, and it was celebrated. Throw some animals in there so it is all kid friendly and bam, mass marketed sass.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I still unironically love this song and the album it's from. It takes me back to the days when I was 19 and I had a Subaru XT coupe with a Kenwood flip face CD player, 10 CD changer, the amp, and subwoofers to go with it.

https://youtu.be/fvZqWq0ZNjk

I loved people who thought KMFDM was the most edgy thing ever, not realizing it's pretty much a joke/parody.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

What do we think of Spyro?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Wheat Loaf posted:

What do we think of Spyro?

I can't believe that game got a sequel, let alone several.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Pope Guilty posted:

I can't believe that game got a sequel, let alone several.

And with the Skylanders franchise, Spyro and friends are alive and well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rahonavis posted:

And with the Skylanders franchise, Spyro and friends are alive and well.

Wait Skylanders is a spin off from Spyro? That's crazy.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Wait Skylanders is a spin off from Spyro? That's crazy.

Spyro was one of the first characters, mostly because Activision was still sitting on the license. To my knowledge spyro is neither anything special as a character nor is any connection to the original games drawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
If I recall correctly, he was added with his name on the title so more people would pay attention to Skylanders. Seems to have worked well enough.