Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
"When I hear the word 'diversity' I reach for my gun."
-Tinsley, 2017

Actually arguing that a great leader should not be expected to unite his people, and it's the people's fault for not rallying behind a divisive blowhard. Those drat masses!

Also unironically comparing Trump to George Washington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Sandpuppy posted:

Captain America has his shield, The Piss King has his deadly erect necktie.

And Scott Adams knew the whole time. :smuggo:

:negative:

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
I guess this is sort of a political cartoon.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I've heard the "you wouldn't wish harm on the pilot of your plane!" argument from some facebook friends from both sides.

If he says he's going to throw people off the plane in midair, turn off the oxygen masks unless you can pay for them and fly the plane into a mountain, then yes. Yes I sure as gently caress do want harm to come to him.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Sandpuppy posted:

I guess this is sort of a political cartoon.

I hope this loving bastard never has another restful day in his life. May he fear righteous anger wherever he tries to hide.

e: in case it was somehow unclear I meant the nazi.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hopefully poor Pepe can die soon and enjoy the oblivion of forgotten memes but I'm not optimistic

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

MrUnderbridge posted:

I've heard the "you wouldn't wish harm on the pilot of your plane!" argument from some facebook friends from both sides.

If he says he's going to throw people off the plane in midair, turn off the oxygen masks unless you can pay for them and fly the plane into a mountain, then yes. Yes I sure as gently caress do want harm to come to him.

Also if he hired all the attendants and crew and they don't know anything about airplanes and talk about wanting to crash them a lot.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MrUnderbridge posted:

What if the pilot is Mohammed Atta?

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Exercise caution when it comes to violence against people like Spencer; he went to that protest and had a camera on him because getting punched is what he was aiming for. Formal actions that actually limit the reach of demagogues like him help; punching him may feel incredibly good, but it's ultimately counterproductive. It's letting him pull the "so dumb and crazy" move, and that, sadly, works.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Counterpoint: Interviewing Nazis on the news is what legitimizes them, not punching them

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Discendo Vox posted:

Exercise caution when it comes to violence against people like Spencer; he went to that protest and had a camera on him because getting punched is what he was aiming for. Formal actions that actually limit the reach of demagogues like him help; punching him may feel incredibly good, but it's ultimately counterproductive. It's letting him pull the "so dumb and crazy" move, and that, sadly, works.

I disagree, any Nazi that feels comfortable enough to do an interview on the street deserves to be made to feel unsafe.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't like this one because in Taxi Driver, much to my surprise, he was redeemed in the end.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
If he believes that people who are different deserve punishment, he should practice what he preaches and suck it up.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

No he didn't you moron, he's been tweeting about how he's scared to go to more rallies. Reality hit him square in the jaw. He's a coward who calls for genocide of non-whites and deserves significantly worse. Fascists aren't beaten with pithy remarks.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't like this one because in Taxi Driver, much to my surprise, he was redeemed in the end.

You misread the film.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mr. Squishy posted:

You misread the film.
Maybe. It's been a long time.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You sure? I mean, the remake made it pretty clear that saving the young outcast did redeem himself in the eyes of the people who hated them by killing the poo poo out of an older man using and abusing a young girl, and they can face their life better in the end, getting praise and respect from people, thanks from the one they helped, and reconcile with the people who spurred their advances before.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 23, 2017

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
They remade Taxi Driver?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Discendo Vox posted:

Counterpoint

https://twitter.com/LOLY2K/status/823053632157294592

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Squishy posted:

They remade Taxi Driver?

Yeah.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Remind me at which point Ralph gets a blowjob from a 12 year old?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Don't put that evil in me , Jedit

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I mean it's fairly safe to say that if someone actually says they're a white supremacist, they're a white supremacist

or else just an idiot

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jedit posted:

He gets a hug from a 12 year old, that's the Disney equivalent.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Improbable Lobster posted:

No he didn't you moron, he's been tweeting about how he's scared to go to more rallies. Reality hit him square in the jaw. He's a coward who calls for genocide of non-whites and deserves significantly worse. Fascists aren't beaten with pithy remarks.

Spreading a video of one of them getting punched has the same effect as a pithy remark, at best. Persecution is a coin that they are happy to trade in. He's saying he's afraid, publicly, to the press and on twitter, to further the narrative of how dangerous and violent those left wing feminist radicals. "these kind of people are roaming around". If he was actually afraid, he wouldn't be talking about it! This isn't going to cause him to stop going places or speaking, it's going to let him and his followers talk about how brave he was to overcome it. Spencer is saying publicly that he's worried it will become a meme, but he'd love for the image of him as the sane and rational one under threat by violent lefties became a meme. These are not people you can take at their word.

Republicans posted:

I disagree, any Nazi that feels comfortable enough to do an interview on the street deserves to be made to feel unsafe.

It's not about what he deserves, it's about what the effects are on his appeal. This increases his appeal, just like Milo loves having counterprotests (the rowdier, the better) at his campus talks. The proper response isn't to hit back, no matter how appealing it is. It's to cut them off in advance. Campuses and venues can easily enact policies that have the effect of excluding these people from speaking. Policies on ticket priority can keep them from bringing in paid supporters, which keeps them from profiting. Counterprogramming can sap their audience and promote an alternative narrative. The right wing isn't beaten by being attacked or reasoned with, but by cutting off their air.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Was there a cartoon saying something to the effect of, "when Obama was elected you went full on colonial LARPer" to a Tea Partier saying "give Trump a chance," or was that my imagination?

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.

Jedit posted:

I've always felt the scene in which Ralph smashes the car could be seen as a metaphor for rape.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RodShaft posted:

Was there a cartoon saying something to the effect of, "when Obama was elected you went full on colonial LARPer" to a Tea Partier saying "give Trump a chance," or was that my imagination?

Not that I know, but there's been a lot of people saying it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Spreading a video of one of them getting punched has the same effect as a pithy remark, at best. Persecution is a coin that they are happy to trade in. He's saying he's afraid, publicly, to the press and on twitter, to further the narrative of how dangerous and violent those left wing feminist radicals. "these kind of people are roaming around". If he was actually afraid, he wouldn't be talking about it! This isn't going to cause him to stop going places or speaking, it's going to let him and his followers talk about how brave he was to overcome it. Spencer is saying publicly that he's worried it will become a meme, but he'd love for the image of him as the sane and rational one under threat by violent lefties became a meme. These are not people you can take at their word.

It's not about what he deserves, it's about what the effects are on his appeal. This increases his appeal, just like Milo loves having counterprotests (the rowdier, the better) at his campus talks. The proper response isn't to hit back, no matter how appealing it is. It's to cut them off in advance. Campuses and venues can easily enact policies that have the effect of excluding these people from speaking. Policies on ticket priority can keep them from bringing in paid supporters, which keeps them from profiting. Counterprogramming can sap their audience and promote an alternative narrative. The right wing isn't beaten by being attacked or reasoned with, but by cutting off their air.

But on the gripping hand, maybe next time we'll get to see him get hit with a brick. Stop being an apologist for fascists.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Discendo Vox posted:

The alt-right build their image off the idea that they're alpha tough guys and that everyone else is a degenerate weakling who needs safe spaces and can't handle any sort of difficulty. Punching them in the face is exactly the kind of thing that shatters their illusion. If everyone else is a cuck and they're beating the poo poo out of you, what does that make you?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

I find it funny that he's afraid of getting trolled, with a fist... To the face. Can't he just deal with these dank memes for the lulz.

I have zero empathy for him.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Vib Rib posted:

Also unironically comparing Trump to George Washington.

When Washington was president and residing in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania had a law stating that slaves residing in the state for a certain period of time could legally free themselves. To get around this, Washington kept continually rotating his house slaves between the President's Mansion and his plantation in Virginia, never allowing them to stay in Pennsylvania long enough for the law to apply. He kept this up for years.

What I'm saying is that, like Washington, Trump enjoys and freely uses legal loopholes to protect his personal wealth. A Valid Comparison.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Chard posted:

But on the gripping hand, maybe next time we'll get to see him get hit with a brick. Stop being an apologist for fascists.

Holy poo poo I didn't know we had Motie posters.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Discendo Vox posted:

But it can be read the opposite way, too. You're assuming the only effect that an aggression will have is "neo-nazis play the victim, ergo neo-nazis gain more sympathizers". But neo-nazis have been playing the victim nonstop since 1945. White supremacists don't only gain influence and power by A) convincing the general public that they support the beliefs of the cartoonist and are also very smart, they also gain ground by B) brutalizing, harassing and intimidating any opposition, and, above all, by C) emboldening their own supporters into crawling out of their usual sewers into public limelight, where they get the chance to do more of A) and B).

Now, neo-nazis don't even need to actually get punched in the face to play the victim. ANY kind of resistance they'll meet with "boo hoo i can't believe that the tolerant, progressive left would deny us our right to safety/ free speech/ political participation". The difference is, with those bullshit reasons they KNOW they're not in actual danger, so they won't be pushed back if they're already gaining power, sort of like they are doing right now. Punching them in the face makes them actually afraid of going out in public.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
You know who else thought it was a good idea to civilly engage with and appease fascists? That's right, Neville Chamberlain.

We tried ignoring them, we tried going high while they went low. None of it loving worked. On the other, punching Richard Spencer in the face got him to run away while crying like a little bitch so I'd say that strategy is batting a thousand right now.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

Neo-Nazis routinely harass, threaten and commit violent acts against a wide variety of minorities. It is always an act of self defense to assault a Nazi. This wasn't some master plan of his, the current crop of neo-nazis think they're superior specimens and should be reminded that they aren't.

Assaulting someone who regularly calls for genocide only provides support for them if you're some kind of loving moron idiot clown.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Discendo Vox posted:

Why not both?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes, I too remember reading in History books how Nazi Germany had a channel dedicated to showing cartoons of Bugs Bunny, Donald Duck, Daffy Duck, Popeye, Porky Pig, the three little pigs, the three stooges, Superman and Tom and Jerry beating the poo poo out of Hitler, because that showed how dangerous and violent the Americans were, and totally didn't make Nazis look like weakling, idiots and cowards.

The appeal of fascism and it's claim to legitimacy of rule is in strength. You show them as the weakling they are, and they can't maintain the image they built.

So now protests against Milo add in taunts about running and crying to weaken the resolve of the people going in, as well as the heinous poo poo to rally people against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Neo-Nazis routinely harass, threaten and commit violent acts against a wide variety of minorities. It is always an act of self defense to assault a Nazi. This wasn't some master plan of his, the current crop of neo-nazis think they're superior specimens and should be reminded that they aren't.

Assaulting someone who regularly calls for genocide only provides support for them if you're some kind of loving moron idiot clown.

The key is there's no video of them doing those types of acts. Your average person generally believes Neo-Nazis are just non-violent slacktavists (I regularly see the fake "BLM has killed more people than the KKK/Neo-Nazis" bullshit line on social media), and in this case they're only seeing this as a White Supremacist framing it as "shutting down someone's free speech" with violence. The only thing better than a dead Neo-Nazi is a converted Neo-Nazi, but I'm not going to give them something that at best for us gives a sense of satisfaction and at best for them gives them social media propaganda. This only benefitted him.

Fulchrum posted:

The appeal of fascism and it's claim to legitimacy of rule is in strength. You show them as the weakling they are, and they can't maintain the image they built.

So now protests against Milo add in taunts about running and crying to weaken the resolve of the people going in, as well as the heinous poo poo to rally people against them.

Yes, but also consider Hitler wasn't as big of a figure in politics until his imprisonment increased celebrity and appeal.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 23, 2017

• Locked thread