Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Like if you were loudly discussing your bowel movements in a restaurant and attempted to defend this by saying how it's a perfectly normal thing for friends to talk about, it would be a reasonable to start with either "nah that's a little weird" or "context matters" because both are true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

married but discreet posted:

Nah he's not a nazi, no punching.

Nah he's just a misogynist, racist, rape apologist, homonationalist traitor piece of poo poo.

gently caress that piece of poo poo Uncle Tom.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

me @ this thread

Me @ MHB:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Okay fine person who tends to antagonize me for no real reason, it is my fault for being near people talking loudly about the twist in a movie in an environment where it was very likely people are going to see it. Sorry for bothering you.

I'm honestly too tired to argue about this poo poo and am still anxious about dying on a snowy mountain tonight and/or missing the chance I have of seeing Colossal at this festival. If I do not post again after tonight, know I died attempting​ to see an Anne Hathaway giant monster movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That movie looks like a blast.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Wasn't that movie tied down in some kinda copyright dispute? Is it really coming out?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
That spoiler study was weird anyways since (if I remember right) their definition of spoilers was like, being told about thematic elements

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Wasn't that movie tied down in some kinda copyright dispute? Is it really coming out?

Toho made some noise at first but it seems like they worked things out.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

It was just some poo poo from when the film was in the early development and pitch stages for investors - the filmmakers used Godzilla strictly to give money-people at Cannes ideas of what it's about, Toho got wind of it and got pissed, missing the point completely that the monster was never going to look or behave anything like Godzilla. The lawsuit went nowhere and was settled out of court. Toho even covered their own legal costs. It was more of a big misunderstanding than a scandal, so we don't have to worry about the international kaiju renaissance being deterred.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Ah, cool.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

You do get some superbowls that are amazing like Eagles/Patriots, Giants/Patriots or Seahawks/Patriots, but more often you get superbowls without the Patriots :v:

Steelers/Cardinals and 49ers/Ravens were both really good

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Jaki Liebezeit died :smith:

https://youtu.be/9a1NhRbNJ_Y

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

No one is mentioning that it's also a new Nacho Vigalondo movie.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

CPL593H posted:

Nah he's just a misogynist, racist, rape apologist, homonationalist traitor piece of poo poo.

gently caress that piece of poo poo Uncle Tom.

Agreed actually.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Steelers/Cardinals and 49ers/Ravens were both really good

Okay okay so maybe I'm mostly just mad about the number of lopsided beatings the NFL's given us in the last two years :mad:

e: also Seahawks/Broncos was so bad it should really count double

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
As cool as it is to see the dumb neo-nazi talking head get punched, though, affecting actual change against the aligned executive and legislative branches is going to be much more complicated and treacherous.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

As cool as it is to see the dumb neo-nazi talking head get punched, though, affecting actual change against the aligned executive and legislative branches is going to be much more complicated and treacherous.

Well obviously. You just have to appreciate the little victories.

Plus it's hilarious that we not only saw a nazi get punched, but punched the second he brought up some dumb internet meme poo poo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anonymous Robot posted:

We're gonna need a bigger fist.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Kurt Cobain posted:

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
holy poo poo i'm dying

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Really though I see a lot of people on some "direct action will stop them" and I'm like, theoretically, but in real terms that means interfering with the carrying out of the law, which means coming up against the executive branch, who are better equipped for this kind of thing than the frog meme man. I worry about that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

Really though I see a lot of people on some "direct action will stop them" and I'm like, theoretically, but in real terms that means interfering with the carrying out of the law, which means coming up against the executive branch, who are better equipped for this kind of thing than the frog meme man. I worry about that.

If half as many people came out to stop the police from rounding up immigrants or muslims as came out yesterday, the police could never succeed. They are reluctant to murder white people who can't be written off as radicals or criminals. If there are enough media left by that point to show it to the world, we'd be in civil rights movement territory.

Join your local DSA! I did just last week.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think non-violence is important, even for worthless shitheaps. It's tough, especially when someone like Spencer has one of the most punchable faces.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I will say having seen the movie that the spoiler was pretty big, but the movie was pretty mediocre so :shrug:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Skwirl thanks for the books.

I've started reading the Parker novel and so far it's dope.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Man that was a great show.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

I think non-violence is important, even for worthless shitheaps. It's tough, especially when someone like Spencer has one of the most punchable faces.

When a dude is literally calling for black genocide, I think it's probably okay to punch him in the face.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

If half as many people came out to stop the police from rounding up immigrants or muslims as came out yesterday, the police could never succeed. They are reluctant to murder white people who can't be written off as radicals or criminals. If there are enough media left by that point to show it to the world, we'd be in civil rights movement territory.

Join your local DSA! I did just last week.

I have bad experiences in general with far-left groups, and the DSA looks pretty similar to the ISO and CPUSA. I'm currently trying to figure out the surely-dreadful aspects of the Progressive Labor Party. I'm hopeful, but hearing that a predominantly middle-class white party had some degree of contention with the Black Panthers doesn't make me optimistic.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

When a dude is literally calling for black genocide, I think it's probably okay to punch him in the face.

It's not. We're better than that. Our weapons are ideas, reason, and truth.

Now, violence is more than justified as defense, but don't be the one to throw the first punch.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My weapon is a spiked skull on the end of a chain.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

It's not. We're better than that. Our weapons are ideas, reason, and truth.

Good luck with that.

John D'amico is once again putting things more eloquently than I can:

https://twitter.com/jodamico1/status/823285053706878978

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
much like compromise, the only value of peaceful protest is when it's the more effective strategy for getting what you want

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

much like compromise, the only value of peaceful protest is when it's the more effective strategy for getting what you want

Yeah. Personally, I don't advocate for violence for two reasons: One, because violence has consequences for the perpetrator, and I don't feel comfortable advocating for someone else to assume the consequences of jail time or just getting the poo poo beat out of them, especially if I'm not willing to risk the same. And two, it's not a viable long-term political strategy, especially when the other side is much better equipped to dish out violence.

But if a guy explicitly and publicly calls for genocide, then guess what? He assumes the consequences of potentially getting his teeth knocked down his throat whenever he shows his dumb face. And nobody is gonna feel bad for him, nor should they.

Anyway, I'm just upset that the video of him getting punched set to Hatebreed got taken off YouTube :(

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Good luck with that.

John D'amico is once again putting things more eloquently than I can:

https://twitter.com/jodamico1/status/823285053706878978

yeah this.

Also decorum, debate, etc., is how these clowns get legitimacy. They don't actually give a drat that Richard Spencer got punched in the face because their ideology is violence. They'll throw a fit about it for show, but acting like they're entitled to their opinions minimizes the horror of what their "opinion" is.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Punch all nazis.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wanna meet the guy who decided High-Rise should be a period piece. I'd tell him that was a a really bad idea!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
everybody please lift your hands and lend Jessie James your spirit power.....!

e: everybody, THANK YOU!

ee: fuuuuuck. poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

I have bad experiences in general with far-left groups, and the DSA looks pretty similar to the ISO and CPUSA. I'm currently trying to figure out the surely-dreadful aspects of the Progressive Labor Party. I'm hopeful, but hearing that a predominantly middle-class white party had some degree of contention with the Black Panthers doesn't make me optimistic.

Maybe look up the list of sponsors for your closest satellite women's march? Or just wait for it to happen. You'll know when it all starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The problem with saying we should use ideas and truth to fight nazis is that it frames the conflict like it's a debate between competing legitimate ideologies, which is not actually the case.

Punch Nazis.

• Locked thread