Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
As you mention, Triple H wasn't afraid of Mankind but he was terrified of Cactus Jack. This actually happened twice, in 97 and 2000.

I think Dude Love was explained as something Mick was doing to entertain Vince for some reason, but he had two matches with Austin which are considered some of the best either man ever had, so he was no less capable a wrestler.

Not sure about the gimmick acknowledgement thing, but it rings a bell. Someone else must have done that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the idea is that Jack is probably more likely to be DQ'ed in a regular match, but in a gimmick match or straight fight, he's way more dangerous than either other persona. Mankind will take a beating, but Cactus Jack can give one out.

Nash sort of acknowledges his old gimmicks and everyone knows Stardust/Goldust and the Rhodes brothers are the same. But there aren't many guys who drastically changed characters like that in the last 20 years. It was more of a thing before the Monday Night Wars and even then guys like Dusty and Flair were still fundamentally Dusty and Flair even in the WWF.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 22, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I think the idea is that Jack is probably more likely to be DQ'ed in a regular match, but in a gimmick match or straight fight, he's way more dangerous than either other persona. Mankind will take a beating, but Cactus Jack can give one out.

Nash sort of acknowledges his old gimmicks and everyone knows Stardust/Goldust and the Rhodes brothers are the same. But there aren't many guys who drastically changed characters like that in the last 20 years. It was more of a thing before the Monday Night Wars and even then guys like Dusty and Flair were still fundamentally Dusty and Flair even in the WWF.

There was also the acknowledgement of Ziggler's Spirit Squad past in his feud with Miz last year.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
My point is more that Doctor of Thuganomics and the current "recognise!" John Cena are different gimmicks, just like Diesel and NWO Nash, but they're not so different that it's not obviously the same guy.

Ziggler's a good call though, because he was Nick Nemeth at that point.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Was the two-feet rule always part of the Rumble rules from the very start, or was it only introduced to make the '95 finish a thing that could happen?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

magnum_valentino posted:

Was the two-feet rule always part of the Rumble rules from the very start, or was it only introduced to make the '95 finish a thing that could happen?

I think it was always technically a thing, but they made it a very specific rule for the 95 one. I'm not sure if that was deliberately supposed to happen or if it was a Cena/Batista situation where Vince vamped so the planned finish could happen.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gaz-L posted:

I think it was always technically a thing, but they made it a very specific rule for the 95 one. I'm not sure if that was deliberately supposed to happen or if it was a Cena/Batista situation where Vince vamped so the planned finish could happen.

That was definitely the planned finish.

E-Diddy
Mar 30, 2004
I'm both hot and bothered
The wife and I were watching Back to the Future and they showed George McFly's photo and his brother's head having faded away. I told her about the Ric Flair and Miss Elizabeth affair photos and how they later showed the originals with Macho Man and how good the fakes were. I know I've seen the comparisons between the fakes and originals but I'm having a tough time finding that. I feel like I've seen it on video and on a website but a lot of Googling hasn't gotten me there. Does anyone know of the video I'm thinking of?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

magnum_valentino posted:

Not sure about the gimmick acknowledgement thing, but it rings a bell. Someone else must have done that.

Corporate Kane and Demon Kane come to mind, and they've done the Demon thing with Balor, too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh! Joe Park and his brother Chris! Y'know, Abyss!

And Jeff Hardy's million dumbass gimmicks.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Mankind was a masochist, Cactus Jack was a sadist. Most of Mankind's matches were built around him withstanding punishment, Jack's were built around him dishing it out.

Dude Love was a loser, and all of his matches were built around him losing.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

E-Diddy posted:

The wife and I were watching Back to the Future and they showed George McFly's photo and his brother's head having faded away. I told her about the Ric Flair and Miss Elizabeth affair photos and how they later showed the originals with Macho Man and how good the fakes were. I know I've seen the comparisons between the fakes and originals but I'm having a tough time finding that. I feel like I've seen it on video and on a website but a lot of Googling hasn't gotten me there. Does anyone know of the video I'm thinking of?

It was in the WWF magazine.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

surf rock posted:

1.) What other wrestlers treated gimmicks the same way Foley did by having it be known even in kayfabe that it's all the same guy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG5LI168rBo

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
When did people (other than Jake) start to use DDT regularly?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Kennel posted:

When did people (other than Jake) start to use DDT regularly?

About 15 years earlier?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Man that ref was awful, Santo clearly had his shoulder up on the first fall. Pretty good swanton at the end though.

Gotta say though, they need to learn to work a little slower and sell. That Santo kid has a future if he can learn some psychology.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 23, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Timby posted:

Corporate Kane and Demon Kane come to mind, and they've done the Demon thing with Balor, too.
You forgot Kurly Kane.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

You forgot Kurly Kane.

I heard he was super smelly, tho?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Mankind was a masochist, Cactus Jack was a sadist. Most of Mankind's matches were built around him withstanding punishment, Jack's were built around him dishing it out.

Dude Love was a loser, and all of his matches were built around him losing.

Foley also used different finishers for his gimmicks. Mankind had the mandible claw, Jack had the double-hooked DDT.

Did Dude Love have a finisher, because I don't think I've ever seen Dude Love win a match.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Benne posted:

Did Dude Love have a finisher, because I don't think I've ever seen Dude Love win a match.

He originally used the Mandible Claw but called it "The Love Handle", and later used Sweet Shin Music.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

^Beat me :arghfist:^

Benne posted:

Foley also used different finishers for his gimmicks. Mankind had the mandible claw, Jack had the double-hooked DDT.

I know that the claw was called the love handle in recent video games, which is a great name for it. He also used the Double Arm DDT with a kick to the shin, calling it the the Sweet Shin Music. Jack also used the Stump Puller Pile driver and a diving elbow drop to the floor to finish guys off.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Benne posted:

Sweet Shin Music.

(Nah, I think he used the double-arm DDT still)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I think the Double-Arm DDT was common to all Foley gimmicks. Didn't he pin Austin with it as Mankind at SummerSlam '99?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

remusclaw posted:

^Beat me :arghfist:^

I know that the claw was called the love handle in recent video games, which is a great name for it. He also used the Double Arm DDT with a kick to the shin, calling it the the Sweet Shin Music. Jack also used the Stump Puller Pile driver and a diving elbow drop to the floor to finish guys off.

iirc the Jack elbow onto the concrete was what motivated Foley to develop The Mandible, even he knew it was seriously stupid to have to do that dive every night.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
He always knew he was loving up his hip with it. In his first book he wrote about being mad at a bad cameraman for missing the shot of him doing the elbow.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The Nestea Plunge bump he used to do (the thing where he'd fall off the apron to the floor) was even worse

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

And it would have made more sense for Rey to come out first.

*Rey comes out*
"Who's he going to face?"
*HHH comes out. Suddenly odds seem against Rey*

Of course it would, but they didn't want Rey to be an official Bell to Bell winner because it was more important for HHH to be #1 and last until the end.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rey coming out #2 was maybe the tenth-worst thing about the Rumble.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Nut Bunnies posted:

Of course it would, but they didn't want Rey to be an official Bell to Bell winner because it was more important for HHH to be #1 and last until the end.

What's the difference?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Sandman McMahon posted:

What's the difference?

In the latter, Triple H doesn't get his ego bruised ever so slightly.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
gently caress HHH for taking Backlund's record, BTW.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
HHH can break all of Backlund's records except the one where he was actually a box-office draw.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

How much more autonomy do folks in New Japan have with their characters and the direction of storylines and what have you? I mean, I know they don't have a creative team like the WWE and their style of show is different and all that, but do they have much input into what happens in a feud or is it mainly directed by Gedo and the other top brass in NJPW?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

So Road Dogg helped write/wrote SDL last night, is that true? Where is Ryan Ward? Is he off of SDL now?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

So Road Dogg helped write/wrote SDL last night, is that true? Where is Ryan Ward? Is he off of SDL now?

The only place this was ever said was one random post that cited Disco Inferno as the source, but there was no actual evidence of this being said anywhere. So of course goons take it as gospel. I've noticed that Smackdown go-home shows have been rather weak for the last few months, so this is maybe just a symptom of that. Rovert hasn't commented.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

meltzer said on tuesday that road dogg's influence was increasing though he wasn't sure if that exactly meant ryan ward wasn't the lead writer, anymore, i think. anyway bad nazi show for fascists

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
WWE is actually good.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sandman McMahon posted:

What's the difference?

Nothing to most people, but there definitely was to WWE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Venomous posted:

How much more autonomy do folks in New Japan have with their characters and the direction of storylines and what have you? I mean, I know they don't have a creative team like the WWE and their style of show is different and all that, but do they have much input into what happens in a feud or is it mainly directed by Gedo and the other top brass in NJPW?

Based on what Kenny Omega has said recently, New Japan has their plans set a year in advance but they're willing to change things up based on reactions/injuries/signings etc. Omega will often try to push his own ideas and New Japan is open to it if it looks like it has legs, but will also often shoot down ideas or tell him not to promote things that don't mesh with their plans.

Omega is also probably a bit of a freak case though given his status as their top gaijin, but it does seem they are open to input from the wrestlers.