Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Andrast posted:

The writing in enderal is embarassingly awful during the main quest.

Unfortunate. I only just made it to the capital city, so I guess I haven't had much to judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the last time i heard a total conversion mod for a bethesda game was better than the main game, i couldn't really get into nehrim

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

So are you going to give us a report if Valkyria Revolution is a poo poo show or not?

That is not one of them unfortunately!

I honestly don't think it looks that bad though but I wasn't that hot on Valkyria Chronicles so my opinion is probably not gonna be as meaningful in that regards.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm not that anti-revolution because 3 games of the same BLITZ system is enough, but when a team goes "Okay, we rehauled the WHOLE system" in less than 4 months, I don't have confidence

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Never played VC but I hope Valkyria Revolution is good because I want to play a good rpg to a fresh Mitsuda soundtrack. Trailers didn't give me much hope though

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Planning to play eventually:
FFXV
Tales of Berseria
Nier Automata
Gravity Rush Remastered & GR2
Atelier Shallie PLus

There might be more RPGs but so far I haven't really seen anything super interesting out in the next few weeks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

I'm not that anti-revolution because 3 games of the same BLITZ system is enough, but when a team goes "Okay, we rehauled the WHOLE system" in less than 4 months, I don't have confidence

Their general marketing has been "look, it's a fantasy RPG game with Valkyria in the title! That's what you wanted, isn't it? We even brought back the big-breasted Valkyria woman, because that's what you all really wanted out of it, right? :pseudo:"

Now, to be fair, it might turn out an okay game. Just one that wouldn't be judged as harshly if they'd been dumb enough to slap the Valkyria Chronicles franchise into the title/premise.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Alder posted:

Planning to play eventually:
FFXV
Tales of Berseria
Nier Automata
Gravity Rush Remastered & GR2
Atelier Shallie PLus

There might be more RPGs but so far I haven't really seen anything super interesting out in the next few weeks.

Ni-Oh, Horizan Dawn, Atelier Sophie+Firis on steam, Mass effect androdema

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Tae posted:

I was also pretty surprised when it turned out to have a Vita version out of nowhere, because that usually means the PS4 game is an upscaled version of that and not the other way around.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tae posted:

Ni-Oh, Horizan Dawn, Atelier Sophie+Firis on steam, Mass effect androdema

Thanks will check out the former series. I'm terrible at shooters so I couldn't get into ME at all.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Valkyria Revolution's demo was surprisingly interesting, and I was all set to hate the game cause I love the gently caress out of the Chronicles games. For all that the preview videos looked boring and dull, I had quite a bit of fun killing the mooks and fighting the demo boss.

The big issues I could see people having with it is the aggressive anime and the past-but-better-tech setting weirdness. It also feels a lot like Trails game settings with orbal energy replaced by ragnite.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Charles Get-Out posted:

Valkyria Revolution's demo was surprisingly interesting, and I was all set to hate the game cause I love the gently caress out of the Chronicles games. For all that the preview videos looked boring and dull, I had quite a bit of fun killing the mooks and fighting the demo boss.

The big issues I could see people having with it is the aggressive anime and the past-but-better-tech setting weirdness. It also feels a lot like Trails game settings with orbal energy replaced by ragnite.

Isn't VC both aggressively anime and set in a past-but-better-tech setting? I mean it relies on tanks and magical healing and has a race of super-women who fight with ancient laser spears.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't VC both aggressively anime and set in a past-but-better-tech setting? I mean it relies on tanks and magical healing and has a race of super-women who fight with ancient laser spears.

I mean like, Revolution is in the late "1800s" in the VC setting and they clearly use better tech than "1935" VC1/2/3. But yes VC is aggressively anime, I figured this thread would be cool with that, was just speaking generally.

In short Revolution seems like it will be a good game

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I would say vc1 is gundam and vc revolution is gurren lagann in terms of anime, because normal soldiers fighting mechanical spiders is out there compred to a team struggling to kill one major tank.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Tae posted:

I would say vc1 is gundam and vc revolution is gurren lagann in terms of anime, because normal soldiers fighting mechanical spiders is out there compred to a team struggling to kill one major tank.

This is p spot on; there is a big dragon mecha in the Revolution demo. Also a lot of really giant weapons.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It is just trying to follow the old JRPG staple of the past always being cooler.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's certainly not a bad concept. Trails does it, but the regression of technology and eventual insanely fast re-introduction of it (going from feudal kingdoms to computers in roughly 50 years) plus the crazy amount of world building makes it stand out from just your standard fantasy world with ancient tech.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Terper posted:

It's certainly not a bad concept. Trails does it, but the regression of technology and eventual insanely fast re-introduction of it (going from feudal kingdoms to computers in roughly 50 years) plus the crazy amount of world building makes it stand out from just your standard fantasy world with ancient tech.

I didnt mind it too much in Trails really. At least some of it probably came from salvaging stuff off the Liber Ark and Ouroboros.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah I wasn't implying it was bad in Trails, just the opposite. That humanity is in a stage of reverse engineering all this crazy ancient science stuff is cool, as well as the effects it has on the world in life and politics.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Couldn't think of a better place to post this: just got super nostalgic for Star Ocean 3 when you learn Side Kick, aka the easiest thing to get ridiculous cancel bonuses on, and never bother using anything else again

memories of my main character rushing into battle with a big sword in one hand and never using it because all he does is kinda jump around from one foot to the other like he's one of those Russian dancing flowers from Fantasia until the monster dies

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Sidekick spam got boring fast. It doesn't stagger enemies very well.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

DIMENSION......DOOR

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sea Sponge Run posted:

DIMENSION......DOOR

let me increase the power of my attacks by using them, which in turn increases the hp cost to activate

It's like they asked themselves, how do we take the coolest parts of SO2... and make them impossibly, incomparably, insurmountably bad?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I like how in the original version of SO3 battle skills cost a fixed amount of HP so by the end of the game they cost basically nothing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

let me increase the power of my attacks by using them, which in turn increases the hp cost to activate

It's like they asked themselves, how do we take the coolest parts of SO2... and make them impossibly, incomparably, insurmountably bad?

The most disappointing thing with SO3 for me was the fact that you couldn't set the entire battlefield ablaze with ludicruously overblown spells like Moon Light or that spell which was just straight up a giant explosion.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Libluini posted:

The most disappointing thing with SO3 for me was the fact that you couldn't set the entire battlefield ablaze with ludicruously overblown spells like Moon Light or that spell which was just straight up a giant explosion.

Explode was my favorite, long animation and all.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The full Tales of Berseria is out in all regions this week, so here is a notice/reminder that there is a thread and that it's a pretty good game.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Bought Valkyria Revolution. I'm digging it. JP customers are dragging it for the amount of cutscenes and "PS2/PS3-like" graphics, but the cutscenes have been interesting so far and last-gen graphics is just a fact of life with modern JRPG budgets. It does maybe feel a little like a Vita conversion.

Combat is a little funky when it gets more fleshed out but it's still fun and it's got a lot of the trappings of a Valkyria game. Media.Vision also did VC3 which I like a lot so I'm hopeful for the rest of the game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'd probably be less concerned about the game if another studio didn't pull that recycled IP bs with Star Ocean.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SO5 was advertisement for the mobile game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rascyc posted:

I'd probably be less concerned about the game if another studio didn't pull that recycled IP bs with Star Ocean.
the difference is star ocean was always bad. they brought on the original developers of star ocean, they just didnt know how to make a good game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SO5 was bad like all the other Star Ocean games, so Valkyria Revolution will be good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The last demo I saw, it looked like a weird Tales game except replace all the Artes with a menu you have to use every single time you want to use an Arte

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my only experiences with star ocean have all been kind of insufferably boring so it always confuses me when people bring up star ocean 5 as an example of messing up a classic series

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Tae posted:

The last demo I saw, it looked like a weird Tales game except replace all the Artes with a menu you have to use every single time you want to use an Arte

This is kind of accurate. Movement is a bit more free-form than Tales generally is and the one boss I've fought has done MMO-lite dodge mechanics which I'm kind of into.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

The Colonel posted:

my only experiences with star ocean have all been kind of insufferably boring so it always confuses me when people bring up star ocean 5 as an example of messing up a classic series

What, you weren't entranced by indefinite sidekick and nappy time? RPG gamers are so picky these days.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if i wanted to spam one kick move on enemies for 80 hours, id play regal in tales of symphonia

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

SO5 was advertisement for the mobile game

Actually, Star Ocean 5 was supposed to be Tri-Ace's new owner's way of breaking out of mobile gaming and expanding i go the retail market.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

if i wanted to spam one kick move on enemies for 80 hours, id play regal in tales of symphonia

wait a minute....you don't get regal until like thirty hours in!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Star Ocean 3 is a game where I don't think I can disagree with anyone talking poo poo about it, but I love it anyway