Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

nope

i mean i don't like nazis but i like violence even less, and posters in the thread got kinda weird and tinfoil-ish about trump and the impending trump disasters, so it all just seems kind of silly from outsider's perspective to see people advocating fisticuffs and rebellion against the white supremacist capitalist patriarchy or w/e i'm supposed to call it

Trump rode to the presidency on a campaign of racial fear and continually winked at internet Nazi subculture. The very first press conference was a series of bald faced lies and theats that the media believe them. If you don't see this as an emergency, then I don't know what will convince you.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

AARO posted:

You think Spencer's words are likely to incite or produce such action immanently?

Likely? Give me a break.

Yes, his words caused a man to punch him. Ergo his words incite violence.

well that got weird af, a blog i read is now arguing that punching nazis and laughing about punching nazis will lead to minorities getting violenced by police more

If we start punching and laughing at cops, yes they'll retaliate. But gently caress em, they've already been mass murdering minorities for centuries.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 23, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AARO posted:

Arguing against the analogy is embarrassingly sophomoric drivel.

No, your analogy was bad and wrong, and now that you've been called out on comparing Nazis to gay people, you're blaming everyone else for your poor argument.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

AARO posted:

In the situation I set forth the reason he was punched was for stating that he was gay. It was not his being gay that triggered the punch, it was that he had spoken such.

Hi, nobody actually thinks like this and if you think that the course of reasoning was "this person said he was gay, therefore I will punch him because of the phonemic/lexemic sequence that he vocalized" rather than "this person said he was gay, therefore he probably is, therefore I will punch him" then you don't know how language works. Your scenario is unbelievably stupid, because a man who said that he was gay in a context that undercut the statement and signaled his heterosexuality would not be subject to that kind of treatment. He was not punched for a phonemic sequence, he was punched because the aggressor thought that what he said was true.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

yeah i was going to make another post about this but the popehat article about it pretty much summarized my feelings on the issue

https://www.popehat.com/2017/01/21/on-punching-nazis/

it goes on and on like this

concern_trolling.txt

Also dramatically misunderstanding how hate groups operate. But I repeat myself.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
AARO is a Nazi sympathizer.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

i mean i don't like nazis but i like violence even less
maybe you should reconsider that

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Bel_Canto posted:

Hi, nobody actually thinks like this and if you think that the course of reasoning was "this person said he was gay, therefore I will punch him because of the phonemic/lexemic sequence that he vocalized" rather than "this person said he was gay, therefore he probably is, therefore I will punch him" then you don't know how language works. Your scenario is unbelievably stupid, because a man who said that he was gay in a context that undercut the statement and signaled his heterosexuality would not be subject to that kind of treatment. He was not punched for a phonemic sequence, he was punched because the aggressor thought that what he said was true.

I get to set the parameters on my own hypothetical situation. Do I need to substitute the man who punches him for an alien who only punch people for saying they are gay (AAWOPPFSTAG). Fine it's AAWOPPFSTAG. Can we move on now?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

:allears:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Welcome to the struggle, my white brother! Together we will make the world understand that Nazis aren't bad. WPWW!

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Okay, but have you seen it now? Here, I'll quote it for you if you're having trouble finding it.

Which side do you think you would have agreed with if you had been around when it came out?

i mean i don't like nazis but i like violence even less, and posters in the thread got kinda weird and tinfoil-ish about trump and the impending trump disasters, so it all just seems kind of silly from outsider's perspective to see people advocating fisticuffs and rebellion against the white supremacist capitalist patriarchy or w/e i'm supposed to call it

Hate crimes spiked after Trump's election. His vice president supports conversion therapy for gay kids. His pick for chief strategist has a history of antisemitism and runs a news site dedicated to the very ideals espoused by neo-nazis and his pick for attorney general literally lost his job because he was too openly racist in the '80s and attacking voting rights of minorities. And I'm going to remind you that you seemed surprised he was endorsed by the KKK and thought Spencer was an obscure figure rather than someone with several interviews in high profile media outlets and also the guy who coined the term "alt-right". Perhaps you should consider reading up on things more before taking a definitive stance.

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 23, 2017

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

yellowyams posted:

Okay, but have you seen it now? Here, I'll quote it for you if you're having trouble finding it.

Which side do you think you would have agreed with if you had been around when it came out?

Hate crimes spiked after Trump's election. His vice president supports conversion therapy for gay kids. His pick for chief strategist has a history of antisemitism and runs a news site dedicated to the very ideals espoused by neo-nazis and his pick for attorney general literally lost his job because he was too openly racist in the '80s and attacking voting rights of minorities. And I'm going to remind you that you seemed surprised he was endorsed by the KKK and thought Spencer was an obscure figure rather than someone with several interviews in high profile media outlets and also the guy who coined the term "alt-right". Perhaps you should consider reading up on things more before taking a definitive stance.

I'm pretty sure that punching a white man in the face is worse than any of those things though . . .

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
The whole point of nazism/fascism is that life is eternal conflict and that only a state which exercises systemic violence for its own gain can succeed.

If you don't like violence, you should dislike nazism more. It requires and positively endorses not just isolated bouts of violence, but systematic violence (like Spencer calling for black genocide).

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 23, 2017

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

AARO posted:

I get to set the parameters on my own hypothetical situation. Do I need to substitute the man who punches him for an alien who only punch people for saying they are gay (AAWOPPFSTAG). Fine it's AAWOPPFSTAG. Can we move on now?

No because in that case your analogy sucks and doesn't remotely map on to what's happening. You're attempting an equivocation that doesn't work and don't seem to understand why it doesn't.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Rodatose posted:

The whole point of nazism/fascism is that life is eternal conflict and that only a state which exercises systemic violence for its own gain can succeed.

That's more Italian Fascism, especially the more modern parts of Italian Fascism.

The Nazi romantic vision of violence is very different and, frankly, a lot scarier.

It's the difference between trying to be the fastest in a race and dying in a horrific crash because you went faster than you could control and knocking someone off the track so you can win.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Bel_Canto posted:

No because in that case your analogy sucks and doesn't remotely map on to what's happening. You're attempting an equivocation that doesn't work and don't seem to understand why it doesn't.

I guess we're at an impasse. I really am trying here to understand what the hell you're saying.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

AARO posted:

I guess we're at an impasse. I really am trying here to understand what the hell you're saying.

That's funny, because everyone else understands what you are saying and finds it loving abhorrent.

Maybe you should check out a mirror sometime?

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Shbobdb posted:

That's funny, because everyone else understands what you are saying and finds it loving abhorrent.

Maybe you should check out a mirror sometime?

Oh I defintely will take a look at what you're saying in an attempt to change.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

yellowyams posted:

idk i'd probably find something else to do; i've never gotten worked up enough about politics to march about anything

i mean, i'm a little leery of The Greatening but i'm not panicking about it either, not calling it an emergency or running around screaming and from the looks of things most of the country isn't dissolving into chaos about trump just yet either

sometimes it helps to just chill out

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Shbobdb posted:

That's more Italian Fascism, especially the more modern parts of Italian Fascism.

The Nazi romantic vision of violence is very different and, frankly, a lot scarier.

It's the difference between trying to be the fastest in a race and dying in a horrific crash because you went faster than you could control and knocking someone off the track so you can win.

What was the difference

I thought that nazism had its intellectual roots in the same general place as the musolini/italiian facism and other fascisms of the time, especially drawing from futurism's glorification of violence, motion, nation and technology

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Chill people made the best Nazis. My mom grew up next to them. They got along, refused to make waves, looked the other way when things got ugly and focused on happier things than ‘politics. They were lovely people who turned their heads as their neighbors were dragged away. You know who weren’t chill people? Resisters.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

hahaha

yeah just tell this guy to chill out

look how chill he is, about to get shot by a cop for being black

just chill out man!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Rodatose posted:

What was the difference

I thought that nazism had its intellectual roots in the same general place as the musolini/italiian facism and other fascisms of the time, especially drawing from futurism's glorification of violence, motion, nation and technology

Not that it matters that much, but the Futurism of Italian Fascism is in conflict with the Romanticism found in German Nazism. But that's window dressing on a poo poo pie ;)

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

AARO posted:

Oh I defintely will take a look at what you're saying in an attempt to change.

Please tell your friends and family members that you're a Nazi sympathizer and report their reactions back to us, thanks in advance.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It wasn't just some random trump supporter that got punched. It was a literal white supremacist who supports literal genocide of black people.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Just posting about the man in the last page who said "I dislike nazis but I dislike violence even more" hahaha

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
GBS is catching on.

Look how much good your memes have done.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

idk i'd probably find something else to do; i've never gotten worked up enough about politics to march about anything

i mean, i'm a little leery of The Greatening but i'm not panicking about it either, not calling it an emergency or running around screaming and from the looks of things most of the country isn't dissolving into chaos about trump just yet either

Is that your response? Should MLK and other civil rights activists have chilled out until things got better? When do you think that would have happened?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AARO posted:

Punching someone because of how they were born isn't the same as punching someone for the beliefs they hold. The fact that in both cases they told the puncher about the thing they got punched for doesn't make the two situations somehow equivalent.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

nope

i mean i don't like nazis but i like violence even less,

oh my, lmao.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Main Paineframe posted:

Punching someone because of how they were born isn't the same as punching someone for the beliefs they hold. The fact that in both cases they told the puncher about the thing they got punched for doesn't make the two situations somehow equivalent.

As a straight cishet white man, these all look the same to me. I don't know why you people are making such a big deal :shrug:

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Main Paineframe posted:

Do you doubt the possibility of coming up with a hypothetical situation in which the one who is assaulted is beaten merely for speech and also blameless?

1950's. Guy speaks out in defense of black people. Gets punched. (Or an infinite amount of other analogies)

gently caress off with this argue against the analogy poo poo.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
"Defending black people is equivalent to calling for genocide on national media" - very serious people

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

AARO posted:

Do you doubt the possibility of coming up with a hypothetical situation in which the one who is assaulted is beaten merely for speech and also blameless?

1950's. Guy speaks out in defense of black people. Gets punched. (Or an infinite amount of other analogies)

gently caress off with this argue against the analogy poo poo.

no see we're back in the civil rights era and a black dude is being accused of rape, castrated, hanged and burned alive literally every day and you need to be up in arms about this

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

AARO posted:

This would be bad. Here's a different hypothetical:

2017. Guy speaks out in support of killing all black people. Gets punched.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

no see we're back in the civil rights era and a black dude is being accused of rape, castrated, hanged and burned alive literally every day and you need to be up in arms about this

Hi, please answer this:

yellowyams posted:

Is that your response? Should MLK and other civil rights activists have chilled out until things got better? When do you think that would have happened?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
i can't answer that because i'm not mlk, nor a civil rights activist, nor was i alive during that era

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

i can't answer that because i'm not mlk, nor a civil rights activist, nor was i alive during that era

Please explain how that leaves you unable to answer. Is history closed off from analysis once it passes? Should we get rid of history classes because there's nothing to learn from them?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Nor would you be any of these things if you were alive in that era by the sound of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003
Is punching the leader of the NBPP justified for his support of killing white babies?

• Locked thread