Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm just not convinced about violence.

Why can't we just dump a bucket of piss on fascists?

(Or is it because they might like it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

All the OG BPP were killed or thrown in the deepest holes. That's how you know they were taken totally seriously.

I only read chunks of Huey's Revolutionary Suicide back in the day but it was killer.

I read bits of Soul on Ice and Cleaver himself was just baring far too much humanity for me to comprehend back then. I was like 18. I really need to revisit it. Played the poo poo out of the Ras Kass album tho.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

These articles were all over the drat place for a while, usually accompanied by a picture of him jogging, but people seem to be coming around.

He's the liberal version of shirtless Putin, right down to actually being unattractive.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Egbert Souse posted:

(Or is it because they might like it)

As a literal reformed neo-nazi I can promise you that it wasn't reason that made me come around, it was spending time around leftists who I liked as people plus fear of being ostracized. This sounds terrible to say but basically people don't change their minds because you convince them logically, they change their mind for emotional reasons, most notably "in order to have consensus with the people they respect / who are close to them."

Cults survive because they cut off relationships with anyone who isn't indoctrinated, so my #1 priority would be to just teach loving history in primary school and encourage as many people as possible to go to college. If that still doesn't reach someone that's unfortunate and I hate to give up on anyone completely, but at the same time, at a certain point you have to consider the relative value of trying to change one person's mind vs. legitimizing them in the eyes of others.

Punching that dude in the face on the news sends a message that's ultimately more socially valuable than the cost of his bruises and hurt feelings.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Just as Canada looks like a good country because everyone compares it to the US, Trudeau will look like a good prime minister because everyone is going to compare him to Trump.

Egbert Souse posted:

It's a logistics problem. Filling an entire bucket with piss is surprisingly hard, and it gets really heavy when you have to carry it around all day.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I say we invite the fascists, one at a time, to a school dance.

have the piss bucket waiting and rdy to go

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't think awakening the fascists latent telekinetic abilities is such a good idea.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't think awakening the fascists latent telekinetic abilities is such a good idea.

That only works with blood, piss just gives you a searing telepathic headache

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Who's stopping you?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

this is elementary bodily fluid science here

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
light cops and nazis on fire because there is no difference, hail satan

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Napalm piss

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Fill a supersoaker with piss and you can use that to more easily drench the fascists

gently caress Whitey posted:

light cops and nazis on fire because there is no difference, hail satan

Don't light my friend Amanda on fire, she's in training right now because she's hella gay and liberal and wants to make the world a better place :ohdear:

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Coffee And Pie posted:

Fill a supersoaker with piss and you can use that to more easily drench the fascists

Don't light my friend Amanda on fire, she's in training right now because she's hella gay and liberal and wants to make the world a better place :ohdear:

all i hear is that she's a brownshirt facsisst for me to poop on

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

all i hear is that she's a brownshirt facsisst for me to poop on

We have matching equality tattoos. That's how gay.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

As a literal reformed neo-nazi I can promise you that it wasn't reason that made me come around, it was spending time around leftists who I liked as people plus fear of being ostracized. This sounds terrible to say but basically people don't change their minds because you convince them logically, they change their mind for emotional reasons, most notably "in order to have consensus with the people they respect / who are close to them."

Cults survive because they cut off relationships with anyone who isn't indoctrinated, so my #1 priority would be to just teach loving history in primary school and encourage as many people as possible to go to college. If that still doesn't reach someone that's unfortunate and I hate to give up on anyone completely, but at the same time, at a certain point you have to consider the relative value of trying to change one person's mind vs. legitimizing them in the eyes of others.

Punching that dude in the face on the news sends a message that's ultimately more socially valuable than the cost of his bruises and hurt feelings.

That's an excellent argument. I'm not as concerned with changing minds that don't want to be changed, but sending that message that this sort of viewpoint has no place in modern society.

The scariest thing about all this is how the right has absolutely turned on the education systems. They don't want schools or colleges to exist without being a place for indoctrination. I've never heard so much anti-student sentiment in my life. The family members I know who talk poo poo about college students now are the same ones who thought it was great I went to college ten years ago.

Maybe violence is the answer and I'm afraid to realize that.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Who's stopping you?

Well, I guess it is kind of impractic-

Coffee And Pie posted:

I like the cut of your jib, C&P.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 23, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't think it's possible to be both braindead and psychic.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Maybe violence is the answer and I'm afraid to realize that.

I mean, like I said, I don't advocate in favor of violence for a bunch of reasons. I'm just saying it's not worth feeling at all bad or guilty about a nazi dickhead getting tuned up. There emphatically is not a more "dude had it coming" candidate than that.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 23, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If we're going to be violent towards fascists, can we at least be more creative than punches?

I like the idea of going around inflicting violence on fascists, except limiting myself to only methods used by Bugs Bunny or Kevin McAllister.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTPq0mNS0-0&t=34s

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Egbert Souse posted:

If we're going to be violent towards fascists, can we at least be more creative than punches?

gently caress you they dont deserve a single bit of my brainpower

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Turning life into the leftist version of Postal 2 might not be that bad.

gently caress you they dont deserve a single bit of my brainpower

Are wedgies and shoving them in lockers still on the table

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I mean don't get me wrong I think it'd be rad if someone did this to Richard Spencer but I don think it's happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaBh-B6F2sk

"You are a vicious bastard, Spencer, and, uh, I'm glad you're dead!"

Side note, I rewatched Batman '89 the other night and gently caress is it good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

I like the idea of going around inflicting violence on fascists, except limiting myself to only methods used by Bugs Bunny or Kevin McAllister.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTPq0mNS0-0&t=34s

There is a certain poetic justice in burning them alive, yes. If you haven't realized by his candlelight dinner where he prepares the brutal torture of two unknowing men, Kevin McAllister is a psychopath.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

RandallODim posted:

Are wedgies and shoving them in lockers still on the table

YES

Get one of them to hold a stack of books just to make them drop them, then yell NEEEEERRRRRRD before running away.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean don't get me wrong I think it'd be rad if someone did this to Richard Spencer but I don think it's happening.

That would be beautiful. Maybe not the burnt to a crisp level, but poking with an electric cattle prod would be sufficient.

There's potential in intersecting anti-fascist action and performance art.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Saw "Sailor Moon R" (1993) today. Yer man been reading a bit of Laura Mulvey lately so I'm in the 2nd-wave mindset, but Sailor Moon is clearly a product of third-wave thinking. (I don't know a lot about Sailor Moon, this is my first time seriously watching anything Sailor Moon as an adult).

Sailor Moon R is almost nonsensical and its narrative is nearly nonexistent. The pleasure is entirely visual- this is a world of crystals and flower petals, where character growth is demonstrated through sparkling, psychedelic transformation sequences. It seems to me that the center of pleasure in Sailor Moon is highly material; more specifically, it invests very heavily in the pleasure of clothing, and the transformative potential of clothing and masquerade as a means of negotiating femininity in pubescence.

I wouldn't say that "Sailor Moon R" is locked within patriarchal constructs- in fact, I'm still trying to figure out why it is that it uses the cinematic language of the male gaze, but feels like there isn't an intended male audience- but I'm interested to hear, from Sailor Moon fans, if the more contemporary material has evolved in its portrayals and in the way that it navigates the depiction of women characters?

PS: Sailor Jupiter is the best guardian and we are married now and it's forever haters

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Anonymous Robot posted:

Saw "Sailor Moon R" (1993) today. Yer man been reading a bit of Laura Mulvey lately so I'm in the 2nd-wave mindset, but Sailor Moon is clearly a product of third-wave thinking. (I don't know a lot about Sailor Moon, this is my first time seriously watching anything Sailor Moon as an adult).

Sailor Moon R is almost nonsensical and its narrative is nearly nonexistent. The pleasure is entirely visual- this is a world of crystals and flower petals, where character growth is demonstrated through sparkling, psychedelic transformation sequences. It seems to me that the center of pleasure in Sailor Moon is highly material; more specifically, it invests very heavily in the pleasure of clothing, and the transformative potential of clothing and masquerade as a means of negotiating femininity in pubescence.

I wouldn't say that "Sailor Moon R" is locked within patriarchal constructs- in fact, I'm still trying to figure out why it is that it uses the cinematic language of the male gaze, but feels like there isn't an intended male audience- but I'm interested to hear, from Sailor Moon fans, if the more contemporary material has evolved in its portrayals and in the way that it navigates the depiction of women characters?

PS: Sailor Jupiter is the best guardian and we are married now and it's forever haters

all i really know about sailor moon is the lady who created it is married to the yuyu hakusho/hunterxhunter guy so they are p ok

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

wanna hear what Anonymous Robot has to say after he watches Utena

basically Sailor Moon R was Kunihiku Ikuhara's dry run for the show he actually wanted to make and he had very limited creative control over it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I only read chunks of Huey's Revolutionary Suicide back in the day but it was killer.

I read bits of Soul on Ice and Cleaver himself was just baring far too much humanity for me to comprehend back then. I was like 18. I really need to revisit it. Played the poo poo out of the Ras Kass album tho.

That Ras Kass album just flooded back for me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I still think the best part of that movie is Joker and Vicki's date.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 23, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I still thing the best part of that movie is Joker and Vicki's date.

You mean at the museum? 100% agreed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I still thing the best part of that movie is Joker and Vicki's date.

Yeah, no contest.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Every Nicholson line reading in that scene is perfect.

"I don't know if it's art, but I like it!"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

One of the great things about the playoffs is really how the play is so constrained because basically every good player is going to be fighting through injuries or not playing at all. Like at a certain point it just becomes about which team can endure crippling injuries the most to make it to the final and then the Superbowl is always a mediocre game between two banged-up teams. This is why actual football fans rarely give a care about the superbowl (also if you're a football enthusiast you probably like one of the teams that never makes it)

Good for Atlanta's fanbase tho I guess :unsmith:

We've had like 6 all time classic Super Bowls in the last decade, the heck are you talking about? Steelers Cards, Niners Ravens, Pats Giants 1 and 2, Pats Hawks, arguably Packers Steelers. And only two of those games feature a team I don't hate.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Steelers/Cardinals and 49ers/Ravens were both really good

Except the endings...

Spatula City posted:

When our opponents are literal Nazis, I'm not sure this is particularly useful. Peaceful protest only works on people that can be made to care. Nearly half the country wants to make the lives of the other half miserable. What does reason have to say against that?

They aren't, or not all of them, not yet - Trump doesn't have anything like the sophisticated ideology of the Nazis or other interwar Fascists and his right populism is at most a desultory cousin - though obviously actual white nationalists and fascists seem to like what they see. But it's definitely worth remembering that Hitler had a specific plan for dealing with non violent resistors and Gandhi knew it - kill them. In light of the rebellion and resistance that were NOT sparked by the Holocaust, it's hard to see Gandhi's advice to the Jews as anything but discredited by history, unless you really do prefer a principled death for nonviolence to violent resistance. In which case, good luck.

Did anyone see Midnight Special. That is an all time People With Interesting Faces cast and Nichols knew it. He lets close ups do all the heavy lifting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Did anyone see Midnight Special. That is an all time People With Interesting Faces cast and Nichols knew it. He lets close ups do all the heavy lifting.

That's a movie I've liked more and more since first seeing it back at the beginning of the year. Shannon is outstanding.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's a movie I've liked more and more since first seeing it back at the beginning of the year. Shannon is outstanding.

It's almost shocking it's not adapted from a comic and not just cause of the Superman stuff. It feels like it has reams of excised plot, but not in a bad way.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
The sex scene in Three Days of the Condor is really out of no where. Robert Redford kidnaps a girl, tells her a crazy story about the CIA and she just goes for it. Maybe it was to distract him? Doesn't seem like it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Nicholson was by far the best Joker. It was the perfect balance of whimsy and menace, particularly in how everyone else treats him. All the other characters, particularly the extras and side characters, are just cartoonish enough to provoke this slightly suffocating air of otherness and unreality and really sell moments like when everyone goes bananas over his Money Parade. There's this slight humor, and then it's not really funny anymore. The way the film gets you is so good, and totally missing from the Heath Ledger performance.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

With Take Shelter and Midnight Special, Shannon shot up to being one of my favorite actors.

I remember everyone turning on Burton's Batman when TDK came out and being baffled cause 89 is loving dope as hell.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Egbert Souse posted:

The scariest thing about all this is how the right has absolutely turned on the education systems.

That's what terrifies me. My wife is a teacher and works for the University of Wisconsin, which has eaten almost a billion dollars in funding cuts since Governor Walker took office (and everyone at UW is walking on pins and needles, since the governor is set to deliver his biennial budget proposal in a couple of weeks). Wisconsin Republicans actually had the gall to accuse UW's chancellor and president of malfeasance because there were a few hundred million dollars in an emergency reserve fund. Like, how dare a higher education institution have a rainy day fund?

Already, my wife's position was eliminated once (the news was delivered the day after Christmas a few years ago) and she had to re-apply for the same position in a different center, and now that department is looking at cutbacks.

The right has somehow made anti-intellectualism not only acceptable, but a virtue, which is just incomprehensible to me.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The way the film gets you is so good, and totally missing from the Heath Ledger performance.

Ledger's "hhhhiiiiiii" in Dent's hospital room is brilliant, though. Cracks me up every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I still think the best part of that movie is Joker and Vicki's date.

Keaton's "YOU WANNA GET NUTS?!" wins for me but that is so loving close with the perfect Prince soundtrack and how frenetic the direction on Joker's, erm, redesigning is.

• Locked thread