Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Do it ironically posted:

Aha gently caress off poor trolling attempt, I'm a P Eng, and yeah no poo poo 3k isn't a lot for say New York City but I have no idea what buying power is in China

3k is living well in China, even Beijing. But it's still only 3k for when it comes time to put your kid in school and/or retire, plus the opportunity cost to your career for torpedoing it if you take time off in the middle of it to be a househusband in China, a place with drawbacks for days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Yeah that's one thing to leave my current job and not work would be frustrating after a while for sure

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Do it ironically posted:

my wife wants to take a job in beijing (not english teaching), it pays $3,000 US a month, and they provide flights, medical insurance, and housing

im trying to tell her how awful it can be living there when you dont speak the language and are pasty white but she doesn't get it

if you don't have any housing expenses is $3,000 US a lot or a little ?

3,000 USD a month will barely cover international school costs for your kid, so unless your kid is a toddler, you'll need another source of income

personally speaking i have a one year old and i am doing everything in my power to get him away from china for as long as possible. but that's just me.

if your wife was offered like 20,000 rmb/month, it's definitely decent if it is after taxes and housing is included. for a family tho idk. you'll probably want to find work, but if you're on a family visa you won't be allowed to work legally so you'll end up like teaching english on the side or being a foreign model by like pretending to play the keyboard in the mall, or something.

if your life is total crap then go ahead and go for it but if you have a pretty comfortable existence i wouldn't recommend it "for adventure". you're raising a kid, that's enough of an adventure, you don't need to bring it to china.

if you want an adventure go rock climbing or camping this weekend

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Be smart about it. It might be a good move for your wife but it's not good for you or your child. Let her go pursue her Chinese dream for a few years and stay in Canada with your kid.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey china! You know 3 Kingdoms yes? Shutup about it.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

JaucheCharly posted:

Taiwan goons, how is the best China's chabuduo game? I want to know, is it something that communist rule brought forth?

I'm always like 4 pages behind but here's popular Taiwanese rapper MC Hot Dog's most famous song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrqKvu-rqIc

It's called Mr. Chabuduo, and he says 差不多 about 43000 times in it.

e: and here's my favorite mc 热狗 song, “Wo ai tai mei" which is seen by PRC officials as a subversive anti-mainland song which just made it more popular with younger Chinese kids when it came out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ8mn5fS5_M

Do it ironically posted:

my wife wants to take a job in beijing (not english teaching), it pays $3,000 US a month, and they provide flights, medical insurance, and housing

im trying to tell her how awful it can be living there when you dont speak the language and are pasty white but she doesn't get it

if you don't have any housing expenses is $3,000 US a lot or a little ?

Beijing has so many white people and so much english those are not the reasons you should/shouldn't go. Other people wrote a lot of good reasons to think about, but Beijing has such a large number of english speaking expats and services set up for them this is the least of your concerns.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 23, 2017

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Why would you move a small child into the smog of Beijing?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I remember being a kid in KL in the 90s and the smog being so bad that I came home early from school sick most days. Eventually we even had to spend a month in Malaysia while we waited for the seasonal rains to flush the air out and put out the crop burning fires in Indonesia that were compounding the poor air quality.

If that sounds like the conditions you want your kid to live in, then by all means move to Beijing.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Do it ironically posted:

Yeah that's one thing to leave my current job and not work would be frustrating after a while for sure
Could you get a Chinajob too? There mightn't be a lot of time to do it in, but if you can swing even a mediocre job, it will give you time to look for another job on the right visa.

The Great Autismo! does make a great point about the age of your kid tho. If they hella young, you gotta weigh the immersion level Chinese against the otherwise quite mediocre education OR it being hella expensive but you still get that sweet sweet language poo poo.

Even if it is Chinese, being bilingual from an early age is super.
this is like the greeks tracing their history back to the time of the gods for historical accuracy

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

The Great Autismo! posted:

3,000 USD a month will barely cover international school costs for your kid, so unless your kid is a toddler, you'll need another source of income

Yeah, bear in mind that the "good" schools all have super air purification systems and domes over the sports fields. Afaik the other, let's call them tier 2/3 schools, have no air cleaning equipment and your kids just breath the smog. The good ones cost an arm and a leg.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/15/health/china-beijing-smog-tale-of-two-cities/index.html

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Do it ironically posted:

nah im in my early thirties

im not sure if im just brainwashed by this thread or if moving to beijing with a young kid would be as horrible as i think it is

Give your kid a decent childhood with a chance to enjoy the outdoors with unpolluted air and uncontaminated food. Stay in Canada.

Don't underestimate the effect pollution will have on your child's development. Additionally, lead paint is still an issue in apartments and food safety will always be a concern, even if you shop at places like Metro that carry foreign brands. There's a good reason why so many people end their China adventures once they have a kid.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

If you have a P.E., how does $3,000 a month sound worth it to you? You should be making a lot more than that right now unless you live in an extremely low cost of living area. Line up a job before you go, and hopefully you have some connections with a an international firm because there's not a lot of reason for a local Chinese firm to hire you when they can get a fresh Chinese university grad to chabuduo it for a tenth your salary.

Like if you desperately want to live in China for the experience you can do it. But if you and the kid are just along for the ride and you're just going to move there without a job and fire resumes into the smog it's insane.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Do it ironically posted:

nah im in my early thirties

im not sure if im just brainwashed by this thread or if moving to beijing with a young kid would be as horrible as i think it is
DO IT IRONICALLY!

JK. Dude, that is child abuse. Don't bring your kid to one of the most toxic places on the planet. It's not just the air; it's the water, it's the food (soil and water), it's the building materials in the house you live in, the products you use (mmm, lead!), it's the selfish and chabudou culture that allows every corner to be cut or lied about... it's practically everything. There are redeeming qualities might be found in other parts of China, but going right to the heart of the most polluted area of China is not going to help your situation. Raising a kid in China, especially in Dongbei, is one of the dumbest things anyone can do and should be considered a form of child abuse. Think about how vulnerable your kid's immune system is right now, and how much poo poo is going to go into it. The level of fatal childhood leukemia and lung cancer should be enough of a reason not to bring your kid here.

Anyone in China or going to China needs to read this book. It's a little old already, but it summarizes how much the poo poo around us actually ends up in our bodies and what it does to us without us realizing it:
https://www.amazon.com/Whats-Gotten-into-Us-Staying/dp/1400068037
There's an ebook edition out there too (you can also find epub/kindle versions on download sites...).

Outrail posted:

Haier getting into a serious relationship with a cop's ex-soldier sister would be an amazing finish.

Like some sort of Stockholm syndrome but not really. Or maybe something else. This is all a ploy Haier, they know who you are. Look deep within your heart and you'll know I speak true. I can't say any more here, it's not safe.

P-Mack posted:

But we all know he's gonna have an update or two about how it's going great and she might be the one, then a week or two later come back with an insane tale of how he just got Chinared harder than ever before.
LOL, yes, this is my typical follow-up routine. I just found out today that she is a virgin. I can't deal with virgins, it's too much hassle. We'll just stay friends and hang and talk. If she wasn't a virgin, I might wait a while and then ask her to be my GF and call it quits on the womens until I leave here. But, she's a virgin, and that's serious business and I prefer to stay out of it since there's such a strong value and stigma attached to virginity here.
It's ok. I'm tired of meeting crazy people or letting them come to my house. They are all gone and now, and I am not even interested to replace or meet new people in that capacity. No more spelunking in the hair caves.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

This right here!

If you want your kid to have a decent learning experience (a school that isn't filthy and snacks/meals that are not gym mat stuffing) while you are there, $1,500-2,500 (per month, per child) is the ballpark you're going to have to shoot for.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A young single person going to Beijing for 3000 a month, sure why not. A family with a kid? gently caress no why would you even consider that.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Do it ironically posted:

Aha gently caress off poor trolling attempt, I'm a P Eng, and yeah no poo poo 3k isn't a lot for say New York City but I have no idea what buying power is in China

This was to trolling like you moving to China is trolling your kid.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Raising a child in China by choice is abuse, at best you're shaving life expectency off the kid. At worst, the air pollution, poisoned water, fake food and high cost of quality education will leave its marks.

quote:

Arglebargle III posted:
It's like giving a presentation to orcs about cleaning up Mordor. "At first, I too thought that the reeking sulfurous clouds and greasy water choked with the ashes of industry were a normal, healthy part of Lord Sauron's benevolence! But when it was my time to unleash my own hideous brood upon our hated enemy the Earth, I started thinking: is constantly weeping blood and pus really what I want for my wretched progeny?"

Vice - pollution in china
Journeyman - Chinas pollution emergency
Under the dome documentary with subtitles
China - tainted milk scandal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkk7Fi4gstw Baby milk smuggling
China - Fake meat
China Airpocalypse now
China bullet train crash and cover up.
Tianjin explosion
Chinas car score zero for safety
Heavy metal poisoning in China

A normal beijing scene:

BCR fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 23, 2017

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Public Notification: Libigrow XXX Treme contains hidden drug ingredient
Public Notification: Night Man contains hidden drug ingredient
Public Notification: Black King Kong contains hidden drug ingredient
Public Notification: 72HP contains hidden drug ingredient
Public Notification: Tibet Babao contains hidden drug ingredient
Public Notification: Germany Niubian contains hidden drug ingredient
Public Notification: Happy Passengers contains hidden drug ingredient
Public Notification: Zhansheng Weige Chaoyue Xilishi contains hidden drug ingredient
Public Notification: Triple PowerZEN Gold contains hidden drug ingredient
Public Notification: Samurai-X contains hidden drug ingredient
Public Notification: Black Storm contains hidden drug ingredient

BCR fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 23, 2017

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

BCR posted:

Raising a child in China by choice is abuse, at best you're shaving life expectency off the kid. At worst, the air pollution, poisoned water, fake food and high cost of quality education will leave its marks.

China - Fake meat
China Airpocalypse now
Tianjin explosion

A normal beijing scene:

WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? CHINA IS THE LEADER IN GREEN ENERGY. THE USA JUST ELECTED A loving ORANGE BUSINESSMAN REALITY TV STAR AS A PRESIDENT, WHILE CHINA IS NOW THE LEADER IN SOLAR TECHNOLOGY AND GREEN ENERGY. THE USA'S DAYS ARE LIMITED AND CHINA WILL BE THE NEW WORLD POWER TO WATCH OUT FOR. HOW DO YOU NOT GET IT?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/gUC8cjZ.gifv - NWS Hot elevator action

Mongol throat singing euro dance snake edition

Thanks for all the stories Haier, you should write a small book about it all.

BCR fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 23, 2017

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BCR posted:

China - Fake meat
China Airpocalypse now
Tianjin explosion

A normal beijing scene:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Wow. You take your kid out for a meal as a treat in China and the end result can literally be them eating fake poisoned food laced with formaldehyde and pesticide. Nice place.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I love it that drunk chinese dudes are filled with impotent rage and lash out by violently kicking inanimate objects like doors, walls, and parked cars

like in some countries when youre drunk maybe you want an excuse to gently caress someone up, but in china you risk getting hurt so its better to fight something that can't hit back

by the way that's also why fights in china are almost entirely push-kicks and jumping kicks - you have the most distance and the least likely chance of hurting yourself while doing it

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Vesi posted:

20k rambos after housing is fine, a good school for the kid might cost a bit more but maybe you can homeschool?

Air quality is the biggest caveat, you have to accept that you'll cut some years/months out of your life just by breathing

Not to mention the young child that was mentioned.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

LentThem posted:

by the way that's also why fights in china are almost entirely push-kicks and jumping kicks - you have the most distance and the least likely chance of hurting yourself while doing it

Taking a week of boxing training would make you a nearly unstoppable force going to China. I've seen a bunch of "fights" when I was there, and 90% of them fell into the following categories...

-women grabbing each others hair and dragging each other to the ground (mistress encounters?)
-guys grabbing each others clothes and doing a bad imitation of the tango
-guys pushing each other and doing ineffective swatting
-guys kicking and stomping on someone on the ground (usually 6 on 1)
-like you said, guys jumping and kicking, falling on their rear end, running 10 paces away, then repeating the process over and over like some sort of retarded jousting

Whenever my friends and I encountered a drunken Chinese guy fight, we would usually run away as it was possible someone would decided to tell the cops we started it, or the guys fighting might decide to join forces again the foreigners.

Now Korea is a place I would not want to pick a fight, as there are a lot of guys who have taken martial arts as kids, and later on in their ROK service, and unlike China where guys are usually either 120lb waifs or 200lb 5'5" marshmallows, you can encounter some really solid and big guys who look like they know how to handle themselves. One guy I saw on the subway going back to Dongducheon was ~6'4", probably 220lbs and had fists the size of hams. He was listening to "Nobody" by the wonder girls on his phone (I could tell because he was humming along with it).

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
To be honest, Trump's presidency probably is the "beginning of the end" for America. Of course, that doesn't mean that China's problems will all disappear and they'll be on top, etc.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

Taking a week of boxing training would make you a nearly unstoppable force going to China. I've seen a bunch of "fights" when I was there, and 90% of them fell into the following categories...

-women grabbing each others hair and dragging each other to the ground (mistress encounters?)
-guys grabbing each others clothes and doing a bad imitation of the tango
-guys pushing each other and doing ineffective swatting
-guys kicking and stomping on someone on the ground (usually 6 on 1)
-like you said, guys jumping and kicking, falling on their rear end, running 10 paces away, then repeating the process over and over like some sort of retarded jousting

Now Korea is a place I would not want to pick a fight, as there are a lot of guys who have taken martial arts as kids, and later on in their ROK service, and unlike China where guys are usually either 120lb waifs or 200lb 5'5" marshmallows, you can encounter some really solid and big guys who look like they know how to handle themselves. One guy I saw on the subway going back to Dongducheon was ~6'4", probably 220lbs and had fists the size of hams. He was listening to "Nobody" by the wonder girls on his phone (I could tell because he was humming along with it).

Tae Kwon Do is one of the most worthless martial arts as far as self defense goes though. No punching generally and definitely never no punching to the head. If you don't know how to fight I guess you could lose to a TKD guy but 95 times out of a hundred anyone who is a competent boxer or has had any other sort of actual martial art that allows punching to the head is going to make a mess out of them.

#1 source of KOs in MMA? Right cross to the head.
#1 source of KOs in boxing? Right cross to the head.
#1 source of KOs in kickboxing, including Muay Thai? Right cross to the head.
#1 thing that gets you a penalty in TKD? Right cross to the head.

Punching someone in the head is absolutely our number one offensive capacity as unarmed humans and building a martial art that ignores it is absolutely moronic.

If you're talking a Korean judoka or whatever that's a different issue, of course.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 23, 2017

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

the best part of this video is the dude who just kinda stares at the elevator, turns around, starts walking away like "yup just witnessed another one of my friends kill himself"

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

ArmchairWarrior.jpg

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Well, you can choose to let yourself be ruled by fear, sense or advice from well meaning goons.

I say go with your heart. You're only gonna live once and there's way too many people that choose to just stay in their rut. We already have most of mankind just doing whatever; why not choose to follow your wife into something different?

most of the goons here, you will note, are not dead yet. just get a good respirator for you and your family while you're still in Canada and things will probably work out fine

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

ArmchairWarrior.jpg
armchairs are not good weapons; I cannot recommend them. Even barstools are rather garbage as weapons

Ryu ga Gotoku is, alas, deceptive when it comes to the weaponized quality of household furniture

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
The Ping dynasty was followed by the Ming dynasty which was followed by the Qing dynasty

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

the best part of this video is the dude who just kinda stares at the elevator, turns around, starts walking away like "yup just witnessed another one of my friends kill himself"

more like upset that he now has to take the stairs

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Well, you can choose to let yourself be ruled by fear, sense or advice from well meaning goons.

I say go with your heart. You're only gonna live once and there's way too many people that choose to just stay in their rut. We already have most of mankind just doing whatever; why not choose to follow your wife into something different?

this really isn't bad advice but the kid throws a whole wrench into it.

like i've sat in an ambulance while someone is dying next to me and we are rushing to the hospital and we are a block away just sitting in traffic. and then you get to the hospital and someone needs their stomach pumped and the nurse says she doesn't have the courage to put the tube in the guy's throat and asks if i would do it.

i've been physically attacked two times just minding my own business because i am a foreigner

there are zero places to play outside that are not covered in feces and finished cigarettes.

china is interesting and fascinating and cool and good but bringing a kid here by choice is insane. if you're mentally tough enough you can spend a few years in china and it will drastically increase your EQ and your street smarts and make you appreciate many things about your home country you took for granted.

but for the love of God do not bring a child to China to live for an extended period of time

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
In case anyone is wondering, no, their situational awareness isn't that much better when sober.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I mean, I want to say try out the long distance thing, with her in China, him in Canada and kid and him visiting frequently but tbh as someone that was rather burned by a long distance relationship I can't recommend it

Also can't help but wonder how me living in a nordic country colours the whole thing because there will always be a part of me thinking "anywhere outside the Nordics is only half-civilized at best anyway" so the differences between China and the US don't feel as big to me. Though exchange students to the US are not usually supplied with respirators before going there soooooo

Also, funny fact of the day before I go to sleep; because Macau is part of the Schengen area I can travel there super easily technically. But there isn't a whole lotta point in just visiting that place, is there?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

If you do want to go to China, go to best China.

Best China has a music scene.
Best China has free access to the internet.
Best China has the best museum in the world dedicated to Chinese culture.
Best China has a people who aren't scarred from 40 years of living on Mt Dooms slag heap.

Taiwan number one

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

most of the goons here, you will note, are not dead yet. just get a good respirator for you and your family while you're still in Canada and things will probably work out fine
armchairs are not good weapons; I cannot recommend them. Even barstools are rather garbage as weapons

Ryu ga Gotoku is, alas, deceptive when it comes to the weaponized quality of household furniture

I generally think people are far too risk adverse but an engineer near the beginning of his career with a toddler going to a C tier city so his wife can pull down a measly 3k a year is just error all around.

It would be really admirable if they both wanted to live abroad with their kid but pick somewhere better than Beijing and somewhere that won't torpedo the household income.

I mean, I want to say try out the long distance thing, with her in China, him in Canada and kid and him visiting frequently but tbh as someone that was rather burned by a long distance relationship I can't recommend it

I don't know, that's tantamount to divorce IMO

BCR posted:

If you do want to go to China, go to best China.

Best China has a music scene.
Best China has free access to the internet.
Best China has the best museum in the world dedicated to Chinese culture.
Best China has a people who aren't scarred from 40 years of living on Mt Dooms slag heap.

Taiwan number one

Yeah. Or Singapore or Bangkok or somewhere in Japan or Europe or some Carribean island or whatever. Even Hong Kong. Not Mainland China.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Also can't help but wonder how me living in a nordic country colours the whole thing because there will always be a part of me thinking "anywhere outside the Nordics is only half-civilized at best anyway" so the differences between China and the US don't feel as big to me. Though exchange students to the US are not usually supplied with respirators before going there soooooo

Also, funny fact of the day before I go to sleep; because Macau is part of the Schengen area I can travel there super easily technically. But there isn't a whole lotta point in just visiting that place, is there?

Macau and Hong Kong are super cool and very beautiful and you should visit there if you're in Asia. Highly recommend both.

• Locked thread