Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

alf_pogs posted:

i wonder what the total post count of the combined star citizen threads is. the last thread was stopped at page 6665, no idea on the one before that

That's 266,600 posts if it made it to the end of the page. It has to be close to one million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Regrettable posted:

That's 266,600 posts if it made it to the end of the page. It has to be close to one million.

if i got paid a dollar for each post about star citizen on this dead gay comedy forum i wouldn't even have 1% of what chris roberts made sellin' jpegs and dreams on the side of the information superhighway

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

sweet fancy moses that's depressing

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

alf_pogs posted:

i wonder what the total post count of the combined star citizen threads is. the last thread was stopped at page 6665, no idea on the one before that

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466 (6665 pages)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744337 (746 pages)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639730 (905 pages)

Can't find a thread before the earliest one. Perhaps Beer knows as he's been the OP of three of them.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

IrvingWashington posted:

Hello SC thread. My dog died yesterday. Osteosarcoma. She was only with us for 5 1/2 wonderful years. Remember to call your dogges. They love you and want you to have all the fidolety you can handle.

I am sorry to hear about your loss.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Not that you should eat half a pineapple in one sitting, but that's about how much it takes before your mouth starts tingling, and by the end of it you're gonna be tender for a while.

Ive eaten a whole to see if that was true. Not a thing for me but my friend wasnt happy for a couple days. I am pineapple immune.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Quavers posted:

Can't find a thread before the earliest one. Perhaps Beer knows as he's been the OP of three of them.

I'm not sure how to find them, but I'll see if I kept a record anywhere.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zzr posted:

I think fat people should pay a carbon tax, because they give off way more methane than human beings ; they are like cows.

You've got it backwards, they're sequestering that carbon up in their giant bodies.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Quavers posted:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm not sure how to find them, but I'll see if I kept a record anywhere.

Here you are: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511398&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ah the good ol' days

2012. Someone said this in 2012, and Chris is still doing exactly what was predicted

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Hey Beer, can I ask how is your toe or is that doxing? (This is not me asking about your toe or doxing/please confirm that AftJason, you're my only hope)

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Inkel posted:

TheAgent .. do you even understand mocap development? :smug:

I agree with the idea this guy is saying, but I have no actual knowledge on this. How can mocap data be incompatible? Do they not keep the raw data around (because it is huge?) and so immediately process it to some target skeleton? Even if you did that, you could write a tool to re-target that skeleton to another.

Or is it unsuitable as in they have already gone in and hand-cleaned the animations so it isn't that they need to record more, but that they need to re-spend the actual major cost which is the hand-cleaning part?

Please help, I do not understand game development.

Sappo569 posted:

Ah the good ol' days

2012. Someone said this in 2012, and Chris is still doing exactly what was predicted

I can't believe anyone thought this project would work out as soon as they started releasing details of their development plans.

I have posted it so many times; how can any coder of any level think that making three games "modules" by three disparate teams and then merging them together later could work? Why didn't anyone loving stop this retard idea? Can a journalist actually pin him down on this one, because it keeps me up at night wondering?

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Sappo569 posted:

Ah the good ol' days

So many innocent goons, throwing so much money at mushmouth-Roberts :smith:

It's so strange reading through these old threads. I know I have the advantage of hindsight and I've only been following Star Citizen for less than a year, but all of the red flags were there right from the start. How could anyone buy the bullshit line of "Star Citizen will have everything you've ever dreamed of! Plus we'll do it in two years with a small budget and 20-30 people!"

Chris Roberts 2012 AMA posted:

You can definitely crash land on a carrier deck without blowing up. I've done it a few times!
Flash forward to current Star Citizen where even looking at a ship wrong will sometimes cause it to spontaneously explode and fly off into space at 1,000 km/s.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Inkel posted:

Many goons, because of our cynical nature, saw the writing on the wall early and sold their ships on reddit for double/triple what was paid for them.

Not me, I bought the cheap starter package and stopped. But other's made money off of the suckers who are currently in a sunk cost cyclone.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kosumo posted:

Hey Beer, can I ask how is your toe or is that doxing? (This is not me asking about your toe or doxing/please confirm that AftJason, you're my only hope)

Still broken. Turns out I would have been fine just buddy splinting it and skipping out on the ER visit, but it was good to go in case things were worse. I already stopped taking pain meds and so long as I wear rigid shoes and don't do anything dumb it's fine.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I think there's at least two or three more.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Inkel posted:

Flash forward to current Star Citizen where even looking at a ship wrong will sometimes cause it to spontaneously explode and fly off into space at 1,000 km/s.
How was he landing anything on anything in 2012? I thought SC wasn't due to start development until 2168?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Fat Shat Sings posted:

i get that's why they troll the thread. This is one of the easier places on SA to troll due to there being so many J4Gs here. Random people who joined for the thread.

I get that, it makes sense.

But what is the end goal here? Why spend so long ironically trolling that you become the most prolific posters in the thread? Why spend tens of thousands of words on your ironic shitposting efforts repeating the same thing hundreds of times over a period of months?

is there some kind of FYAD savior that has been foretold to return to teach these guys that they have lost their way or something? I'll pay for his re-reg.

You complaining about trolls is loving hilarious

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Don't judge home interiors, just exteriors.

I'm the murder window at the bottom of the stairs.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think there's at least two or three more.

I thought you guys were just looking for the first one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605127&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Inkel posted:

It's so strange reading through these old threads. I know I have the advantage of hindsight and I've only been following Star Citizen for less than a year, but all of the red flags were there right from the start. How could anyone buy the bullshit line of "Star Citizen will have everything you've ever dreamed of! Plus we'll do it in two years with a small budget and 20-30 people!"
I don't think I'll ever understand why anyone would think a videogame could be worth paying hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars for. Even if Roberts had delivered the game as promised, how would a single ship in it be worth hundreds?

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Sunswipe posted:

I don't think I'll ever understand why anyone would think a videogame could be worth paying hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars for. Even if Roberts had delivered the game as promised, how would a single ship in it be worth hundreds?

Was just about to post this too...

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The old thread is hilarious and sad. People who I've seen post in here were dropping the same cringeworthy lines the cultists now get blasted for: "It was disposable income anyway!" "Well even if it fails I got my money's worth!" "I have faith in Chris!"

I remember reading the thread back then and being totally bewildered by the crazy and pathetic things people were saying and doing. I couldn't go on reading it for long, haha.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Many goons, because of our cynical nature, saw the writing on the wall early and sold their ships on reddit for double/triple what was paid for them.

The amount of money that moved on the grey market was insane. I know I moved $88,000 (sale price, 40,000 sticker price) worth of jpegs around in my short, little career there. The biggest guys moved orders of magnitude more than me.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/823226110150316033
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/823237378177384448
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/823237258547437568

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Megabound posted:

The amount of money that moved on the grey market was insane. I know I moved $88,000 (sale price, 40,000 sticker price) worth of jpegs around in my short, little career there. The biggest guys moved orders of magnitude more than me.

And people, just tuning in, will doubt our stories of fathers spending their children's college funds. Others losing spouses because of JPEG debt. And many, many more.

Sometimes, in this thread, I start to feel that we're hating Chris, Sandi, Ben, etc a little too much. And then I think: "They KNOW this is a sham. They know exactly what their doing." And I hate them intensely all over again.

We say it often, not to be cruel, but because it's absolutely (and horribly) true. People will commit suicide over this stupid, stupid game.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

spacetoaster posted:

And people, just tuning in, will doubt our stories of fathers spending their children's college funds. Others losing spouses because of JPEG debt. And many, many more.

Sometimes, in this thread, I start to feel that we're hating Chris, Sandi, Ben, etc a little too much. And then I think: "They KNOW this is a sham. They know exactly what their doing." And I hate them intensely all over again.

We say it often, not to be cruel, but because it's absolutely (and horribly) true. People will commit suicide over this stupid, stupid game.

I know people who are deep into SC and they're just soooooo INTO it that any rational discussion you try to start is just brick walled by typical shitizen comebacks. It's unbelievable how mentally unstable you have to be to dump thousands of dollars into this game.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Sillybones posted:

I agree with the idea this guy is saying, but I have no actual knowledge on this. How can mocap data be incompatible? Do they not keep the raw data around (because it is huge?) and so immediately process it to some target skeleton? Even if you did that, you could write a tool to re-target that skeleton to another.

Or is it unsuitable as in they have already gone in and hand-cleaned the animations so it isn't that they need to record more, but that they need to re-spend the actual major cost which is the hand-cleaning part?

Please help, I do not understand game development.
It's not incompatible.

Mocapping a few animations that end up blending into other animations is all fine and good, because its usually a brief second or two of animation that your anim team has to hand scrub anyway.

Mocapping an entire performance gets tricky. If you're not 100% confident of the take, you can have a lot of problems. You get weird wandering heads, eye darting, jiggling jowls, hands and arms and legs clipping through clothes and backgrounds and other characters and a whole lotta other weird poo poo you gotta clean up by hand. These happen no matter how good your take is anyway, but the problems get more severe the less you understand about the technology and the more you utilize it. What might look great on the screen can be very, very hard to translate into a great performance.

What you end up doing, usually, is doing small point captures of various scenes. What no one has loving done because its goddamn stupid, is record 20+ hours of mocapped data. Especially if you don't have the model dimensions down, the scenery already fleshed out. Every rewrite or change is another huge amount of time, money and energy wasted.

So in walks Chris Roberts with his directorial dreams, not understanding the following:

• for every second of footage you shoot in the mocap rigs, it can take up to a ten minutes of dev time per character to fix (sometimes more)
  • some scenes were shot with many, many characters (up to six to eight)
  • multiple clothing changes or scene changes can increase this time
  • the more characters interacting together in a scene, the more time it takes per character to animate correctly
You're talking with that 20+ hours of mocap footage alone, something like 12,000 hours of manpower at the very minimum. But wait, this only really works if these are all entirely cutscene type deals with 0 player interaction. Because then you need programmers to script the triggers for the 20+ hours of conversation you have going on.

To get that into a fully working state for 20+ hours of mocap, I'd say that's three to five years of work across art and programming teams, after the principle mocap shoot was completed. It's about fifteen times longer than your average cartoon 3d animated film AND you're trying to hit the highest fidelity ever seen in this media. That means extra work on hair, clothing, textures, shaders, everything for every single character and every single costume has to be absolutely perfect in every. single. loving. scene.

This also means any script changes or rewrites or other problems after the principle shooting has to be reshot, completely redone by the art team and then rejiggered by the programming team.

This also means that the game you're building to showcase this amazing twenty hour long opus needs to be built as well. And you're not just building a single player game, but a heavily multiplayer driven MMO style FPS action game too, with hundreds of not entirely fleshed out mechanics. And if you gently caress up and realize "poo poo, we can't get this <whatever feature> to work right, but we have an hour+ of footage important to the game that needs that feature," you need to go back and edit and reshoot and have your artists and programmers redo a bunch of work again and again and again and again and again and again

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

TheAgent posted:

It's not incompatible.

Mocapping a few animations that end up blending into other animations is all fine and good, because its usually a brief second or two of animation that your anim team has to hand scrub anyway.

Mocapping an entire performance gets tricky. If you're not 100% confident of the take, you can have a lot of problems. You get weird wandering heads, eye darting, jiggling jowls, hands and arms and legs clipping through clothes and backgrounds and other characters and a whole lotta other weird poo poo you gotta clean up by hand. These happen no matter how good your take is anyway, but the problems get more severe the less you understand about the technology and the more you utilize it. What might look great on the screen can be very, very hard to translate into a great performance.

What you end up doing, usually, is doing small point captures of various scenes. What no one has loving done because its goddamn stupid, is record 20+ hours of mocapped data. Especially if you don't have the model dimensions down, the scenery already fleshed out. Every rewrite or change is another huge amount of time, money and energy wasted.

So in walks Chris Roberts with his directorial dreams, not understanding the following:

• for every second of footage you shoot in the mocap rigs, it can take up to a ten minutes of dev time per character to fix (sometimes more)
  • some scenes were shot with many, many characters (up to six to eight)
  • multiple clothing changes or scene changes can increase this time
  • the more characters interacting together in a scene, the more time it takes per character to animate correctly
You're talking with that 20+ hours of mocap footage alone, something like 12,000 hours of manpower at the very minimum. But wait, this only really works if these are all entirely cutscene type deals with 0 player interaction. Because then you need programmers to script the triggers for the 20+ hours of conversation you have going on.

To get that into a fully working state for 20+ hours of mocap, I'd say that's three to five years of work across art and programming teams, after the principle mocap shoot was completed. It's about fifteen times longer than your average cartoon 3d animated film AND you're trying to hit the highest fidelity ever seen in this media. That means extra work on hair, clothing, textures, shaders, everything for every single character and every single costume has to be absolutely perfect in every. single. loving. scene.

This also means any script changes or rewrites or other problems after the principle shooting has to be reshot, completely redone by the art team and then rejiggered by the programming team.

This also means that the game you're building to showcase this amazing twenty hour long opus needs to be built as well. And you're not just building a single player game, but a heavily multiplayer driven MMO style FPS action game too, with hundreds of not entirely fleshed out mechanics. And if you gently caress up and realize "poo poo, we can't get this <whatever feature> to work right, but we have an hour+ of footage important to the game that needs that feature," you need to go back and edit and reshoot and have your artists and programmers redo a bunch of work again and again and again and again and again and again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRrNY0pxfM

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Senor Dog posted:

You complaining about trolls is loving hilarious

I think if you have to dig into someones post history and follow them around the forums to ineffectually mewl at them after a brutal ownage then yes, they can be said to be an authority on trolling

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Indications are that his RSI account recently disappeared. Hopefully he still has his farm. :unsmith:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Space Crabs posted:

I think if you have to dig into someones post history and follow them around the forums to ineffectually mewl at them after a brutal ownage then yes, they can be said to be an authority on trolling

What about Star Citizen and Chris Roberts?

What is your view friend, please tell.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

:unsmith:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

boviscopophobic posted:

Indications are that his RSI account recently disappeared. Hopefully he still has his farm. :unsmith:

Hopefully he didn't buy the farm.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

i mean, I like mr smart but his political posts ARE pretty cancer. ive unfollowed him on facebook solely because of them.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Suck it in Chris

Oh godamnit, how much do you pay that trainer every month?

That's it, fire her when we get back to LA, I want a new car anyways

SUCK IT THE gently caress IN

and smile, remember who paid for all this

You ungrateful little poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004