Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ogress death count: 40.

On the plus side, I remembered that I had a guardian spirit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hug her tight. Go to your left /forward under her arm into the swipe. Get ready to evade similarly (to end up behind her after her stomp.)
When she finally enrages, pop your guardian (circle+triangle) and you'll likely do just fine...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you're dying that much level up strength, use medium stance, and dodge instead of block.

edit; yeah, what he said, too ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
And lastly, if you just want that item before midnight, summon someone at a shrine. 2 people can make super short work of her.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Feenix posted:

Hug her tight. Go to your left /forward under her arm into the swipe. Get ready to evade similarly (to end up behind her after her stomp.)
When she finally enrages, pop your guardian (circle+triangle) and you'll likely do just fine...

though you can also just hug her chest while she's freaking out and she'll miss every swing

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ymmv but ogress seems incapable of hitting you with anything but the leap if you're touching her

you can just poke her in the nose and dodge away from the slam with complete impunity

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ogress death 55 was me running for my soul and then getting one-shotted.

Thanks for the tips, I figured out the hugging thing after I was there when she did the fire attack and I didn't die, also I remembered my old Bloodborne standby of dodging forward and to the side. Now it's just a matter of execution

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Is Thief worth $5?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think water talismans work on her as well btw

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think water talismans work on her as well btw

Welp this made it a lot easier. Finally did it!

Took me about six hours. Death count at around 220. Game seems good!

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

PenguinKnight posted:

im enjoying SRIV, except for one thing: i haven't been using the guns a lot, since The Touch comes up on the mixtape station and it feels so wrong to keep shooting dudes instead of suplexing and piledriving every guy in the room. same with driving, I got the infinite sprint real early so why drive when you can do that and glide?

I played 2 to death and never touched the others, this post plus the flash sale convinced me to pick up IV.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

el oso posted:

Is Thief worth $5?

Nope. It's very boiler plate "this is a big budget game" with a lot of its story/dialogue and feels like kind of a mess honestly, the best part of the game was a single DLC mission because it was based on one from Thief II and really good. The performance is kind of weird on PS4 too. I had a lot of uh, Cavia Syndrome moments where the game runs fluidly during big stuff happening but then stutters a lot while walking down a small hallway with no other enemies around or anything. Sound carries weirdly in it too unintentionally at points like you'll hear the voice of someone in a room talking to someone from like outside and three floors down from the building their in. It's just all around unpolished. I'd just get the first three off Steam/GOG instead which are all real good.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
When do the RE7 reviews drop?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Death count up to 150+. I burned all my consumables fighting that bird thing and then still died, I feel defeated

Bird thing is really really tough, like no joke. gently caress those guys. If you made it up to him you're pretty much done, as far as the beta is concerned you did pretty well in a short amount of time. With the full game you'd be able to take you time and level up more and punk that birdman like no big deal.

Don't give up skeleton!

Manatee Cannon posted:

remember that you can summon help (tho I've never tried so idk how it works exactly)

There's two different ways to co-op in Nioh which is really neat. You can do it exactly like dark souls, but you can also choose to just co-op through a mission as a team where you can resurrect each other if you die and stuff. It changes the rules to how shrines work and things, but once you get used to it, its great. But if you don't like that you can do it exactly like souls too, just summoning people to help you at a shrine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Beat the Ogress, not sure if I have what it takes to beat the side missions before midnight.

Well, hope I don't miss anything too good.

The side mission is just one optional boss fight, that's it. Its just an arena with a boss. Then the other thing was, you can play the first level again on 'twilight' difficulty. It changes all the monster spawns and moves the key around, but otherwise its the same level (with different, more badass lighting) so you didn't really miss too much.

The first two betas had different levels and bosses, and they actually had 2 proper levels. This one was a bit shorter, but oh well. Game's almost out!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Welp this made it a lot easier. Finally did it!

Took me about six hours. Death count at around 220. Game seems good!

:yeah:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Megasabin posted:

Not sure. But between reviewer reports and leaked copies I think we are in the clear. People seem to think it's really good.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Is the full game of Nioh going to have an easy mode or something because I might enjoy it but I died 2000 times playing the demo alone and i don't have the stomach to play through a death simulator

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wandle Cax posted:

Is the full game of Nioh going to have an easy mode or something because I might enjoy it but I died 2000 times playing the demo alone and i don't have the stomach to play through a death simulator

easy mode is grinding levels for the first couple days you own it and summoning help

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What level did people beat the demo at, I think I was at 10 or 11?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I finished the Alpha a while back and downloaded the "last chance demo" or whatever and only had time to play for 10 minutes. Seemed like it's had some polish since the original demo so that good but I didn't get much of a grasp on it. How would you guys rank the difficulty vs Dark Souls? I love DS but I think it's pretty much my threshold for difficulty. All these reports of people dying 500 times in the demo make it sound like banging your head against a wall.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its harder than dark souls because you are fragile but you can break the game in a bunch of ways to make up for it. really its only as hard as what you don't know about the levels and the bosses attacks so its in the same boat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What level did people beat the demo at, I think I was at 10 or 11?

i only leveled up like 4 or 5 levels. after the last beta's tough levels and bosses the level 5 rating of this demo was pretty simple. i died once to bird dude and once to ogress and thats it so i never worried about leveling.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 23, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I was level 12 when I finished, died about 6 times to Ogress.

On the other hand, I died around 30 times to the very first enemies when I was trying figure out the control, so....

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I killed Ogress at level 11 but sunmoned help before fighting her. My visitor died during the last part of the fight though.

At that point I could handle the normal enemies pretty easily. However, you are a glass cannon and if you mess up most enemies can kill you in seconds, especially if they hit you from behind.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 23, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well I tried fighting the boss in the other level. I have already died 20 times. His combos are so long that I cannot dodge them or if I try to block them my Ki is tanked and then he grapples me. Also his sword seems twice as long as mine

Also I try to do the sheathed attack like he does which instantly kills me, except when I try to do it half the time I'm standing around like a dumbass not charging up

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 23, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Yeah the duel seemed impossible to me at level 11. I didn't get a good look - is there a parry/reposte ability?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Yeah the duel seemed impossible to me at level 11. I didn't get a good look - is there a parry/reposte ability?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TKUyWLRQn4&t=175s

More seriously, most (all?) of the weapons have a parry ability you can get, usually with some followup attacks you can also do.

Muneshige is perfectly doable right after beating the first stage, and honestly grinding is unlikely to help you as he will do stupid amounts of damage regardless of how high leveled you are. Leveling also won't increase your damage output much since the main reason you'd lack for damage versus him is him blocking or dodging which completely negates damage. Muneshige plays near perfectly and it's pretty much just a matter of learning when you can push him and create windows for you to deal damage.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It looks like there is an ability in the sword tree that is a parry. But I don't think I'm going to grind for souls to do this. The only times I have been able to do anything to him is to drain his stamina and then grapple him, which from the damage it does I only have to do 25 times. Seems reasonable.

Also half the time he is somehow still blocking with zero stamina?!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also half the time he is somehow still blocking with zero stamina?!

I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually. His ki regenerates quickly enough that he'll regain enough to block if you wait more than half a second between reducing his ki to zero and hitting him again to actually make him exhausted.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Real hurthling! posted:

Pro had some launch troubles with certain games. Devs make mistakes. Patches have been coming out to clear things up.

Well, that's good to hear. I wasn't sure about picking up the Pro, but if the issues are getting patched out, that makes me feel better.

Real hurthling! posted:

Some games are cross buy like journey. Most aren't.

Is there a list of titles that are cross-platform purchases?
EDIT: Never mind, found it.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 23, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Oh didn't realize Lara Croft and temple of Osiris was on the $5 deal I think it's worth picking up if you have someone to play with

I can only assume the matchmaking is normally dead but active now?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Maybe this is just beyond my reflexes and hand-eye coordination, I have seen him do his sheathed attack 100 times at this point and I still can only avoid it like 1 time out of 10, and if he lands it once i'm basically dead.

For people who have beaten Bloodborne, is Nioh comparable in difficulty or harder or easier? I mean, I beat Bloodborne

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well, gently caress. I died 119 times to the swordsman. I was able to string together a few good sequences against him and I actually got him down to 60%... and then the demo shut down. I don't think I've ever felt as bad playing a game as I did just now :negative:

I don't know whether this has turned me off to it completely or now I need to play the full game to get my satisfaction

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Megasabin posted:

Supposed to be today

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
This is too little too late, but maybe switching your Guardian Spirit could have helped against Muneshige. Most people stick to the starting one but the other have some relevant buffs I feel.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wandle Cax posted:

No but the stage in the demo is like difficulty rating 5 and you start at level 1 so I assume in the full game there's going to be some easier stages to start off with? How much easier they are is anyone's guess.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I was level 12 when I finished, died about 6 times to Ogress.

On the other hand, I died around 30 times to the very first enemies when I was trying figure out the control, so....

This is the normal way of things. Those two guys you run into after the first one are the big "ok you gotta figure out some basics to this game if you want to get past" moment.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe this is just beyond my reflexes and hand-eye coordination, I have seen him do his sheathed attack 100 times at this point and I still can only avoid it like 1 time out of 10, and if he lands it once i'm basically dead.

For people who have beaten Bloodborne, is Nioh comparable in difficulty or harder or easier? I mean, I beat Bloodborne

it's hard to say how the games compare in difficulty for me because I'm so used to souls games at this point that small changes gently caress with me bigger than they would most people. like I thought bloodborne felt harder than the other games at first just because it played differently and I got punished for doing things that would work in dark souls, for example. same deal with nioh where it's similar but different enough that you can outplay yourself by trying to do something that would work in the other games

that being said, imo the optional boss is harder than his equivalent hunter enemies in bloodborne. ogress isn't very hard but the mechanics tripped me up a few times (first time I fought her I had her at a sliver of health when she did the flower thing and I didn't notice so I ran out of stamina and died). I died to her more than I have, say, cleric beast or amelia, but I'd say that mechanically she's probably a much easier boss since you can just hug her and become invincible

e: I think nioh's deeper combat mechanics makes it a lot easier to trip over yourself before you figure things out than it is in bloobdorne

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 23, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I finally cleared my Christmas backlog so I get to try some more niche stuff, read I'm now clearing my PS Plus backlog starting with the Path of Destinies fox thing. Actually quite enjoy it, the gameplay seems like it might get a bit shallow in the long term but the gimmick is pretty good and you can knock out a story variation in a brief session. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong though, because a review I read had the reviewer mention how he'd played for 3-4 hours and finally unlocked the first truth, and I've so far played two variations and unlocked one each time.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Pingiivi posted:

I tried the Nioh demo and remembered that I just do not like the souls type games at all. Then I summoned help and some Japanese dude joined in and KILLED EVERYTHING. I just ran behind him and collected the drops.
Honestly this is probably the future of gaming.

Americans feeling less stimulated than they ideally want to be, so they purchase a piece of Japanese software that allows Korean dudes to assist you in winning the game through Micro-transactions. It's like paying someone to point out what's referenced, clever, or interesting, about a movie or art exhibit.

Like, it's scary, that probably is the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What