Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Snowy posted:

The Dunwich modded hm2 is 220, the Lone Wolf Left Hand Wrath is 250. They look like fun, I guess. A little variety would be cool but I've had my hm-2 since 91-92 and never felt like it was lacking anything.

Weird!

Sometimes I think about getting the byoc Swede which is just an HM-2 clone and would come in at like $80 but then I figure it's still too much money for idle curiosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Instead of 1 to 10, do the knobs only go from 14 to 88?

Never go full 88.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

unlawfulsoup posted:

Never go full 88.

What if you want to see some serious poo poo?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

Weird!

Sometimes I think about getting the byoc Swede which is just an HM-2 clone and would come in at like $80 but then I figure it's still too much money for idle curiosity.

the hm-2 on all 10 sounds exactly like you'd expect but you need to run it into a lovely solid state peavey to get the full sunlight studios effect

e: behringer still makes their hm-2 clone. it's pretty much the same except you need to back the mid knob off a hair

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 20, 2017

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Gringostar posted:

What if you want to see some serious poo poo?

Say no to nazi pedals.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Muppets On PCP posted:

you need to run it into a lovely solid state peavey to get the full sunlight studios effect

Is there a clone that makes everything sound like Nihilist demos because I'll buy that. Or should I just get another hm2 and run them into each other like a HMan Cen2pede.

Nobody steal that

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Snowy posted:

Is there a clone that makes everything sound like Nihilist demos because I'll buy that. Or should I just get another hm2 and run them into each other like a HMan Cen2pede.

Nobody steal that

make sure you have a noise suppressor in there someplace too

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

i don't think the cock pedal is getting enough attention

kjetting posted:

One thing led to another, we were shooting some ideas back and forth, I made a stupid pun about that it should be called a "makeherscreamer" and said that it should have a drawing of a giant erect penis all across the front. He came up with the idea to have said penis glow in the dark.

Needless to say, this is an :nws: pedal.
http://imgur.com/a/XxmrT

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I didn't even know anyone aside from behringer made HM2 clones. Since people said the build quality on them were poo poo so I got an old japanese one on ebay (complete with it requiring a 12v adapter that I don't use and just plug in a 9v source) and it sounds like a loving beast when played through my old JCM800. It's a one trick pony but that trick is a drat bronco.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Frankly if anyone of note used a thing and it's not still in production, there will be clones. And if it is still in production, then there will be numerous clones anyway that claim to be more period correct.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shugojin posted:

Frankly if anyone of note used a thing and it's not still in production, there will be clones. And if it is still in production, then there will be numerous clones anyway that claim to be more period correct.

That's weird to think Entombed were someone of note in the guitar community but welp.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it wasn't really entombed but the wave of npr and pitchfork-approved hardcore bands from the mid/late-2000s that caused it

you could still easily find hm-2s for like $30-40 on ebay right up until about 7-8 years ago

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 20, 2017

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Snowy posted:

Is there a good reason besides Stupid Music poo poo why people pay twice as much for an HM-2 clone than they would for a Japanese original?

it wasn't really entombed but the wave of npr and pitchfork-approved hardcore bands from the mid/late-2000s that caused it

you could still easily find hm-2s for like $30-40 on ebay right up until about 7-8 years ago

retro hm2 death metal was a thing between 2008-2012 or so and then the hardcore kids took over after that with all the nails/magrudergrind ripoffs.

I've played around with a LHW but ended up selling it because it didn't really capture the over-the-topness of the original MIJs, it was a little too controlled. Also the guy that makes them is a douche.

Then again I'm the kind of loser who already owns 3 MIJs and has A/Bd them to find the best sounding one so I belong in this thread

---------------

The sevenstring.org luthiery subforum has some very cool stuff in it but also

Invader in the bridge, warpig in the neck :doh:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Concatenation posted:

Then again I'm the kind of loser who already owns 3 MIJs and has A/Bd them to find the best sounding one so I belong in this thread

I got mine in the early 90s and it's made in Taiwan (I think, haven't looked in a long time and I don't have it here). Since you've obviously looked into this, can you say if there's a difference between Taiwan and MIJ HM2s? Against my better judgement I'm tempted to buy a MIJ even though logic tells me not to.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
There are definitely people that say there's no difference, but having tried an MIT myself it's definitely not a patch on the MIJ. Something about the slightly scoopy sound of the upper mids is just lacking in the MIT. I've no idea if that makes any sense.

Also the MIJ will keep its value if you decide to sell it.

edit: I should point out that I compared them both through a Marshall AVT275 which is a hatefully bad amplifier and this was about 6 years ago so my opinion may or may not be accurate

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Looks like if that Wishbass guy made bottle openers.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Kenny G's son is really good at guitar

http://www.toiletovhell.com/max-gorelick-son-of-kenny-g-takes-up-the-mantle/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-mJIZk8BTY

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i'd rather listen to his dad's music

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Their band picture looks like Cartman's christian rock band.

But yeah it's not my kind of thing other than from a "wow that's some technical skill" because although the solos are fast there's just no agency to the songs, but then again I only like two types of riffs and they're both blast beats.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

some parts of this sound really good, other parts are just like "congrats u played a scale"

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Eh, as far as wanking goes it's pretty tolerable - I certainly wouldn't go this far:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I wanna hear them both on the same track.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Just had this forwarded to me with following caption;

"Customer tried to solder using a small propane torch"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
well I mean that is how you solder stuff* together.

*copper pipes

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

White Dog Eggs posted:

I get that there are a lot of guitarists out there that know almost nothing about how their instrument goes together, how soldering works, how pickups are installed, whatever, but just on the basic basis of everyday thermodynamics, how the hell does someone look at a torch, a control cavity, a bunch of wire, plastic, and rubber, and come to the idea that somehow, someway, that much heat will go well with those things. This person is out there, and this person probably operates a stove, and drives a car.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Guitar electronics soldering tip #55: throw your loving guitar in an oven, burn down the house, open a hell portal

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that's an impressive level of stupidity

FlowerOfInfinity
May 10, 2009

Hello Stupid Music poo poo thread! This is my first contribution please be gentle.

I know you love your surfboard guitars but what about...

The lap steel surfboard guitar? Eh?

Yours for only £139!!!!!

(So would)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah sorry I would play the poo poo out of that and love every second of it

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

That thing is unironically perfect.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that lap steel is pretty cool, but not nearly as cool as slapping a photo of the bathroom countertop your wife picked out at home depot on your les paul

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-LPCSR-MACH1-LIST

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Agrinja posted:

I get that there are a lot of guitarists out there that know almost nothing about how their instrument goes together, how soldering works, how pickups are installed, whatever, but just on the basic basis of everyday thermodynamics, how the hell does someone look at a torch, a control cavity, a bunch of wire, plastic, and rubber, and come to the idea that somehow, someway, that much heat will go well with those things. This person is out there, and this person probably operates a stove, and drives a car.

I walked into the back of our shop area, where we have some benches and setup for light equipment repair. Scientific equipment, not music.

I see three guys huddled around a bench, struggling to light a portable butane torch, to solder a battery connector to an $8k antenna. Mechanical engineering degree, geology degree, and MS physics.

These people are everywhere.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

White Dog Eggs posted:

Jeez, NSFW tag that poo poo.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Here's the pedal steel we use in the band, it's an angry old bastard of a thing that needs wrenches to tune it up but it makes a marvellous sound when the stars align

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Put a Mastery bridge on my Jazzmaster finally and now I know just how truly terrible the original design was.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

fyodor posted:

Put a Mastery bridge on my Jazzmaster finally and now I know just how truly terrible the original design was.

I went with the cheaper mustang bridge option. How big of a difference would the mastery bridge be?

The mustang bridge fixed my biggest issues (buzzing and strings popping out if I looked at them wrong).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

that lap steel is pretty cool, but not nearly as cool as slapping a photo of the bathroom countertop your wife picked out at home depot on your les paul

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-LPCSR-MACH1-LIST

TONE STONE

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

that's an impressive level of stupidity

May I direct your attention to the following?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDJibf8uZnQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Shugojin posted:

TONE STONE

Someone is on the ground floor for the next big thing.

• Locked thread