Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

pinacotheca posted:

Have to disagree, I had an A500+ back in the day and the compatibility with games written specifically for the A500 was very hit or miss. Even better, Commodore said nothing about potential incompatibilities around the launch of the 500+ and there were no lists available of which games would work and which wouldn't, leading to much traipsing back and forth from game shops trying to explain to hapless staff why the game worked on their A500 but not my A500+ and could I swap it for something else please. The 600 is basically a 500+ with the numpad removed and a couple of extra hardware connectors added on so has the same issue.

The problem was fixed to a certain extent after the Relokick disk was released, which takes the 500+/600 back to 1.3 Kickstart, but I seem to remember that even then there were a few games which still wouldn't work.

Yeah from what I understand (I've never had a 500+ or 600) the relokick boot disk fixes nearly every game worth playing, but yes it's better to get a regular A500 and avoid all that bullshit. If all you can get is a 500+/600 it's not the end of the world though

d0s fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Did RGB or HDMI famicom modding ever get easier or cheaper? My twin famicom just collects dust since I got rid of my PWM.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Heran Bago posted:

Did RGB or HDMI famicom modding ever get easier or cheaper? My twin famicom just collects dust since I got rid of my PWM.

Nope and nope. Both mods still require desoldering of the PPU (plus the CPU for the HDMI mod) and the boards haven't quite changed price since their release.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Apologies for quoting from so long ago

Ofecks posted:

Just saw this on my YT subscription page, I don't really like playing fighting games but tourneys are fun to watch. They'll probably stream it somewhere and put it on YT afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9ettmr9Ezo

The page to sign up for this tournament doesn't call it your gamertag or username, it's called your ring name. This loving owns and I'm going to call them that from now on

Caitlin posted:

there are :

two brawlers on the Super Famicom. they're both quite solid. one brawler on the Mega Drive, it's okay. arcade is good.

two fighting games on the Super Famicom. both are fun, but the Super S one is better.

one fighting game on the 3DO that is better than you think it is. one each on the Saturn and Playstation, it is not good.

The Super S one actually has a really poverty kusoge tournament scene in Japan. The game is loving busted. Sailor Jupiter can cancel her SPD into itself forever. She has a grab infinite. Sailor Venus is the scrub killer. Her zoning is really strong, but you can approach her if you know what you're doing

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Heran Bago posted:

It's slightly easier in that my first modded RGB NES required you to wire up some circuit board to even be able to use the Playchoice 10 PPU, and if you had a Top Gun or other PPU you had to wire everything completely differently and no one really ever released schematics for the re-wiring at the time. NES RGB PPUs were going for over $200 at one point. It didn't include the amp, rewiring, or the console itself obviously. Plus the need to figure out what kind of connector you would use.

Now the kits include all of that, making it a lot easier. And since scarce PC-10 PPUs are no longer needed, it's definitely cheaper.

But in both categories, it's still a pretty difficult mod, and not exactly cheap.

Honestly the hardest part was removing the NES' PPU. It took me like 3 hours and I was convinced I was going to break it. 3 of the pins were near impossible to desolder. I never want to have to do it again.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks guys. I'm kind of surprised China hasn't put clones of the board on Ali express. I'm considering the RetroUSB AVS, but it's still a clone system and I would need a FDS to play the discs. All things considered, a Framemeister is a higher priority for other systems, and NES emulation is trivial.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Unless if you're playing FDS specific games, grabbing (ha) an NES Mini + ROMs seems like the most hassle free way to get an HDMI out NES.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Heran Bago posted:

Thanks guys. I'm kind of surprised China hasn't put clones of the board on Ali express. I'm considering the RetroUSB AVS, but it's still a clone system and I would need a FDS to play the discs. All things considered, a Framemeister is a higher priority for other systems, and NES emulation is trivial.

From what I hear, the RetroUSB AVS is FPGA, which is supposed to be way better than all the other clone NES systems out there (which are just NES-on-a-chip styles).

From what I have read, there's virtually no compatibility differences between a real NES and the RetroUSB AVS. Even fan hacks and Mr. Gimmick reproductions seem to work just fine. I have no idea if sound is perfect on it though.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

From what I hear, the RetroUSB AVS is FPGA, which is supposed to be way better than all the other clone NES systems out there (which are just NES-on-a-chip styles).

From what I have read, there's virtually no compatibility differences between a real NES and the RetroUSB AVS. Even fan hacks and Mr. Gimmick reproductions seem to work just fine. I have no idea if sound is perfect on it though.

Gamesack just did a pretty good review video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocOjD15PziA

In other news the PVM gods have smiled upon me and I now find myself with a pair of extra 14"ers. If anyone is looking for one in the SF bay area let me know.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

It's not just that it's an FPGA, it's that an FPGA programmed by a guy who really knows what he's doing. In the end it's just another NES-on-a-chip, but it's an extremely well implemented NES-on-a-chip unlike most of the cheap clones out there.

And realistically there was nothing stopping other NOAC makers from doing something of such high quality before, to make near perfect clone consoles. It's just that developing better chips was going to eat into their profit margin versus continuing to use the same 85% there design that some guy in Hong Kong cooked up in 1995.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

It's not just that it's an FPGA, it's that an FPGA programmed by a guy who really knows what he's doing. In the end it's just another NES-on-a-chip, but it's an extremely well implemented NES-on-a-chip unlike most of the cheap clones out there.

And realistically there was nothing stopping other NOAC makers from doing something of such high quality before, to make near perfect clone consoles. It's just that developing better chips was going to eat into their profit margin versus continuing to use the same 85% there design that some guy in Hong Kong cooked up in 1995.

That's cool.

I really do wonder how close it is to a real NES, though. I do like some ridiculously specific gameplay comparisons if anyone ever does one.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Monitor Burn posted:

Make sure when you get the cable that it is wired so that the signal goes from BNC-SCART and not the other way around. I've tried using a SCART-BNC adapter in reverse and it doesn't work.
Curious what issues you had with this before? I got my cable but I appear to have sync issues. Only had a minute to plug it in so haven't tested much other than two sources (Genesis + Duo) to attempt to confirm that its not the console's fault:

This is my wiring:

It seems like it could be the fault of anyhting between the AV switch and TV I guess? (switch -> new rgb cable ->component converter)

Edit the Switchbox has a "VD" vertical sync too, hopefully that's not reqiured? http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/sony-pc1270.pdf

falz fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 23, 2017

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My Framemeister arrives tomorrow. What a time to be alive.

Phone posted:

Unless if you're playing FDS specific games, grabbing (ha) an NES Mini + ROMs seems like the most hassle free way to get an HDMI out NES.
Apparently it's possible to add FDS roms to the NES Mini. I haven't fully explored it yet but it's supposedly doable.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 24, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yay my N64 Everdrive came in today. So much nicer then that bootleg one I had (surprise I got to return that). Is there a path to put the auto patches for the AA removal? Think it might be working since I noticed Mario Kart 64 is showing the same removal look that I seen with the Gameshark codes. Will be a lot nicer when I mail it out tomorrow to Monitorburn so I can get the N64 RGB modded with the deblur chip.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

That's cool.

I really do wonder how close it is to a real NES, though. I do like some ridiculously specific gameplay comparisons if anyone ever does one.

This is as close as I've seen. Jeremy Parish shows off a number of game specific glitches, but not in any real detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLp8dZoZVHA

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Once they get a wide release, probably the AVS is a better option for playing NES games than a real NES. It's probably also cheaper than getting a NES front loader modded to work and have RGB/HDMI out and absolutely cheaper than a toploader with an RGB/HDMI mod.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

shyduck posted:

Apparently it's possible to add FDS roms to the NES Mini. I haven't fully explored it yet but it's supposedly doable.

The Japanese Famicom Mini runs FDS games so it's not surprising. It's kind of weird to think about because for such a short-lived add-on, a ton of Famicom "classics" were exclusively released there; Metroid, Castlevania 2, both Zeldas (the first eventually got a cart release), Kid Icarus...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

The Japanese Famicom Mini runs FDS games so it's not surprising. It's kind of weird to think about because for such a short-lived add-on, a ton of Famicom "classics" were exclusively released there; Metroid, Castlevania 2, both Zeldas (the first eventually got a cart release), Kid Icarus...

Castlevania 1 is another originally on FDS and got an extremely late cart release.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Kea posted:

Sounds like you need http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/ which im fairly certain is goon written. Though of course this is to work with dosbox so if you want to play a different version you are likely out of luck.

looks interesting, never heard about it. probably based around keystrokes? will check it out.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Ok, I've got my genesis, directv box, and raspberry pi hooked up to my new CRT and got everything working alright. Each device is hooked up to the tv via composite cable. I'm getting some interference (purple horizontal noise lines that slowly scroll up the screen) when I'm playing the genesis. I tried moving things around to see if it was the raspberry pi's Bluetooth causing it and discovered that if I unplug the pi's composite cable from the tv the interference goes away. I'm not good with all of this analog stuff.

Is there anything I can do aside from unplug the pi when I'm playing games?

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 25, 2017

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

falz posted:

Curious what issues you had with this before? I got my cable but I appear to have sync issues. Only had a minute to plug it in so haven't tested much other than two sources (Genesis + Duo) to attempt to confirm that its not the console's fault:

This is my wiring:

It seems like it could be the fault of anyhting between the AV switch and TV I guess? (switch -> new rgb cable ->component converter)

Edit the Switchbox has a "VD" vertical sync too, hopefully that's not reqiured? http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/sony-pc1270.pdf

I'm guessing that the sync signal isn't being delivered on the right pin for the SCART-Component adapter. The console works fine connected directly to the converter I'm guessing? Also is there a sync stripper in any of the SCART cables? Those can cause sync problems with some adapters.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

GutBomb posted:

Ok, I've got my genesis, directv box, and raspberry pi hooked up to my new CRT and got everything working alright. Each device is hooked up to the tv via composite cable. I'm getting some interference (purple horizontal noise lines that slowly scroll up the screen) when I'm playing the genesis. I tried moving things around to see if it was the raspberry pi's Bluetooth causing it and discovered that if I unplug the pi's composite cable from the tv the interference goes away. I'm not good with all of this analog stuff.

Is there anything I can do aside from unplug the pi when I'm playing games?

Have you tried a different composite cable with the Raspberry Pi, or a different AV cable on your Genesis? I'd be willing to bank on the latter actually being the issue, if it's some cheap third party one made without much regard to shielding and grounding and avoiding crosstalk.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
99% it's the power supply for the pi.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are the Robert Broglia emulators still the best bet on android? Or has something overtaken them?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Monitor Burn posted:

I'm guessing that the sync signal isn't being delivered on the right pin for the SCART-Component adapter. The console works fine connected directly to the converter I'm guessing? Also is there a sync stripper in any of the SCART cables? Those can cause sync problems with some adapters.
Yes all consoles work fine when direct from their SCART cables to SCART->Component adapter (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XSSDPO/). I was unable to find specs on said adapter but one would assume it needs csync to function?

As for sync stripper in my cables- I don't think so. I have 3- genesis from here http://www.ebay.com/itm/261903498708 and it doesn't say. My Duo and SNES ones came from you, so whatever normal cables you have. I have not yet tested the SNES cable through the switcher, but Genesis and Duo have sync issues so I'm jumping to a conclusion that it would too.

While on Duo topic, could you point me to which mod type you did or what the pinout is of the AV connector that was added? Just want to self-document.

Edit: Tested SNES SCART cable as well, same issue. Perhaps I could do a continuity test on the SCART->BNC cable I bought to see if the SYNC pin on those cables (pin 20?) jives with the sync BNC connector or something. Otherwise, are there any ohmeter tests to figure out anything further without having an oscope?

falz fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 25, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

99% it's the power supply for the pi.

Bingo. I had another one lying around and plugged it in and the noise is gone. This one has a ferrite core on it and the other one didn't. Probably makes all the difference.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A new version of MAME has been released, adding a new cross-platform low-latency audio solution, support for linked Race Drivin' cabinets over TCP, as well as support for 36 new titles. Some of these are of course the usual clones and promotions from "not working" to "working", but there's some actual interesting new things in there - Tatakae! Big Fighter and Sky Robo by Nichibutsu are now playable, as well as the recently-dumped HOT-B prototype Hangzo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHI0oak1Tas

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
"As we approach the 20th anniversary of the first MAME release"

"MAME 0.182"

:lol:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Just move that decimal 2 to the right

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Lo, but if only they could somehow get Space Lords to work. Then, truly then, might it be worthwhile to get cross-connections going.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ahh higan, the most accurate SNES emulator ever. Also a passable NES emulator and bad GBA emulator.

"byuu.org posted:

higan is a multi-system emulator that began development on 2004-10-14. It currently supports the following systems:

Nintendo Famicom
Nintendo Super Famicom
Super Game Boy
BS-X Satellaview
Sufami Turbo
Nintendo Game Boy
Nintendo Game Boy Color
Nintendo Game Boy Advance
Sega Master System
Sega Game Gear
Sega Mega Drive
NEC PC Engine
NEC SuperGrafx
Bandai WonderSwan
Bandai WonderSwan Color
Wait what?

"byuu.org posted:

This release adds very preliminary emulation of the Sega Master System (Mark III), Sega Game Gear, Sega Mega Drive (Genesis), and NEC PC Engine (Turbografx-16). These cores do not yet offer sound emulation, save states or cheat codes.

I'm always very hesitant to release a new emulation core in its alpha stages, as in the past this has resulted in lasting bad impressions of cores that have since improved greatly. For instance, the Game Boy Advance emulation offered today is easily the second most accurate around, yet it is still widely judged by its much older alpha implementation.

However, it's always been tradition with higan to not hold onto code in secret. Rather than delay future releases for another year or two, I'll put my faith in you all to understand that the emulation of these systems will improve over time.

I hope that by releasing things as they are now, I might be able to receive some much needed assistance in improving these cores, as the documentation for these new systems is very much less than ideal.

Also, please note that starting with this release, I am omitting the settings.bml file. This means that you will have to manually configure your gamepad input assignments, and select the appropriate devices from the system menu after loading games. You may also want to select a more conservative driver profile than the default (OpenGL, WASAPI.) If they cause you any troubles, a safer bet would be (Direct3D, DirectSound.)

The good news in omitting this file is that you'll only have to configure inputs once, and you won't lose any customizations by upgrading to future releases.
He's not taking the libretro approach but is coding all these low level emulator cores himself!? I don't expect much at this point, but any word on how they hold up?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Heran Bago posted:

He's not taking the libretro approach but is coding all these low level emulator cores himself!?

Here's the thing about byuu: he's insane.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I like byuu. He's very nice and also kinda insane with the coding but in a way I respect. :toot:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Caitlin posted:

I like byuu. He's very nice and also kinda insane with the coding but in a way I respect. :toot:

Don't get me wrong. It wasn't meant to be pejorative :v:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
From what I understand, despite all of the other supported systems, the only one really worth anything is still the SNES one and better emulator can be found for everything else. I know I've heard the Wonderswan portion being specifically called out as bad.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Heran Bago posted:

He's not taking the libretro approach but is coding all these low level emulator cores himself!?

Why would he use random other people's emulators? The other emulators already exist for people that don't want to use his stuff, and it's not like he's expanding into 500 systems all at once.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

While we're on emulator chat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Are the Robert Broglia emulators still the best bet on android? Or has something overtaken them?

Anyone?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

fishmech posted:

Why would he use random other people's emulators? The other emulators already exist for people that don't want to use his stuff, and it's not like he's expanding into 500 systems all at once.

And too be fair emulating the Sega systems is a lot easier and less involved than emulating the Nintendo ones. The Sega stuff was made with a lot of non-custom chips and the stuff tailor made for it was a lot closer to actual retail hardware that's been extremely well documented.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

While we're on emulator chat

Anyone?

There's always trying RetroArch, where the various emulator cores may be more up to date. But then you have to deal with retroarch's dumpster fire interface to get everything set up, so it might not be worth it.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

And too be fair emulating the Sega systems is a lot easier and less involved than emulating the Nintendo ones. The Sega stuff was made with a lot of non-custom chips and the stuff tailor made for it was a lot closer to actual retail hardware that's been extremely well documented.

It's especially easier for the three he chose for his release there: the Game Gear is of course a slightly modified Master System, while the Master System's hardware makes up a large part of the Genesis' own hardware (after all, that's why the Power Base Convertor is just a cartridge passthrough).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

The Kins posted:

A new version of MAME has been released, adding a new cross-platform low-latency audio solution, support for linked Race Drivin' cabinets over TCP, as well as support for 36 new titles. Some of these are of course the usual clones and promotions from "not working" to "working", but there's some actual interesting new things in there - Tatakae! Big Fighter and Sky Robo by Nichibutsu are now playable, as well as the recently-dumped HOT-B prototype Hangzo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHI0oak1Tas

To add to this, if anyone uses MAME as a desktop app rather than with a fancy fullscreen launcher (for a cab or living room etc), check out ARCADE. It's by far the best fork of MameUI I've seen since Mameui has gotten crazy with the MESS stuff and software lists and all that, this strips it down to only arcade games again, and adds a bunch of game related tweaks. Getting MAME up and running with this couldn't be easier: install it, grab your full 0.182 set of ROMs you dumped yourself from your personal collection of every arcade game ever and drop it in the roms folder, open it and run the audit. There's really something to be said for having a database of literally everything at your fingertips like this, and there are powerful abilities to sort by developer, BIOS, year, etc.

My setup (highlighting my sole dumping contribution to the MAME) :

EDIT: Forgot to mention that a few days after a new MAME release hacked versions of the various frontends including ARCADE with the "nag screens" removed appear here. It's a spanish website but easy to figure out.

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 25, 2017

• Locked thread