Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
What did we learn? Walking Ballista + Verduous Gearhulk is the best two-card combo in standard. (Yes, better than Cat Lady.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

What did we learn? Walking Ballista + Verduous Gearhulk is the best two-card combo in standard. (Yes, better than Cat Lady.)

Ban Ballista, clearly.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Non-foil Ballistas are all gone on Ebay. Either sold or being relisted.

TCGPlayer sitting around $14 now.

Wait, some 4x Ballistas just reappeared on Ebay at $55.

I momentarily believed this was a Mythic, but no. People are just being crazy.

Major Operation fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 23, 2017

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I won't have time to fully rebuild my GR energy deck before the next FNM, what are some good upgrades for it from AER if anyone is still running it?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Apropos of nothing, the weekly article roundup on CFB reminded me to wonder what Conley Woods is doing these days, so I went and checked out his twitter.

:holymoley:

Dude's looking a lot better. How much better you think he looks depends on what you think of the hair, I suppose, but there's no denying he's lost a ton of weight.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
4-0'd a ten man draft pod with r/w splashing an unlicensed disintegration and got this in the packs.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
Looks like I called it with Walking Ballista.

So the real question is it playable in Shops in Vintage?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
25 Saheeli decks in the top 64.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

anglachel posted:

Looks like I called it with Walking Ballista.

So the real question is it playable in Shops in Vintage?

I'd much rather have the flexibility of the Ballista's casting cost over the extra 1/1 of Trisk. Multiple times during VSL we've seen Shops decks get stuck on 5 mana, or have Spheres over Thorns and need to draw mana to cast their threat. Being able to cast the card for four mana and dump Ravager counters onto it rather than have an uncastable card in hand seems strong. Also, just playing a two or four mana Ballista and killing something seems pretty nice and relevant!

Sickening posted:

Pwew I'm glad that Copy Cat isn't too good, there were almost no copies in the top 64.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
But can it see play as a one-of in Affinity?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

myDad posted:

But can it see play as a one-of in Affinity?

If they unban the artifact lands, probably.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Hellsau posted:

If they unban the artifact lands, probably.

Lol

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

JerryLee posted:

Apropos of nothing, the weekly article roundup on CFB reminded me to wonder what Conley Woods is doing these days, so I went and checked out his twitter.

:holymoley:

Dude's looking a lot better. How much better you think he looks depends on what you think of the hair, I suppose, but there's no denying he's lost a ton of weight.

he met a girl and danced all the weight off to skrillex lmao, gfh though

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Cool a single gr energy deck in the 64 :(

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Of all the lovely cards I pre-ordered I missed Ballista, because it hit 2 dollars.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

TwistedNails posted:

I won't have time to fully rebuild my GR energy deck before the next FNM, what are some good upgrades for it from AER if anyone is still running it?

Invigorated Rampage seems quite strong in testing to me. Highspire Infusion, on the other hand, has been lackluster. Upside is both can be found in draft leavings.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

ShaneB posted:

Cool a single gr energy deck in the 64 :(

How good is that deck going to be if everyone's already gearing up to beat an on-the-board combo? Most of the stuff people play to beat Copy-Cat also beats the Pummeler decks outside of the hydra.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sickening posted:

Is this better or worse than Marvel decks 1 month ago?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

Is this better or worse than Marvel decks 1 month ago?

This is just week 1 of a standard environment. If it's still putting up 25 out of the top 64 we're looking past Marvel and more at 'more oppressive than Mono Black Devotion'. Fortunately there'll be some sweet tech at the Pro Tour, or it'll take six slots of the top eight and everyone will know it's getting banned five weeks later, which will create a weird limbo format where no one wants to invest into the deck that's assuredly going to be banned, like what happened with Eldrazi.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Hellsau posted:

This is just week 1 of a standard environment. If it's still putting up 25 out of the top 64 we're looking past Marvel and more at 'more oppressive than Mono Black Devotion'. Fortunately there'll be some sweet tech at the Pro Tour, or it'll take six slots of the top eight and everyone will know it's getting banned five weeks later, which will create a weird limbo format where no one wants to invest into the deck that's assuredly going to be banned, like what happened with Eldrazi.

Yep agree. I am honestly having trouble evaluating what could happen due to this. I have been mainly play-testing control and have no problem with the combo deck so perhaps have a skewed view currently.

Some people are evaluating it as a major problem but I don't get how how this is different from times when agro is dominating pushing control out... We seem ok with that.

It is too early but my gut reaction is the metagame call is control. Rather excited for the pro tour this time. This one is Dublin yea? Excellent! I'll get to watch it all live.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Ban G/W Tokens while we're at it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

It's DEFINITELY too good. And they can't ban it lol.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

Invigorated Rampage seems quite strong in testing to me. Highspire Infusion, on the other hand, has been lackluster. Upside is both can be found in draft leavings.

I'll try this out tonight, thank you.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

mcmagic posted:

It's DEFINITELY too good. And they can't ban it lol.

Why can't they ban it? It seems like the entire reason for the new mid-season BandR review is so they can do exactly that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Terrible Horse posted:

Why can't they ban it? It seems like the entire reason for the new mid-season BandR review is so they can do exactly that.

Two bans like this in standard in a 3 month time frame would completely destroy people's confidence to buy into standard. I don't think they will do it.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

mcmagic posted:

Two bans like this in standard in a 3 month time frame would completely destroy people's confidence to buy into standard. I don't think they will do it.

I can see that, but death by cats might hurt standard too. And WotC has a history of making boneheaded moves.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mcmagic posted:

Two bans like this in standard in a 3 month time frame would completely destroy people's confidence to buy into standard.
Not seeing the problem here :confused:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I am willing to bet that standard being a poo poo show because of it is the worse scenario for WOTC. They can't have lost standard seasons because they weren't willing to pull the trigger. Its why we are in this mess in the first place.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mcmagic posted:

It'd have to be catastrophically bad but if it is I don't think they can avoid it since rotation is 8 months out again.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

It'd have to be catastrophically bad but if it is I don't think they can avoid it since rotation is 8 months out again.

I thought Kaladesh was the starting point for the next rotation too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Holy poo poo, SCG Opens are now cheaper than GPs and you get a free playmat with them? This scary new world of alternative facts... :stare:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

Holy poo poo, SCG Opens are now cheaper than GPs and you get a free playmat with them? This scary new world of alternative facts... :stare:

Yeah but aren't there a shitload less Opens now?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

I can't quite match that but I hope my order for $5 each on Saturday ships :ohdear:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Yeah but aren't there a shitload less Opens now?

Something like 9. Almost one a month isn't bad. They are doing a few Gp's this year too though and the invitationals.

Speaking of, are the invitationals something that gets any buzz in other regions?

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 23, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

I was interested in going to a GP near me and then I saw it cost $80 so I'm skipping

Sickening posted:

Speaking of, are the invitationals something that gets any buzz in other regions?

only inasmuch as "oh hey a big tournament that's randomly happening this weekend" among people that I know

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Sickening posted:

I am willing to bet that standard being a poo poo show because of it is the worse scenario for WOTC. They can't have lost standard seasons because they weren't willing to pull the trigger. Its why we are in this mess in the first place.
I'm not saying it's going to happen, but Wizards is entirely capable of just pronouncing a card is Standard legal for arbitrary "health of the format" reasons. Pithing Needle, as others have said, would be a tremendous option to have in this Standard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Veyrall posted:

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but Wizards is entirely capable of just pronouncing a card is Standard legal for arbitrary "health of the format" reasons. Pithing Needle, as others have said, would be a tremendous option to have in this Standard.

It hasn't happened before and would cause the card to spike is price to an unhealthy level.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

They also made this worse by going back to the longer rotations...This deck is going to be in standard for 2 years and anything that they print that is even decent in a control shell is going to make it more oppressive.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

They also made this worse by going back to the longer rotations...This deck is going to be in standard for 2 years and anything that they print that is even decent in a control shell is going to make it more oppressive.

Right, which is why if its as good or better at the pro tour its gone. Rip all those that spent 50+ bucks on saheeli and didn't get an RPTQ invite with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Right, which is why if its as good or better at the pro tour its gone. Rip all those that spent 50+ bucks on saheeli and didn't get an RPTQ invite with it.

I think i can play 4-5 PPTQ's with it before I dump them... Better win one lol

• Locked thread