Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Doggles posted:

From the Schadenfreude thread:

i saw this happen way before it did. poor thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Doggles posted:

From the Schadenfreude thread:

I had a friend do this once, but we were walking down a well-lit street completely sober and he hit a pole for a parking sign just like the dozens we'd walked past before. I don't blame that girl for hitting one so well-disguised.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

tater_salad posted:

i saw this happen way before it did. poor thing

Naw, it's steel, it probably wasn't even dented.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of steel, it should not do this,

No traffic on Delaware River Bridge while fracture is assessed, fixed

Officials said it would take two weeks before engineers have a full grasp of the extent of the damage, what kinds of repairs would be needed, and how long the bridge would remain closed.

But they made clear that the damage was significant.

"Due to the significant fracture, stresses have been redistributed to other parts of the bridge," said Brad Heigel, Pennsylvania Turnpike chief engineer.

The bridge on I-276 was last inspected in 2014 and no problems were identified at that time. It handles about 42,000 vehicles a day.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20170122_No_traffic_on_Delaware_River_Bridge_while_fracture_is_assessed__fixed.html

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Looks like :smugdon: will have to pass that infrastructure bill won't he

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lime Tonics posted:

Speaking of steel, it should not do this,

No traffic on Delaware River Bridge while fracture is assessed, fixed

Officials said it would take two weeks before engineers have a full grasp of the extent of the damage, what kinds of repairs would be needed, and how long the bridge would remain closed.

But they made clear that the damage was significant.

"Due to the significant fracture, stresses have been redistributed to other parts of the bridge," said Brad Heigel, Pennsylvania Turnpike chief engineer.

The bridge on I-276 was last inspected in 2014 and no problems were identified at that time. It handles about 42,000 vehicles a day.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20170122_No_traffic_on_Delaware_River_Bridge_while_fracture_is_assessed__fixed.html

That bridge was hacked by Russians, I can tell.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Powershift posted:

It's not like a dead cow is a big deal. Like when an escalator breaks it becomes stairs, when a cow breaks it becomes steak.

sorry for the deliciousness.

This is a good reference.

Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powershift posted:

Like when an escalator breaks it becomes stairs

Not in this thread.

All of those links are :nms: for death and injury.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Memento posted:

Not in this thread.

All of those links are :nms: for death and injury.

In all of those situations, they would have made better stairs once stopped than they did escalators while moving.

"sorry for the convenience and also you get to keep your legs"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

A plane with a solarium? Designed by George Costanza?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9DEWf-2do8

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Ramadu posted:

Looks like :smugdon: will have to pass that infrastructure bill won't he

Actually there is no bill, just $160Bn tax cuts and credits that will somehow generate $1Tn in spending.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Glazier posted:

Actually there is no bill, just $160Bn tax cuts and credits that will somehow generate $1Tn in spending.

Art of the deal!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Lime Tonics posted:

It was last inspected in 2014? That is insane.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Splode posted:

It's raining outside but I'm not getting wet! Guess I don't need this umbrella anymore!

vvv And you better hope they don't retire because they can't be replaced! vvv

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 23, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Splode posted:

You better not go read about how there are some number of thousands of dams in the US and like 2 inspectors.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Don't worry, a bunch of tax cuts will fix that right up! Also, since the hiring freeze, if one of those two dies or retires, you'll be down to just one! Imagine the savings to tax payers!

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Wasn't sure which thread I wanted to post this in more, but if it was a professional movie set, then definitely OSHA.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/23/asia/australia-actor-fatally-shot-during-filming/index.html

Anti-gun paradise not so perfect?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

interwhat posted:

Wasn't sure which thread I wanted to post this in more, but if it was a professional movie set, then definitely OSHA.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/23/asia/australia-actor-fatally-shot-during-filming/index.html

gently caress off, this isn't a gun control thread

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

interwhat posted:

This post is fine and relevant.

interwhat posted:

gently caress yourself oval office. It was literally a workplace accident you've decided to politicise.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Memento posted:

This post is fine and relevant.

gently caress yourself oval office. It was literally a workplace accident you've decided to politicise.

This wouldn't have happened if he was wearing a high vis vest.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Powershift posted:

This wouldn't have happened if he was wearing a high vis vest.

Actually it might not have since they would have had to take him back to wardrobe, and in the meantime someone might have thought to say, "is that a real goddamned gun you morons?".

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Improbable Lobster posted:

gently caress off, this isn't a gun control thread

Shut the gently caress up

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-24/film-media-union-to-look-at-safety-after-bliss-n-eso-shooting/8205968 posted:

But the ABC has been told by other sources that Ofner was shot with a blank round, at close range, causing two chest wounds.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Bananana posted:

Shut the gently caress up

You aren't my dad

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
It must have been a rap video

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Actually it might not have since they would have had to take him back to wardrobe, and in the meantime someone might have thought to say, "is that a real goddamned gun you morons?".
Lots of movies and shows use real guns fyi. It isn't any less dangerous than a fake gun firing blanks but it is a whole lot cheaper.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Lots of movies and shows use real guns fyi. It isn't any less dangerous than a fake gun firing blanks but it is a whole lot cheaper.

AFAIK a fake gun that fires blanks is actually just a gun because blanks are just bullets without the part that shoots out. Not that blanks haven't killed people.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe they shoulda used those westworld guns that can only kill robits.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

fat bossy gerbil posted:

The important bit about shooting blanks/sim rounds/etc. is bothering to check that the gun is actually loaded with those things and not actual bullets before waving it around at people. Yes, even taking the 3 whole seconds required to check the chamber!

Apparently this is not always obvious.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I've probably posed this in this thread before but Jon-Erik Hexum

quote:

On October 12, 1984, the cast and crew of Cover Up were filming the seventh episode of the series, "Golden Opportunity", on Stage 17 of the 20th Century Fox lot. One of the scenes filmed that day called for Hexum's character to load bullets into a .44 Magnum handgun, so he was provided with a functional real gun and blanks. When the scene did not play as the director wanted it to play in the master shot, there was a delay in filming. Hexum became restless and impatient during the delay and began playing around to lighten the mood. Apparently, he had unloaded all but one (blank) round, spun it, and, apparently simulating Russian roulette with what he thought was a harmless weapon, at 5:15 p.m., he put the revolver to his right temple and pulled the trigger.

Hexum was apparently unaware that his actions were dangerous. Blanks use paper or plastic wadding to seal gunpowder into the cartridge, and this wadding is propelled from the barrel of the gun with enough force to cause injury if the weapon is fired within a few feet of the body should it strike at a particularly vulnerable spot, such as the temple or the eye. At a close enough range, the effect of the powder gasses is similar to a small explosion, so although the paper wadding in the blank that Hexum discharged did not penetrate his skull, there was enough blunt force trauma to shatter a quarter-sized piece of his skull and propel the pieces into his brain, causing massive hemorrhaging.

Hexum was rushed to Beverly Hills Medical Center, where he underwent five hours of surgery to repair his wounds.[7] On October 18, six days after the accident, Hexum was declared brain dead.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm surprised it took 6 days to declare him braindead. I would have figured it out within a few moments of him shooting himself.

"why is jon laying on the floor"
"he shot himself in the head playing pretend russsian roulette"
"well, let's get his organs into someone who isn't dumb enough to shoot themselves in the head"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

AFAIK a fake gun that fires blanks is actually just a gun because blanks are just bullets without the part that shoots out. Not that blanks haven't killed people.

No. There are guns that can safely fire *only* blanks, which have far lower chamber pressures. There are blank-only replicas of actual firearms, and there are also blank-only noisemakers that are made to only vaguely resemble real guns.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Not that blanks haven't killed people.

Yeah many people think blanks don't shoot anything out of the gun, but the cartridge contains bits of wadding and stuff to keep the powder packed against the primer. That, and pellets of burning powder, are still shot out the gun but usually disintegrate within a few metres.

Even without that, if you hold the muzzle up hard against something, all that expanding gas has to go somewhere.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Phanatic posted:

No. There are guns that can safely fire *only* blanks, which have far lower chamber pressures. There are blank-only replicas of actual firearms, and there are also blank-only noisemakers that are made to only vaguely resemble real guns.
Put a live round in there and it will project it the same as any real firearm though, even if the gun explodes as it does so. Blank only guns cost just as much and in many cases a whole lot more than just using a real gun hence why directors often just opt to use the real thing.

Brandon Lee, son of Bruce Lee, was killed on the set of The Crow in a firearm mishap:

"Instead of purchasing commercial dummy cartridges, the film's prop crew created their own by pulling the bullets from live rounds, dumping the powder charge then reinserting the bullets. However, they unknowingly or unintentionally left the live primer in place at the rear of the cartridge. At some point during filming the revolver was apparently discharged with one of these improperly-deactivated cartridges in the chamber, setting off the primer with enough force to drive the bullet partway into the barrel, where it became stuck (a condition known as a squib load). The prop crew either failed to notice this or failed to recognize the significance of this issue.

In the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be actually fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6–4.5 meters (12–15 feet), the dummy cartridges were exchanged with blank rounds, which feature a live powder charge and primer, but no bullet, thus allowing the gun to be fired without the risk of an actual projectile. But since the bullet from the dummy round was already trapped in the barrel, this caused the .44 Magnum bullet to be fired out of the barrel with virtually the same force as if the gun had been loaded with a live round, and it struck Lee in the abdomen, mortally wounding him.[11] He was rushed to the New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington, North Carolina, where he underwent 6 hours of surgery. However, attempts to save him were unsuccessful, and Lee was pronounced dead at 1:03 p.m. EST. The shooting was ruled an accident."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

interwhat posted:

It must have been a rap video

it was

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Put a live round in there and it will project it the same as any real firearm though, even if the gun explodes as it does so. Blank only guns cost just as much and in many cases a whole lot more than just using a real gun hence why directors often just opt to use the real thing.

It depends on the situation. A blank firearm might look like something in .45, but only be able to accept .17 or .22 blanks. And if there's a scene that requires you to hold a gun up to someone's head, an actor might decide "No, thank you, I don't want you to hold a real gun up to my skull," in which case you go with a replica, non-firing or otherwise. And as for the cost of the gun, you're renting these things, not buying them for your production. Also, legally they are different, and you might be filming in a country that makes getting hold of real firearms difficult even for movie productions.

The Movie Gun Database has exhaustive detail on all varieties of option.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What I don't know is howinfuck they got a real handgun to use. Unless someone brought their illegal piece in, which is extra extra stupid.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Presumably someone brought in a licensed firearm. It's not illegal to have a pistol - a guy in my office has half a dozen or so.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gromit posted:

Presumably someone brought in a licensed firearm. It's not illegal to have a pistol - a guy in my office has half a dozen or so.

And if you're producing a film clip, it's not hard at all to find a professional movie armorer to provide firearms and supervision. Whether you get a good one that will actually supervise is another matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Night Shade posted:

Yeah many people think blanks don't shoot anything out of the gun, but the cartridge contains bits of wadding and stuff to keep the powder packed against the primer. That, and pellets of burning powder, are still shot out the gun but usually disintegrate within a few metres.

Even without that, if you hold the muzzle up hard against something, all that expanding gas has to go somewhere.
Yeah, blanks can and will kill people, it just takes a fair bit of negligence. Every few years you'll get someone taking a blank-loaded pistol to their head as a joke, and whoops, they actually blow their brains out as the gas and wadding penetrates the skull. You can probably get similarly lethal effects with (im)properly-placed torso shots.