Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Our rabbit will only play with toys when no one is looking. We leave them lying around for her perusal, but she will rarely do more than nudge one with her nose and then move on.

However, if we leave them in her cage while we are gone, we will usually return to find the toy (usually wicker) in pieces all over the drat place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Sounds very much like Harriet.

Also side note: Bunny Sneezes are the most adorably concerning thing you'll ever see/hear. On one hand, it;s super cute. On the other it;s a "Oh poo poo to the vet"

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

My rabbit used to sneeze after cleaning his fur. It turned out he was just a bit allergic to himself.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Here's a recent picture of Cilantro

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

that was some Christmas, better relax...

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
It's been an incredibly trying time for the past few days. I don't post here much, but I check it every once in a while to know that my wife and I are not the only ones doing quite a lot for our pet rabbit. I'm sorry to add via sad things but it's helpful to write.

Oz is a 13 year old minirex rabbit that we adopted over 10 years ago. He has had numerous health issues over the years (an eye abscess requiring removal of the eye, chronic sneezing due to a infection that was resolved by him walling it off with a cyst in his nose, a benign cystoma on his belly that doesn't bother him but looks weird, and arthritis more recently). But, he's always taken things as a champ, even when being on 2 meds per day for the last who knows how many years. Very spunky.

Usually if he stopped eating we could rescue him by just giving him some critical care overnight and then he would be fine the next morning. He hasn't become fine this time. We took him to his usual vet yesterday after a few days of no improvement, and the vet was rather optimistic this isn't the end. Just give a second painkiller, subQ fluids, and increase the critical care amount for a few days then re-evaluate. At one point last night we were fairly certain he was going to die within minutes, but then after an hour of not being able to sit up and breathing fast he sat up and looked at us with his pissed off 'leave me the hell alone' look. Jesus Christ, Oz. You are killing us. He still isn't hopping well, and he seems tired after 1-2 hops but that isn't shocking considering his food/water intake these past few days.

He was eating at least a little bit of greens if you hand-fed him for the last few days, but he won't today. We're no longer optimistic he's going to pull through this time. The vet wants to try trimming his teeth (he has some small points & steps for the first time) if he doesn't improve by Friday, but at this point we are seriously questioning if it's worth subjecting him to being put under. He says he's had rabbits that were looking on their way out, but clipping the teeth solved it... I think we both are unsure if this potential quality of life post anesthesia has any real hope of being a good quality anymore, this sucks.

Hawkeye fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 12, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
he's a major cutie and it sounds like you gave him a really good life. whatever happens know that you've been a good human and don'tbeat yourself up if you need to make a tough decision

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Wife went out for a couple hours on Saturday and came back with a surprise. We've talked about getting a bun before, but I never expected this. Meet Zuba (name pending)! She's about 2 1/2, freshly spayed, litter trained. She was the first one my wife look at (she looked at all the buns and piggies at the Human Society), and the most stressed out there, to the point where she's actually losing hair.

Zuba is now out of the old Pack and Play and into a nice big cage. Really enjoys being out, the cats are tolerating her very well. More curious than anything. Wife has sent me several pics this morning, bunbun is getting lots of snuggles.

So far, she loves hopping around the living room and up onto and off of the couch, snuggling my wife and mother-in-law. She likes pets from me, but not snuggles.

EDIT: Better pics I just got from wifey:

Little poo poo's flipped her litterbox 3 times. Prefers pooping on her straw mat toy she got last night.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 24, 2017

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

What an adorable bun!! I tend to move litter trays to where the rabbits decide they want to go and just roll with it

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

What is the best way to find a new good home for bunnies?
I took in two rabbits last year and was told they weren't sure on the sex but they both were the same. They have been living together for around 6 months in a way to small cage when I took them in. Ones a lions head and ones a Flemish. I moved them into a 3'x6' cage like my other bunny but after about two days into adopting them it was obvious ones a male and ones female. I purchased another cage and separated them but it was too late and a few weeks later I had 5 more bunnies.
I was able to adopt one out to a friend but the four remain. I am looking to adopt out at least the two boys as they are causing stress among the other two males. I'm not asking for money but just want to make sure they would be going to a good home which makes me hesitant about Craigslist or taking them to a pet store or shelter. I am in Pennsylvania if it makes a difference.

Here's some photos.

n

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You can't be certain, ever, that they'll be rehomed to a good home. But right now you can be sure that you can't take care of seven rabbits. In other words: they are not in a good home right now. Not because you're a bad rabbit owner, but because it sounds like you don't have the space or resources to care for an unexpected litter. My recommendation is to go check out local shelters and talk to them. They'll know whether they have the resources and know-how to take them in, and you can also take a look and see if you think it's a rabbit-friendly space. If none of them can, then start trying Craigslist or putting up flyers or something. But you might need to look into that sooner, because the fewer you need to take to the shelter, the easier a time the shelters will have taking them. Right now, your goal is to get the babies out of the house because I'm guessing you can't afford to spay or neuter them all, and rabbits can have more babies way sooner than you think. You don't want this situation to get worse in a few weeks.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

clear eyes full farts posted:

What an adorable bun!! I tend to move litter trays to where the rabbits decide they want to go and just roll with it

Incidentally, where the mat was is where she's decided to leave her box and hasn't pooped outside of it since.

Someone was giving me and the wife butts and snuggles last night. It's especially cute when we're watching The Bachelor and she has our new (tuxedo) cat Princess curled up between her legs and the bun at her side getting pets.

EDIT: She moved her litterbox aside specifically to poop on the blankets on the floor of her cage.

She also spent most of last night binkying around the living room and scaring 2 out of 3 cats. The other cat just couldn't care less.

The remainder of the time she was out was spent snuggling between me and my wife. There's something loving adorable about having a bunny come across the couch and periscope next to you for pets. :kimchi:

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 26, 2017

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

You can't be certain, ever, that they'll be rehomed to a good home. But right now you can be sure that you can't take care of seven rabbits. In other words: they are not in a good home right now. Not because you're a bad rabbit owner, but because it sounds like you don't have the space or resources to care for an unexpected litter. My recommendation is to go check out local shelters and talk to them. They'll know whether they have the resources and know-how to take them in, and you can also take a look and see if you think it's a rabbit-friendly space. If none of them can, then start trying Craigslist or putting up flyers or something. But you might need to look into that sooner, because the fewer you need to take to the shelter, the easier a time the shelters will have taking them. Right now, your goal is to get the babies out of the house because I'm guessing you can't afford to spay or neuter them all, and rabbits can have more babies way sooner than you think. You don't want this situation to get worse in a few weeks.

Yeah I don't want another litter.
All the males are separated in 3'x6' runs. The 3 females are in a 3'x12' run. The two older males are neutered but the two male babies are not yet. I'll start looking for shelters in our area and the flyers might be a good start also.

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
My miniature Canadian flag must have fallen off the dresser last night. I found it in the rabbit’s litter box this morning, shredded and completely soaked in piss. She has NEVER done this to anything before. Not once. And she did it to the flag of my country.

Here’s the crime scene, if for some reason you want to see a gross litterbox and piss-stained Canadian flag. Ugh.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Meanwhile, Harriet is a patriot who supports the Prime Minister.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Meanwhile, Harriet is a patriot who supports the Prime Minister.

"How DARE you cast aspersions on my political leanings, HUMAN." God, I love Harriet.

I don't have buns, and I probably never will (majorly allergic to hay of all types). Thank you, goons, for giving me a bun fix as well as keeping me aware of what it really takes to watch over such a small and delicate animal.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

gamingCaffeinator posted:

"How DARE you cast aspersions on my political leanings, HUMAN." God, I love Harriet.

I don't have buns, and I probably never will (majorly allergic to hay of all types). Thank you, goons, for giving me a bun fix as well as keeping me aware of what it really takes to watch over such a small and delicate animal.

Everyone loves Harriet. It fuels her hatred.

Also, for the record, that is the only water bowl/bottle she hasn't broken. She's had it for two years.....So, maybe she is a Liberal. Maybe she just hates her photo being taken.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
We cooked something with a lot of garlic for dinner and our rabbit responded by slinking around the house nervously and then hiding in her cage. Do rabbits generally hate cooking smells?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Depends on the rabbit.

Maybe she thinks you're going to cook her.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy

i have two that get real uneasy when there is a lot of meaty cooking smells, the other one doesn't care at all

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Harriet usually hides too with the exception of bacon. Then she will press against the bars of her cage and act like she wants some.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Harriet is like the polar opposite of Zuba.

After a week at home, Zuba's finally moved her litterbox to a place she'll consistently use it. Her cage is almost always open, she goes between it and the area rug/couch in the living room. She binkies a lot during the day and night. Loves playing with her keys and ball :3:

She's also a loving snugglebug. After the kids go to sleep, she comes out of her cage and snuggles up next to my wife. Or on my wife. She loves pets and tries to climb onto your shoulder for them. Snugglebun is goodbun.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

grack posted:

Depends on the rabbit.

Maybe she thinks you're going to cook her.

I still might if she doesn't stop trying to get behind the couch.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

RichterIX posted:

I still might if she doesn't stop trying to get behind the couch.

She's not going to stop trying to get behind the couch. It's just a thing that rabbits do. Yes, she will eventually get stuck behind there and no it won't stop her from trying in the future.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
^^^^
People do stupid poo poo even when it clearly harms them too. Cut the little guys some slack.

clear eyes full farts posted:

i have two that get real uneasy when there is a lot of meaty cooking smells, the other one doesn't care at all

To be fair I would too if I was as delicious as a rabbit. I had a lop as a kid (he was an rear end in a top hat named Clark but I loved him anyways), but man are they tasty. If I had my druthers the only thing that would supersede rabbit on the menu is duck.

He actually got picked off by a hawk after being with us for ~5 years. Sucks that he went that way but it was back in the 90s before the internet told everyone how to be a perfect pet owner and his quality of life was probably way better from being an outdoor rabbit in the summer.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

We've had a pretty trying time for the last month or so. We went on holiday for about two weeks over christmas, and we normally take our rabbits (two spayed female sisters, Snoopy and Peanut, four years old) to a rabbit kennel without issue.

This time when we collected them we were told they started fighting, Peanut had a couple of really bad bites around the base of her ears and one clean through her ear. They've been bonded and happy together since they were born, so this is quite a surprise. The kennel owners suggested it was because of "all the pheromones" from the other rabbits in the place, although they aren't caged with other rabbits there.

Vet checkup cleared them, some cleaning stuff and cream for Peanut's wounds. The problem now is that Snoopy is still going at Peanut aggressively, not playfully like before - very clearly a full fight. We've separated them for the last month, and both are happy doing their own things, but when we try re-introduce them Snoopy still has a go (Peanut is very passive and clearly misses her sister).

Internet suggestions on re-bonding include: 1) slowly refamiliarising (didn't work) 2) introducing in an uncomfortable space (slightly more effective, using the bathroom they both hate because of the slippery tiles) 3) a car ride in the basked and 4) drugs. Any other ideas, oh great and wise internet rabbit thread? It's really heartbreaking, they've been besties all their lives.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If you have wire cages you can try putting them side-by-side with a piece to separate the cages in to two pieces. Also feeding them out of the same dish once a day (under supervision, of course) can help.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Willing to try anything at this point.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Prawned posted:

Willing to try anything at this point.
Have you tried the banana-on-the-forehead trick? Put them in the tub with banana on each other's heads, so they lick it off each other.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Zuba is a loving anomaly as far as rabbits go. This past week, when my wife was bed/bathroom-ridden with a nasty bug, she texted me that she wanted the bun, so I brought Zuba in and put her on the bed, where she promptly laid down practically on my wife and napped with her for an hour :kimchi: She's so loving snuggly for a bun! We love it!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

[timg]https://lpix.org/2703129/20170211_223144[1].jpg[/timg]

Harriet likes the blocks I got her.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Tiny Human used SOFT TOUCH. IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!!!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Zuba spent a good half hour as a bunloaf on the floor yesterday, ears back, getting love from the 4-year-old and the 19-month-old just sitting there, petting her, talking to her.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Meanwhile Harriet is getting and giving a ton of love from a 63 year old woman and a 65 year old man because she is staying at my parents place while I am vacationing.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Have you tried the banana-on-the-forehead trick? Put them in the tub with banana on each other's heads, so they lick it off each other.

Seems better at times, worse at others but still can't leave them alone together any length of time, especially near their primary house. But haha yeah will try that shortly.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

We got Zuzu a friend, Avery, over the weekend. Avery's an altered male, Zu an altered female. My wife was holding Avery in her lap and had me get Zu out and put her on the couch; almost right away, she started grooming Avery. Then she tried to hop over him and he attacked and they've been on bad terms ever since.

Zuzu is the aggressor of the pair; when he's out and hopping around, she doesn't like him being around her cage, or if she's out and he's in his cage, she tries to get to him. The aggression is getting less and less with each day though.

I guess my question is this: Why would Zuzu groom him and then suddenly be aggressive?

EDIT: Butthead finally let me get a good picture.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 2, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

She likely tried to dominance hump him and he didn't like it. Pretty normal thing for rabbits.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I love letting my parents bunnysit harriet when I leave town. She destroys their stuff for a change and she also is friendly when she gets home.

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

I adopted a pair of 8 month old agouti-colored sisters from the SPCA about 3 months ago, and they are pretty skittish. They aren't afraid to come near me, and clearly think I'm ok, but don't touch or grab them, that's not cool.

I named them Samus and Ridley, Samus because she has more orange on her, Ridley because she's the dominant one and a snaggletooth.

I've been working to bond with them every day, and sometimes they will climb onto my back when I'm lying on the floor, or climb into my lap to get at delicious treat. However, last night Ridley was on my back and started grooming me, and then they both started grooming my arm! Woo, progress with them!

I don't know if we'll ever get to the snuggle stage, but grooming and just wanting to be around (or on top of) me is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shayl posted:

I adopted a pair of 8 month old agouti-colored sisters from the SPCA about 3 months ago, and they are pretty skittish. They aren't afraid to come near me, and clearly think I'm ok, but don't touch or grab them, that's not cool.

I named them Samus and Ridley, Samus because she has more orange on her, Ridley because she's the dominant one and a snaggletooth.

I've been working to bond with them every day, and sometimes they will climb onto my back when I'm lying on the floor, or climb into my lap to get at delicious treat. However, last night Ridley was on my back and started grooming me, and then they both started grooming my arm! Woo, progress with them!

I don't know if we'll ever get to the snuggle stage, but grooming and just wanting to be around (or on top of) me is pretty great.
Pictures of snaggletooth bun, please.