Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Flip Jace is absolute garbage. I lost 3 different games at FNM this week because he was in my desk instead of any real card. Don't play it.

Fair enough. I've only ever played him in vintage where he's nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

L0cke17 posted:

Fair enough. I've only ever played him in vintage where he's nuts.
Yeah, it turns out recurring spells is way better when those spells can be Ancestral Recall and Time Walk.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Hes only better than snaps for being able to recur gush.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

standard.deviant posted:

Yeah, it turns out recurring spells is way better when those spells can be Ancestral Recall and Time Walk.

And I still maintain my belief that Snapcaster is much better at it. Jace is only better right now because Gush is the only blue deck you can play that wants that effect and Gush doesn't ever want 4 lands in play to Snap back a Time Walk. Also you can flash back a Gush by bouncing 2 islands.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 16, 2017

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Yeah restrict Gush and snaps is straight better.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

black potus posted:

Yeah restrict Gush

hosed up

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Mini tournament report - went 3-2 playing 4C Leo Gush at a 22-player Vintage event on Sunday. I posted my list about two pages back but can repost if needed. I talked to the original designer and he strongly recommended I find room for 2x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy but I'm not 100% sure what I'll cut to fit them in for next time. This was my very first time playing Vintage.

R1 vs Esper Mentor (won 2-0)

He drew a lot of cards and lost a lot of life off Bobs. He surprised me with a Tendrils that brought me down to 1 (a miscalculation or desperate move to gain some life, I'm not sure) but my deck drew into more threats and I focused on answering his Mentors rather than Bobs, which he eventually had to trade off for Pyromancer tokens.

1-0

R2 vs UWR Mentor (lost 1-2)

So. Many. Mentors. He had a bunch of bolts that took out my DRSs and Pyromancers, then finished me off with an army of monks. I really needed to stick Leovolds but some brutal wastelanding kept me off them for just long enough.

1-1

R3 vs Eldrazi (lost 1-2)

This was super close. He got an early lock on my moxen in game 1 and I couldn't get enough mana to form a defense, but I boarded into a bunch of removal and really blew him out game 2. Game 3 was super close, but after a bit of a grind he ended up drawing into something like Mimic, Smasher, Smasher and it was just too much. I was a turn or two from sealing the deal with DRS, too. I did get to steal a Phyrexian Metamorph copying some big 'Drazi with Dack Fayden in game 2; that was sweet.

1-2

R4 vs Merfolk (won 2-0)

A total blowout; I ignored the True Names and removed any lords, and my threats won the damage race handily, both games. We barely interacted, though. Game 2 I had the turn 1 JTMS off of Black Lotus. Life goals!

2-2

R5 vs UW Landstill (won 2-1)

I handed him game 1, throwing away Pyromancer into a Mishra's Factory I just plain forgot about. Games 2 and 3 we started with turn 1 counterwars over my DRSs and I came out on top both times. He never got back into the game after dumping our hands. Leovolds in both games completely sealed the deal, and even though he got a Moat I was easily able to drain for the win off DRS.

3-2

I finished 9th. Another 3-2 made it into the Top 8, beating me out on tie breakers. I'd have loved to play some more; this was a blast and I'm totally sold on the format. Thank goodness, since it was a little pricey to jump into the deep end! :)

Ville Valo fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 17, 2017

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Has anyone found anything worth doing with Scrap Trawler? It feels like the kind of card that should be an engine for KCI or something like that, but I could just as easily see it being garbage or not having a deck to go in that's good.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

seems funny with trading post. I dunno if there is or has ever been a viable trading post deck, but there was a sweet R Tron deck that played trash for treasure and got up to all sorts of foolishness with trading posts and stuff. might work there

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

seems funny with trading post. I dunno if there is or has ever been a viable trading post deck, but there was a sweet R Tron deck that played trash for treasure and got up to all sorts of foolishness with trading posts and stuff. might work there

There was one in big standard for like 2 months once.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Trading Post is a card that to this day scares and confuses me.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
4 of 9!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

godDAMN that's pretty

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ville Valo posted:

Mini tournament report - went 3-2 playing 4C Leo Gush at a 22-player Vintage event on Sunday. I posted my list about two pages back but can repost if needed. I talked to the original designer and he strongly recommended I find room for 2x Jace, Vryn's Prodigy but I'm not 100% sure what I'll cut to fit them in for next time. This was my very first time playing Vintage.

R1 vs Esper Mentor (won 2-0)

He drew a lot of cards and lost a lot of life off Bobs. He surprised me with a Tendrils that brought me down to 1 (a miscalculation or desperate move to gain some life, I'm not sure) but my deck drew into more threats and I focused on answering his Mentors rather than Bobs, which he eventually had to trade off for Pyromancer tokens.

1-0

R2 vs UWR Mentor (lost 1-2)

So. Many. Mentors. He had a bunch of bolts that took out my DRSs and Pyromancers, then finished me off with an army of monks. I really needed to stick Leovolds but some brutal wastelanding kept me off them for just long enough.

1-1

R3 vs Eldrazi (lost 1-2)

This was super close. He got an early lock on my moxen in game 1 and I couldn't get enough mana to form a defense, but I boarded into a bunch of removal and really blew him out game 2. Game 3 was super close, but after a bit of a grind he ended up drawing into something like Mimic, Smasher, Smasher and it was just too much. I was a turn or two from sealing the deal with DRS, too. I did get to steal a Phyrexian Metamorph copying some big 'Drazi with Dack Fayden in game 2; that was sweet.

1-2

R4 vs Merfolk (won 2-0)

A total blowout; I ignored the True Names and removed any lords, and my threats won the damage race handily, both games. We barely interacted, though. Game 2 I had the turn 1 JTMS off of Black Lotus. Life goals!

2-2

R5 vs UW Landstill (won 2-1)

I handed him game 1, throwing away Pyromancer into a Mishra's Factory I just plain forgot about. Games 2 and 3 we started with turn 1 counterwars over my DRSs and I came out on top both times. He never got back into the game after dumping our hands. Leovolds in both games completely sealed the deal, and even though he got a Moat I was easily able to drain for the win off DRS.

3-2

I finished 9th. Another 3-2 made it into the Top 8, beating me out on tie breakers. I'd have loved to play some more; this was a blast and I'm totally sold on the format. Thank goodness, since it was a little pricey to jump into the deep end! :)
Vintage is the best format bar none. Glad you had fun!

I've had a lot of trouble making Leovold work though in that format. My best luck was not with a Pyromancer build which I've tried a lot, but with 4-color not red and running mentors myself. Having swords and my own mentors made the matchup much better vs mentor. I also played nights whisper over gush because it was too reliant on land-drops to keep up mid-game pressure. And I had only strip mine and no mana denial plan to make room.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

The best way to improve a deck is to add Mentor?! :monocle:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

The best way to improve a deck is to add Mentor?! :monocle:

Also only 1 decay. It was too bad vs eldrazi

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

L0cke17 posted:

Vintage is the best format bar none. Glad you had fun!

I've had a lot of trouble making Leovold work though in that format. My best luck was not with a Pyromancer build which I've tried a lot, but with 4-color not red and running mentors myself. Having swords and my own mentors made the matchup much better vs mentor. I also played nights whisper over gush because it was too reliant on land-drops to keep up mid-game pressure. And I had only strip mine and no mana denial plan to make room.

I feel like a lot of the sideboard options are better with red than white, but I'm not familiar enough with the format to make those kind of calls. I'm not on mana denial at all; my lands are all fetches or blue duals with a single island. Leovold himself was an all star; I don't think he's going anywhere. Just need to nail down the shell.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ville Valo posted:

I feel like a lot of the sideboard options are better with red than white, but I'm not familiar enough with the format to make those kind of calls. I'm not on mana denial at all; my lands are all fetches or blue duals with a single island. Leovold himself was an all star; I don't think he's going anywhere. Just need to nail down the shell.

So currently, white is almost as good as red in my opinion. You get fragmentize for shops rather than chewers. With red and green you get grudge though, but depending on your mana base (ie how many moxen you run) white can actually be better as an answer to stony silence if that fucks you over. Swords to plowshares is at an all-time high in usefulness. With chalice restricted and a lot of non-artifact fat creatures running around its the best option for removal easily currently, especially with JVP or Snapcaster to recur it. Can you post your list? I'd be interested to see what choices you made.

e: This is what I was playing at some locals near christmas time:

Mana
1 Black Lotus
1 Bayou
1 Island
2 Misty Rainforest
4 Polluted Delta
2 Mana Confluence
1 Swamp
2 Tropical Island
2 Tundra
2 Underground Sea
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Sapphire

Interaction
3 Mental Misstep
4 Force of Will
4 Swords to Plowshares
1 Thoughtseize

Card Drawing
1 Treasure Cruise
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Dig Through Time
4 Night's Whisper
1 Ponder

Things that do stuff
4 Deathrite Shaman
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
2 Kambal, Consul of Allocation
1 Kaya, Ghost Assassin
3 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
1 Snapcaster Mage
3 Monastery Mentor
1 Tamiyo, Field Researcher
1 Time Walk

Sideboard:

1 Abrupt Decay
2 Containment Priest
1 Disenchant
1 Duress
1 Flusterstorm
3 Fragmentize
1 Grafdigger's Cage
3 Leyline of the Void
2 Mindbreak Trap

The main is 61 cards, but honestly its treasure cruise thats most likely the first cut, not one of the planeswalkers. They were all 3 surprisingly great. The one thing I really wish I had was a source of lifegain, somewhere somehow more than Kaya and Kambal(though Kambal is amazing if he resolves). I was really looking to go turn 1 DRS, or mox into night's wisper, turn 2 slam a 3 drop that will force the game into a good state for me. Kambal was always amazing, even vs shops just having 3 rear end is great. The downside is the mana is super sketchy, and folds to the more prisony shops variants.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 21, 2017

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Yeah, that's a very different list. Here's what I'm on, before finding room for two JVPs. Leaning towards cutting 1x Flusterstorm and... I don't know what else.

code:
4 Deathrite Shaman
3 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
3 Young Pyromancer
(Creatures) 10

1 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
4 Polluted Delta
2 Tropical Island
2 Underground Sea
2 Volcanic Island
(Lands) 14

1 Dack Fayden
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
(Planeswalkers) 2

1 Ancestral Recall
1 Black Lotus
1 Brainstorm
3 Cabal Therapy
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Dig Through Time
2 Dismember
2 Flusterstorm
3 Force Of Will
3 Gitaxian Probe
3 Gush
3 Mental Misstep
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Ponder
3 Preordain
1 Time Walk
1 Treasure Cruise
(Other) 34

2 Abrupt Decay
2 Ancient Grudge
4 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Mindbreak Trap
1 Null Rod
1 Pyroblast
1 Snuff Out
1 Sulfur Elemental
2 Tormod's Crypt
(Sideboard) 15

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Did you just mind game a sucka?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

Did you just mind game a sucka?

This is probably the sweetest play I've ever made and I've equipped my Batterskull to a Phyrexian Obliterator that I stole with Vedalken Shackles. In modern.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

suicidesteve posted:

This is probably the sweetest play I've ever made and I've equipped my Batterskull to a Phyrexian Obliterator that I stole with Vedalken Shackles. In modern.

You just stole that story from some guy on Caleb's stream

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Does merfolk normally play chalice? :confused:

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Elyv posted:

Does merfolk normally play chalice? :confused:

Yeah they usually do in a lot of lists.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/553522#paper

Abzan company with Saffi Eriksdottir + Renegade Rallier got 2nd at the modern classic this weekend. It looks like they're using it to get infinite scries with viscera seer. No tron in the top 16 is surprising.

EDIT: Actually it gets infinite bolsters too if you have Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit out.

uninverted fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 23, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

You just stole that story from some guy on Caleb's stream

That guy is much cooler and more handsome than me.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

uninverted posted:

Abzan company with Saffi Eriksdottir + Renegade Rallier got 2nd at the modern classic this weekend. It looks like they're using it to get infinite scries with viscera seer. No tron in the top 16 is surprising.

EDIT: Actually it gets infinite bolsters too if you have Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit out.

So just put a million triggers on the stack and then stop doing the combo?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

uninverted posted:

I want to be sure I get how this works:
- Have Renegade Rallier, Saffi, and Viscera Seer
- Sac Saffi targeting Rallier
- Sac Rallier to Seer
- Scry & Saffi triggers go on stack
- Resolve Saffi trigger, bring back Rallier
- Rallier trigger goes on stack targeting Saffi
- Bring back Saffi, now you're back where you started
- Scry trigger resolves

Woe be to judges who have to deal with people picking up this deck for the first time.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Well now that Fatal Push is out, I'm probably going to shelve Spirits and Infect for a while while everyone plays unlimited removal decks. So it's back to Bogles for me!

Any new Bogles tech come out recently? I see Gryff's Boon as a 2 of in a lot of lists. What about that thing that lets you play aura's at instant speed?

I'm probably going to stick with my 3X suppression field though, it just feels so good.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

uninverted posted:

that esper control deck is fuckin hot. I mean it's just a pile of removal and counterspells but that's exactly what I want to be doing

Mezzanon posted:

Any new Bogles tech come out recently? I see Gryff's Boon as a 2 of in a lot of lists. What about that thing that lets you play aura's at instant speed?

https://www.amazon.com/Household-Essentials-Krusher-Compactor-Stainless/dp/B00C50ODWO

suicidesteve posted:

i hope he conceded on the spot

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I knew what this was before I even saw the link.

i hope he conceded on the spot

Nope. And I got outskilled pretty hard by Probe + Therapy in game 2 and 3.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Well now that Fatal Push is out, I'm probably going to shelve Spirits and Infect for a while while everyone plays unlimited removal decks. So it's back to Bogles for me!

I'm probably going to stick with my 3X suppression field though, it just feels so good.

Fatal Push makes this a great time to keep playing Titan Breach but in my heart of hearts I want to go back to Mill now that Infect, Death's Shadow and Dredge have been knocked down a peg. I probably will once I get a few Yahenni's Expertise but I need the Titan reps too.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

that esper control deck is fuckin hot. I mean it's just a pile of removal and counterspells but that's exactly what I want to be doing

I have a theory that people who play Modern gravitate to whatever their first formative Standard deck was. That's my only explanation for why I want to play that deck, INN/RTR was just after when I got back into the game, and Sphinx's Revelation/Nephalia Drownyard control was my weapon of choice.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I have a theory that people who play Modern gravitate to whatever their first formative Standard deck was. That's my only explanation for why I want to play that deck, INN/RTR was just after when I got back into the game, and Sphinx's Revelation/Nephalia Drownyard control was my weapon of choice.

I started during Collected Company standard and my current modern deck is CoCo elves with plans to build abzan company or knightfall soon, so there might be something to that.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
No way am I playing eye of the storm/sins of the past combo ever again

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Maybe I'm an exception here, but I started playing around when Khans was printed with Legacy Burn, and now I play Maverick in that format and a GW midrange thing in modern.
Although, now that I think about it, the first deck after I finished burn was Death and Taxes, so maybe there's something to this.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Fatal Push makes this a great time to keep playing Titan Breach but in my heart of hearts I want to go back to Mill now that Infect, Death's Shadow and Dredge have been knocked down a peg. I probably will once I get a few Yahenni's Expertise but I need the Titan reps too.

I'm gonna put BU back together but I Don't have the lands :(

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My first standard was Caw-Blade. Then I quit standard when Jace got banned and played deadguy ale in legacy. Then junk depths then back to caw-blade in legacy. Then miracles. So basically I went full-circle. In modern I always *try* to play control and lose horribly, but I guess I can try again now that there may be a control deck relevant again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I've never played standard willingly (aside from one RTR/KTK FNM with Rakdos aggro) and I have a strong preference for control/tempo and certain prison decks. My first modern deck was mono-blue faeries and the first legacy deck I played and actually wanted to keep playing was RUG Delver. :rip: In fact, that's pretty much the only kind of Magic I like playing. Which I guess is why I don't like modern.