Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

What should they use instead? openldap? NIS+?

Azure AD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ate all the Oreos posted:

a custom handmade implementation designed by 8 different contractors whose only contact with each other is via semaphore flags, you know like all government contracting

you forgot the part where any contractors that finish on time and on budget get rewarded by not getting more time and more budget

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Isn't there a limit to the number AD users and groups?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i bet it was really someone's big ole donger. some guy on the plane had to buy another seat in which to sling his truly gargantuan and yet somehow tenderly beautiful meat monster and the captain radioed down to the tarmac "houston we have the biggest drat darn ding donger i ever did see were gonna need to burn some fuel so we can get this elegant creature there iykwim"

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Jewel posted:

:gonk:

http://www.itwire.com/enterprise-solutions/76513-the-great-australian-citizen-28m-active-directory-domain.html

"A Reddit posting says the Australian Government may be looking at Active Directory to authenticate 28 million Australian citizens in a future public-facing website."

oh cool! a way to change someone's Real And Legal Name™ by messing around with a misconfigured Outlook client

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

OSI bean dip posted:

depends, which samba version is it running on?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Westie posted:

oh cool! a way to change someone's Real And Legal Name™ by messing around with a misconfigured Outlook client

You joke and yet

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jewel posted:

"A Reddit posting says the Australian Government may be looking at Active Directory to authenticate 28 million Australian citizens in a future public-facing website."

NOICE

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

theoretically theres no limit to objects you can store, but there are limits around SID generation for new objects on a per domain controller level.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ate all the Oreos posted:

for sale: used jet fuel, never flown

:smith:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
My guess would be they'd be using ADFS and not direct ldap authentication to AD since it would be far more flexible. Azure AD would be a better choice since it has a lot of hardening and handles password resets and the like.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lol hosting an entire country's worth of people on ms azure ad what would that cost like $1 bil/mo?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
assuming 30mil users 180mil/mo for p1, 270mil/mo for p2 @ retail prices so probably less for enterprise agreement pricing.

if you're actually gonna have people in there and using it all the time then it makes sense, otherwise self hosting would probably be cheaper.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

BiohazrD posted:

lol hosting an entire country's worth of people on ms azure ad what would that cost like $1 bil/mo?

australia has 23 million people so unless they get special pricing microsoft would charge anywhere between $23 mn USD to $138 mn

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I imagine they would be offered quite the discount for something like that.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
$30 mn to $180 mn AUD

Chalks posted:

well yeah. it could be a negative discount too all things considered

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Chalks posted:

enterprise agreements that anyone can get are like 30% off for a 1 year sub so I would bet Microsoft would be willing to give them something even better to be able to brag about hosting the identity management for the worlds largest prison.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

enterprise agreements that anyone can get are like 30% off for a 1 year sub so I would bet Microsoft would be willing to give them something even better to be able to brag about hosting the identity management for the worlds largest prison.

i dont think the refugees trapped in australias island death camps are going to be included in this AD install

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well the majority of the criminals are on the main island so I think it still stands.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
part of me wishes the US would standardize national identity management, but the other part knows they'd just gently caress it up horribly.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Assuming MS is interested in hosting it they'll probably just offer them a competitive price. It doesn't sound like the most horrendous idea when compared to some monolithic bespoke project - as long as MS are confident they could handle it smoothly.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Chalks posted:

Assuming MS is interested in hosting it they'll probably just offer them a competitive price. It doesn't sound like the most horrendous idea when compared to some monolithic bespoke project - as long as MS are confident they could handle it smoothly.

Unfortunately ability to handle a project isn't part of the rubric of enterprise project management. In fact I'd say the only metric they use is number of billable hours.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Unfortunately ability to handle a project isn't part of the rubric of enterprise project management. In fact I'd say the only metric they use is number of billable hours.

I dunno, having an entire nation locked into their cloud platform certainly feels very Microsoft. Windows XP for submarines, AzureAD for nation states.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
imagine if they tried to upsell them on Office 365 for everyone.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shaggar posted:

part of me wishes the US would standardize national identity management, but the other part knows they'd just gently caress it up horribly.

the us can't do poo poo like that it'd get bogged down by politics and terrible contractors

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah its the worst. theres so much good that could come out of the federal government but its doomed to eternal failure.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/22/travel/united-grounds-domestic-flights-because-of-it-issue/index.html?adkey=bn

not copying the article because there's literally no other useful info

bets on it being

a) cryptolockered servers

b) someone hosed around with that exploit of the booking system that let you change reservations

c) ddos

d) Russian hacking

e) node.js comedy option

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

my latest flight was delayed because they overloaded the plane and we needed to sit there and burn off exactly 140l of fuel.

:sloppy:

Jewel posted:

:gonk:

http://www.itwire.com/enterprise-solutions/76513-the-great-australian-citizen-28m-active-directory-domain.html

:sloppy:

Migishu fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 23, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Also while Azure AD would be a decent choice, price concerns notwithstanding, Australian citizens might object to hosting their PII in the US or on systems possibly controlled by a US company under the Patriot Act.

Although Australia being a FVEY member that might be less of an issue.

e: I know the average EU citizen would probably flip their poo poo about hosting their government PII in the US. (Even though most of them share everything anyway through social media.)

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 23, 2017

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Also while Azure AD would be a decent choice, price concerns notwithstanding, Australian citizens might object to hosting their PII in the US or on systems possibly controlled by a US company under the Patriot Act.

Although Australia being a FVEYE member that might be less of an issue.

e: I know the average EU citizen would probably flip their poo poo about hosting their government PII in the US. (Even though most of them share everything anyway through social media.)

Yeah, but they have azure datacenters in the EU so that we don't need to worry about that so much.

Apparently they have two datacenters in Australia as well from looking at their regions list.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They could host it in the arms-length German facility.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Although Australia being a FVEYE member that might be less of an issue.

My guess would be that it would be hosted in Australia with the US zones as backup. they could probably negotiate for aus only hosting if they really wanted.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
and idk about Australians, but Id be more worried about my government hosting it than Microsoft.

my state's tax filing system stores passwords in reversible (probably plaintext) form

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah for all my governments failings they do have actual standards and laws and stuff for storing and processing data.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Chalks posted:

Yeah, but they have azure datacenters in the EU so that we don't need to worry about that so much.

Apparently they have two datacenters in Australia as well from looking at their regions list.

Depending on your interpretation of the Patriot Act, the US government could compel Microsoft to hand over data stored in foreign countries.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

My guess would be that it would be hosted in Australia with the US zones as backup. they could probably negotiate for aus only hosting if they really wanted.

someone will realize it's a stupid project that funnels lots of taxpayer money to a known incompetent foreign company and try to kill it by adding lots of expensive requirements that will cause the project to blow past its budget

but nobody will ever straight up cancel it before it hits tres comas

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Depending on your interpretation of the Patriot Act, the US government could compel Microsoft to hand over data stored in foreign countries.

Fortunately that's not the EU data protection law's interpretation, for whatever that's worth. I think in this case it's probably good enough. We store our data in Azure EU datacentres for this very reason.

Edit: Also stuff like this indicates that the US courts broadly agree: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/14/microsoft_wins_landmark_irish_warrant_case_against_usa/

Chalks fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 23, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

https://www.extremetech.com/internet/243202-symantec-caught-improperly-issuing-illegitimate-https-certificates

quote:

According to security researcher Andrew Ayer, Symantec has issued 108 credentials in violation of strict industry guidelines that the organization agreed to abide by when it made this mistake back in 2015. Nine of the certificates were issued without the permission or knowledge of the affected domain orders, while the other 99 were issued to companies with obviously faked data, Ars Technica reports. Ayer writes: “I doubt there is an organization named “test” located in “test, Korea.”

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

maybe its time to untrust symantec root?

lol what would that break, like 50% of the internet?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Nice!

symantec guy posted:

The listed Symantec certificates were issued by one of our WebTrust audited
partners. We have reduced this partner's privileges to restrict further
issuance while we review this matter. We revoked all reported certificates
which were still valid that had not previously been revoked within the 24
hour CA/B Forum guideline - these certificates each had "O=test". Our
investigation is continuing.

two strikes and you're out right? though they're kinda too big to fail...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BiohazrD posted:

maybe its time to untrust symantec root?

lol what would that break, like 50% of the internet?

:murder:

• Locked thread