Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Guy Goodbody posted:

I just want a Warhammer 40,000 cinematic universe.

They tried starting one and even got Dan Abnett to write it. Then they ran out of money at the end and it looks like Dawn of War 1 in-game footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I always read the title of 6 as the Jedi (plural) are going to begin returning to the world, not specifically the return of Luke (who wasn't even a Jedi yet). But I guess that return was short lived if he's the last one. And after the prequels I don't know why anyone would want more Jedi around, anyway.

Then again, before I saw TFA I thought the title might have meant that the force starts 'awakening' in all sorts of people all over the galaxy - but I guess it just meant 'This one girl.'

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

I just want a Warhammer 40,000 cinematic universe.

Warhammer 40k is complete loving garbage. I know someone is gonna come and tell me how big and magical the universe is, you can have anything you want!, but it really is just a parody of grim and moody scifi which is now taking itself seriously and is even dumber.

It works for video games because who gives a poo poo about the story and characters? But everything else has been awful.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I always read the "the Jedi" in "Return of the Jedi" as referring to the institution rather than specifically to Luke.

But if all of his trainee Jedi got killed and he's been jerking it with squirrels for 20 years, I guess that wasn't the case.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I always see the Jedi in Return of the Jedi as a lovely film that shows that Lucas had decided that making childrens toys was more important than making a good movie.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

FuturePastNow posted:

I always read the "the Jedi" in "Return of the Jedi" as referring to the institution rather than specifically to Luke.

But if all of his trainee Jedi got killed and he's been jerking it with squirrels for 20 years, I guess that wasn't the case.

That would assume you actually cared about those movies and wanted to make a sequel, instead of just cashing in on a franchise by loosely stringing together a series of references.

The next movie should have been Luke and the Jedi Academy. That concept was already full of multi-ethnic teenagers, and probably one with a disability.

Go back and just make that one.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Force Awakens would of been cooler if it was just Fury Road in space.

think about it, luke could of been the dude haunted by his past and having flash backs. learns to be a human again when saving some chicks, rey and finn, from a evil dude (snook?)

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

revdrkevind posted:

The next movie should have been Luke and the Jedi Academy. That concept was already full of multi-ethnic teenagers, and probably one with a disability.

I disagree. The next movie should have been 1000 years in the future and have had Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker as mere legends. It should have been a different conflict altogether, not the same loving poo poo with the same loving people.

That might have actually fulfilled the idea that Star Wars is a "saga" and a grand, galaxy-spanning universe that has interesting stories to tell. Instead it's this tiny, tiny story that we can't loving get away from.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ashpanash posted:

I disagree. The next movie should have been 1000 years

*in an extremely Disney executive voice*
Yes, a fantastic idea. So in a thousand years they have, like a whole galaxy of death stars? A death galaxy? And someone clones Darth Vader, right? This poo poo just writes itself. You're a genius, man!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

revdrkevind posted:

Go back and just make that one.

When Rebels wraps up, that's what the next CGI cartoon will be.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Paladinus posted:

*in an extremely Disney executive voice*
Yes, a fantastic idea. So in a thousand years they have, like a whole galaxy of death stars? A death galaxy? And someone clones Darth Vader, right? This poo poo just writes itself. You're a genius, man!

Same exec: I wonder what other ways we can poo poo on Walts legacy?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
You jackasses couldnt even go a single page after a half in the bag without talking about loving star wars.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

You jackasses couldnt even go a single page after a half in the bag without talking about loving star wars.

I LOVE STAR WARS

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

ashpanash posted:

I disagree. The next movie should have been 1000 years in the future and have had Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker as mere legends. It should have been a different conflict altogether, not the same loving poo poo with the same loving people.

That might have actually fulfilled the idea that Star Wars is a "saga" and a grand, galaxy-spanning universe that has interesting stories to tell. Instead it's this tiny, tiny story that we can't loving get away from.

It's hard to imagine a Star Wars story without a good vs evil thing going on but it would've been nice. On the one hand it has to be simple enough that you care about what's going on and you don't have to go into space politics to grasp it, but on the other hand it has to be more complicated than space-nazis vs plucky heroes or it'll just get compared to the trilogy. Maybe just start it in the middle of a war with barely any setup and flesh it out from there.

But you should avoid using the same designs for the costumes, sets, and props as the trilogy. Take some elements from them sure, but give it a little twist to make it stand out on its own.

AT-STs! AT-STs! AT-STs! AT-STs!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Same exec: I wonder what other ways we can poo poo on Walts legacy?

Star Wars Episode 9: The Rise of Mickey

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I met Jay and Josh at B-Fest over the weekend. Those hack-frauds are real nice folks and somehow put up with me asking for a photo after having to sit through Battlefield Earth at 3:30 AM.

B-Fest was great except for the smell, holy poo poo

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

MrSlam posted:

It's hard to imagine a Star Wars story without a good vs evil thing going on but it would've been nice.

Oh, still make it about good and evil (that's all Star Wars has going for it) but I mean different players in that game. (No Sith/Jedi, no Empire/Rebels. Same concept, different names for them. Introduce all new characters. Still have the force but it's a different culture.)

I know, it's not going to happen. It would have been nice to see.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Nutsngum posted:

Well a thing happened and we couldn't control ourselves!

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Geoff Zahn posted:

I met Jay and Josh at B-Fest over the weekend. Those hack-frauds are real nice folks and somehow put up with me asking for a photo after having to sit through Battlefield Earth at 3:30 AM.

Nice.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ashpanash posted:

Oh, still make it about good and evil (that's all Star Wars has going for it) but I mean different players in that game. (No Sith/Jedi, no Empire/Rebels. Same concept, different names for them. Introduce all new characters. Still have the force but it's a different culture.)

"Luke Starkiller is a plucky young hero from the desert planet of Dantooine..."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

hemale in pain posted:

Warhammer 40k is complete loving garbage. I know someone is gonna come and tell me how big and magical the universe is, you can have anything you want!, but it really is just a parody of grim and moody scifi which is now taking itself seriously and is even dumber.

It works for video games because who gives a poo poo about the story and characters? But everything else has been awful.

No it's good

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

imagine harry potter set in one thousand years! instead of wizards we have CYBER wizards and instead of talking to snakes harry potter a new kid with magical powers talks to computers!

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Geoff Zahn posted:

Fun fact: This was by FAR the least smelly the place was in 3 years I've been going.

Also fun fact: I realized Jay was at the stall next to me so I had to pretend to pee.

Also also fun fact: The Magic S-Word was me.

Also also also a fun fact: I swear to god if the motherfucker beside me brings an onion sandwich next year I'm going to beat him to death with it. JESUS CHRIST these nerds need to quick bringing rank rear end food into the theater. You can swim on the current of Cool Ranch Doritos stench. Worst part of the event though, the child behind me who kept screaming "dildohead" with their loud rear end mom who kept laughing absurdly loudly at her own jokes.

Still an amazing event. This was a good year, Last Dragon was amazing. So glad they found the original voice track for Hercules.

ashpanash posted:

Sure there are a million better ways to do this and that's one of them.

Just that if they wanted to bring back the original cast and stuff, they should have done Luke's Jedi Academy. Now he's the Ben Kenobi.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Why the gently caress did they even make toys for R1? That movie wasn't targeted or made for children whatsoever.

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

How accurate are the Rogue One toys? Like, does the Forest Whitaker action figure have a lazy eye and everything?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

revdrkevind posted:

Fun fact: This was by FAR the least smelly the place was in 3 years I've been going.

Also fun fact: I realized Jay was at the stall next to me so I had to pretend to pee.

Also also fun fact: The Magic S-Word was me.

Also also also a fun fact: I swear to god if the motherfucker beside me brings an onion sandwich next year I'm going to beat him to death with it. JESUS CHRIST these nerds need to quick bringing rank rear end food into the theater. You can swim on the current of Cool Ranch Doritos stench. Worst part of the event though, the child behind me who kept screaming "dildohead" with their loud rear end mom who kept laughing absurdly loudly at her own jokes.

Still an amazing event. This was a good year, Last Dragon was amazing. So glad they found the original voice track for Hercules.

This was the first year for me. Heard about it through RLM, but I can't remember which video it was mentioned. Forgot about it until my gf surprised me with tickets. Got there late, just in time to see the last 1/3 of Magic Sword, which I wish I hadn't missed (could have done without sitting through Bloodlust and the woman screaming MAKE IT STOP!!! way past it stopped being funny). I totally agree, Last Dragon was fantastic. I ended up leaving after Battlefield Earth - didn't prepare well enough to last the whole event, haha. Despite the absurd levels of gooniness from the attendees, I'm definitely going again next year and will bring an air freshener.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

a bone to pick posted:

Why the gently caress did they even make toys for R1? That movie wasn't targeted or made for children whatsoever.

Excuse me, they are collectible memorabilia, not toys.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

a bone to pick posted:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Those toys weren't made for children. Manchildren, yes.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

priznat posted:

Those toys weren't made for children. Manchildren, yes.

They were also made years after the movie came out. At least that would be my guess Im not gonna look that poo poo up.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those are the new toys for manchildren collectors. But there were straight up action figures for children back in the day.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I was prime age for Aliens toys when that movie came out and I definitely remember them

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
What'd be funny is if Aliens/Prometheus had McDonald's toys.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

FuturePastNow posted:

I was prime age for Aliens toys when that movie came out and I definitely remember them

I think the ones I posted are actually newer ones but I do also remember seeing a bunch of them in stores when I was a kid. I don't remember which ones were which and just grabbed the first google result tbh

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

a bone to pick posted:

Dude, they made toys Robocop and Spawn and all kinds of poo poo.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Just unboxed my Scarif Gear Jyn Erso action figure

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MrSlam posted:

What'd be funny is if Aliens/Prometheus had McDonald's toys.

Mommy mommy look! I got the snake dildo in my happy meal!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Alien toy commercial, owns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpYMfflioJE

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Geoff Zahn posted:

---

Heard about it through RLM, but I can't remember which video it was mentioned.

Nice, man! It was from one of their earlier HitB videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anod9S2vRNw

Seeking that out reminded me of their short lived "partnership" with Machinima. Fuckin' lol, that was weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Did those alien toys sell well? I can't imagine many kids actually liked that movie, not because its bad but I remember being scared shitless watching the first one when I was a kid.

• Locked thread