Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

wonder if one wouldn't be able to make a facsimile good enough to have people go "oh, neat" by measuring two or more of acidity, electroconductivity, transparency, and color and just training a model to do a guess. there is a lot of sensors which aren't super-expensive which may be good enough to give you a clue of what is what

more fundamentally: it seems really really pointless

this is exactly what it was.

check out the patent filing. there is an array of led/photodiode pairs of various narrowband wavelengths, a capacitance sensor for permittivity measurement, and a temperature sensor for hot/cold. it probably would work well enough to get a "whoa" and a sale using preselected demonstration drinks. then once the coke goes flat and warm it will have no drat idea what is in it.

the really funny thing about these sorts of "products" is that the big boy systems are prior art for the patent application, so they will have to somehow distinguish it from real laboratory or military fluid id systems. I've seen so many of these "smart" device patent apps run face first into ironclad rejections over industrial devices then argue "but ours is on a smartphone/consumer device!" only to get told by the examiner basically "yeah go tell someone who gives a gently caress about that because it ain't me and it ain't the courts. Rejection is maintained and final."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

the really funny thing about these sorts of "products" is that the big boy systems are prior art for the patent application, so they will have to somehow distinguish it from real laboratory or military fluid id systems. I've seen so many of these "smart" device patent apps run face first into ironclad rejections over industrial devices then argue "but ours is on a smartphone/consumer device!" only to get told by the examiner basically "yeah go tell someone who gives a gently caress about that because it ain't me and it ain't the courts. Rejection is maintained and final."

i really appreciate this because, gently caress, smartphone support is not transformative in tyool 201X

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

if only "on the internet" werent either

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
huh, scio is apparently shipping?

same kind of thing, near-IR that marketing rounded up to molecular analyzer

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
if only that cup worked perfectly so i could carry a $200 cup everywhere i plan to drink a liquid. wait, is cum a liquid, or do i need a $200 plate now, too?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
*cums in vessyl*
*vessyl identifies contents as soylent*

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

if only that cup worked perfectly so i could carry a $200 cup everywhere i plan to drink a liquid. wait, is cum a liquid, or do i need a $200 plate now, too?

it'll be labeled as milk but otherwise you'll be fine. Piss is labaled as either champagne or grappa depending on the weather.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'd think just temperature measurement, combined with the time location data from a smart phone that periodically asks questions would make a computer guess pretty well over time. "You're at work, not moving, drinking lovely diet soda again, aren't you?" "You're at Starbucks, monopolizing the padded chair for a second hour, lemme fuckin' guess what is inside me now." "You're in restraints at Frau Horsebender's, what could this 98.6 tablespoon be," etc.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 21, 2017

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

Frau Horsebender's,

m. knight shyamalan has gone too far

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

duTrieux. posted:

i really appreciate this because, gently caress, smartphone support is not transformative in tyool 201X

pretty much. the exception is when it brings up some really strange problems that prior systems don't have to deal with b and they have some neat way to solve it. but that's rapidly getting tapped out because the shear volume of stuff out there about miniaturization and portable system means someone has probably already dealt with the same problem.

what I enjoy seeing are the everything and the kitchen sink applications that were filed by crackpots right when the field started to get exposure and portable computing really started to be a thing (and then abandoned because crackpot). every subject has their own version of it and and they are a goldmine for strange combinations. oh you spent two solid years figuring out a solution to a problem? too bad Jimmy McNutjob happened to mention that same solution in paragraph 816 of his five hundred page rambling epic filed in 2002. I just used one in a rejection today actually.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

*cums in vessyl*
*vessyl identifies contents as soylent*

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Shifty Pony posted:

pretty much. the exception is when it brings up some really strange problems that prior systems don't have to deal with b and they have some neat way to solve it. but that's rapidly getting tapped out because the shear volume of stuff out there about miniaturization and portable system means someone has probably already dealt with the same problem.

what I enjoy seeing are the everything and the kitchen sink applications that were filed by crackpots right when the field started to get exposure and portable computing really started to be a thing (and then abandoned because crackpot). every subject has their own version of it and and they are a goldmine for strange combinations. oh you spent two solid years figuring out a solution to a problem? too bad Jimmy McNutjob happened to mention that same solution in paragraph 816 of his five hundred page rambling epic filed in 2002. I just used one in a rejection today actually.

that's amazing. have any good stories?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

I'd think just temperature measurement, combined with the time location data from a smart phone that periodically asks questions would make a computer guess pretty well over time. "You're at work, not moving, drinking lovely diet soda again, aren't you?" "You're at Starbucks, monopolizing the padded chair for a second hour, lemme fuckin' guess what is inside me now." "You're in restraints at Frau Horsebender's, what could this 98.6 tablespoon be," etc.

just like all such machine learning tasks it'd be impressively accurate for that one guy of regular and healthy habits, while fooling the rest of us into thinking that our coworkers can't tell that you're drunk at work if not even a ~computer~ could figure out you were drinking straight vodka out of your $200 sippy cup

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Why do I need a cup to tell me what I put in it?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

keyboard vomit posted:

Why do I need a cup to tell me what I put in it?
the way it's marketed it's supposed to determine the chemical makeup of the liquid in the container and that will provide nutritional information you wouldn't be able to get otherwise

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Did nutrition labels disappear when I wasn't looking

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

keyboard vomit posted:

those are mandated by the government and thus need to be 'disrupted'

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

keyboard vomit posted:

how are you supposed to know the nutritional content of kombucha or IPA from the tap at your startup employer in SoMA???

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i still erfuse to drink kombucha. it doesn't help that people call it "booch"

ugh

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

keyboard vomit posted:

Those are so Jan 19th, this is a new era of freedom.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

duTrieux. posted:

ugh

it smells so bad but tastes so borderline acceptable

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

duTrieux. posted:

ugh
i've literally never heard it called that, and i live in portland

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

keyboard vomit posted:

that's too hard to track, it's much easier to pour every beverage you drink into a cup that analyzes it and uploads the data to the cloud

an actually slightly useful idea might be an app that takes photos of nutrition labels and ocrs them, does that exist or should i start the kickstarter?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

that's too hard to track, it's much easier to pour every beverage you drink into a cup that analyzes it and uploads the data to the cloud

an actually slightly useful idea might be an app that takes photos of nutrition labels and ocrs them, does that exist or should i start the kickstarter?
there's standards on how nutrition labels are supposed to look, that might not be too hard. lol if you want to target a non-us country though

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm glad for the drink-identifying cup, because too often do i pour coke into my cup only to find out it was actually diarrhea!!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
did we ever discuss adoptly

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

i'm glad for the drink-identifying cup, because too often do i pour coke into my cup only to find out it was actually diarrhea!!

yeah that's the danger of getting pepsi

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

exploded mummy posted:

did we ever discuss adoptly

more like abortly

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

anthonypants posted:

there's standards on how nutrition labels are supposed to look, that might not be too hard. lol if you want to target a non-us country though

you act as if other countries haven't standardised nutrition labels too.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Maluco Marinero posted:

they dont generally seem as well laid out and clear for ocr as us ones

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Maluco Marinero posted:

if you mean where when i buy a bottle of mexican coke in the us it has a sticker from the us distributor, then yes

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

MyFitnessPal lets you enter food by scanning the barcode.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

European nutrition labels seem to have almost no standardization.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
you'd think the eu would have decreed a mandatory eu standard for nutrition labels but i guess not??

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

you'd think the eu would have decreed a mandatory eu standard for nutrition labels but i guess not??

the standard is so long and obtuse that nobody has finished reading it before signing it

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the standard is so long and obtuse that nobody has finished reading it before signing it

wow, keep it to the PL thread

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
fuggin' lol https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/earlyninja/earlyninja-the-platform-revolutionizing-early-acce

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

quote:

Every game accepted onto the EarlyNinja platform will adhere to a detailed roadmap, agreed in advance with one of our experienced team managers or, as we call them, a Sensei, who will project manage the entire process.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
i asked them some genuine questions, curious if they get back to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
I loving hate everything about this.

"Yeah sensei we've got 100% of the graphics, but only 33% of the controls. We know this because it is easy to measure and quantify."

quote:

Here is what influencers from the gaming community think about the current state of Early Access:
*Hurf durf a bunch of youtubers or whatever being their whiny piece of poo poo selves.*

gently caress now I scrolled down to the photo of these incredibly punchable people
Piss

• Locked thread