Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I gotta say the ship designer kind of pisses me off, just because the auto-complete will do really silly things like slap tier 1 disruptors on your ship even if you have T5 railguns that do more shield damage than disruptors do, even after the bonus calculation, on top of higher range, accuracy, and rate of fire. So then I have to manually make every ship how I want it pretty much every time I get a new tech or start a war.

Also, it's extremely annoying how battleships just sit back and hang out. I usually use them as artillery platforms in the first place, but the problem is they have very retarded targeting priority. It gets old when your fleet of sniper battleships is shooting corvettes when there's an enemy battleship 50 units further that would actually be an effective target to shoot. I'd really prefer an EU4 thing where all of that stuff is obfuscated with dice rolls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Larry Parrish posted:

I gotta say the ship designer kind of pisses me off, just because the auto-complete will do really silly things like slap tier 1 disruptors on your ship even if you have T5 railguns that do more shield damage than disruptors do, even after the bonus calculation, on top of higher range, accuracy, and rate of fire. So then I have to manually make every ship how I want it pretty much every time I get a new tech or start a war.

Also, it's extremely annoying how battleships just sit back and hang out. I usually use them as artillery platforms in the first place, but the problem is they have very retarded targeting priority. It gets old when your fleet of sniper battleships is shooting corvettes when there's an enemy battleship 50 units further that would actually be an effective target to shoot. I'd really prefer an EU4 thing where all of that stuff is obfuscated with dice rolls

When was the last time you used the designer? I can't say I've ever noticed it doing this.

I usually go for rail guns as my starting choice and sometimes it will use like mostly railgins and a plasma cannon that is like 1 level below but if I'm on level 1 plasma cannon and level 4 railgun it will be all railguns

The ship roles thing is interesting because it feels inspired by EVE: Online (a game I sadly know too well) and falls into similar traps as they do. Everyone gets that there's a sort of rock, paper, scissors going on in terms of what you bring, but some middle roles become obsolete (a lot of people don't bother with cruisers) and the classes that aren't feel a bit pigeon holed.

The main problem I have with the ship roles at the moment is it actually counter intuitively removes the need for thought about your fleet composition, because once you wrap your head around the idea you actually need a mixture of all ships, you just build mixed fleets.

Personally I just build in a ratio of 1:2:4:8 of Battleship, Cruiser, Destroyer, Corvette. Since this also means that you're spending 8 naval cap on each type you end up with a balanced fleet in terms of naval cap, mineral cost needed and even time.

This combined with the fact that for 90% of the game I just use the auto creator because I see no point in trying to tweak my fleet for every war (which means researching multiple weapon types to the same or similar level) when I can just increase my naval cap and bring more ships by colonising and, eventually, terraforming my space.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 23, 2017

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The auto complete is definitely not the most optimal combination, but focuses on general versatility it feels like. I do have a predilection towards building everything for myself including variants, so I suppose I don't find it as frustrating as you do. It would be nice to just have a one-click category such as, "most damaging energy" "bypasses most defence" and the like, but it might also add needless buttons at the same time that clog up the UI.

If battleships upset you, definitely don't try to count missiles when they're fired against PD, not that you should be using missiles anymore.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, I don't know where this originated from (maybe I just missed it?), but while reading the dev diary thread someone mentioned refugees colonizing available inhabitable worlds as well as fleeing to open empires, and I'm wondering if that's actually a thing that can happen, because if so, that's pretty neat. A new... "Empire" doesn't seem right but "faction" already has a specific term in this game, springing up mid-game, formed from people fleeing tyranny elsewhere, seems like a very good addition to me. Particularly because I like playing good guys, so allying with these groups to protect them and take down their former oppressors is a thing I'd love to pull off in-game.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Roland Jones posted:

So, I don't know where this originated from (maybe I just missed it?), but while reading the dev diary thread someone mentioned refugees colonizing available inhabitable worlds as well as fleeing to open empires, and I'm wondering if that's actually a thing that can happen, because if so, that's pretty neat. A new... "Empire" doesn't seem right but "faction" already has a specific term in this game, springing up mid-game, formed from people fleeing tyranny elsewhere, seems like a very good addition to me. Particularly because I like playing good guys, so allying with these groups to protect them and take down their former oppressors is a thing I'd love to pull off in-game.

Well it was mentioned in the dev diary refugees may even colonise uncolonised planets, so if we assume this means "if there is no empire to flee to they flee to a habitable planet" then there's only two option really. Either they only colonise planets already within borders, in which case they are part of that empire, or they can colonise a planet totally seperate from an empire in which case it would make sense to be their own entity.

I suspect it's the former though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kitchner posted:

Well it was mentioned in the dev diary refugees may even colonise uncolonised planets, so if we assume this means "if there is no empire to flee to they flee to a habitable planet" then there's only two option really. Either they only colonise planets already within borders, in which case they are part of that empire, or they can colonise a planet totally seperate from an empire in which case it would make sense to be their own entity.

Ah, I did miss it then. Alright, thanks. I guess we'll see what it means exactly sooner or later.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 23, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kitchner posted:

Third option: Space Snails colonize a planet in your borders and form a new (empire/side/whatever) messing up your pretty colours and you either deal, vasselize, or murder.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

Third option: Space Snails colonize a planet in your borders and form a new (empire/side/whatever) messing up your pretty colours and you either deal, vasselize, or murder.

That's the equivalent of a load of refugees turning up in like 1800s America, setting up a new town just outside of New York, and then declaring independence.

What I'm saying is if this is a thing that can happen, they are asking to be murdered.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kitchner posted:

That's the equivalent of a load of refugees turning up in like 1800s America, setting up a new town just outside of New York, and then declaring independence.

What I'm saying is if this is a thing that can happen, they are asking to be murdered.
It's more like landing on an uninhabited island but yes :murder: would still be the probable result. I'd like all possible options to happen because more things mean more fun.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Be honest; how long does it take to do such a thing?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/823525047084138496

ALL THESE WORLDS
ARE YOURS EXCEPT
EUROPA
ATTEMPT NO
LANDING THERE
USE THEM TOGETHER
USE THEM IN PEACE

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Are the dudes in that orbital even human at this point? They'd be soaking up some gigantic amounts of radiation that close.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Are orbitals going to function as though they were colonies? Interesting approach to going tall if so.

Of course, they're fundamentally more vulnerable than colonies, so you'd also require them to give you naval capacity too.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Heck yeah

IDOLA
Sep 17, 2005

:-)
Cannot wait until the Colony Drop event gets added.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Party Plane Jones posted:

Are the dudes in that orbital even human at this point? They'd be soaking up some gigantic amounts of radiation that close.

They are protected by Future Tech, which is the Sci fi equivalent of "a wizard did it".

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

good destroy all humans

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I wonder how this will interact with the Sylandro-alike events? Put an orbital above their worlds, how will they react?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Why are flag emblems gold, and not user-colourable? This is confusing and angering me.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really hope fleets won't auto target orbitals the way they aggressively attack mining bases. In fact removing the weapons from the mines would be a great idea because they don't do anything except screw over civilian ships.

Kitchner posted:

They are protected by Future Tech, which is the Sci fi equivalent of "Wiz did it".

Donowitz
Feb 26, 2012

The walls of the orbital are just full of... lead or something, that stops xrays, right? You're safe from radiation but don't lick the walls.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

roll mining/research/observation stations into an omnistation with module slots :hai:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Bloodly posted:

Be honest; how long does it take to do such a thing?

Took about 10 minutes in paint, though to be fair I had that screenshot already and only had to change six words.

Orv
May 4, 2011

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/823525047084138496

ALL THESE WORLDS
ARE YOURS EXCEPT
EUROPA
ATTEMPT NO
LANDING THERE
USE THEM TOGETHER
USE THEM IN PEACE

Except because this is a Paradox game the monolith aliens would show up and get murdered for fun.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Skipping cruisers just seems insane to me. They're amazing. Combine plasma throwers with kinetic artillery and you will murder just about everything.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I like autocannons since it turns combat into a giant clusterfuck of bullets filling every square inch.

Also wish there was a way to see if my fighters are doing anything versus enemy ships, dosnt look like the after battle report tracks them.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

ProfessorCirno posted:

Skipping cruisers just seems insane to me. They're amazing. Combine plasma throwers with kinetic artillery and you will murder just about everything.

Because they run in an brawl they have high attrition rates, whereas your battleships sit at the back pounding everything with long range guns, and they aren't cheap and easy to replace like corvettes are. If cruisers were a bit more survivable then maybe.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
My Cruisers have all M slots and every slot is filled with the 100% accuracy 100% tracking Void Cloud lighting gun. They charge ahead and absolutely destroy the enemy fleet's smaller ships while leaving the screen for my battleships intact.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Yadoppsi posted:

My Cruisers have all M slots and every slot is filled with the 100% accuracy 100% tracking Void Cloud lighting gun. They charge ahead and absolutely destroy the enemy fleet's smaller ships while leaving the screen for my battleships intact.

My favorite cruiser so far has been the all-M Swarmer Missile boat. Probably not very effective, but your point defense can gently caress /right/ off.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Missiles are trash.
Also I'm intensely curious about orbitals.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wiz posted:

There is exactly 0% chance that the ship designer is ever getting cut. Asides from the fact that I personally enjoy it, it's both a 4x staple and something that a lot of people want (we have metrics on this).

What about the ground game?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why is xenomorph army strength dependent on the physical strength of the species living on the planet you train them at? Do they need to be able to use a leash and take them for walkies? :psyduck:

Or is it a horribly mutated creature based on the species?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What about the ground game?

The army system is basically guaranteed a rework. I really, really don't like the pointless micro.

Poil posted:

Why is xenomorph army strength dependent on the physical strength of the species living on the planet you train them at? Do they need to be able to use a leash and take them for walkies? :psyduck:

Xenomorphs working like a regular army is kind of nonsense to begin with, honestly. They'd be better suited to some sort of infiltration/sabotage mechanic (or dropping a swarm of them to depopulate a planet).

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Poil posted:

They're using the species there as a genetic baseline to be mutated into Xenomorph? Or, if you go full 'Alien', they're the initial hosts.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

The army system is basically guaranteed a rework. I really, really don't like the pointless micro.

Yeah, the ground system is a bit silly. I like conducting invasions, but two things about Stellaris' system are immensely frustrating to me: First, the way you have to add attachements to every single army click by click. Second, the way a general can only be attached to a single army, because that makes no goddamn sense. Is that general actually influencing all armies on the same planet as he is, (which would be dumb, but at least not make them a waste) or is he actually only controlling that one army he is put in? For some reason I get headaches trying to find out how this is supposed to work.

Allowing us to have Army Groups as an equivalent to Fleets and the ability to add attachments to multiple armies at the same time (like, maybe over a Army Group interface?) would neutralize a lot of what is wrong with the army system.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

Xenomorphs working like a regular army is kind of nonsense to begin with, honestly. They'd be better suited to some sort of infiltration/sabotage mechanic (or dropping a swarm of them to depopulate a planet).

Yeah I'd love to see more poo poo like that. Make it a bio-weapon and it's use make you both hated and feared. Also a chance of the whole situation getting away from you.
Also tell me about all the orbitals plz

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I'd love to see more poo poo like that. Make it a bio-weapon and it's use make you both hated and feared. Also a chance of the whole situation getting away from you.
Also tell me about all the orbitals plz

Okay, I will.

... on Thursday.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

does that mean ill be able to drop chrysallids on planets to sow terror in my enemies

Im okay with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Making invasions more event-based like CK2 sieges would be cool. I want to hear about how in spite of my limited bombardment campaign one of my cruisers accidentally glassed an entire university and now the entire academic population is actively working against us.

Get rid of armies entirely, make invasions a fleet function (complete with certain modules that are more effective against planets), and make the actual invasion more fun through events.

• Locked thread