Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Big Centipede posted:

I'm interested in Moon Knight. What tpbs should I look for?

Ellis' run (From the Dead) is short and sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And then move to the new ones by Jeff Lemire.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Ellis' run (From the Dead) is short and sweet.

Is it just the one book?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yup. He only did six issues. The series continues with Brian Wood and then Cullen Bunn, and now there's a new one by Lemire.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yup. He only did six issues. The series continues with Brian Wood and then Cullen Bunn, and now there's a new one by Lemire.

Is that worth reading?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So. I read probably 2-4 volumes of Hellboy and I didn't like it. I want to give it another try since so many people like it.

What is the best way to read this? I assume the library editions?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Big Centipede posted:

Is that worth reading?

I can only speak to Ellis and Lemire. Yep to both.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

For recent Moon Knight I'd read everything from Ellis, Wood, Bunn, and Lemire. That encompasses all 17 issues of the previous series and the 10 issues so far of the current series. You can, and should, go back further to the originals but for recent events the two most recent books are good enough.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

obi_ant posted:

So. I read probably 2-4 volumes of Hellboy and I didn't like it. I want to give it another try since so many people like it.

Yeah, probably.

If you don't like it by the end of the fifth volume, issue 20 (I think, the naming and numbering gets confusing), Conqueror Worm, it's not for you. Hell, if you aren't into it by the end of the second or third trade, it's not for you.

(I would recommend people to read at least two trades as the first one is a little rough)

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

obi_ant posted:

The one with the monkey in it.

Hellboy: The Right Hand of Doom is the collected stories and is pretty awesome. It's a bunch of prequels basically.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How is the Dynamite reboot of the Shadow?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

How is the Dynamite reboot of the Shadow?

I read the first volume -- "The Fires of Creation" by Garth Ennis, and it left me cold. Slow-paced, boring, and immediately forgettable. I was expecting more from the guy who wrote Preacher and the best Punisher ever.

I also like The Shadow and the other pulp heroes, or at least I want to. I love their street-level heroics and retro aesthetics, but the comics so often leave me cold. I loved Howard Chaykin's Shadow: Blood and Judgment miniseries and enjoyed the very weird Helfer/Sienkiewicz/Baker Shadow series that followed in the '80s, and Helfer and Baker's Justice Inc. was cool back then too. But I couldn't get into DC's First Wave at all (aside from the first Batman/Doc Savage one-shot, with gorgeous Phil Noto art), and none of the Dynamite stuff does anything for me, even the Parker/Shaner Flash Gordon.

Oh, I did enjoy Matt Wagner's Grendel/Shadow crossover, but I'm a sucker for Wagner doing Hunter Rose Grendel stories. It was very stylish, violent, and cool.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I'm not sure where to put this but I recommend that everybody reading this thread read the new flintstones line. It's outstanding.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's also this lovely collection of Doug Moench writin' Moon Knight https://www.amazon.ca/Moon-Knight-E...nch+moon+knight

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I'm not sure where to put this but I recommend that everybody reading this thread read the new flintstones line. It's outstanding.

Hell yeah, my favorite new line from last year. Though to be fair, the current new stuff in the Archie line is p baller too.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is the movie Logan based on anything?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

obi_ant posted:

Not directly, though it looks like it's going to draw parts from Old Man Logan and X-23's origin. But none of the X-Men have been very close adaptions of any particular story line.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's also some outback-era X-Men influence what with the Reavers being in there, but there's not really any particular story to point to.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah the old Man Logan comic is like Hawkeye and Wolverine take a road trip through the post-apocalyptic Marvel Universe, and pretty much every big Marvel character guest stars. Fox don't have the rights to any of that poo poo except the FF, which is toxic right now, so it's probably not going to be very similar at all.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah the old Man Logan comic is like Hawkeye and Wolverine take a road trip through the post-apocalyptic Marvel Universe, and pretty much every big Marvel character guest stars. Fox don't have the rights to any of that poo poo except the FF, which is toxic right now, so it's probably not going to be very similar at all.

Don't forget inbred Hulk peoples with hovercrafts.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Don't forget inbred Hulk peoples with hovercrafts.

Yes yes, and a Venom T-Rex. But Fox doesn't have the rights to any of it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Thank god

Maurice Augustus
Nov 27, 2011

H-hey, just ordered my first batch of comics and already thinking about another one. I'm looking forward especially to these:

Uzumaki, Gyo - I'm kinda iffy regarding black-and-white but at the same time looking forward to the promise of horror and insanity.
Invisible Republic, Ex Machina - I like the political themes but am not sure about superhero stuff. However premise of hero running for mayor seems really interesting.
Prison Pit vol. 5 - Usually I shun from poop-jokes and similar but this seems to be strange enough for me to enjoy. The preview with the guy injecting cat semen for pleasure got me.
Panther - Colourful yet sinister? Hints at child abuse? Sign me up please.
Crossed: Wish You Were Here - I remember reading this online. What's strange is it didn't appear on any recommendation lists I based my selection on. I guess many reviewers consider webcomics inferior... But anyhoo I loved the character focus, didn't mind the violence either.
Magneto Testament - Again, superhero but several guys said it doesn't really read like one. It's supposed to depict the camps like the were, so this should be very interesting read.
Derelict http://derelictcomic.com/ - I really, really loved the setting and story of the first book. It is fresh and original.
and last, I was looking for, but didn't find yet something great with sci-fi lovecraftian setting.

Could you please recommend further reading?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gently Caress posted:

H-hey, just ordered my first batch of comics and already thinking about another one. I'm looking forward especially to these:

Ex Machina - I like the political themes but am not sure about superhero stuff. However premise of hero running for mayor seems really interesting.

I hope you like terrible politics. Also don't read the last volume. The story is better for it.

In terms of comics what else have you read? There's a ton of great non-superhero stuff out there, especially in the 90s Vertigo line and the more recent Image comics.

You should definitely check out Locke and Key if you like distubing stuff mixed with fantastical elements.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Invisible Republic is a good book. Also the art is top notch.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

obi_ant posted:

The Last of Us

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I hope you like terrible politics. Also don't read the last volume. The story is better for it.

The art is worse.

pancreatic cancer
Jul 27, 2010
what are the best hulk stories from the "hulk smash" era, i.e. when he was just stupid as gently caress and angry all the time. i've read all the peter david issues and it was good but he's never really stupid very much in it. i want him dumb as hell and just punching the poo poo out of modok or whatever. thanks.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

pancreatic cancer posted:

what are the best hulk stories from the "hulk smash" era, i.e. when he was just stupid as gently caress and angry all the time. i've read all the peter david issues and it was good but he's never really stupid very much in it. i want him dumb as hell and just punching the poo poo out of modok or whatever. thanks.

Mogol.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

pancreatic cancer posted:

It'd be the Bronze Age runs by guys like Roy Thomas and Steve Englehart when Hulk would fight the likes of the Bi-Beast, the Glob, the Missing Link, Rhino, Sandman and Juggernaut. There's a Roy Thomas / Herb Trimpe story I really like where Hulk fights the Absorbing Man, and that's Hulk #125, so maybe in and around that era.

Bill Mantlo Hulk is pretty good as well. He was on the book from 1980 through 1985, so there's a lot of stuff from him. The peak of it is probably Hulk #300 where Hulk fights the Avengers in New York City.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Wheat Loaf posted:

the Bi Beast

please don't bring me into this, i'm trying to move on with my life.

anway - do you guys have some cool Doom stuff you can recommend? i've been digging the hell out of infamous iron man and need a fix.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lovechop posted:

please don't bring me into this, i'm trying to move on with my life.

anway - do you guys have some cool Doom stuff you can recommend? i've been digging the hell out of infamous iron man and need a fix.

Doom 2099, Torment & Triumph, Marvel Adventures: Spider-Man #9

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fantastic Four #57-60.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Brubaker's Books of Doom is a pretty drat good modernized version of Doom's origin story.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Lurdiak posted:

Brubaker's Books of Doom is a pretty drat good modernized version of Doom's origin story.

This was super good, thanks for the recommendation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Washout posted:

This was super good, thanks for the recommendation.

No problem!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

I adore everything Brubaker but think these are particularly good. Seconding this.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
New to the thread, and curious about any recommendations.

I am a huge fan of League of the Extraordinary Gentlemen and really liked the Umbrella Corporation. Interested in more team comics with conflicting characters that reference or reflect more popular comic/historical/or famous characters in fiction.

I know it's a little bit of a long shot, but hopefully something is out there to grab my interest.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My friend, lemme tell you about the Hellboy universe. BPRD is right up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'd suggest Planetary as well