Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

vyst posted:

Lol what?

Moment was poo poo and had a problem where they froze until they ran out of battery and couldn't be turned back on.

That pile of poo poo Sprint had for the GS1 didn't have Froyo for like a year and had a sleep-of-death issue that would render the phone inoperable short of pulling the battery and restarting.

Nexus S was kind of the high water mark when you measure the phone against the standards of the time so I guess I can't say it was a whole decade of poo poo.

The GNex was the best outside the Nexus S, but suffered battery issues so bad that Sprint had to send out free replacement high-capacity batteries which turned the phone into a fatass but solved the lack of battery life by tacking like an extra 30% mAh on there.

The follow-up galaxy S series continued to suffer from more and more bloat in touchwhiz ('life assistant' with piss sounds for notifications was the GS5 I think?) and only started backing off on the garbage with the GS6 and 7 but then the Note 7, ah, bombed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

FAUXTON posted:

I mean I'd feel better about Samsung after that ad if it weren't for the almost decade of total poo poo I'd seen from them beforehand.

Bet their batteries wouldn't have exploded if they didn't have touchwhiz.

It could have been built into an iPhone and still lit up because Samsung engineers are horrible pieces of poo poo that got the job because their family is deeply entrenched in the corporation hierarchy.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Healbot posted:

It could have been built into an iPhone and still lit up because Samsung engineers are horrible pieces of poo poo that got the job because their family is deeply entrenched in the corporation hierarchy.

Hell don't they have fire problems with other appliances too?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Healbot posted:

That's a pretty loving terrible thing to say, Samsung is an enormous international operation, I know a number of their engineers myself and none of them fall into that category. It's just a phone, calm the gently caress down.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Google Voice updates.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/23/14356262/google-voice-update-redesign-new-features-android-ios

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I hope it's another app

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Installed the new APK and wait, why the gently caress would I go back to Voice considering I have the T-mobile walmart plan? Hangouts integration works ok for me and I spend most of my time on wifi. If I'm out, the data usage for a call is negligible.

Some key points from the "Switch back to Google Voice from Hangouts" help doc :lol:

quote:

Get texts & voicemails in Google Voice
You can get your texts and voicemails in either Google Voice or Hangouts.

Hangouts and Google Voice have the same text messaging features:

Send texts to groups
Send photos in text messages
See all your texts organized by contact

quote:

Switch back to Google Voice for texts & voicemails
If you switch back to using Google Voice for your texts and voicemail, here's what happens:

The texts you send and receive in Hangouts won't show up in Google Voice
Your voicemails will show up in Google Voice, marked as unread

quote:

When you make Google Voice calls using Google Voice:

Google Voice uses your airtime minutes, which can be useful if you have a plan with unlimited minutes.
Standard airtime rates apply, based on your phone plan.

quote:

When you make Google Voice calls using Hangouts:

Hangouts uses your internet connection or mobile data, which can be useful if you have a plan with unlimited data.

air- fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 23, 2017

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

air- posted:

Installed the new APK and wait, why the gently caress would I go back to Voice considering I have the T-mobile walmart plan? Hangouts integration works ok for me.

Some key points from the "Switch back to Google Voice from Hangouts" help doc :lol:

Voice now has group messaging, but now there's another messaging app? Did they move SMS with Voice back to hangouts what is happening

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Voice now has group messaging, but now there's another messaging app? Did they move SMS with Voice back to hangouts what is happening

Grabbed the update off https://www.apkmirror.com and in a nutshell... if you have a Google Voice number, you either use Voice or use Hangouts. And well, yeah that is nice to have flexibility depending on how many minutes/data you have on your plan.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Got the GF a Nexus 9 for video watching. Short of a Shield Tab or a Tegra Note, what other tabs have forward facing speakers?

Got a lightly used 32G, pretty much mint one with the BT keyboard case for $240 off Swappa and the thing is pretty sweet. Not sure where all the hate comes from even though the aspect ratio is a bit odd and it does have a bit of that light bleed but nowhere near the level that is as bad as some seem to say it is.

That and it is getting updates still directly from Google which is nice.

Also I Finally reloaded Pure Nexus on my 6P. Stock 7.1.1 was really good but man the few tweaks that PN bring are fantastic and the phone continues to keep me happy that I don't feel the need to upgrade like I had with the previous two devices (G3, EVO LTE, back before).

7.1.1 really does feel polished for Android, it just seems like it took them forever to get to this point but finally Android does feel like a Polished Experience that iPhone (and really, Windows Phone 7/8 (not 10 yet)) has had for a while.

If you have a Nexus, you really should check out PN as it isn't a super custom hodgepodge Rom, but one that keeps updated with security updates every month, and also has all the Pixel software features while still keeping the phone a Nexus. (Not spoofing as a Pixel like most of the mods).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VOIP calling is cool and good because it's generally higher sound quality but man it can really highlight the second-to-second inconsistencies with data signal stability.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
<<< Holy poo poo, my first avatar ever and it's oh so perfect! Thanks, Android thread :D

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ok, that's actually pretty funny.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

air- posted:

Installed the new APK and wait, why the gently caress would I go back to Voice considering I have the T-mobile walmart plan? Hangouts integration works ok for me and I spend most of my time on wifi. If I'm out, the data usage for a call is negligible.

At least as of right now, you can still use both voice and hangouts. Hangouts uses data, while voice uses minutes. When you install google voice it gives you the option to make calls via your phone's built in dialer app using google voice, so you can ALWAYS ensure that outbound calls are using your gvoice number, even if you don't have data access and need to use minutes instead of data.

I just made a test call using the built in dialer, and it went via my gvoice number, then did the same call with hangouts and didn't use minutes but used my gvoice number.

You just can't use the gvoice application to dial or sms someone unless you unhook gvoice from hangouts (why would you do this though).

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

AlexF posted:

<<< Holy poo poo, my first avatar ever and it's oh so perfect! Thanks, Android thread :D

That's one of the few examples of a custom avatar that's actually really funny.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
So ever since the latest OS update, my Galaxy Nexus's WiFi has stopped reconnecting when it temporarily loses the network's signal. This means, for example, if I connect to the MTA WiFi in NYC I have to manually reconnect every single time the train hits a new station, whereas before my phone would reconnect automatically. I'm pretty sure that this has to do with the update since I haven't changed anything else about the phone. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so is there a setting change or app that would fix this so it works as before?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Get a new phone, the Galaxy Nexus is ancient.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

OSheaman posted:

So ever since the latest OS update, my Galaxy Nexus's WiFi has stopped reconnecting when it temporarily loses the network's signal. This means, for example, if I connect to the MTA WiFi in NYC I have to manually reconnect every single time the train hits a new station, whereas before my phone would reconnect automatically. I'm pretty sure that this has to do with the update since I haven't changed anything else about the phone. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so is there a setting change or app that would fix this so it works as before?

OSheaman posted:

So ever since the latest OS update, my Galaxy Nexus's WiFi

OSheaman posted:

latest OS update, my Galaxy Nexus's

The latest Galaxy Nexus update was years ago. Do you mean a custom weird ROM in that case, :sever:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

OSheaman posted:

lol, how long ago was the "latest os update"?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Get a new phone, the Galaxy Nexus is ancient.

Not to pick on you at all, but I hate this attitude. If it works for him normally then why would he need a new one?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Not to pick on you at all, but I hate this attitude. If it works for him normally then why would he need a new one?

You can pick on me any time. ;)

It's not an attitude worth hating. Clearly, it is not working for him. That's why he's posting here. The Galaxy Nexus was released in 2011. It's time for a new phone.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ratbert90 posted:

The best reason to upgrade from the Galaxy Nexus (a phone from 2011 btw) is because Google does not actively support its phones for more than two, maybe three years. The latest OS update, at least officially, was three or four years ago and while some changes can be pushed via Play Services updates, security patches cannot.

Reasons 2-9999 to upgrade would be that you can get a much better experience from today's phones for not a whole lot of money.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

It's insecure, and clearly since they're posting here it's also not working properly. It's super old and stuff is going to fail (amazing it took this long), which is a sign that it's time for a new one.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Taffer posted:

It's insecure, and clearly since they're posting here it's also not working properly. It's super old and stuff is going to fail (amazing it took this long), which is a sign that it's time for a new one.

I understand it's old, but it seems like the only thing that has "failed" is a minor annoyance?

My PC is from 2011, I sure as hell have no intention of replacing it anytime soon. :shrug:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

My PC is from 2011, I sure as hell have no intention of replacing it anytime soon. :shrug:
Yeah but that still gets security updates, so that's a terrible comparison.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

It clearly doesn't work for him.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

I understand it's old, but it seems like the only thing that has "failed" is a minor annoyance?

loving seriously? You're comparing the maturity of the PC market with the maturity of the smartphone market? Come on.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Healbot posted:

What? Don't be dumb.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

PC hardware is super mature and is progressing very slowly these days, and 6 year old hardware can very easily run any of the latest (and most secure) software. Phones are still progressing very fast (and were way more so in 2011), they're cheap and go through way more punishment than a computer, and both in hardware and software are made to obsolesce and be replaced in 2-3 years. Old phones can only run old software unless you employ unreliable and very insecure third-party hacks, which you shouldn't.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Phones are way, way too expensive to treat as disposable technology but that's how the whole entire mobile phone market wants us to treat them so you're kind of stuck with either doing that, or making more and more compromises in the name of keeping your "ancient" phone on the right side of just barely functioning.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Taffer posted:

PC hardware is super mature and is progressing very slowly these days, and 6 year old hardware can very easily run any of the latest (and most secure) software. Phones are still progressing very fast (and were way more so in 2011), they're cheap and go through way more punishment than a computer, and both in hardware and software are made to obsolesce and be replaced in 2-3 years. Old phones can only run old software unless you employ unreliable and very insecure third-party hacks, which you shouldn't.

I just come from the embedded world were products generally have a 10-year life cycle. I know security is a huge concern which sucks, but the automatic answer of "Replace your phone" is just grating.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Also the Galaxy Nexus was terrible even when it was new.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

docbeard posted:

Phones are way, way too expensive to treat as disposable technology but that's how the whole entire mobile phone market wants us to treat them so you're kind of stuck with either doing that, or making more and more compromises in the name of keeping your "ancient" phone on the right side of just barely functioning.

I disagree with this, and I was one of the people laughing at the price of the new Pixels. Phones are the ultimate Swiss army knives of current generations. They can do amazing things. Spending $200-300 once every two years is not "way too expensive" for what you get. Do you need to go out and buy the latest and greatest $800 phone every year? No, but you shouldn't be keeping your $400 phone for 5 years either.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'm looking to get a new phone to replace my Moto X and I don't really care about having ~the latest and greatest~ flagship. Is the HTC 10 any good? What about the S7?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm just confused why the sudden need to trouble shoot this now. It's been over two years since the last GNex update. If you've been dealing with the problem that long, surely it's not a major problem.

In any case, the really only thing to be done is a full wipe and flash with the factory images. It's scorched earth, but that's probably the only thing that has a possibility of solving it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

docbeard posted:

Every year I sell my phone and buy a new one. The new Pixel cost $700 (it's an outlier) but all the new Nexus or Moto phones were around $300-400. You could easily sell last years phone on CL or Swappa for 2/3rd of that and get a new phone for maybe $150. $10 a month for something you interact with more than nearly any other object you own isn't a huge amount especially when the jump each year has been considerable.

Even know, I'll sell my Pixel for around $450 and get next years Pixel for $250, which even at $22/mount is nothing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I'm looking to get a new phone to replace my Moto X and I don't really care about having ~the latest and greatest~ flagship. Is the HTC 10 any good? What about the S7?

Get a Pixel or a Nexus5x or 6p. There's almost no reason for anything else. A MotoG is the only other budget option.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

One Plus 3t is good.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nitrousoxide posted:

One Plus 3t is good.

Stop saying this objectively wrong thing please. It's only good in the world where there aren't better alternatives.