Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

COOL CORN posted:

Second hand from a guy.

Can I also get to know this guy and buy some more of his games for uber cheap?.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How is Unconditional Surrender as a first hex--and-counter game? I jumped into the P500 based on you all raving about its (relative) simplicity. The rulebook still looks miles more complicated than the next-most-complicated game I've ever played, though (probably Cube Libre or Mage Knight).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Huxley posted:

How is Unconditional Surrender as a first hex--and-counter game? I jumped into the P500 based on you all raving about its (relative) simplicity. The rulebook still looks miles more complicated than the next-most-complicated game I've ever played, though (probably Cube Libre or Mage Knight).

It's my favorite full-ETO game that's out there, and plays incredibly simply for as much as it has going on.
The scenario book even has three training scenarios that hold your hand through learning the basics and tells you which rules sections you'll need as you go.

I'm playing through a solo game right now, and am 16 turns in (Jan '41)
https://gfycat.com/PoisedUnimportantEland

France has fallen and Barbarossa is kicking off! I love this game.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Unconditional Surrender looks cool, but I prefer my grand hex-counter games with soul-crushing numbers of counters.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
That feeling you get when you enter a survey and win a Hozan parts case box and a poo poo ton of dividers :smuggo:

Now for Wing Leaders Supremacy to arrive... :argh:

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

Unconditional Surrender looks cool, but I prefer my grand hex-counter games with soul-crushing numbers of counters.

Shame about the map, too.

Some of those impassable hexes seem pretty bizarre. Southern Sweden is a trackless hellscape to rival the Sahara? One half of the Peloponnese? But I CAN butt my way through the Pripet marshes as I please?

I wonder if it would work to play US on the Totaler Krieg map...

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

On a different track, has anyone tried Balance of Powers?

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

anti_strunt posted:

I wonder if it would work to play US on the Totaler Krieg map...

Unit density would probably be too low I'm guessing, especially in the peripheral theaters. I know some of the impassable areas represent supply and logistics constraints more than physical impossibility.

This post did make me wish someone would make US with option cards instead of the US production/diplo system. I would pay large amounts of money for that game.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

When the map is zoomed out far enough to show all of Europe in the space of a few feet, I think point-to-point makes more sense than hex.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

CaptainRightful posted:

When the map is zoomed out far enough to show all of Europe in the space of a few feet, I think point-to-point makes more sense than hex.

I agree with this, but no one will buy your game if you can't perform huge encirclements as the Germans (even though most encirclements were below the scale of these games)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

blackmongoose posted:

Unit density would probably be too low I'm guessing, especially in the peripheral theaters. I know some of the impassable areas represent supply and logistics constraints more than physical impossibility.

This post did make me wish someone would make US with option cards instead of the US production/diplo system. I would pay large amounts of money for that game.

Yeah, basically the impassable areas are designed so that these areas don't require enormous amounts of land units committed to defend them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yeah the USE map is designed really well for a low-density game. It wouldn't work if Norway or w/e wasn't just a single channel. The perspective of the map is weird but it makes sense once you see it in action.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
The designer of the game is a cartographer, the weird map projection was chosen to work for the unit density and scale. It's all pretty clever. Great game, I might even play it one day!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Just got the latest GMT email update. LOL if you were waiting for the annual sale. How these guys ever get it together to actually publish anything is beyond me.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Just got the latest GMT email update. LOL if you were waiting for the annual sale. How these guys ever get it together to actually publish anything is beyond me.

I mean, there's nothing coming out in the first half of this year tha I want from them, so...

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I finally got Liberty or Death yesterday. Good poo poo. I played a game as all the factions, and I can see it being a pretty tense game for 4. France ended up winning; I don't really think there's any problem with them not having enough to do, but I can see that criticism for the Indians. I like the emphasis on pitched battles, in that you can cause a lot of casualties and win a lot of free support/opposition from them.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

This new P500 Civilization-a-like looks like my jam: https://www.gmtgames.com/p-624-ancient-civilizations-of-the-inner-sea.aspx

Pity there aren't many details on how it plays, although I imagine it is ages away from production anyway.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
It seems like they announce three P500s for every one they actually release each month. I've had six pledges in for over eighteen months and at some point they're gonna have to ship some of these loving things.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

It seems like they announce three P500s for every one they actually release each month. I've had six pledges in for over eighteen months and at some point they're gonna have to ship some of these loving things.

Well if two of them are fields of fire volumes 1 / 2 - LOL

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Apocalypse Road looks very dumb, but the kind of dumb that I love. It would be cool to have something like Car Wars but without all the overhead.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

Apocalypse Road looks very dumb, but the kind of dumb that I love. It would be cool to have something like Car Wars but, like, actually a good game.

:agreed:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I still have a weird love for Car Wars, but yeah I won't argue that it's a good game or anything.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

Apocalypse Road looks very dumb, but the kind of dumb that I love. It would be cool to have something like Car Wars but without all the overhead.

What tipped you off? For me it was the skull and crossbread.

e: Also someone should cannibalize Talon to create a new, good Car Wars.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

I still have a weird love for Car Wars, but yeah I won't argue that it's a good game or anything.

Don't get me wrong, I clicked all the P500 clicks that needed clicking and then some when I saw Apocalypse Road.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Apocalypse Road looks bad and cool and I'm thinking about buying it. That Pike and Shot two pack has me thinking about costing future me $51 + shipping, even though I'm unlikely to ever play it (I'm a sucker for the 17th century but I have few friends who will tolerate 17th century stuff or wargames stuff, let alone both at the same time).

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Ropes4u posted:

Well if two of them are fields of fire volumes 1 / 2 - LOL

Vol. I reprint. : (

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
What are people's thoughts on Operation Dauntless? I know that Tek loves Red Winter, but no tanks = no buy. Anyone have an opinion on its more tanky successor?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I only laugh because I to am waiting for both volumes.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

tomdidiot posted:

What are people's thoughts on Operation Dauntless? I know that Tek loves Red Winter, but no tanks = no buy. Anyone have an opinion on its more tanky successor?

Red Winter has tanks.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ropes4u posted:

I only laugh because I to am waiting for both volumes.

Is this some kind of elaborate suicide attempt or

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Panzeh posted:

Red Winter has tanks.

It has 3 tank platoons. Meh.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MikeCrotch posted:

"elaborate"

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

My eternal search for a game I will play solo brought me to this point. I should probably just solo my current games but..

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

tomdidiot posted:

I think it's super cool but I haven't actually played it with anybody yet. I gather that it's a lot more complicated than Red Winter, FWIW.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
After getting GBII for a song, I just traded a game I don't play for a copy of Enemy at the Gates. My OCS collection is growing :getin:

I just need to score a cheap Case Blue

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

At least that one is no longer in the back of the queue and should* actually come out this spring/summer!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

rchandra posted:

At least that one is no longer in the back of the queue and should* actually come out this spring/summer!

Your boundless and incorruptible optimism is what the world needs in these dark and troubling times

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The LoD bots are pretty good. I played the long scenario as British and figured it wouldn't be too hard, but I kept getting stomped by the Franco-American doomstack running around New England. By the end the AI was laying siege to New York! :eek:

A lot of interesting dynamics in this game, I'd really like to play it with 4 people arguing over priorities.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

So is Liberty or Death better as a 2-player game then? Kinda sounds like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

So is Liberty or Death better as a 2-player game then? Kinda sounds like it.

Some YouTuber said that it works really well as a 4 player game as long as the players are willing to trust their allies and bargain with them for what gets played. Indians and French aren't going to be doing gigantic operations so I guess they might be bored in that regard, but they both play important roles and have a good chance to win.