Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Does party mode save progress for both people? The downfall of souls coop was having to do areas multiple times for each player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe this is just beyond my reflexes and hand-eye coordination, I have seen him do his sheathed attack 100 times at this point and I still can only avoid it like 1 time out of 10, and if he lands it once i'm basically dead.

For people who have beaten Bloodborne, is Nioh comparable in difficulty or harder or easier? I mean, I beat Bloodborne

The combat is deeper, but the game has a ton of features and mechanics that bloodborne didn't. At first that makes it harder, but once you learn it... well, its still hard. Its so lethal. But... I love that?

IMO its like playing a souls game or bloodborne for the first time having no experience in them before. You die A LOT at the beginning, even with hundreds of hours in every souls game I got my teeth kicked in. But a few hours later I was king samurai of the mountain. The combat really feels very fair, maybe even more fair than Souls. Its less about exploiting the weaknesses of the mechanics (dead angle backstabs and poo poo) and more about careful timing and having a strategy and the skill of your weapon.

Its hard to compare them. I would say solo Nioh is a bit harder maybe, especially with optional Twilight hard difficulty missions. But Nioh also has additional co-op mechanics that bloodborne didn't, which makes it way way easier. So you can do both however you want.

Bombadilillo posted:

Does party mode save progress for both people? The downfall of souls coop was having to do areas multiple times for each player.

YES! That's something I love. If you do it souls style and just summon a phantom then only the host gets credit, but if you do the "yokai realm with a companion" (everything has bad translations) then you both get full progress and rewards. Its great. You can also bring each other back to life if you die!

If you want to just play Nioh with a friend, that's definitely the way to go. You don't have to stop and re-summon each other ever; you stay in a party. Even if you fail the mission, you stay together, and start over as a party together right away. No soapstones!

The change is since that makes things so much easier, you have to do the level in a single go. No saving at shrines/bonfires. But shrines do give you bonuses, and refill your party meter. (see the Nioh thread for more details https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773772)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 23, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

YES! That's something I love. If you do it souls style and just summon a phantom then only the host gets credit, but if you do the "yokai realm with a companion" (everything has bad translations) then you both get full progress and rewards. Its great. You can also bring each other back to life if you die!

If you want to just play Nioh with a friend, that's definitely the way to go. You don't have to stop and re-summon each other ever; you stay in a party. Even if you fail the mission, you stay together, and start over as a party together right away. No soapstones!

The change is since that makes things so much easier, you have to do the level in a single go. No saving at shrines/bonfires. But shrines do give you bonuses, and refill your party meter. (see the Nioh thread for more details https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773772)

I had no idea, this literally just sold the game for me.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zaphod42 posted:

but the other you actually form a party and you can rez party members if they die!

This is straight up the best part of this game. I've wanted a true co-op mode in Souls games for years.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TaurusOxford posted:

This is straight up the best part of this game. I've wanted a true co-op mode in Souls games for years.

Yeah same. Its really such a pain having to re-summon constantly. Oh hey, we made it to a bonfire, I guess I'll kill myself so the host can save at the bonfire, and then he can warp back and get me to this bonfire, then he can summon me at this bonfire again in his world and THEN we can continue to progress.... :v:

It really feels like From Soft never wanted you to play Souls games with friends. Demon's Souls only let you play with random people, and that was the intention, like Journey. But... souls games are so drat fun with friends! So they slowly made some concessions to make that easier, in DS2 and DS3 and Bloodborne you can actually play with friends reliably. But... its still clunky.

Team Ninja actually sat down and said "how can we do this better?" and I'm so happy they did. And the best part: If you think this is stupid, you can still play the other way! You can summon phantoms souls style in Nioh too! You have freedom!!

I think its limited to 2 players? So I should probably not say "party" so much as "partner". 3 player would be rad but I doubt it's supported. Maybe?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Warning: if you die too much in the true co-op mode (completely drain the party bar, bar is shared between players) it counts as a failure for both people and makes you restart the whole mission. So it's not an easy mode

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Been playing a little bit of Steep and while the core gameplay is fine I'm baffled as to why there is no upgrade system. You can unlock more peaks, and buy cosmetic items, but there just isn't a "hook" to keep you going.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Lakbay posted:

Warning: if you die too much in the true co-op mode (completely drain the party bar, bar is shared between players) it counts as a failure for both people and makes you restart the whole mission. So it's not an easy mode

How long is a "mission" equivalent to a Dark Soul Boss to Boss?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Been playing a little bit of Steep and while the core gameplay is fine I'm baffled as to why there is no upgrade system. You can unlock more peaks, and buy cosmetic items, but there just isn't a "hook" to keep you going.

Not sure if this is something you've already done but:

For the love of god go to the game options and turn off "safe trick" or "trick assist" or whatever it is called. It actively prevents you from starting tricks the game thinks you won't land.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Think of it as... the entirety of Darkroot Garden and Basin, more or less?
Basically, not small. Someone who knows what they're doing can easily bumrush the boss location though, and there are 4 or so "bonfires" in the area, so around that big.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

HGH posted:

Think of it as... the entirety of Darkroot Garden and Basin, more or less?
Basically, not small. Someone who knows what they're doing can easily bumrush the boss location though, and there are 4 or so "bonfires" in the area, so around that big.

This makes me less excited, that's a long rear end session to commit to. Im sure there will be plenty of regular Souls summoning people to help me if I need it. Really glad about multiple options though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

I had no idea, this literally just sold the game for me.

I was gonna get it anyway but that sounds great. Full on gank squads for life :getin:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Nioh won't have pvp at launch, and no one knows what the pvp will be let alone dark souls style invasions

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

With how customizable the rest of the experience is, it doesnt seem like involuntary invasions really fit in.

Dark Souls you lose community hints or lifebar by not opening yourself to danger.

In DS2 people were encouraged to think of human form health as having bonus health. If Nioh drops PvP invasions in later with a bonus for becoming vulnerable I imagine it would go off better presentation wise then DS2s health shrinking mechanic.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ds2 was incrementally punishing you for loving up. it was in ds3 where you got bonus health (embering gave you extra health on top of you max rather than just giving you your full health bar like ds2 or demon's souls). you didn't lose soapstone messages or w/e for being dead in any of them tho

ds1 had nothing of the sort and your health bar was the same no matter what

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Why does the Playstation app still notify me about messages with this turned off EVEN THOUGH THE SEPARATE MESSAGE APP is now the only way to read them?! That also gives me notifications??! What the gently caress Sony.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Are you guys getting tons of spam from that app? Pisses me off that my console gets junk mail too.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I started to get a lot of spam messages recently too. Pretty unsettling actually.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Same

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Yeah- like three all at once, then nothing.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Even more annoying is that I reported two to Sony and on one of them I was chastised for wasting their time! :doh:

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
The weird thing I'm getting is spammers creating a group, dragging me and 50 other people into it, dropping their spam link, then leaving. It's very odd.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

ds2 was incrementally punishing you for loving up. it was in ds3 where you got bonus health (embering gave you extra health on top of you max rather than just giving you your full health bar like ds2 or demon's souls). you didn't lose soapstone messages or w/e for being dead in any of them tho

Unless cursed in which case haha gently caress me right?

Dark Souls 3 making the max health bar change between embered and not embered was a really good idea and probably the only health bar related thing about Dark Souls 3 that I really like. While Demon's is definitely balanced around the half-health, seeing that missing half or quarter gave a different sense.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

snograt posted:

The weird thing I'm getting is spammers creating a group, dragging me and 50 other people into it, dropping their spam link, then leaving. It's very odd.

Same here. I've been getting added to one of these message groups once every day or two for like 3 weeks now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

snograt posted:

yup. once a week for me

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wonder if it's to do with Communities?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I only started getting it after I played one round of Call of Duty a month ago, so I'm blaming CoD.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Can't you block messages from strangers? I don't get anything.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's really crazy how much presentation can change how you perceive something. At the end of the day, DeS, DS2, and DS3 have the same health mechanic with only slight differences in how they're implemented, but DS3's presentation makes it seem like a health bonus rather than a punishment like the others do.

It's actually almost identical to the DeS implementation, with only a difference in number and presentation.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
Ive been having several different games crash fairly regularly for the last two months or so. Games have been both downloads and on disk.

The ps4 is an original I got new in mid 2014. I rebuilt the database and replaced the hard drive with a new 1tb and reinstalled the games manually, transferring save data only. I also made sure the side vents were clear of dust.

I'm still getting the same crashes (a mix of ce-34878-0 and "corrupt data" errors). I can run blu rays and netflix for hours without a single crash, the issue is only for games.Research has shown the errors are very generic and don't appear to be related to any single fix as far as I can tell.

Without any further troubleshooting ability to check individual components I'd have to guess the issue is on the main system board and related to heat or a failing component. The ps4 is in a well ventilated location and I haven't heard any excessive fan noise.

In short, am I looking at getting a new ps4?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

yup. once a week for me

Yeah, it's happened to me a couple of times as well. No idea where they're getting my PSN ID.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Can't you block messages from strangers? I don't get anything.

You can, i did this after I got added to a few of those last week. I assume it's from the goon spreadsheet list and it's being done automatically with a script because i'm not a member of any communities and only play online against people i'm friends with.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've never had that happen but I'm not on the goon spreadsheet either, as far as I'm aware anyway.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Finally got round to putting a few hours into FF15 since getting it for Christmas. Love the world, love the asthetic, love everything apart from the combat really, can't get a grasp on how to do it well i guess? Much better than id expected though.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Ramagamma posted:

Finally got round to putting a few hours into FF15 since getting it for Christmas. Love the world, love the asthetic, love everything apart from the combat really, can't get a grasp on how to do it well i guess? Much better than id expected though.

Put it in wait mode and spend more time backing off. while it's nearly impossible to tell because if you hold the button down he keeps attacking anyway, if you do time your presses he does different attacks and stronger ones. it took me a good few hours until i felt like I knew what I was doing with it - or even how anything i was doing was affecting it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So what's the verdict on the Platinum headset? Basically the same as the gold with a bit better build quality and a gimmick that literally only 1 game supports?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Ramagamma posted:

you'll want be less aggressive than what you would think. keep moving, stay on the outside of big mobs and warp strike a lot.
if not, magic is the win button in the game.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

SettingSun posted:

Soul Calibur II is my jam. I still enjoy the hell out of SCIV.

Soul Calibur V is...it's...:smith:

They could reissue SC3 with the data corruption bug fixed, some balance tweaks, and online play and I know at least three other people beside me who would be happy to never play a different fighting game again.

I know 2 is objectively better but 3 had the first and best goofy character creator in the series.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Yes, it is easy mode, as long as you're playing with a friend who isn't a dolt, which is what the mode is meant for. If you're playing with randoms use phantoms, but trust me, the 'companion' mode is the way to go if you're struggling. Its way easier.

Every shrine you visit refills some of the bar, and as long as one player rezzes the other fast you barely drain the bar from dying. If the other player can't even rez you, you can self-rez, although it drains more of the bar.

Trust me dude I played around a ton on both. I know exactly how it works. I just linked to the OP of the Nioh thread which explains all that and more, which I wrote. I get it dude.

Bombadilillo posted:

Its exactly as long as boss to boss in a souls game, pretty much. Maybe sliiiightly shorter but that's probably just the 3 levels we've seen in the various betas.

You get shortcuts and bonfires/shrines as you go through a "mission" if you're playing on dark souls rules, but if you're doing the co-op companion mode you have to do the whole thing in one shot. Thing is, with two people and the ability to rez and keep going if you die... its really easy to blast through it in a single shot. That's why they changed the mechanics. It just isn't the same as when you're going solo and have to start over all the way from the start (with enemies respawning) if you die.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I pulled the trigger on Gravity Rush 2. I don't usually buy games full price, but I absolutely loved Gravity Rush to death and I really want to support cool IPs like this. Here's hoping it doesn't disappoint!