Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Dad-vice. Don't have a baby and take a promotion at work, you will lose 99% of your shitposting time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Nothing spurs a diet or exercise routine like your doctor saying that if your blood pressure doesn't come down she's going to put you on a prescription for it 😑

Treadmills gotten a lot of use since then.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Booblord Zagats posted:

Dad-vice. Don't have a baby and take a promotion at work, you will lose 99% of your shitposting time

We're all coming to that age where staying at work is sometimes preferable to going home.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I need to get back in shape for rugby come april/may or else ol' Horus is gonna get smacked around like the proverbial redheaded stepchild.

I'm as strong as I've ever been but also packed on too many pounds. Did a friendly powerlifting meet and put up 2 new PRs, 320lb squat and 230 bench, DL is sitting around 410lbs. I'm pretty happy with those for now, but it's time to lean out a little.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

My schedule the past couple semesters has pretty much dictated that I'm running face-first into the evening rush when I can't get there til between 5 and 7, so it's two hours of pure clusterfuck. As much as I usually avoid living the meathead stereotype, if it's some gaggle of skinny retards slapfighting around a bench when they aren't busy on their phones then I'm going to go spook them off of it.

You just started doing working sets of squats? Cool, I'll ask to work in if you don't mind shifting a couple plates. Benching and actually doing some work? I don't care if you're just pushing 135, ditto the working in if you don't mind. Usually I'll end up giving out the kind of form/programming/etc coaching you have to pay $50+ an hour for when I'm between sets. But so help me God I'm not even remotely above sitting on a bench five feet away and cranking the resting bitch face if you're just going to gently caress around and waste everyone's time.

You sound like a real joy to be around

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Old man rant:

I'm generally opposed to "snow days", because gently caress these dumb kids praying to get out of the classes their parents pay tens of thousands of dollar for when they can't be bothered to get out of bed, put on shoes, and/or have proper tires in the loving winter. But both the city of Flagstaff and NAU are somehow incomprehensibly incompetent at preparing for, and dealing with snow. Like, at all.

It's genuinely beyond me how you can have a winter storm warning by NWS three days in advance (with up to 27 inches of snow predicted), not prepare for it whatsoever, engage in laughingly bad efforts clearing the snow during and after, and then be EQUALLY UNPREPARED AND INCOMPETENT WHEN YOU GET ANOTHER SNOW STORM WARNING TWO DAYS LATER.

Outside of maybe the main pedway, absolutely fuckall has been cleared, there have been a total of five injuries from people falling down the legit-snowslide-stairs just in my dorm (then again, maybe they should go out and buy a loving snow shovel and some rock salt like I did), and now that all the non-cleared snow has begun thawing and re-freezing over the last two days, we're getting another 17 inches on top of that.

I love snow and I have no problem getting up a half hour earlier to negotiate the lovely conditions, but the blatant incompetence is beginning to actually hurt my brain.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

We're all coming to that age where staying at work is sometimes preferable to going home.

Work is where I do my poo poo posting. Or was before I had actual poo poo to do

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
How is the once and future Booblord, Booblad?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Everyone loves the guy giving unsolicited advice at the gym.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Old man rant:

I'm generally opposed to "snow days", because gently caress these dumb kids praying to get out of the classes their parents pay tens of thousands of dollar for when they can't be bothered to get out of bed, put on shoes, and/or have proper tires in the loving winter. But both the city of Flagstaff and NAU are somehow incomprehensibly incompetent at preparing for, and dealing with snow. Like, at all.

It's genuinely beyond me how you can have a winter storm warning by NWS three days in advance (with up to 27 inches of snow predicted), not prepare for it whatsoever, engage in laughingly bad efforts clearing the snow during and after, and then be EQUALLY UNPREPARED AND INCOMPETENT WHEN YOU GET ANOTHER SNOW STORM WARNING TWO DAYS LATER.

Outside of maybe the main pedway, absolutely fuckall has been cleared, there have been a total of five injuries from people falling down the legit-snowslide-stairs just in my dorm (then again, maybe they should go out and buy a loving snow shovel and some rock salt like I did), and now that all the non-cleared snow has begun thawing and re-freezing over the last two days, we're getting another 17 inches on top of that.

I love snow and I have no problem getting up a half hour earlier to negotiate the lovely conditions, but the blatant incompetence is beginning to actually hurt my brain.

Its not that they're unprepared. Unique meteorological events can leave a place that is not used to them in a pickle. This happens every year. Everyone likes to :lol: the south when it comes to snow and ice, but the fact of the matter is they aren't equipped to handle it even with infinite notice. You can't suddenly make scraper trucks, salt trucks, tons of rock salt, etc materialize.

Likewise the same thing happens in other places too just not involving snow. Hurricanes don't really gently caress up Florida more than a couple of days if even that normally. Most places are completely functional in a week. Then you go to New Jersey that isn't equipped to handle a strong hurricane and Sandy comes in a wrecks loving shop.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

holocaust bloopers posted:

How is the once and future Booblord, Booblad?

He's great, can stand if he can get his hands on something to pull himself up on. Still no crawling though

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

This needs to be a smiley

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
He'll probably crawl for boobs

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Its not that they're unprepared. Unique meteorological events can leave a place that is not used to them in a pickle. This happens every year. Everyone likes to :lol: the south when it comes to snow and ice, but the fact of the matter is they aren't equipped to handle it even with infinite notice. You can't suddenly make scraper trucks, salt trucks, tons of rock salt, etc materialize.

Likewise the same thing happens in other places too just not involving snow. Hurricanes don't really gently caress up Florida more than a couple of days if even that normally. Most places are completely functional in a week. Then you go to New Jersey that isn't equipped to handle a strong hurricane and Sandy comes in a wrecks loving shop.

I get what you're saying, but this is Flagstaff.

This place sees an average of something like 120 inches of snow per winter. I've been here for over two years now, and I've never - in my life - seen a place that gets snow with calculable regularity and is yet completely and utterly unprepared to deal with it.

We had three snow storms like this in my very first semester, and neither NAU, nor the city had any form of coherent plan or reaction for it. Even when it snows normally, not in winter-storm conditions like these, normal cleaning operations barely cope. The single thing that you know will be cleared eventually, is I-17, and Milton Road, which is essentially just I-17 turning into Route 66. And that is usually barely done until the late afternoon or evening.

It's genuinely bizarre.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

If I see someone using a machine just flat out wrong there's a 10% chance I'll step in, but only if I know the person.

Otherwise I just laugh.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's a big loving difference between an event like Sandy and getting 3" of snow in the south every 2-3 years.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

There's a big loving difference between an event like Sandy and getting 3" of snow in the south every 2-3 years.

I live in a city that has maybe one to two hard freezes annually and that's all. There was one winter here where we had actual ice on the road for an entire day or so. Some of those roads were just simply not safe to drive on. I've got experience living in a place with actual winters, snow, and ice but in those places they actually have salt trucks and snow plows. There is zero infrastructure here to handle any ice at all and there are tons of hills all around. 3" of snow would be devastating here and would be every bit as big an event as Sandy.

On the flip side, I get hit by storms just as powerful or more so than Sandy annually and they rarely cause more than mild inconvenience because we're equipped to handle them.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Confirming the southeast handles hurricanes and poo poo great, they have repair crews out working as soon as the storm passes and they get poo poo restored pretty quickly, IF I lose power from a really bad storm it is usually up within 4-6 hours. With the notable exception of Louisiana because they are dumb and built their capital below sea level on a river.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Zeris posted:

You sound like a real joy to be around

That hurts me in ways I'm emotionally ill-equipped to process.

I'm not even going to pretend to apologize for being irritated by a gaggle of idiots sitting on some of the most limited and popular equipment, fingering each others' asses and snapchatting 27 different versions of the same picture with that retarded dog filter, and taking 15 minutes between "sets" where every rep is a quarter squat or some strange bench-curl-row hybrid.

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Less "YEAH BRAH YOU TOTALLY GOTTA LIFT WITH YOUR SPINE BRAH", more "Have you ever tried setting your back in an arch before benching? It'll actually help your chest and delts work harder, plus it's easier on your shoulders." I'm not going to bust my rear end trying to help someone if they're completely uninterested, but most actual serious lifters aren't (or shouldn't be) afraid to at least take the time and consider advice or information if it's presented in a non-douchey way.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Well then, not an hour after my bitching, all of NAU is shutting down. This after one of the campus bus lines could no longer negotiate a mild incline, "stranding" 40 students in the post-apocalyptic, inescapable snow tundra that lies a five minute walk to campus buildings in each direction, prompting violent tweeting from the "stranded" students.

The hilarious detail: That means grounds services will stop clearing operations as soon as the rest of campus shuts down. :laffo:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 23, 2017

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Well then, not an hour after my bitching, all of NAU is shutting down. This after one of the campus bus lines could no longer negotiate a mild incline, "stranding" 40 students in the post-apocalyptic, inescapable snow tundra that lies a five minute walk to campus buildings in each direction, prompting violent tweeting from the "stranded" students.

The hilarious detail: That means grounds services will stop clearing operations as soon as the rest of campus shuts down. :laffo:

NAU grads around here are known for being worthless manchildren (working for the defense contractor their dad works for) and/or trophy wives or utterly incompetent community college associate professors. Your commentary seems to be showing how the forge them so effectively

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Don't loving talk to me at the gym.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Nothing spurs a diet or exercise routine like your doctor saying that if your blood pressure doesn't come down she's going to put you on a prescription for it 😑

Treadmills gotten a lot of use since then.

:sigh: same. Telling me my blood pressure is slightly high makes me feel crummy for a day, but asking to put me on drugs? gently caress you, I don't need medication! I can get healthy all by myself!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I live in a city that has maybe one to two hard freezes annually and that's all. There was one winter here where we had actual ice on the road for an entire day or so. Some of those roads were just simply not safe to drive on. I've got experience living in a place with actual winters, snow, and ice but in those places they actually have salt trucks and snow plows. There is zero infrastructure here to handle any ice at all and there are tons of hills all around. 3" of snow would be devastating here and would be every bit as big an event as Sandy.

On the flip side, I get hit by storms just as powerful or more so than Sandy annually and they rarely cause more than mild inconvenience because we're equipped to handle them.

I think the ultimate point is that there are places that ignore their regular weather and simply refuse to prepare. Luck much of the south and snow. Every loving year we hear about how Atlanta is getting rocked by a snowpocalypse. It's not unusual to see a couple of inches of snow, yet it's always a huge disaster because the city/county/state is unprepared. If 6" or more drops on the city, I get it...that's unusual.

One of the best things about my old job is that I had a well-maintained, rear end in a top hat-free gym less than a block away that was dirt cheap because I signed up during a killer promotion.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

At least you've never called in the army/national guard to shovel snow

gently caress you Mel Lastman.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

no bones about it posted:

Confirming the southeast handles hurricanes and poo poo great, they have repair crews out working as soon as the storm passes and they get poo poo restored pretty quickly, IF I lose power from a really bad storm it is usually up within 4-6 hours. With the notable exception of Louisiana because they are dumb and built their capital below sea level on a river.

New Orleans isn't the capitol smart guy, and Baton Rouge isn't below sea level.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kawasaki Nun posted:

New Orleans isn't the capitol smart guy, and Baton Rouge isn't below sea level.

Louisiana is a garbage state for garbage people. It ranks higher than AL and MS but drat, Bobby Jindal hosed them so hard and they said "Please give me more!"

Though, you could really extend that to any of the southern red states, seriously, the folks who vote in the local elections are so loving retarded they happily vote against the things that will help them out. We are all hosed and The Donald is our just desserts.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 23, 2017

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Louisiana is a garbage state for garbage people. It ranks higher than AL and MS

Goddamn that's some heavy poo poo right there.

I don't necessarily disagree.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I just got a job offer in Annapolis Junction MD, how much am I going to hate the commute?

(Its smack in the middle between DC and Baltimore)

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

That hurts me in ways I'm emotionally ill-equipped to process.

I'm not even going to pretend to apologize for being irritated by a gaggle of idiots sitting on some of the most limited and popular equipment, fingering each others' asses and snapchatting 27 different versions of the same picture with that retarded dog filter, and taking 15 minutes between "sets" where every rep is a quarter squat or some strange bench-curl-row hybrid.

Less "YEAH BRAH YOU TOTALLY GOTTA LIFT WITH YOUR SPINE BRAH", more "Have you ever tried setting your back in an arch before benching? It'll actually help your chest and delts work harder, plus it's easier on your shoulders." I'm not going to bust my rear end trying to help someone if they're completely uninterested, but most actual serious lifters aren't (or shouldn't be) afraid to at least take the time and consider advice or information if it's presented in a non-douchey way.

I think you're missing the bigger picture here

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I just got a job offer in Annapolis Junction MD, how much am I going to hate the commute?

I commuted to Laurel for a few months and the DC beltway made me want to die

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Something is wrong with my Samsung S Fit app. It said I ran a mile in 6:34, and that's really fast.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
look at prefontaine over here

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Hey guys I think my Fitbit is broken it says I run real fast!!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Live close to work.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Zeris posted:

I think you're missing the bigger picture here

Pretend like I enlisted and draw it out for me with crayons.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Pretend like I enlisted and draw it out for me with crayons.

Jumping into people's workouts to criticize how they do them is a pretentiously dick move.

Imagine if I moved in to your house and told you your furniture needs to be rearranged.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

My garmin watch says I run fast because I can actually run fast, loving nerds

can anyone help me put these 35's on the smith machine?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Don't use the smith machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MurderBot posted:

My garmin watch says I run fast because I can actually run fast, loving nerds

can anyone help me put these 35's on the smith machine?

Do rear end-to-grass squats without a belt ever or you're a trash human being

also deadlifts every day or you'll stay a twinklord forever

• Locked thread