Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Reading Senator Pettigrew's 1898 speech against the annexation of Hawaii and it's loving badass cause in the beginning dude is just railing hard against imperialism and plutocracy. It's crazy to read poo poo that's over 100 years old, that's prophetic in its warnings against corporate oligarchy and the consequences of becoming an empire. It totally turns into a turd tho once he simultaneously speaks in defense of the indigenous peoples autonomy while scare-mongering the senate with bizarre race science and praise of Japan's homogenous population.

That must have been the same time the Senate was debating what to do with the Philippines. There was a serious fight over whether it should be a territory or a state because "republics don't have territories". It was never given a chance for statehood because of (what else) racism but it feels like a serious inflection point in US history that no one really talks about much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Lonesome Rhodes screamin' "SAY YOURE GONNA LOVE ME LOVE ME LOVE ME"

Andy Griffith is so loving good in the movie, it's scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_m3vdPLQ68

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CelticPredator posted:

I own hot toys of both Jack and Heath's joker and I treasure them. Both are icons and incredible.

Also did anyone add a hat and the Indy theme to that Spencer vid yet? I wanna do it.

What's it like being a millionaire?

CelticPredator posted:

So I've been talking to my trump supporter friends and found common ground. That's good right? We have had pleasant discussions so far. But they don't live in rural Colorado and or work on a farm.

Those people I feel are not gonna be helped.

:sever:

Coaaab posted:

Could Ebert have swayed internet opinion like that back then? He loved the Nolan Batmans and was generally mixed on previous Batman blockbusters.

That's a good question, but I have no idea. Still if I had to guess it was probably just hardcore fanboyism. Don't forget what it was like when that movie came out. Right here on this forum Batman talk reached such a fever pitch that a thread about the third film was forbidden until a certain period of time before the release.

Spatulater bro! posted:

I found the only person in the entire crowd with the correct expression on her face:

It's Dee Reynolds!

"OH GODDAMN IT!"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CPL593H posted:

It's Dee Reynolds!

"OH GODDAMN IT!"

The Gang Elects Trump

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Also, this:

https://www.facebook.com/jimmyfromlongisland/videos/1784734221779387/

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Speaking of that alt-right friend I severed with, I'm currently having it out with him over how little I give a poo poo about how much neo-nazis and white nationalists hate each other. Should I post censored screen shots, or would that be too icky?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

K. Waste posted:

Speaking of that alt-right friend I severed with, I'm currently having it out with him over how little I give a poo poo about how much neo-nazis and white nationalists hate each other. Should I post censored screen shots, or would that be too icky?

Kind of icky. You should just punch him in the head.

Edit: No one will cry.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

K. Waste posted:

Just post photos of historical dead nazis as responses to whatever he posts.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

By which I mean pictures of massacred nazis all burned up and poo poo.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Mecha Gojira posted:

Kind of icky. You should just punch him in the head.

Edit: No one will cry.

I'll leave it at, "Well good luck man. I don't get it." I know you don't.

This track is awesome.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thankfully do not know any alt right people.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

CelticPredator posted:

I thankfully do not know any alt right people.

CelticPredator posted:

So I've been talking to my trump supporter friends and found common ground. That's good right? We have had pleasant discussions so far. But they don't live in rural Colorado and or work on a farm.

Those people I feel are not gonna be helped.

?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Trump voter and alt right are not the same thing. Not always. All my friends are just god loving gun people who support the army.

They are just Average right.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Lol, more gold: https://twitter.com/HWNDUS/status/823329117160357890?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The weird 70s Raggedy Ann & Andy movie has a character called King Koo-Koo that's obsessed with being larger and grows from laughter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN6sMC2yG5Y&t=200s

Hmmm.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Power of Pecota posted:

Is Hancock considered not bad now? I'm like 1/4 on actually liking Peter Berg movies..

I don't know what it's "considered" by....whomever, but I always liked it.

K. Waste posted:

The bombers are actually portrayed basically as more competent versions of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold.

The movie really isn't hawkish at all, even though it necessarily portrays hawkish characters. But it's incredibly poetic in its un-packaging the question of 'radicalization' - how there really is no consistency with the superficial content of Islam and the more banal conspiracy theories that the brothers also espouse, such as 9/11 being an inside job, despite their ultimate plot still pertaining to taking their mission to New York City. The two guys playing the brothers are just so loving good. This may be the best depiction of radicalized young men since Paradise Now.

Have you seen Four Lions?

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
https://twitter.com/nickmullen/status/823588790707032066

This guy gets me

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

DeimosRising posted:

Have you seen Four Lions?

Of course. That's dope, too.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

U should be on cumtown

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Egbert Souse posted:

The weird 70s Raggedy Ann & Andy movie has a character called King Koo-Koo that's obsessed with being larger and grows from laughter

Hmmm.

Were 70s film designed to traumatize children?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

Of course. That's dope, too.

I just wondered because of the best portrayal of radicalized youth comment, when I think Four Lions does a better job than Paradise Now, even. Whenever I hear about Euro teenagers-young 20s dudes heading to Syria all I can picture is the guys from Four Lions and I almost feel bad for them trying to fight loving Spetsnaz murder machines while getting wound up by old Salafi wackos living out their mid life crises by becoming Lord Humongus in a turban.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

DeimosRising posted:

I just wondered because of the best portrayal of radicalized youth comment, when I think Four Lions does a better job than Paradise Now, even. Whenever I hear about Euro teenagers-young 20s dudes heading to Syria all I can picture is the guys from Four Lions and I almost feel bad for them trying to fight loving Spetsnaz murder machines while getting wound up by old Salafi wackos living out their mid life crises by becoming Lord Humongus in a turban.

I think that's a fair reason to prefer Four Lions, I just think Paradise Now is a little more challenging in terms of how it portrays the 'conflict' of the radical. There's a definite contrast between that great scene in Four Lions where Omar and Waj effectively pledge to kill each other if the other defects, and the entire running conflict throughout Abu-Assad's film. There, Said and Khaled similarly 'posture' to one another, but they are decidedly reserved in this performance. The conflict of conscience is expressed not through one friend trying to conscript the other so they won't be alone in their jihad, but each subtly trying to persuade the other that only they need feel bound to this fate.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Egbert Souse posted:

Hmmm.

Man I'm vividly reliving that one time in college where I watched Heavy Traffic and Coonskin in the same weekend. 70's animation is loving weird.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You want to talk revolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd3JrFXLrA0

"And what happens after? The same loving thing starts all over again."

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Trump voter and alt right are not the same thing. Not always. All my friends are just god loving gun people who support the army.

They are just Average right.

You don't have to be a racist, misogynist, homophobic, ablest, transphobic, rape apologist bigot to be a Trump supporter. You just have to be okay with racism, misogyny, homophobia, ableism, transphobia, and rape apology to be a Trump supporter.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

ruddiger posted:

You want to talk revolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd3JrFXLrA0

"And what happens after? The same loving thing starts all over again."

It's a fair cop. From a good movie!

But surely nihilism just starts the same loving thing over again, too. Bringing an end to history was never the agenda.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I thought season 2 was often considered as the best/second best season. People hate that season? I loved it because it was the most focused, it just tackled two sides of one crime, and the efforts to get one over on the other guys.

A lot of people think it sucks because it's not about street gang stuff, at least not directly. Personally I would've liked it if the show just shifted to different parts of how hosed up Baltimore is every season, instead of (mostly) going back to street dealers after 2.

Discount Viscount posted:

He had a hand in it and it's what got him into television but his biggest contribution was writing the book it was based off of. A lot of little bits in The Wire also came from Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. I read it shortly after finishing The Wire a couple years ago, which was fun.

Yeah, the shows feel pretty similar thematically but there's a lot of different people involved, and the vibe is totally different. I actually prefer Homicide if only for the performances. Andre Braugher is hard to top.

Homicide is also the show where Law and Order SVU's Detective Munch got started, and he's much more interestingly written in that show.

The show gets kinda bad in the final 2 seasons, but I think it's worth sticking with it just so you can watch the TV Movie and see it redeem itself completely.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Paging Jenny

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

You don't have to be a racist, misogynist, homophobic, ablest, transphobic, rape apologist bigot to be a Trump supporter. You just have to be okay with racism, misogyny, homophobia, ableism, transphobia, and rape apology to be a Trump supporter.

The overall problem is the lack of empathy. It's exactly why a sociopath became the President.

It's the overall refusal or inability to be able to look at any perspective other than your own.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Egbert Souse posted:

Andy Griffith is so loving good in the movie, it's scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_m3vdPLQ68

The writing does heavy lifting but that kind of easy, magnetic charisma is really hard to pull off.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

The overall problem is the lack of empathy. It's exactly why a sociopath became the President.

It's the overall refusal or inability to be able to look at any perspective other than your own.

And the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air....

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The fireman slightly smoking as he walks by is what sells this

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Since the Nazis are cosplaying, can I get my M1, put on my steel pot, and buttstroke this guy?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Lurdiak posted:

A lot of people think it sucks because it's not about street gang stuff, at least not directly. Personally I would've liked it if the show just shifted to different parts of how hosed up Baltimore is every season, instead of (mostly) going back to street dealers after 2.

The Docks and the Schools are the two best seasons of the Wire, they provide an interesting perspective on how all the different parts of the criminal empire and the cops' approach to taking them down always leads to... the streets.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Egbert Souse posted:

Yeah. But while I'm on board with actual minorities not having the patience to empathize with soft Trump supporters, I feel like those of us who are white straight cis dudes are being self-indulgent by not engaging and actually making a case.

Not that we are as bad as them, but we are easily everything we accuse Clinton of.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
As a minority in Canada its terrifying me that this and the alt right is starting to happen up here too.

But yea whitesplaining to me why we have to worry and sympathize with them is insane. Its like white dudes to say separate the art and the artist. Harder if they are a rapist and they are a woman, or homophobic if your gay etc....

How many people have punched Nazis in the face today/this week?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Death By The Blues posted:

As a minority in Canada its terrifying me that this and the alt right is starting to happen up here too.

But yea whitesplaining to me why we have to worry and sympathize with them is insane. Its like white dudes to say separate the art and the artist. Harder if they are a rapist and they are a woman, or homophobic if your gay etc....

I'm totally cool with that. What I'm not cool with is people who don't have those worries using your experience as an excuse to feel above having to explain their politics to other white people in the name of moral superiority.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Makes sense. What dumb thing has Trump done yet? Out of the loop.

In somewhat good news managed to find and book a bathroom and stage for the infomercial. Also, got a lead on an airport.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Makes sense. What dumb thing has Trump done yet? Out of the loop.

He made his inaugural day a national holiday for "patriots" :smugdon:

Not enough, Death, not enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Keeping seeing stuff about Spicer? Odd a white dude has a name like that when he probably cooks his steak well done and covers it in salt.

Somehow in our crew we managed to secure like one maybe two white males, which you know film is near impossible.

It sure is going to be interesting.

trying to mimic this is as a developing world airport bathroom

• Locked thread