Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Like all the kids I knew had them, I was the only one who didn't because I was terrified of that poo poo and would subtly put away or put objects in front of the alien toys but was too ashamed to ever admit it because by 11-12 most kids are watching poo poo like aliens back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

a bone to pick posted:

Did those alien toys sell well? I can't imagine many kids actually liked that movie, not because its bad but I remember being scared shitless watching the first one when I was a kid.

I loved the Alien movies when I was a kid. Predator too.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I remember they even had goofy spin-off Aliens action figures like ones with glow in the dark wings or whatever. Action figures used to be like videogames for us.

canned from the band
Sep 13, 2007

I'm a man of intensity. Of cool, and youth, and passionately

I thought they had no chemistry

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

I loved the Alien movies when I was a kid. Predator too.

I loved predator and even predator 2 as a kid. Alien and The Thing scared the gently caress out of me though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

canned from the band posted:

canned from the band is vary bad at reveiwing RLM videos

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
GOTCHA!

This prroves it!

edit: I wouldn't have thought a The Thing toy would be possible. Maybe a playdough, creepy crawler contraption

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 24, 2017

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

MrSlam posted:

edit: I wouldn't have thought a The Thing toy would be possible.

I would think it would have to be a whole line. There's a collection kid-me would have been on point on.

e; right next to all the Jurassic Park dinosaurs and every single Alien variant.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

canned from the band posted:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think McFarlane definitely had a few Thing toys out some point, as part of their Movie Maniacs line of figs.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

that part had me laughing really hard

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

UP AND ADAM posted:

I remember they even had goofy spin-off Aliens action figures like ones with glow in the dark wings or whatever. Action figures used to be like videogames for us.

http://www.toyarchive.com/Aliens/Toys/AliensFigures.html

After Alien 3 showed you could turn a dog into an alien things got real dumb.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I remember buying a lot of Alien/Predator toys when i was a kid but not actually seeing any of the movies so I imagine I liked it because of the Predator arcade game and or just catching part of the movies on cable somewhere.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Star Wars is the coolest Bad Thing For Babies and I love it.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

hemale in pain posted:

[ANY MOVIE] would of been cooler if it was just Fury Road in [SETTING].

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

a bone to pick posted:

Did those alien toys sell well? I can't imagine many kids actually liked that movie, not because its bad but I remember being scared shitless watching the first one when I was a kid.

I had a ton of xenomorph figures when I was a kid and didn't see the Alien movies (any of them) until just a few years ago.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The weird 90s Alien xenomorph toys were great. They came with these lovely comics which were basically "Aliens if it were a Saturday morning cartoon".

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I want a TV series set in the Shadowrun universe.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I did think Aliens was a little scary as a kid, but I also thought it was the coolest poo poo I had ever seen, so

I had it on VHS tape and would invite friends over to watch it :3:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The weird 90s Alien xenomorph toys were great. They came with these lovely comics which were basically "Aliens if it were a Saturday morning cartoon".

There was going to be a Saturday morning cartoon but it was never made for whatever reason, and a similar toyline for Predator

Oh well.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Hirethor posted:

[ANY MOVIE] would of been cooler if it was just Fury Road in [SETTING].

Kinda. Blade Runner Sequel could be Fury Road. Deckard is on the run with Rachel, and they're running from Bryan Goslin and there are all these close calls as he keeps detective'ing them and getting closer and closer. And they finally get to where they're supposed to be safe except Rachel is dying and only the people in the city can possibly save her, so it turns out they have to go back.

It's just a good general layout for a story.

Geoff Zahn posted:

This was the first year for me. Heard about it through RLM, but I can't remember which video it was mentioned. Forgot about it until my gf surprised me with tickets. Got there late, just in time to see the last 1/3 of Magic Sword, which I wish I hadn't missed (could have done without sitting through Bloodlust and the woman screaming MAKE IT STOP!!! way past it stopped being funny). I totally agree, Last Dragon was fantastic. I ended up leaving after Battlefield Earth - didn't prepare well enough to last the whole event, haha. Despite the absurd levels of gooniness from the attendees, I'm definitely going again next year and will bring an air freshener.

You can find Magic Sword on YouTube. Totally worth it to see Lt. Cmdr. Gary Mitchell messing stuff up. (That's a Star Trek reference, so this is on topic.)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why did it smell bad? Was it the patrons? Did the patrons smell bad

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Zzulu posted:

Why did it smell bad? Was it the patrons? Did the patrons smell bad

B-Fest? Nah the nerds' actual bodies are only part of it. The main thing is the large number of people who eat loving nasty food.

Last year I sat behind people who were eating greasy Chinese takeout in the middle of the goddamn theater. The worst-smelling most obnoxious $5 a meal Americanized crap.

Oh but then. Hold on.

They put the stinky containers under their seats, so it could ferment throughout the show.

Oh but hold on.

THEN they pulled out burritos and started eating bean and oniony burritos. And this was BEFORE any of the 24 hours of movies started playing.

Not even kidding.

The kids eating all the cool ranch doritos are barely even a concern at that point, although there are some pretty major waves of dorito stink at random times. It's the dicks who go out and order a large pizza with extra anchovies and durian fruit, and then they stash the box under their seat. That's the real killer.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

revdrkevind posted:

B-Fest? Nah the nerds' actual bodies are only part of it. The main thing is the large number of people who eat loving nasty food.

Last year I sat behind people who were eating greasy Chinese takeout in the middle of the goddamn theater. The worst-smelling most obnoxious $5 a meal Americanized crap.

Oh but then. Hold on.

They put the stinky containers under their seats, so it could ferment throughout the show.

Oh but hold on.

THEN they pulled out burritos and started eating bean and oniony burritos. And this was BEFORE any of the 24 hours of movies started playing.

Not even kidding.

The kids eating all the cool ranch doritos are barely even a concern at that point, although there are some pretty major waves of dorito stink at random times. It's the dicks who go out and order a large pizza with extra anchovies and durian fruit, and then they stash the box under their seat. That's the real killer.

did josh get any soy sauce on his dorky graphic tee?

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

dreezy posted:

did josh get any soy sauce on his dorky graphic tee?

Nope the asshats were in front of me, Josh was sitting behind me that year. (And he's a perfectly great neighbor.)

Although some nerd did scream at him across the whole aisle and basically fell down on his knees and did an "I'm not worthy" in the most aspie way possible.

Never go full fanboy.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm still salty as gently caress that we never got an AvP that was good. I mean like Predator meets Aliens level good. You even have built in sequel bait where that Weyland-Yutani exec comes back as an honorary Pred.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm still salty as gently caress that we never got an AvP that was good. I mean like Predator meets Aliens level good. You even have built in sequel bait where that Weyland-Yutani exec comes back as an honorary Pred.

Someone had a story about leaving the theater opening night and some angry as hell nerd was looking for anyone to yell his opinions at, locked eyes like a goddang pokemon battle, stormed up and blurted "They shouldn't have been friends!"
I thought that was my story for years but I've come to believe my memory was bullshit and I just read it somewhere, which is weird because I remember the guy's face, but no I think i'm just a bullshit man who nobody would ever confide their AvP headcannons with.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

KakerMix posted:

Last night I got a hankering to watch something "cyber punk" and after googling I realized other than blade runner there's nothing. I went so far as to download some critically acclaimed animes but got about 2 min in before I realized that anime is trash and no matter how awesome the cyberpunk setting or vistas it's still anime :(

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Last night I got a hankering to watch something "cyber punk" and after googling I realized other than blade runner there's nothing. I went so far as to download some critically acclaimed animes but got about 2 min in before I realized that anime is trash and no matter how awesome the cyberpunk setting or vistas it's still anime :(

It's really not cyberpunk but Dark City? Also stars Obergruppenführer Smith from Man in the High Castle.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Johnny Mnemonic.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Baronjutter posted:

Strange Days

revdrkevind posted:

Nope the asshats were in front of me, Josh was sitting behind me that year. (And he's a perfectly great neighbor.)

Although some nerd did scream at him across the whole aisle and basically fell down on his knees and did an "I'm not worthy" in the most aspie way possible.

Never go full fanboy.

Jesus if you're gonna be a fan boy just drop a meme, don't kowtow to a bunch of people who get ossified drunk and ramble about movies

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 24, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dmitri-9 posted:

Jesus if you're gonna be a fan boy just drop a meme, don't kowtow to a bunch of people who get ossified drunk and ramble about movies

There are no memes with Josh that don't involve hating him.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This was the only one I could find on rlmconfessions that wasn't like 'Josh should gently caress off and die'. How is that even a confession?

I'm pretty sure this one was meant sarcastically too.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Baronjutter posted:

Akira

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Was gonna say this. Anime is basically all trash, but there are the occasional highlights, and Akira is one of them. Ghost In The Shell was probably the other one, it's alright too.

edit: I really should get around to watching Blade Runner.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 24, 2017

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does Studio Ghibli count as anime because I like the Miyazaki movies a lot. Kids too and they don't even care if it is subtitled, put on Totoro or Spirited Away or Ponyo and they are transfixed. Even better than pixar for that!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

priznat posted:

Does Studio Ghibli count as anime because I like the Miyazaki movies a lot. Kids too and they don't even care if it is subtitled, put on Totoro or Spirited Away or Ponyo and they are transfixed. Even better than pixar for that!

Miyazaki hates anime, therefore his films do not count.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

counterfeitsaint posted:

This was the only one I could find on rlmconfessions that wasn't like 'Josh should gently caress off and die'. How is that even a confession?

I'm pretty sure this one was meant sarcastically too.

josh posted it

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

KakerMix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GPGQoR6f6w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

The Matrix.

• Locked thread