Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
FOr the record, the Commissar rules in CoC are much better.

E: At least in the one army list I've been able to find.

Nope. There's a summary execution rule in the Barbarossa list. :(

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Colonial Air Force posted:

FOr the record, the Commissar rules in CoC are much better.

E: At least in the one army list I've been able to find.

Nope. There's a summary execution rule in the Barbarossa list. :(

We threw them out and made new rules.

Coc has tons of errors in the soviet stuff. Like no JL in weapon teams for some strange
reason.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
I got a Pendraken 10mm thirty years war army last week, it's going on my painting table this weekend! God save Emperor Ferdinand.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Can someone help me out with TY errata? I've ended up in discussion with people who say that hunter-killer terrain now needs to be between the target and themselves, so you can "flank" to get past cover, and that this was changed in the field manual errata packs. I can't see this anywhere. Does anyone have a later printing or something that includes it?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

My copy of Chosen Men is in the post, so It's time to crack on with some Perry Napoleonic chaps:

Fancy hat mandatory.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

lilljonas posted:

We threw them out and made new rules.

Coc has tons of errors in the soviet stuff. Like no JL in weapon teams for some strange
reason.

I was so pissed when I saw that everyone else gets a JL with their AT-guns. And when it comes to senior leaders poo poo is not fair. The Germans get a SL for two, brits and yanks an adjutant for one. Soviets get something without rules for 3 in the rulebook or something worthless for 2 in Barbarossa.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The COC Soviet rules are pretty bad, yeah. At times it reads like something off axishistoryforum.com

quote:

In Chain of Command the late war Soviet forces  are not as sophisticated as their opponents, nor  indeed their allies

quote:

The  support available to them is present in greater  numbers than before and the quality is good, if  rudimentary in its manufacture. 

quote:

The forces of Soviet Union vary incredibly in their  quality,  with  newly  liberated  men  joining  the  ranks daily and with little or no training.  The  forces of Russia are untroubled by refined tactics.  

:downs:

Then there's stuff like the summary execution rule in Barbarossa, AT guns not getting JLs, their national special rules being garbage, and so on. Thankfully the game rules are really good, and stuff like this is easy to houserule, and COC really isn't trying to be a competitive tournament game.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That's exactly what I was afraid of with WW2 games... sadface

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah, just houserule stuff, it's easy to do with Coc since the basics rules are solid.

E:

Some quick and dirty Warlord nappy figs:

I bought four sprues of French infantry on the sprue sale, together with all the cavalry, mostly to compare with Perry's plastics. Each sprue comes with three bodies for Fusiliers and one for Voltigeurs/Grenadiers. The Fusiliers were all right, and I like that I got a few earlier style shakos to mix in with the newer style of uniform of the Perry box. A large part of the French army had not switched to the 1812 uniform in, well, 1812.

I gave a few of them irregular pants and patched up clothes, which would be very common in the field. Soldiers would pre-patch the knees on pants before campaigns, rather than wait for the pants to wear down.

The Voltigeurs though, were a bit worse. You only get one body so they're all the same, which gets worse as the only pose you get is a bad one. Frankly, they look like they need to pee. In this case they'll serve just fine as I'll mix them into a much bigger body of troops from other manufacturers, but I really don't see myself getting an entire unit from Warlord, as you'd be stuck with this one pose for all your grenadiers and voltigeurs. Their newer box called Late Line Infantry seems a bit better on this part, as it gives you at least two different bodies.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 21, 2017

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I'm painting 60 union troops for SP - lots if blue

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Frobbe posted:

I promised pictures of the Pendraken 1864 Danish soldiers. My colleague received them today and here's a teaser:

I'll get mine on Monday, so expect higher quality pictures then. bonus to my colleague for doing a scene :)

Nice. Looking forward to seeing them painted.

Also, nice detail with the painting of the counterattack of the 8th Brigade in the background.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Phi230 posted:

That's exactly what I was afraid of with WW2 games... sadface

Looks like it might be a printing error, since they atleast get leaders for their guns in the Barbarossa list.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

I've written up most of the COC campaign I'm preparing for. https://docs.google.com/document/d/19Y5AKm4E6t92Mm8ZJPLceERpdA-8phFLkWkcogVUqM8/edit?usp=sharing

I'm mostly worried that this is downright impossible for the Germans - They'll slowly run out of infantry as the campaign goes on, and if they lose their Tiger and StuGs they'll be in big trouble.

aren't the Germans supposed to lose?

Could you make a reinforce roll and get something stopgap like a refurbished Marder II, a Stummel or a captured SU76 that's short on ammo?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Soldaten, the fatherland has heard our Tiger was knocked out and the Heer has dispatched a captured Assault gun to fill out lines.

Hauptmann. We have seven rounds for the main gun but the crew have MP44s.

Gott drat it.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

roll a d10.
on a 1 your motorcycle messenger surrendered himself to the first Americans he came across.

he gets to survive the war and meets a nice faulien from Leipzig and they become refugees, settle in Sydney and start a family.

on a 2 the Americans shoot him and he crashes into a hedgerow.

3-9 roll on the stop gap reinforcement table.

on a 10 while eliminating the American patrol that killed your messenger, you find a Panther hiding in a Service station workshop, it's crew scrounging for fuel and scraping the zimmerit off the hull.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 22, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

on a 5 an SS unit stops your reinforcements, and forcefully commandeers all of their vehicles 'for the fatherland'; now on foot with only rifles, they take an extra turn to arrive.

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring

spectralent posted:

Can someone help me out with TY errata? I've ended up in discussion with people who say that hunter-killer terrain now needs to be between the target and themselves, so you can "flank" to get past cover, and that this was changed in the field manual errata packs. I can't see this anywhere. Does anyone have a later printing or something that includes it?

As far as I can tell this is 100% not a thing. My recollection is that the rule is specifically worded to stay that the Heli only need to be within 4" of the terrain. Consulting the Field Manual 101 here doesn't lead me to change this opinion any. I personally think this Hunter Killer rule is too powerful as written but...meh.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Conan the Librarian posted:

As far as I can tell this is 100% not a thing. My recollection is that the rule is specifically worded to stay that the Heli only need to be within 4" of the terrain. Consulting the Field Manual 101 here doesn't lead me to change this opinion any. I personally think this Hunter Killer rule is too powerful as written but...meh.

It's apparently something that Phil said, and the forums are full of people arguing they're playing it "right". Personally I feel like if a developer can't put their rules into a rulebook then they should be ignored, but hey.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Geisladisk posted:

The COC Soviet rules are pretty bad, yeah. At times it reads like something off axishistoryforum.com
:downs:
Well, I agree that the lack of a JL with the AT guns is probably a misprint. I mean, the L46 doesn't even list a crew, so that's obviously a misprint. As for the national rules, scouts are loving awesome, especially if they can move 2D6 and be Tactical. And for the barrage rule, we play it that it's usable even in scenarios that don't allow a preliminary barrage. As far as I know, that's "rules as written," and it too is pretty bad-rear end.

Barbarossa Commissars are whack, but I've seen other lists where the Commissar acts as a second Senior Leader and I recall one where the Commissar was a Superior Junior Leader but also gave the force +1 to its Force Morale roll. That's pretty cool. May have been a fan-made list, though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Ilor posted:

Well, I agree that the lack of a JL with the AT guns is probably a misprint. I mean, the L46 doesn't even list a crew, so that's obviously a misprint. As for the national rules, scouts are loving awesome, especially if they can move 2D6 and be Tactical. And for the barrage rule, we play it that it's usable even in scenarios that don't allow a preliminary barrage. As far as I know, that's "rules as written," and it too is pretty bad-rear end.

Barbarossa Commissars are whack, but I've seen other lists where the Commissar acts as a second Senior Leader and I recall one where the Commissar was a Superior Junior Leader but also gave the force +1 to its Force Morale roll. That's pretty cool. May have been a fan-made list, though.

That's actually in the other Soviet list posted on their site, and a far better rule for commissars. It matches their role as morale officers.

Maybe we should all put our collective sperg-heads together and come up with a good list.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I just got this plush mat in from Cigar Box Battles, it's really cool! It's definitely a super fleece blanket lol

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

muggins posted:

I just got this plush mat in from Cigar Box Battles, it's really cool! It's definitely a super fleece blanket lol

As if you don't wear that as a cape all the way from home up to the venue, and then dramatically whip it from your shoulders and cast it over the table in one motion

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

For you 6mm Cold War goons, any recommendations on where I can get some 6mm NVA & Soviets?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

As if you don't wear that as a cape all the way from home up to the venue, and then dramatically whip it from your shoulders and cast it over the table in one motion

Lol yessss

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Flipswitch posted:

For you 6mm Cold War goons, any recommendations on where I can get some 6mm NVA & Soviets?

I get my tiny communists from GHQ and CinC. Definitely get your infantry from GHQ. CinC has some nice specials on Soviet tank companies.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What are the GHQ infantry like? I've never seen decent closeups of them.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Hey long time lurker here who can actually contribute something!

Me and my gaming group played Clash of Monarchs (GMT game about 7 year war, 4 players) and it's pretty good! We are doing a full campaign that spans 5-6 years so things are a little different.

The first year its just Prussia vs Austria so me (french/Russian) and my other friend (England) just chilled out and helped out with rules and stuff. The game is pretty easy to pick up on after a few turns, but if you have any Analysis Paralysis guys the first couple of turns will go excruciatingly slow. Supply matters as well as protecting your supply route.

There is a KK box that abstracts the light infantrr/calvary attacking supply lines and it is... interesting. In a long game it might be a bit powerful, especially because one side can dominate it. Its essentially a risk-free plink 1-2 men off box that also contributes to long term destruction of the enemies economy.

We only got through a year and a half but so far its been a fun romp!

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

DiHK posted:

NWS Wargaming Store should be in the OP. For <$40 I got a full CoC US Airborne Platoon of WLG models.

The NWS store has fantastic prices, but the last time I ordered some mans from them one of the boxes came opened and smelling of cigarettes and mold (really strongly, in fact) and the bases sprue that normally comes in the box had been swapped out for five sets of bases from corners from some other sprue(s). They worked fine and don't smell after a quick wash and some paint, but still...

Gross.

(I'll probably still continue to buy since the prices are so great.)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Polikarpov posted:

I get my tiny communists from GHQ and CinC. Definitely get your infantry from GHQ. CinC has some nice specials on Soviet tank companies.
Thanks dude, their websites are bloody horrific though! :(

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

What's the recommended scenario + amount of support to use in CoC generally speaking? Don't want anything too fancy just a couple of cool toys, but it seems like the standard Patrol scenario barely gives you any support options.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Arquinsiel posted:

What are the GHQ infantry like? I've never seen decent closeups of them.

Here's a lovely cellphone pic of an RPG team I painted.

And a Motor-Rifle Company I have yet to paint.

Flipswitch posted:

Thanks dude, their websites are bloody horrific though! :(

Dehumanize yourself and face to grog :frogdowns:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

no i refuse, i've had to put up with army websites for years and these are even worse

looking at you peter pig

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Just be thankful they've finally evolved beyond mail-order.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

INinja132 posted:

What's the recommended scenario + amount of support to use in CoC generally speaking? Don't want anything too fancy just a couple of cool toys, but it seems like the standard Patrol scenario barely gives you any support options.
10 points will typically give you a decent tank and some other goodies. In terms of the basic scenarios, I find Probe (Scenario #2) to be one of the most interesting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Polikarpov posted:

Here's a lovely cellphone pic of an RPG team I painted.

And a Motor-Rifle Company I have yet to paint.

Yeah, those are definitely a bit more 3D than the Heroics and Ros dudes I got, but at that size and price I'm not sure I could really be bothered. The vehicles are much nicer and possibly even worth it.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Ilor posted:

My problem with the Soviet national rules is that they affect things that you might not even take in every game. Yeah, better bombardment and scouts is neat, but you don't buy bombardment and scouts in every game. Every other nation gets variations on "spend two command initiative to make your basic dudes do a thing better". And the scout one certainly is nice, but compared to the German grenade assault one, or the British LMG-snipe (:psyduck:) it's very underwhelming.

In fact, now that I think about it, I don't see any compelling reason to not make every nation have access to every "spend two command initiative to do a thing" action - They're all pretty expensive and situationally useful, and giving everyone access to them would give everyone more tactical options. That's definitely something we should try next time we play.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

My problem with the Soviet national rules is that they affect things that you might not even take in every game. Yeah, better bombardment and scouts is neat, but you don't buy bombardment and scouts in every game. Every other nation gets variations on "spend two command initiative to make your basic dudes do a thing better". And the scout one certainly is nice, but compared to the German grenade assault one, or the British LMG-snipe (:psyduck:) it's very underwhelming.

In fact, now that I think about it, I don't see any compelling reason to not make every nation have access to every "spend two command initiative to do a thing" action - They're all pretty expensive and situationally useful, and giving everyone access to them would give everyone more tactical options. That's definitely something we should try next time we play.

Indeed, as a German player I almost never use the improved MG rule. You're usually better of using that command initiative to remove a shock marker if you are in a firefight.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
But that's my point, you don't have to "take" scouts, you always have them. If you're not using them, you're missing a good opportunity to force your opponent's deployment. Similarly, my reading of the barrage rules means you always have one, and that it's more effective than the ones other forces pay for. As a late-war list, it makes sense. I wouldn't give it to early-war Soviets, as their production machine hadn't yet gotten up to speed to produce artillery in the quantities that they were cranking out by the end of the war.

There's a good late-war national ability for you - T-34s were crazy easy to produce, and the Soviets cranked them out in huge numbers by the end of the war. So maybe your national ability is to purchase tanks for one or two List levels cheaper than their "true" cost. That's pretty terrifying.

If you want a "pay 2 CI, activate an ability" kind of skill, go with one of the early war Soviet lists (maybe Stalingrad, I think?) where human waves were a thing. It's similar to "Handgranaten" but instead of hucking grenades first, it lets the SL activate as many sections as he wants simultaneously and lets them all charge up to 3D6. It's wicked effective for overwhelming entrenched positions, because the weight of bodies counteracts the effects of LMG and defensive obstacles in close combat, and spreads the resulting shock among multiple units (meaning they're more likely to be able to hold whatever position they just stormed).

And if you have a good idea for a different "pay 2 CI, activate an ability" national rule, post it! people here (myself included) are always looking for cool stuff for campaigns and scenarios.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Flipswitch posted:

no i refuse, i've had to put up with army websites for years and these are even worse

looking at you peter pig
Speaking of Peter Pig, they're doing a preorder discount on the new edition of their Vietnam rules, Men of Company B. Anyone played the original?

They have a mostly-readable info page here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Ilor posted:

But that's my point, you don't have to "take" scouts, you always have them. If you're not using them, you're missing a good opportunity to force your opponent's deployment. Similarly, my reading of the barrage rules means you always have one, and that it's more effective than the ones other forces pay for. As a late-war list, it makes sense. I wouldn't give it to early-war Soviets, as their production machine hadn't yet gotten up to speed to produce artillery in the quantities that they were cranking out by the end of the war.

Here we run into the biggest problem with COC - the rules aren't written very well and are very often ambiguous. The rules themselves are really good and work well, but minor details are very frequently ambiguous and contradictory. It suffers from a lack of proofreading.

My reading is that the Wrath of the Gods makes any barrages you buy better. If I'm wrong and you always get a WOTG barrage, why on earth can you also buy a normal barrage? How would that even work? Either way we interpret the rules, there are inconsistencies.

Ditto with the Scout rule - My understanding was that that Scout rule only applied to the Scout teams and squads you could buy in support, but it also seems to hint that you can split scout teams off from normal rifle teams.

How the hell does that work? Do I just point at every team I split off from a squad and say, "yo, these guys are scouts". There's no definition for what a Scout team is, or if there are any kinds of limits or prerequisites to making a split-off team a scout team.

quote:

If you want a "pay 2 CI, activate an ability" kind of skill, go with one of the early war Soviet lists (maybe Stalingrad, I think?) where human waves were a thing. It's similar to "Handgranaten" but instead of hucking grenades first, it lets the SL activate as many sections as he wants simultaneously and lets them all charge up to 3D6. It's wicked effective for overwhelming entrenched positions, because the weight of bodies counteracts the effects of LMG and defensive obstacles in close combat, and spreads the resulting shock among multiple units (meaning they're more likely to be able to hold whatever position they just stormed).

And if you have a good idea for a different "pay 2 CI, activate an ability" national rule, post it! people here (myself included) are always looking for cool stuff for campaigns and scenarios.

My idea was to just let everyone use everyone 2 CI abilities in the same game - Which would give Sergeants a larger tactical toolbox, giving everyone more options.

I guess I also just kinda dislike nation-specific special rules, because they feel very "gamey" and inaccurate to me. Like, realistically, surely US, UK, and USSR troops utilized the absolutely cutting-edge tactic of chucking grenades at people before attacking them, and that wasn't some exclusive German military secret. Likewise, I'd think that if a Sergeant of any nation spent more time and attention directing MG fire, he would get better results. The same thing applies to every one of the "use 2 CI" abilities.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 24, 2017