Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Trump has tipped the scales so hard that our calibration is all off and we don't know what the gently caress.

The fact that people look to Paul "I wish Ayn Rand would peg me" Ryan as the hope for the Republican party should stand l rights movement as a testament to how screwed up we are.

I just keep hoping against hope that once this election is over we will have a day of reckoning where every chiron on every news channel will denote who supported Trump forever more so we know how full of poo poo they are.

I was actually hoping for something like this. Sort of like how everyone marched with the civil movement while nobody spat on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I miss George W. All he did was enact regressive policy bassed on sky fairies and start wars.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
As a white dude married to a non-white woman I can't wait to dilute my race with my eventual offspring.

More serious question- why send these immigrants to the Midwest anyway? I saw a map in one of the election threads showing that the areas of the country receiving the most immigrants through federal programs are some of the whitest parts of the country- Minnesota, the Dakotas, and Iowa if I remember correctly. Do those areas just need the extra population or something? Or is it just that they can accommodate more people?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
They mention it on that episode. If I remember correctly it's because that's where the nonprofits which volunteered to help them a out are based out of.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

They mention it on that episode. If I remember correctly it's because that's where the nonprofits which volunteered to help them a out are based out of.

You mean the white people?!? :rolleyes:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Immigrants come here for two reasons. First is that Minnesota is great. Second is that winter keeps out the riff-raff. This means that we only receive the highest quality immigrants, people who have the fortitude and inventiveness to dig their car out of a two-foot snowfall at 6 in the morning, so they can get to work on time.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Immigrants come here for two reasons. First is that Minnesota is great. Second is that winter keeps out the riff-raff. This means that we only receive the highest quality immigrants, people who have the fortitude and inventiveness to dig their car out of a two-foot snowfall at 6 in the morning, so they can get to work on time.

Third because Minnesota has a desperate shortage of native flavorful spicy food. The real purpose of bringing immigrants in is to make the population of Saint Cloud understand the joys of kitfo.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

NAT-T Ice posted:

Third because Minnesota has a desperate shortage of native flavorful spicy food. The real purpose of bringing immigrants in is to make the population of Saint Cloud understand the joys of kitfo.

Oh yeah, forgot about that one guy's love of bland food.

Reminds me of when I was working in northern IL and I had a co-worker who said she wouldn't eat anything that was "spicier than ketchup". Ketchup isn't spicy ya dingus :psyduck:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Hey everyone, go listen to Heavyweigh by Jonathan Goldstein. He used to be on TAL, and then ran Wiretap on CBC for many years.

It's good.

https://gimletmedia.com/show/heavyweight/

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

axolotl farmer posted:

Hey everyone, go listen to Heavyweigh by Jonathan Goldstein. He used to be on TAL, and then ran Wiretap on CBC for many years.

It's good.

It is quite good. Episode 7 gets dark pretty quickly.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

axolotl farmer posted:

It's good.

These are pretty interesting, thanks for the suggestion. My favourite part of the episodes is Jonathan messing around with his sister at the start.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
TAL thought it would be a good idea to interview a few Pepe the Frog avatars this week and it was as horrifying as you would expect.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I have really enjoyed the segments Zoe Chase has been making about the conservative world for the past few months, looking forward to this episode

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The one young woman who when confronted with actual racist shitheads that spew on her behalf she halfheartedly can only muster a "well he's probably joking."

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I love the idea that this episode had people Democrats and Republicans can like. On the one hand you have immigrants trying to live the American dream...and on the other you have literal Nazi apologists. One of these things is not like the other.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

soggybagel posted:

The one young woman who when confronted with actual racist shitheads that spew on her behalf she halfheartedly can only muster a "well he's probably joking."

I was way more upset than I thought I would be when she kept saying it was alright because they were "trolling".

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Nazi chick was super likable cause you know doing poo poo for the lulz is loving totally understandable and relatable.

She did a good job with that one black kid in the south who wanted to vote for trump. I think he was gay too? One of the stories needed to be that and not whatever the gently caress she was.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have this half-baked theory in my brain that a sizable portion of those who consume fake news know or suspect it's fake and don't really care, as though any sort of wind blowing their way is welcome. Like it's this interior intellectual dishonesty that matches the reality they want to shape outside themselves.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It's not a theory, it's called 'bias'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I have a crazy theory where people like things that support their worldview but don't like things that challenge it and are willing to believe news that contradicts their worldview is actually lies made to trick them. I don't have a name for it but I'm filling out the patent as we speak.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
For those concerned, Starlee Kine has returned to the TAL fold.

http://www.avclub.com/article/serial-and-american-life-creators-launch-productio-249490

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Yay :)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

That "Corpse Bride" story sure was something... :stare:

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
yeah, was this the first necrophilia story on TAL?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

SousaphoneColossus posted:

yeah, was this the first necrophilia story on TAL?

If the answer to this is no, I don't think we should reply to this comment.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I like that this episode isn't about Trump voters. They should try that more often.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Snuffman posted:

That "Corpse Bride" story sure was something... :stare:

Looks like Florida Man goes back decades

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Finally listened to the Grand Gestures episode. I think I liked the last part the most.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
What did people think of this week's episode?

The Hawaiian island is insane. 19th century colonialism in action. "We know what's best for you."

The judge sounds like a huge pain in the butt but I appreciated how he went the extra mile to get an interpreter for that guy.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

zakharov posted:

What did people think of this week's episode?

The Hawaiian island is insane. 19th century colonialism in action. "We know what's best for you."

The judge sounds like a huge pain in the butt but I appreciated how he went the extra mile to get an interpreter for that guy.

I appreciated that the judge really did care about the law, but it did seem like he went too far sometimes. The Hawaiian thing was absolutely crazy to me.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The judge sounded pretty naive. He talked about processes but he didn't seem to realize is that the "process" is people. He'd make an excellent goon.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Ya goony is a good way to put it, I like his approach in theory but not as helpful in municipal court. There are plenty of places to get philosophical with a law background, and it's not in a situation where it's got you weighing the implications of waiving a fine for a homeless guy's 2012 open container citation.

I did laugh at people getting all serious-law-guy with the courtroom drama terminology lol

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

life is a joke posted:

Ya goony is a good way to put it, I like his approach in theory but not as helpful in municipal court. There are plenty of places to get philosophical with a law background, and it's not in a situation where it's got you weighing the implications of waiving a fine for a homeless guy's 2012 open container citation.

I did laugh at people getting all serious-law-guy with the courtroom drama terminology lol

I didn't laugh, because subjecting people to a system completely stacked against them because it's so arcane it requires multiple years of graduate school to understand is actually quite horrific and fundamentally unjust.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

UltraRed posted:

I didn't laugh, because subjecting people to a system completely stacked against them because it's so arcane it requires multiple years of graduate school to understand is actually quite horrific and fundamentally unjust.

I did, because the guy was a douche who didn't think a rule should apply to him and wasted the time of those who just wanted to plead guilty and get a smaller fine and get on with their lives. He later tied up the 10 items or less line at the grocery store with a full cart.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

S-Town sounds a lot like "Serial Season 3, but we aren't calling it that because we don't want it to be overhyped".

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Kangra posted:

S-Town sounds a lot like "Serial Season 3, but we aren't calling it that because we don't want it to be overhyped".

Yeah, certainly seems that way. Right down to the "we're putting all the episodes out at once so you can't complain when the conclusion doesn't live up to expectations because we've been dragging you along for 6 months.". I'll still give it a listen, I liked s1 and s2 of Serial.

Man, Ira's story about Mary this week was :unsmith: personified. All in all, a good episode this week.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Just started S-town, p good so far. First thing I noticed was that the S stands for "poo poo", I thought it was shorthand for St. Petersburg or some other S-city. The actual reason makes it cooler to me. Also, I was already sick of that master clockmaker metaphor so I'm glad they got it out the way right away, as to spare ~my immersion~.

Anyway I look forward to talking about it, I'm assuming in here?

e; lol this guy definitely a goon

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 28, 2017

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
The guy ranting about 95 churches and Jeebus was great.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I admit, they got me hooked with whole "is he really just crazy" element in the first episode.

I'll listen over the next few days, curious where this is going to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Only 20 minutes in and this guy is hilarious

• Locked thread