Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Q_res posted:

Local gameshop is having a tournament soon:

FFG's Star Wars Xwing Tournament

First Round at 1pm
4 rnds with cut if needed.
$5 entry

Format: Rookies
No Named Pilots or Ship Titles.
You Are flying Newbs...

Would that be a good way to cut my teeth on the game?

Are you in Louisville by chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I imagine that 4x Y-Wing w/TLT will be popular there.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I wonder how 4 Tempest Squadrons with Clusters and AccCor would do...

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Going off that, I wonder, but would it be interesting for the game to have upgrades that specifically help non unique ships? In particular something which would make the mid PS generic interesting to fly? Things like a title like "Red/Gold/Blue Leader", which would buff other ships?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Just on the theme of "Inspiring Recruit" I'd love to have some kind of generic only upgrade named "Tenacious Rookie"

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

lazerus06 posted:

Are you in Louisville by chance?

Indeed.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Generic pilots only doesn't sound as bad as that one tournament where the TO deducted points based on how far your list deviated from his verisimilitude, but it still seems like it'd get kind of dull after a point.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Q_res posted:

Indeed.

Nice! I am in Etown but try to make it to Heroes for the trash compactor league.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Iceclaw posted:

Going off that, I wonder, but would it be interesting for the game to have upgrades that specifically help non unique ships? In particular something which would make the mid PS generic interesting to fly? Things like a title like "Red/Gold/Blue Leader", which would buff other ships?

You could make up a new keyword that's basically "non-unique and does not have the <<EPT>> upgrade" slot to save card space I guess. Then make one for each ship type, based on what that ship's generics need.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I really need to stop my obsession with terrible homebrew

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Delvan Mud is never again allowed to complain about anything that happens with green dice for the rest of his dumb life.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Delvan Mud is never again allowed to complain about anything that happens with green dice for the rest of his dumb life.

But I will!

For context: I'm running FennZuckMan against Rey and Horton. Turn two finds Fenn and Rey facing off at range one, and I don't have any focus because it's my first time playing the list and stupidly barrel rolled with both Manaroo and Zuckuss. Rey's jankery is 3 crits and 2 hits, which Fenn promptly negates with four rolled evades and a fifth from the title.

Womp womp.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I live for those moments

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ohio regional was Dash/Miranda v. Dash/Miranda at the final table which makes me wanna go back to a Dash list if hes still rockin it but i also wanna play FenZukMan. Decisions....

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

I imagine that 4x Y-Wing w/TLT will be popular there.

Glaive's with x7 would probably be pretty popular too. Not sure how they match up with TLT squads tho.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

TheKingslayer posted:

Glaive's with x7 would probably be pretty popular too. Not sure how they match up with TLT squads tho.

They loving wreck them. TIE/Ds with Tractor Beams wreck them too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TheKingslayer posted:

No titles.

BBBBZ or an 8x TIE Swarm would probably do some work too.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Never stop.

Also lol @ the continued horrible efforts to make the TIE Scout a thing.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

AndyElusive posted:

Never stop.

It's like my heroin. Seeing this poo poo makes me feel so much better about my life.

Also the heroin helps

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

canyoneer posted:

No titles.

Oh what?! BS.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Never stop.

I see no reason not to take five of them with AccCor and Collision Detector. 40 HP, two damage without needing to roll, ignore crits on obstacles.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

No titles.

No titles is dumb as gently caress as it makes many ships, like the Arc, the A-Wing, the Interceptor, and the TIE/sf completely unusable.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Was it no titles or no unique titles?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

No titles is dumb as gently caress as it makes many ships, like the Arc, the A-Wing, the Interceptor, and the TIE/sf completely unusable.

Yeah at that point I guess it's crack swarm or regular swarm just smashing Y and B-Wings into dust? Or maybe two resistance sympathizers and two Z's?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

I live for those moments

Honestly should keep a camera ready so I can have photos of peoples' expression when Fenn does something amazing. One shot Whisper *click*, One shot Corran *click* avoid 5 damage from you spending a focus and a TL *click click click*

I really need a tiny brush to put kill markers on him.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Stop trying to sell me on using Fenn. It's not working. At all. No siree.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fangs are some of the best canvases for cool and good paintjobs.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

So, here what's I'm gonna play, because turns out I don't have Inertial Dampeners. That and Tac Jam makes Cassian even harder to kill.
Cassian Andor (27)
Elusiveness (2)
Sensor Jammer (4)
Jan Ors (2)
Jyn Erso (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Pivot Wing (0)

Rey (45)
Expertise (4)
Finn (5)
Kanan Jarrus (3)
Burnout SLAM (1)
Smuggling Compartment (0)
Tactical Jammer (1)
Millennium Falcon (TFA) (1)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I forget, does SLAM count as executing a maneuver? If so, could you trigger the MF Sloop title off it?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Some Numbers posted:

I forget, does SLAM count as executing a maneuver? If so, could you trigger the MF Sloop title off it?

I'm about 99% sure that works, but I'd have to double check the wording of SLAM

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, the rules card specifically calls out a SLAM as executing a maneuver.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Going to the Mustafar Open this weekend after all! I'm riding in with the Team Covenant crew, woo!

Any of you guys gonna be there?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Being in southern Indiana, I'm at the epicenter of several tournaments throughout the months.

They're all 3-4 hours away of course.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
That's rough. I love any competitive environment, but I have a hard time getting my friends to travel an hour for a tourney.

Anyone here repaint their minis or wash and clear them?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

always be closing posted:

That's rough. I love any competitive environment, but I have a hard time getting my friends to travel an hour for a tourney.

Anyone here repaint their minis or wash and clear them?

Yeah we got some guys that do a lot of painting.

Me? I put some stripes on my Decimator and TIE fighters. That's about it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The Inquisitor (25)
Push the Limit (3)
Proton Rockets (3)
Guidance Chips (0)
TIE/v1 (1)

"Pure Sabacc" (22)
Crack Shot (1)
Lightweight Frame (2)
Adaptive Ailerons (0)

Maarek Stele (TIE Defender) (35)
Push the Limit (3)
Tractor Beam (1)
Hull Upgrade (3)
TIE/D (0)

Total: 99

Kinda trying to throw something together with what I own. I dunno, really feels like I should have one more ship in here. Maybe I'll buy another Striker?

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
Anyone have any experience with testors water slide decal printer paper? I want to put the scootypuff jr. logo on my tie fighters, but don't want to go to the trouble of getting the stuff if it won't work.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Inquisitor (25)
Push the Limit (3)
Proton Rockets (3)
Guidance Chips (0)
TIE/v1 (1)

"Pure Sabacc" (22)
Crack Shot (1)
Lightweight Frame (2)
Adaptive Ailerons (0)

Maarek Stele (TIE Defender) (35)
Push the Limit (3)
Tractor Beam (1)
Hull Upgrade (3)
TIE/D (0)

Total: 99

Kinda trying to throw something together with what I own. I dunno, really feels like I should have one more ship in here. Maybe I'll buy another Striker?

If you have Autothrusters, you should

a) Put those on Inquisitor
b) Put Twin Ion Mk2 on Maarek. Defenders have almost no greens without it, and you'll be stressed from PTL

If you don't have autothrusters, you should still put Twin Ion Mk II on Maarek instead of hull.

You'll also find that, in general, Tractor Beams are better when they shoot first in your list, so maybe drop the tractor beam in favor of Ion and Twin Ion?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ConfusedUs posted:

If you have Autothrusters, you should

a) Put those on Inquisitor
b) Put Twin Ion Mk2 on Maarek. Defenders have almost no greens without it, and you'll be stressed from PTL

If you don't have autothrusters, you should still put Twin Ion Mk II on Maarek instead of hull.

You'll also find that, in general, Tractor Beams are better when they shoot first in your list, so maybe drop the tractor beam in favor of Ion and Twin Ion?

I have neither TIE Mk2 or Autothrusters and I'm very annoyed that they're attached to two terrible ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Improbable Lobster posted:

I have neither TIE Mk2 or Autothrusters and I'm very annoyed that they're attached to two terrible ships.

Then you need to re-do that Maarek entirely. PTL when you only have a couple of greens (all of them straight moves) is a terrible idea.

If this isn't for a tourney you can probably proxy things. VI, Juke (if you switched to TIE x7 instead of TIE/D), and Expertise are all pretty good EPTs for Maarek.

• Locked thread