Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

doverhog posted:

That makes about as munch sense as saying that, as a whole, developing beyond a hunter gatherer level was probably a bad thing for humanity.

Well now that you mention it…

http://discovermagazine.com/1987/may/02-the-worst-mistake-in-the-history-of-the-human-race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hard counter posted:

the darkest chocolates are the only good chocolates imuo, save for certain whites

My love for milk chocolate hasn't changed but the older I get the more I love dark chocolate and the less I care for white

For another food based opinion, I think steak tartare is good but if you order one of the weirdly large entree versions of it as opposed to just sharing it with people as an appetizer I'm gonna think you're a strange person. It's basically a spread and spreads aren't entrees, it's like getting a thing of crab dip for dinner at a restauraunt all for yourself

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

My love for milk chocolate hasn't changed but the older I get the more I love dark chocolate and the less I care for white

For another food based opinion, I think steak tartare is good but if you order one of the weirdly large entree versions of it as opposed to just sharing it with people as an appetizer I'm gonna think you're a strange person. It's basically a spread and spreads aren't entrees, it's like getting a thing of crab dip for dinner at a restauraunt all for yourself

I've had cheese and fruit plates a dinner before. Ain't nothing wrong with having an appetizer for a dinner. How do you feel about people that just eat buffalo wings for dinner?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've had cheese and fruit plates a dinner before. Ain't nothing wrong with having an appetizer for a dinner. How do you feel about people that just eat buffalo wings for dinner?

Cheese and fruit plates is a weird solo dinner if you're going to a restauraunt for it. Buffalo wings less so cause a cheese and fruit plate is definitely supposed to be a shared experience, you can get a thing of buffalo wings for one person.

I dunno, I guess it's more the fancier and less practical the shared food is for me. Like if someone ordered a charcuterie board for an entree I'd think it was weird but if they just got like spring rolls or something I'd just assume they weren't that hungry

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
All chocolate is good

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Henchman of Santa posted:

All chocolate is good

Even drinking chocolate?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ramagamma posted:

Even drinking chocolate?

Like hot cocoa or like those little chocolate bottles with booze in them? Or is "drinking chocolate" just a thing I've never heard of?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Like hot cocoa or like those little chocolate bottles with booze in them? Or is "drinking chocolate" just a thing I've never heard of?

Welcome to the Mayan Empire, hope you enjoy your hot chocolate bitter and spicy and served with a helping of children's blood!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

Welcome to the Mayan Empire, hope you enjoy your hot chocolate bitter and spicy and served with a helping of children's blood!

Just like mom used to make!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Americans calling the main course "entrée" is weird and dumb. Why are there so many food and cooking based differences between American and normal English?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Tiggum posted:

Americans calling the main course "entrée" is weird and dumb.

I just learned something

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Collateral Damage posted:

What if you masturbate while questioning your own existence?

cogito ergo cum

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Americans calling the main course "entrée" is weird and dumb. Why are there so many food and cooking based differences between American and normal English?

Is entrée seriously not used anywhere but America and France? That's an interesting discrepancy. Even like Ruby Tuesdays and random 24/7 diners have entrees listed. The only difference is the nicer places where it's like 1-thru-4+ course meals

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
What you call an appetizer is the entree, that's why it's weird and dumb to call the main meal entree.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If its on a tray its an entree. Thats just science.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

My PHUO is Skyline chili rules. Maybe it's a nostalgia thing but I don't understand the hate for it. Probably the only good thing about Ohio.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

gleebster posted:

cogito ergo cum

Spat my morning tea out at this one.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

shy boy from chess club posted:

My PHUO is Skyline chili rules. Maybe it's a nostalgia thing but I don't understand the hate for it. Probably the only good thing about Ohio.

It sucks, but don't worry. Ohio still has Great Lakes Brewing Company which has fantastic beers. Burning River and Blackout Stout are two of my favorites.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Religious belief is a mental illness.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Please don't Jastiger-post, we already have him in this thread enough.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are victims, not mentally ill.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Please don't Jastiger-post, we already have him in this thread enough.
I'm not trolling, I'm stating my honest opinion here. You have to realize who I'm talking about here. There are lots of people who call themselves religious but really aren't, they don't let it seriously affect any aspect of their life. Maybe they'll get married in church or put up some religious symbol for a holiday but that's because of tradition or expectation and not conviction.

The people who honestly think that there is some hosed up magic sky man called God or Jesus or Allah or whatever who they have to please through their life and let it affect their decisions are the ones who need to get their head examined. Especially when they bring mental or physical harm on others in the belief that their deity of choice will approve of their actions.

Of course I'm well aware there are also those who (possibly) know that religion is a sham but fake conviction in order to exploit others and/or further their personal or political agenda.

Mu Zeta posted:

They are victims, not mentally ill.
All mentally ill people are victims of their disease. You don't blame them for it, you get them help.

Collateral Damage has a new favorite as of 18:01 on Jan 24, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do you wear a fedora and/or have a neckbeard

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think their point was that nobody is born religious. They are either raised that way or are drawn to it later in life for various reasons that don't necessarily involve mental illness.

For most people religion is part coping mechanism, part social club. You would have to have a very loose definition of mentally ill to think everyone at church that says they believe in God is nuts.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 18:27 on Jan 24, 2017

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hes right tho. In any other application we would be concerned for their well being. But oh, the voices arent voices, its "Jesus" so somehow its ok? Gimme a break.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think their point was that nobody is born religious. They are either raised that way or are drawn to it later in life for various reasons that don't necessarily involve mental illness.
That is a fair point. However, PTSD is defined as a mental disorder. Nobody's born with PTSD either. Is there a subtle difference between "illness" and "disorder" in this context? There isn't for me, but I'll admit English isn't my first language.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I wish I invented Scientology.

I also wish I invented the business model that those bidding "deals dash dot com" type websites use.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
itt who has the longest neckbeard

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

That is a fair point. However, PTSD is defined as a mental disorder. Nobody's born with PTSD either. Is there a subtle difference between "illness" and "disorder" in this context? There isn't for me, but I'll admit English isn't my first language.

You can't compare the two. PTSD is demonstrably caused by "traumatic stress". Being religious is caused by...religious parents imparting their beliefs and values on their kids? It's like saying being kind to others or being a Democrat/Republican is a mental illness. Everyone is raised with some kind of bias in beliefs/values based on who their parents are. When they get old enough to think for themselves they can either decide to continue believing or not. It doesn't make you "ill" to decide you still believe as an adult. It might not be solid scientifically but the whole message/idea is that you have to take it on faith. Having faith is not an illness.

There certainly are mentally ill religious people, but trying to paint them all with the same brush like Jastiger likes to do is ignorant. Don't be a Jastiger.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Jan 24, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Soiled Meat
Most religious people are very happy with where they are, but I'm sure they would appreciate your sadbrains edgy "concern".

Or

There certainly are mentally ill religious people, but trying to paint them all with the same brush like Jastiger likes to do is ignorant. Don't be a Jastiger.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Crisps are better than chocolate as far as snack food goes.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf posted:

Crisps are better than chocolate as far as snack food goes.

Crisps are the superior snack food especially wheat crunchies and nik naks

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

You can't compare the two. PTSD is demonstrably caused by "traumatic stress". Being religious is caused by...religious parents imparting their beliefs and values on their kids? It's like saying being kind to others or being a Democrat/Republican is a mental illness. Everyone is raised with some kind of bias in beliefs/values based on who their parents are. When they get old enough to think for themselves they can either decide to continue believing or not. It doesn't make you "ill" to decide you still believe as an adult. It might not be solid scientifically but the whole message/idea is that you have to take it on faith. Having faith is not an illness.

Having faith isnt an illness but its often a symptom of one and often indistinguishable from one. I dont see how faith being "bad" is painting with the wrong brush? Its accurate, its just a matter of degree

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Having faith isnt an illness but its often a symptom of one and often indistinguishable from one. I dont see how faith being "bad" is painting with the wrong brush? Its accurate, its just a matter of degree

People have faith all the time in things, religious or not. You have faith you won't die on the way to work today, or that your boss won't fire you next week.

Only having thoughts that are 100% scientifically proven is robotic/inhuman. Nobody who isn't on the spectrum views life in a purely logical way. Faith, in whatever form it is, is normal and part of being human.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

That does seem a bit like going too far.

Most people who really think about questions like what are the origins of the universe are usually also stuck with the why and how. For the most part the universe follows a deterministic cause--> effect scheme even if at the quantum level the effect is just favoring a certain probability distribution over another, from that situation you're stuck with the question of how a 'deterministic' universe can be the cause for itself. How can something arise from apparently nothing if we accept the big bang model as being the best explanation with our current understanding? Without going into particulars you're stuck assuming the universe has this apparently fantastic one time property of being able to ignore cause and effect to produce its own creation, a creation that came with a set of apparently arbitrary laws and constants that could've been varied. Alternately you can assume that there is a separate something that doesn't have those limitations that was responsible for creating a universe that does.

There's no good way of separating a better explanation from those two using strictly logical methods. Agnostics live somewhere around here and sometimes say there's no way of knowing whether is or isn't a creator, or they say there must logically be a creator but that entity is completely unknowable. Atheists assume strictly no creator whatsoever while theists take it for granted. Assumptions everywhere. Of the theists most ultimately believe the Creator really just wants them to not be assholes to each other, while that situation is obviously prone to manipulation by people who think they can define rear end in a top hat to their advantage that situation's pretty ... reasonable? I can't fault someone who thinks it's their cosmic destiny to be kind to others. If you were going down this path you'd probably look for a religion that has the best take on morality but there's many other ways of getting here.

Atheists and Agnostics are also left with the question of what to do with themselves in the time they have and sometimes that doesn't fly so hot either. Some would argue that life should be spent for the betterment of humanity because it's your only legacy while others would say since there's only one life to live in the whole of eternity, just live it for yourself subjectively and gently caress everyone else. Again that situation is prone to manipulation by people who think they can define things to their advantage.

Some people fall into any of these beliefs because of the culture they were born into or their life experiences but you can also arrive here from a place of genuine curiosity. Either way sadbrains are not required.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I just don't really consciously think about stuff that can't be measured/modeled. I dunno if that's incompatible with Faith or whatever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ramagamma posted:

Crisps are the superior snack food especially wheat crunchies and nik naks

The best brand of crisps is Tayto, but specifically Northern Ireland Tayto (ROI Tayto are also good).

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Most of us need some degree of faith in order to board an airplane or make use of medicine. Faith is absolutely necessary, and a good and useful tool in a society with any degree of specialization.

Religion is good and useful, too, for a bunch of reasons, one of which is that we live in a society with a high degree of specialization, and we need effective, working solutions; we need pre-constructed belief systems, whether they are religious, political, or ethical, it doesn't matter, they are at their core based on faith and personal experience rather than logic.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Aramek posted:

I just don't really consciously think about stuff that can't be measured/modeled. I dunno if that's incompatible with Faith or whatever.

yeah that's totally fine if it works for you but some people just take the fact that they exist as the universe poking them with a stick and asking well why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I guess I see capital f Faith as different from faith. It probably isn't really, but Faith seems to require effort, like, it's something you have to consciously do, whereas hoping your phone won't explode today is a small f faith.

It's not like you thinking/worrying is gonna change the outcome, so why think about it?