Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Nah, they've always been beefy dudes inside the armour, they just respawn when killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
They'd make p good counts as fleshhounds in a tzeentch demons army.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
birddogs are actually sweet, Sigmarines are well...more sigmarines.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Miles O'Brian posted:

They'd make p good counts as fleshhounds in a tzeentch demons army.

Hell, maybe use them instead of horrors in a tzeentch mortals army

edit: or maybe little babby horrors riding on top of puppos

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is why Age of Sigmar doesn't have any rules about what miniatures to take. So you can make an army that's just dozens of bird dogs.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SteelMentor posted:

More Stormcast on the way.

'least they've got some bare heads.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/01/23/the-vanguard-of-the-storm/

Also boxes of Birbdogs.

Birddogs rad, otherwise they aren't even loving trying anymore.

There are only like three poses on them! They used to make kits with good pose-ability, now they are going the Privateer Press route of three man units with 2 of the models being the same.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 23, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
To be fair, the studio models are always posed in the most boring, by the instructions ways. Vary the positions of the head, mix around the arms and legs and they're much more variable.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I like what they're trying to do with the birddogs, but ultimately they just look unfinished to me. They could have used at least a little fur texture on their bodies. Course, maybe it's for the best because when GW tries to do actual fur, it ends up looking like feathers anyway:

Also their chest spike looks really doofy.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Bird dogs look like a lot of fun to paint. Hopefully the new Stormcast codex will have relics and spells, like the more recent codexes have. Sounds like an entirely updated codex and not a chamber book?

Odd to say that the stormcast hunters are wearing lighter gear. Adding a pelt over your full plate just makes it heavier. Stormcast must never sweat.

That said, I do like Stormcast a lot. Not sure they need any new units, they have all the battlefield roles covered cept casting. Any mid-range melee/shooter hybrid will have trouble beating dedicated melee or dedicated shooting options.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 23, 2017

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SteelMentor posted:

More Stormcast on the way.

'least they've got some bare heads.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/01/23/the-vanguard-of-the-storm/

These are literally just loving space marines

they even have pistols and melee weapons

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Moola posted:

Photoshop the useless crossbow parts at the front of the gun

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
"Uh, how do crossbows work again?" :downs:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

Wow moola, I bet you think terran marines are space marines too.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

oh good more loving sigmarines

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The bird dogs would be good Hunters of the Wild in my Kings of War army.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
So wait the Sigmarines are already getting a revised Battletome? Really?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

They probably want to give them the allegiance bonus stuff for picking stormcast instead of Order, sort of like Sylvaneth and Tzeentch. I thought they would just update everything in a GHB 2 or something. I guess they want to update the precious golden guys earlier but seems heavy to make a whole book for that. Anyways that's my theory.

Maybe they do that for Bloodbound, too, since they could probably use the help more

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

It's time for a new GUO

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Why does GW even have a separate fantasy line, when their sci-fi line IS their fantasy line?

Elves in space: Eldar, High and Dark, if you please

Orcs and goblins in space: Orks and grots and stuff

Humans in space: heavy religious knights, space
marines, literally every other culture/army, Imperial Guard

Halflings in space: Imperial Guard

Ogres in space: Imperial Guard

Undead in space: Necron

Demons in space: chaos

Chaos guys in space: chaos marines

Dwarves in space: Squats. Technically don't exist any longer, but they used to. They'd fit right in with the meta-humans of the Imperial Guard.

Monster horde in space: tyranids

Animes in space: Tau

I know there's some loving dragons and poo poo kicking around too. You might have to dig into the older stuff though.

There are even loving wizards. WIZARDS

I swear I'm forgetting a billion armies

The two lines have always at least shared chaos daemons and gods know what else.

If they're serious about this AoS stuff, they should just dump the whole lot into a big pile of tanks fighting ratmen.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Pvt.Scott posted:

Why does GW even have a separate fantasy line, when their sci-fi line IS their fantasy line?

Dwarves in space: Squats. Technically don't exist any longer, but they used to. They'd fit right in with the meta-humans of the Imperial Guard.

I know there's some loving dragons and poo poo kicking around too. You might have to dig into the older stuff though.

The two lines have always at least shared chaos daemons and gods know what else.

If they're serious about this AoS stuff, they should just dump the whole lot into a big pile of tanks fighting ratmen.

Because WHFB came out before 40k and the 40k factions were mostly sci fi versions of the fantasy factions, plus space marines.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Pvt.Scott posted:

Lol if you don't think there's a moderate possibility that they'll just merge both the games into one

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pvt.Scott posted:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

fozzy fosbourne posted:

They probably want to give them the allegiance bonus stuff for picking stormcast instead of Order, sort of like Sylvaneth and Tzeentch. I thought they would just update everything in a GHB 2 or something. I guess they want to update the precious golden guys earlier but seems heavy to make a whole book for that. Anyways that's my theory.

Maybe they do that for Bloodbound, too, since they could probably use the help more

When we talk about GW being bad at design, or design at least being secondary to pushing the model ranges, this is what we're talking about. It's a minor change, but still one fundamental to choosing a force and that says to me that they're still making this up as they go.

These types of faction bonuses and benefits should have been settled before the first book was written, but now they're having to go back and invalidate source books that are barely a year old. Unless it's not replacing the existing one and instead you'll need both to get the most out of your Sigmarines, in which case lol.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Supposedly James Hewitt from mantic did Silver Tower, Gorechosen, the Sylvaneth battle tome, and some of the new Bloodbowl rules (they don't accredit their designers because hams threaten to kill them lol). Not sure if he was involved with Tzeentch stuff. I think he did the Dark Eldar boxed game, too.

So some of these changes in direction could be the presence of new talent. I agree that they should get their poo poo together and should have just released the GHB and Sylvaneth-style battletome out of the gates.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Business Gorillas posted:

Lol if you don't think there's a moderate possibility that they'll just merge both the games into one

I could see them using this as a way to bail out on the rules in AoS which are still a huge point of contention with a significant portion of the player base.

Release Age of the Emperor with a streamlined 40k ruleset, release a GHB-type rebalancing/rule adjusting book, release GHB 2 for AoS with the option to use the core rules from Age of the Emperor. Take them reality balls and smash them together.

At this point, why not? It works for Warmahordes.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Dibs on Stormvermin with jump packs and lightning claws.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's a minor change, but still one fundamental to choosing a force and that says to me that they're still making this up as they go.

These types of faction bonuses and benefits should have been settled before the first book was written, but now they're having to go back and invalidate source books that are barely a year old. Unless it's not replacing the existing one and instead you'll need both to get the most out of your Sigmarines, in which case lol.

Right, I moderately agree. Where I disagree is only in that they appear to be adding these features by request of the community. TGA (the grand alliance) is one of the core forums for AoS posts from Brit players and they were asking for relics, school of magic, etc, for a while to add more depth to the game (although now they are complaining that there are too many rules, so go figure).

GW seems to have a lot of trouble reasoning through how to support their games as a service (in the TF/Dota sense of an ongoing service with changing content and rules) without causing situations like this to happen. As far as I know, the relics, etc, aren't available in the app as a free download. Maybe they are now or will be soon, but I think it's okay for them to be updating the content as long as they have some way of delivering the patches within reason. I thought the $25 Generals' Handbook was _Fine_, but I don't think relics and spells are worth $50 for a new stormcast codex, but I'll probably have to pay it because I play stormcast and I really want relics and spells.

That said, I don't think Forge World has handled this very well either. I play a bunch of horus heresy and if you own the digital books you get updates for free, but if you buy the physical books you get outdated. I think it's good they are willing to patch the game, but patches have to be delivered at low cost to everyone. (That's the genius of Steam.)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

GreenMarine posted:

Right, I moderately agree. Where I disagree is only in that they appear to be adding these features by request of the community. TGA (the grand alliance) is one of the core forums for AoS posts from Brit players and they were asking for relics, school of magic, etc, for a while to add more depth to the game (although now they are complaining that there are too many rules, so go figure).

GW seems to have a lot of trouble reasoning through how to support their games as a service (in the TF/Dota sense of an ongoing service with changing content and rules) without causing situations like this to happen. As far as I know, the relics, etc, aren't available in the app as a free download. Maybe they are now or will be soon, but I think it's okay for them to be updating the content as long as they have some way of delivering the patches within reason. I thought the $25 Generals' Handbook was _Fine_, but I don't think relics and spells are worth $50 for a new stormcast codex, but I'll probably have to pay it because I play stormcast and I really want relics and spells.

That said, I don't think Forge World has handled this very well either. I play a bunch of horus heresy and if you own the digital books you get updates for free, but if you buy the physical books you get outdated. I think it's good they are willing to patch the game, but patches have to be delivered at low cost to everyone. (That's the genius of Steam.)

Oh, you'll hear no praise for Forgeworld from me.

I agree that it's tough to balance the changing needs of the community with ongoing development of the game, but it seems to me like AoS would have benefited from a public beta and actually listening to what consumers wanted in a fantasy battle game rather than trying to force a half finished product on them.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Crossposting

SteelMentor posted:

There's another Warhammer Quest box on the way: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/01/24/your-quest-continues/

No new heroes from the looks of things, maybe new sculpts?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
That duardin with the shotgun looks new.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'm pretty sure they're all different heroes, given that the ad copy calls them out as such. It's just impossible to tell one Sigmarine from another.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

GreenMarine posted:

Nah.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

Photoshop the useless crossbow parts at the front of the gun

e. now it looks like a bolter that ends in a dick with tiny balls

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 24, 2017

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

GreenMarine posted:

god I loving hate this name

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Moola posted:

god I loving hate this name

this is the post that triggered me

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
This podcast is an interesting discussion of the state of competitive AoS:

https://soundcloud.com/scrubyandwells/ep-11-balance-and-fun-in-age-of-sigmar

Thought it was an enjoyable listen.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

lol "cocksmith"

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Fish and Chimps posted:

lol "cocksmith"

Cocksmith Dickhammerers, a new unit allowing players to insert an avatar of themselves into the Age of Sigmar

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

GreenMarine posted:

It's official, I'm a grog. I want to say "Don't you mean dwarf?" I won't, because that's a jerky thing to do. But I really want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Realtalk, Dicksmith Hammerhands is one of my pen names.

• Locked thread