Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I need recommendations for two-player board games (or games that work well with two players) that don't take up a ton of space.

A small checker board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I need recommendations for two-player board games (or games that work well with two players) that don't take up a ton of space.

I'm a fan of NOIR and Boss Monster myself, though Love Letter (and all it's versions) can be played with two people.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FactsAreUseless posted:

You'll probably have more success in the Board Game thread, but some good 2p games that have a small footprint are:

Patchwork (currently the darling child of light 2p games, basically everyone in the BG thread would recommend it)
Tash-Kalar
Morels
Yomi (also on Steam/iOS)
Samurai Spirit (not fantastic but alright and the only 2p co-op that doesn't eat table space that I know of)
Various TCGs/LCGs (I'm not really that knowledgeable about these though)

There's probably more, but those are the ones I own and love. Sadly a lot of good 2p games require more table space like Battlecon, 7 Wonders Duel, or Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ratpick posted:

I've only given Stars Without Number a cursory read, but it seems very similar: Domains have Wealth, Military and Social scores. Locations a Domain controls increase these stats: for an example, having access to a gold mine would give you +2 Wealth, while a Town within your Domain will give you +2 Wealth and Social in addition to modifiers unique to each Town (like, a town with a proud military tradition might give +2 Military and so on). You also have Ruins, which also give a stat bonus to a Domain that controls them (for an example, a Ruin which used to be the seat of the king who ruled all these lands might give you +2 Social, because being able to control it is a pretty convincing way to add legitimacy to your rule).

Before Domains can tap Resources or Ruins they have to resolve whatever issues they might have: the assumption is that Domains have already resolved whatever issue there is with a given location that lies within their borders at the beginning of the campaign, but should they wish to expand their borders into other locations they must first resolve whatever issue there is at that location. Each issue also has a set of tags that determine what stat is used to resolve that issue, and some types of issues even require special units to resolve. For an example, a tribe of goblinods squatting in a mine would have to be resolved with a Military test, and so on.

It's also openly stated that not every issue on the campaign map needs to be resolved through Domain play: with the assumption being that players start as low level characters beneath the notice of Domains, it's entirely possible that the players resolve these issues through simple play. If the PCs go into the aforementioned mine and drive off the goblins its issue would now be resolved and whichever Domain happens to have it within their borders would now be able to make use of it. Apparently the idea is that the GM use the Domain system to add organic background events to the campaign world which the players can react to, meaning that even before the PCs get to name level they already know at least something about what's going on in the world politically speaking.

It also ties PCs into the Domain Management and Mass Combat systems: once characters reach a certain level they start gaining Champion abilities on top of their normal class-based abilities, which actually make the PCs assets to whichever Domain they are loyal to. A Dwarf PC might give the Domain they are loyal to the Dwarf Friend asset, which allows for the recruitment of dwarven units, while a Cleric PC, simply by virtue of existing, will attract a bunch of pilgrims into the Domain they are loyal to and have them build a Shrine.

It's cool.

Great write up of An Echo, Resounding. Thank you.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/99063/An-Echo-Resounding-A-Sourcebook-for-Lordship-and-War

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 21, 2017

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

FactsAreUseless posted:

Star Realms, Hero Realms, and Epic

Added bonus is that they're all 20 bucks or less

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Hive has a travel version that knocks the size down some.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's that reprint of the original version of Ogre that SJG put out a couple years ago, maybe hunt that down

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You mean Pocket OGRE?

Good luck. That edition is reselling at a ridiculous premium and is OOP.

Edit: I mean if you want to take your chances on eBay they start at 17 plus shipping.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 22, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

You mean Pocket OGRE?

Good luck. That edition is reselling at a ridiculous premium and is OOP.

Guess I was lucky buying it when I did then, still need to eventually get the newer version though

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Basically it's like a nine dollar game going for at least twice that used, making it difficult to guarantee you get all the required counters.

Edit: Actual MSRP was 2.95, because Steve wanted to thank everyone for still being interested in his little tank game after all these years, and that was the original price.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 22, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Basically it's like a nine dollar game going for at least twice that used, making it difficult to guarantee you get all the required counters.

Edit: Actual MSRP was 2.95, because Steve wanted to thank everyone for still being interested in his little tank game after all these years, and that was the original price.

Yeah I was glad to get it, I'd wanted Ogre since I first found out about it when I was like 12, still regret not getting into the kickstarter for the current version

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh yes, the deluxe version is truly massive and if you're going to play it often was totally worth it. I didn't back because I would have no opportunity to play it for the foreseeable future.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Ratpick posted:

An Echo Resounding

Nice. How well does the domain system interact with the faction system from Godbound? Would you need to pick one or the other?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

How well does Race For The Galaxy play with two? I used to enjoy it a lot years ago, but always with 3-4 players.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

How well does Race For The Galaxy play with two? I used to enjoy it a lot years ago, but always with 3-4 players.

Really good. We love it.

We play with the Alien Artifacts expansion but just for the card variety, not the orb map thingy (which is valid in the rules and what the designer recommends for not over-complicating things).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Is Jaipur worth tracking down? It got a lot of recommendations but I think it's out of print.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is Jaipur worth tracking down? It got a lot of recommendations but I think it's out of print.

It looks like they have it at Cool Stuff Inc, Miniature Market, Cardhaus, etc:
http://www.boardgameprices.com/prices/jaipur
Those are the major online places I check.

I think it's a pretty good game for 2 players, yeah. A little lighter than Race, for sure.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

These are 2 player games that have a relatively compact foot print that I like:
Dominion
Race for the Galaxy
Netrunner*
Innovation
Baseball Highlights 2045
Patchwork
Jaipur
Lost Cities
Arkham Horror Card Game*

I also like Tash Kalar and Puzzle Strike but my wife isn't too keen on them so they don't get as much play.

*Netrunner and Arkham Horror LCG are "lifestyle games" where you keep buying a bunch of poo poo, so fair warning, they probably don't hold up forever with just the base game.

E: vvv This is cool, too.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 22, 2017

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I will add that Sherlock Holmes : Consulting Detective is a great two person game with almost no footprint at all. My girlfriend and me played it in parks and on the train and stuff.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
My fiancée and I enjoy Rivals of Cataan, a two-player card game based on the Cataan setting.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Okay, so, I thought maybe the new 7th Sea would be bad, but it's good. The new Pirate Nations book that I just got the beta of is really, really good. All the new nations are cool, the NPCs are useful, and it even has thoughtful, non-terrible sidebars on how to deal with victimization and characters who have been affected by it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, the new 7th Sea is generally very good. It definitely has some issues (the corruption mechanic is awful, and where it intersects with the sorcery, doubly so) and as a player I'm not sure you could ever convince me not to take Foul Weather Jack as an advantage (unless you just got rid of it), but it's a strong revision over the original version.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
is it still written by wick?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Elfgames posted:

is it still written by wick?

It is but he seems to have actually learned a few lessons.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's written by a weird alternate reality Wick who has zero Wickisms.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
7th Sea was never ultra-Wicky to begin with. Outside of Vodacce being Wick's backstabbing Machiavelli wet dream. Even that bent heavily into swashbuckling melodrama over dunking on PCs for being honest and honorable the way early L5R apparently did. The biggest issues were the :smugwizard: metaplot twists that led to poo poo like half of the sorcery options given to players undermining the fabric of existence. Making it easier for the mantis aliens locked outside reality to break through. 7th Sea 2.0 doesn't have any plans for an advancing metaplot as far as I know.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Neopie posted:

still gonna pass

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Neopie posted:

This is what happens when you leave his dog alive.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's written by a weird alternate reality Wick who has zero Wickisms.

Nah, there are some, like how awesome Ireland Inismore is, a few comments lurking in the GM section (which is mostly fine, but it devolves a bit here and there into stuff like "poke out a hero's eyes to teach them a lesson!"), or... the Corruption rules, again.

But yeah, you can't really lay much of the original 7th Sea at Wick's feet. Though he was really influential on the line, after the core I think he only actually wrote on two or so books (Avalon and Pirate Nations, IIRC). Judging by the derision he's put on the ancient aliens subplot, I don't think it was actually his intent for the line. But it's hard to say.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 23, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Numa came off as really weird, but the rest of Pirate Nations was great; I don't think I'd even bother with Theah if I was running a game. Looking forward to a map of the Atabean Sea to kind of put it all together.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Did they officially axe the aliens plotline for new 7th Sea or have they just not talked about it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Wick said if you want to bring it back in your own game at home, he's fine with that, but has said "NO ALIENS" as far the new edition is concerned. The Syrneth ruins are still around but what the Syrneth were other than "not human" is left a mystery so far.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Also, looking back at the 1e book, it looks like more than half of this is new content.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Advantage balance also seems really dicey (see also: Foul Weather Jack) as well but that's kind of something you're already used to if you've played 7th Sea or Legend of the Five Rings.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Waffleman_ posted:

This is what happens when you leave his dog alive.

This just reminded me, in the trailer for John Wick 2 they specifically included shots to let you know the dog from the end of the first one was still alive.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Kwyndig posted:

This just reminded me, in the trailer for John Wick 2 they specifically included shots to let you know the dog from the end of the first one was still alive.

It's been a while since I last saw it so I may be misremembering, but isn't there a scene in the first one that shows him burying that dog?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ManMythLegend posted:

It's been a while since I last saw it so I may be misremembering, but isn't there a scene in the first one that shows him burying that dog?

No, you're thinking of Revenge Dog (the one given to him by his dead wife), the one that gets killed at the start of the movie. This is Redemption Dog (the one he saves from being put down), the one at the end of the movie that gives him a reason to keep living. If they have actual names, I can't remember them.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Kwyndig posted:

No, you're thinking of Revenge Dog (the one given to him by his dead wife), the one that gets killed at the start of the movie. This is Redemption Dog (the one he saves from being put down), the one at the end of the movie that gives him a reason to keep living. If they have actual names, I can't remember them.

:woof:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I ended up getting Patchwork, Star Realms, Race for the Galaxy, and Lost Cities. A local game story has Rivals For Catan for a lot less than I'm finding it online, so I'm going to get that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Ya boy Ettin is moving up from tabletop into video games :toot:

• Locked thread