Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I agree re: flash photography. I think it's got to be really soft if it's front flash, or else remote flash behind to give a little edging. Or maybe in really dark forests when that's the only way to get a photo. Maybe get a stuffed bird or Christmas ornament or something and put it on a branch and play around with power and gels to see what looks good to you.

Wild Turkeys, Albany Village-9011on Flickr

Wild Turkeys, Albany Village-9052 on Flickr

Wild Turkeys, Albany Village-9057 on Flickr

Wild Turkeys, Albany Village-9095 on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I got a "better beamer" flash lens for Christmas and tried it out for the first time the other day on my feeder bird. Not really thrilled with the results thus far and the vast majority of the photos were blurry (max sync speed 1/250). Still, interesting to be able to shoot birds in the shade in overcast conditions in December.
You need to enable high speed sync if you're going to use flash with wildlife. I'm still not a fan of the flash look but it is possible to play around with the settings so it's not quite so glaring.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

InternetJunky posted:

You need to enable high speed sync if you're going to use flash with wildlife. I'm still not a fan of the flash look but it is possible to play around with the settings so it's not quite so glaring.

drat. Looks like I've got a Yongnuo model without HSS. Perhaps I'll return this thing for the moment and save the flash for photographing my kids as initially intended.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
One guy who does good wildlife with flash stuff is Richard Peters
http://www.richardpeters.co.uk/portfolio_backgardensafari.html

His ebook goes in to a lot of technical detail
http://www.richardpeters.co.uk/ebook.html

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

I like the effect flash gave me on some of my shots, but I had to have a softbox right up next to their feeding site.

Blue Jay by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Some pics from a recent trip:

Young Little Blue by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Tri Colored by Justin Cook, on Flickr

I'm terrible at sandpipers so if anyone has any ideas on this one it would be appreciated:

Sandpiper by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Red Bellied by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Painted Bunting by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Merganser by Justin Cook, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

The sandpiper is a Spotted Sandpiper.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
That is a bunch of excellent photos, Mirage.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Cold morning in Discovery Park. Not much out and about except for sparrows, foraging

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

Cold morning in Discovery Park. Not much out and about except for sparrows, foraging

Nice. I was just watching these boogers in my yard eating the leaf buds from one of my plum trees.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

A couple of higher iso shots, due to being in the woods

iso 6400 for the tomtit, 32000 for the tui

North Island Tomtit by Marc, on Flickr

tui by Marc, on Flickr

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting from PYF.

RareAcumen posted:

All thanks to this bird feeder.

http://mymodernmet.com/mary-m-ca-bird-photo-booth/

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Kenshin posted:

Nice set of sparrows. I like your choice of cropping on the quoted image especially.

TheMirage posted:

Some pics from a recent trip:
Nice set!

Raikyn posted:

A couple of higher iso shots, due to being in the woods
Piece of advice: when I have really high ISO shots like these I usually mask out the bird and crank up the noise reduction to maximum to smooth out the background completely since sometimes the noise patterns can become too distracting. The birds look pretty good for such high ISO shots, especially the first one.

Cythereal posted:

Crossposting from PYF.
This is a neat idea. Any clue how much the thing was selling for on amazon? It's showing as out of stock for me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

InternetJunky posted:

This is a neat idea. Any clue how much the thing was selling for on amazon? It's showing as out of stock for me.

I have not. I have a strong suspicion that if I tried putting that thing up in my yard it would be 80% squirrels, 10% grackles, 8% doves, 1% red-bellied woodpeckers, 1% everything else.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I have not. I have a strong suspicion that if I tried putting that thing up in my yard it would be 80% squirrels, 10% grackles, 8% doves, 1% red-bellied woodpeckers, 1% everything else.
On the upside, squirrels attract hawks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kenshin posted:

On the upside, squirrels attract hawks.

We used to have rabbits that would come out every morning to eat food the birds and squirrels scattered. Then a family of owls moved into the area and we don't have rabbits anymore.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
That bird feeder cam is awesome! A grackle in the snow... now I've seen everything.

Here is a few more from the trip as I slowly go through them:

Osprey Fish by Justin Cook, on Flickr

White Ibis by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Pied Bills. Cute Grebe, or cutest?

Pie Billed Grebe by Justin Cook, on Flickr

I've been trying to see one of these in the wild, let alone photograph one for years so excuse the high ISO.

Pileated Woodpecker by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Flying LBH by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Not a good photo but I figured some people would find it interesting:

This is a swiftlet nest in a cave in Borneo. Yes that is "blood" (according to the guide at the time but some Googling tells me that is not the case) in/behind the nest. These are the nests that are collected for birds nest soup.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Hey, it's sunny in Seattle this week. Fortunately the birds are coming to me, because I don't have a lot of time to go out looking.

Wigeons At Dusk by Josh, on Flickr

Trumpeter Swans With Mountains by Josh, on Flickr

Trumpeter Pair by Josh, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Crossposting from PYF.

That's cheating. Cool pics though. I like the dove sitting in the feeder.

I'm still kicking myself for not remembering to bid on & win an outrageously cheap custom-made motion-triggered Yashica T4 in a camo box that was up for sale on eBay. I'm trying to find ways to combine my hobbies of film photography and birding without spending too much money, and it would have been perfect for that kind of stuff.

Dread Head posted:

Not a good photo but I figured some people would find it interesting:

This is a swiftlet nest in a cave in Borneo. Yes that is "blood" (according to the guide at the time but some Googling tells me that is not the case) in/behind the nest. These are the nests that are collected for birds nest soup.

I've always wondered what it tastes like. The soup, I mean. I doubt many people just eat the nest straight-up.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I've always wondered what it tastes like. The soup, I mean. I doubt many people just eat the nest straight-up.

Yeah not sure, it seems like an odd thing to eat honesty.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Finally found a Great Grey after probably 100 hours of searching.

[edit] one more from today

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I don't think I could ever try it after seeing and smelling other bird nests.

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 8, 2017

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Audubon photo contest is now open

http://www.audubon.org/get-outside/2017-audubon-photography-awards-official-rules

Anyone entering?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

if I take anything I really think is worth entering before the deadline, sure

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It's been cold but sunny the past few days here in Seattle. A few of these are from today, a few from Thursday morning.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That Cooper's Hawk (?) is awesome, as are the towhees. Nice one of the Lincoln's sparrow too- I think even if I happen to have my camera when I see them, they usually dive into the middle of a bush before I can get a shot.

For NorCal goons, I got a message from someone at one of the local Audubon societies (Golden Gate chapter) that they are thinking about organizing a big lens demo event during their April birdathon. They'd work with a local camera store and reps from Canon and maybe Nikon. Still kind of up in the air what it would be, but they are looking for input now (talks or just hand-on demos, which lenses people are interested in seeing, etc). It would be a fundraiser, so the message I saw suggested there might be an ask of a $50 donation. The chapter does a lot of substantial conservation and education work so the money would go to a great cause. Anyway, if you are local and interested feel free to PM me and I can keep you updated as more info develops.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

That Cooper's Hawk (?) is awesome, as are the towhees. Nice one of the Lincoln's sparrow too- I think even if I happen to have my camera when I see them, they usually dive into the middle of a bush before I can get a shot.

For NorCal goons, I got a message from someone at one of the local Audubon societies (Golden Gate chapter) that they are thinking about organizing a big lens demo event during their April birdathon. They'd work with a local camera store and reps from Canon and maybe Nikon. Still kind of up in the air what it would be, but they are looking for input now (talks or just hand-on demos, which lenses people are interested in seeing, etc). It would be a fundraiser, so the message I saw suggested there might be an ask of a $50 donation. The chapter does a lot of substantial conservation and education work so the money would go to a great cause. Anyway, if you are local and interested feel free to PM me and I can keep you updated as more info develops.

I don't live there and am unlikely to be able to take advantage, but I would love to be able to demo some of the new m43 pro long lenses from Olympus and Panasonic. Not that I could afford one even if I liked it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
From a little more than a year ago.
Black-capped chickadee
Cottage 2015 64 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Blue Jay, digging up peanuts recently hidden by a red squirrel
Cottage 2015 67 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Blue Jay, going for the source
Cottage 2015 74 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Downy Woodpecker
Cottage 2015 75 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Pileated Woodpecker
Cottage 2015 88 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I traveled north of Seattle and got to watch a whole bunch of short eared owls hunt and try to chase off one another. It was pretty drat awesome. I'll need to make the trip again.

(not a short eared owl)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ant mouth posted:

I traveled north of Seattle and got to watch a whole bunch of short eared owls hunt and try to chase off one another. It was pretty drat awesome. I'll need to make the trip again.

Yes, please do make that trip again. Those are some fantastic shots!

Brown Creeper
Cottage 2015 145 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

ant mouth posted:

(not a short eared owl)

I love Eide, but that place has been too much of a zoo the last few years. I went up to bird on Thursday and there were like 40 cars there. Can't imagine a weekend.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Thanks! Execudork! I got a brown creeper last month. The name is apt, because it seems like they're always creepin' on the opposite side of the tree as you.

It was my first time at Eide and there were a whole lot of people and thousand upon thousand dollars worth of glass. However, that place delivered in spades. I don't know if I just got lucky, but it is rare that I am given a "Hey Ant Mouth, if you go here you'll see this species of bird" and when I step out of the car five of them are flying around. I hope that is business as usual for that place because at four hours, it is a serious hike!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

ant mouth posted:

It was my first time at Eide and there were a whole lot of people and thousand upon thousand dollars worth of glass. However, that place delivered in spades. I don't know if I just got lucky, but it is rare that I am given a "Hey Ant Mouth, if you go here you'll see this species of bird" and when I step out of the car five of them are flying around. I hope that is business as usual for that place because at four hours, it is a serious hike!

It's been pretty hot there this year. I estimated about 9 Short-Eared's flying around when I was there which is as many as I've ever seen. Doesn't hurt that we had a nice couple dry spells at the right time.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

ant mouth posted:

(not a short eared owl)
:awesome:

well done!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Getting into birds and it is like crack because I took one bird picture and now I just want more; I just want to find all of the birds and take their pictures. I have finally gotten a long enough lens to really do it - I have some more interesting (not common as poo poo) birds but the photos suck and these suck less so this is my first real go with the new lens. Looking forward to actually setting aside a day for a bird hunt.

DSCF3754 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF3772 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF3826 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSCF3984 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Couple of recent owl shots:

rio posted:

Getting into birds and it is like crack because I took one bird picture and now I just want more; I just want to find all of the birds and take their pictures.
This is how it begins for all of us I think -- it certainly was like that for me. I'd highly recommend joining up with a local nature club. They might not be as much into photography as you, but you'll learn some great strategies for finding birds.

Also, well done on your first set!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The Bird Photographer of the Year competition, in it's second year, have revealed their short-list

http://birdpoty16.picturk.com/pages/shortlist

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

The Bird Photographer of the Year competition, in it's second year, have revealed their short-list

http://birdpoty16.picturk.com/pages/shortlist

A lot of not very great photos in there to be honest.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

VelociBacon posted:

A lot of not very great photos in there to be honest.

You are not joking, some are not even close to being sharp/in focus...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

There's some really great stuff in there, but for a shortlist there's a lot of average/junk as well. Also, 58 shortlisted images for one category doesn't seem right.