Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

It's all about context... Because the Snake and Verderous Gearhulk seem very good in this format, (which we couldn't have known) that is what is making Ballista good.

Gearhulk also has a nice synergy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mcmagic posted:

It's all about context... Because the Snake and Verderous Gearhulk seem very good in this format, (which we couldn't have known) that is what is making Ballista good.

sit on my Facebook posted:

These two cards are for sure the strongest mythics imo but I'm tellin' you guys, Verdurous Gearhulk is fully insane in the post-emrakul world.

I think variableskelion is gonna be really good. Lets not forget that we've all been bemoaning the X/X+1 creature board stall situation for a while.

:smug:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
triskelion, well known standard playable

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

gwrtheyrn posted:

triskelion, well known standard playable

Trisk was actually played reasonably often when it was in Mirrodin standard, since you could Tooth it and Mephidross Vampire out to instant kill, while also just playing it with Tron and getting three pings out.

Also my home girl Saffi finally getting some respect on the streets. Sorry Crypt Champion.

e: wait Blue Tron played Triskelavus, not Triskelion, what with Triskelion rotating out. It was still played in Tooth though.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 23, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Good call.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mcmagic posted:

Good call.

On like the very next page I was like "hey you guys cat combo isn't even that good probably"

We're all human bro don't let them haters get you down

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Hellsau posted:

Trisk was actually played reasonably often when it was in Mirrodin standard, since you could Tooth it and Mephidross Vampire out to instant kill, while also just playing it with Tron and getting three pings out.

Also my home girl Saffi finally getting some respect on the streets. Sorry Crypt Champion.

e: wait Blue Tron played Triskelavus, not Triskelion, what with Triskelion rotating out. It was still played in Tooth though.

well known AER standard playable, are you happy now

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Mephi-Trike wasn't an instant kill, it was an instant reusable plague wind :eng101:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Hellsau posted:

Is Saffi still broken on mtgo?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Elyv posted:

Mephi-Trike wasn't an instant kill, it was an instant reusable plague wind :eng101:

With two vampires it was, though (ping itself until it has enough counters to kill your opponent without dying to SBEs).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Playing draft chaff common Bastion Inventor out of the board against UB Control is pretty funny.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Angry Grimace posted:

Playing draft chaff common Bastion Inventor out of the board against UB Control is pretty funny.

it's a good kind of common like gurmag angler is

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Were we supposed to find out last week or this week if they did something fix loops on MTGO? I can't remember when that came up in here. Oh, I guess it would be this week when they patch the new cards in on Wednesday or whatever.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

I never would have pieced together that verderous gearhulk would be good in standard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mezzanon posted:

I never would have pieced together that verderous gearhulk would be good in standard.

It was just OK last format. Not heavily played. There is a reason it was 5 bucks.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

It was just OK last format. Not heavily played. There is a reason it was 5 bucks.

Wow he's back up to $17. Jesus

Torrential out of stock and 25, nice.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I kinda wanted one for Animar but I guess that'll have to wait.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Except it's not pushing them out of the format at all. Jund/abzan are the top 2 percentage wise on mtggoldfish and in the upper percentages on mtgtop8. Eldrazi just isn't good enough in a wide meta to have any effect on anything and meanwhile it let's people play with their eldrazi dudes that they like.

Pictured on the left: me

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I'm just complaining that my dumb T2 standard deck got banned because it was incredibly fun to play, and now I have to find a new weird deck to troll standard with.

On that note: I am open to any suggestions for T1.5/T2 weird standard decks.

Previous random history of standard decks:

- U/R Flash (SOI before eldritch moon came out)
- U/B Aristocrats (Khans)
- Temur Knucks (THE-Khans)
- R/B Humans (RAV-THE) (This deck was actually really good)
- Predator Ooze Aggro (INN-RAV) (This deck was easily T1 but nobody else played it)

Edit: I think I want a Tezzeret Control Deck to be decent. Please let that happen!

Not sure if it really qualifies as T2, but a guy got 22nd out of 603 with B/R Zombies.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=111048

I guess in a format that has a fair amount of control floating around and is low on graveyard hate it makes sense? Not sure if it has enough answers to Copy Cat, and strangely has no Fatal Pushes.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I'm just complaining that my dumb T2 standard deck got banned because it was incredibly fun to play, and now I have to find a new weird deck to troll standard with.

On that note: I am open to any suggestions for T1.5/T2 weird standard decks.

Previous random history of standard decks:

- U/R Flash (SOI before eldritch moon came out)
- U/B Aristocrats (Khans)
- Temur Knucks (THE-Khans)
- R/B Humans (RAV-THE) (This deck was actually really good)
- Predator Ooze Aggro (INN-RAV) (This deck was easily T1 but nobody else played it)

Edit: I think I want a Tezzeret Control Deck to be decent. Please let that happen!

If you like playing lots of Metalwork Colossus in one turn and also sometimes winning with a storm-like combo:
https://deckstats.net/decks/997/644397-paradox-colossus

A buddy is playing a version with saheeli in the main and some other interaction, but I'm fond of going all-in on the combo.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Oh man more free money, this is like betting (and I'm the house)

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

If you like playing lots of Metalwork Colossus in one turn and also sometimes winning with a storm-like combo:

A buddy is playing a version with saheeli in the main and some other interaction, but I'm fond of going all-in on the combo.

Can you explain how it works?

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Metalwork Colossus costs 1 less based on the CMC of your noncreature artifacts. You play a bunch of artifact mana acceleration that will actually tap for 4 and 5 mana for Metalwork Colossus. You'll quickly be casting Colossus for free or close to it. You use Sanctum of Ugin and Inventor's Fair to search out more Metalworks and flood the board with 10/10 creatures. Paradoxical Outcome lets you dodge removal (that Metalwork Colossus is already fairly resilient too) and draw lots of free cards. Coax From the Blind Eternities lets you search out Barrage Tyrant to force your damage through a board of chump blockers. The rest of the deck is mostly ways to find your pieces.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Given that there's literally only one target for coax, why not play the barrage tyrant main instead? Or at that point, since it doesn't have to be an eldrazi, something that forces through damage cheaper like key to the city.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

The Sexual Shiite posted:

With paradox engine in play, you can generate lots of mana by tapping your mana rocks and having them untap every time you cast something, lots of cantripping artifacts and mana rocks means you keep drawing lots of cards and making tons of mana, paradoxical outcome lets you re-cast a bunch of stuff and draw more cards to keep going, until you eventually hit Coax From The Blind Eternities to fetch a Barrage Tyrant, which you can use to throw your colossus and any other creatures you need to to kill your opponent. Your backup plan if you fizzle is just having dumped four 10/10s into play, but I've had comfortable combo kills on turn 5 if the cards in hand line up. The Saheeli Rais, if you play them, also allow you to make hasty colossus on your combo turn, which can be enough if your opponent is short on blockers and you can bounce and replay her with outcome enough times. Key to the city helps with that backup plan.

E:

Jabor posted:

Given that there's literally only one target for coax, why not play the barrage tyrant main instead? Or at that point, since it doesn't have to be an eldrazi, something that forces through damage cheaper like key to the city.

I probably could. We originally had more of a toolbox SB, but now just maindecking the tyrant probably makes more sense.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 24, 2017

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I've also seen lists that run Elder Deep-Fiend since it can be searched with Sanctum and MC is a decent emerge target. I think that may have been from the PT.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I probably could. We originally had more of a toolbox SB, but now just maindecking the tyrant probably makes more sense.

Especially since you can find it with sanctum of ugin...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/JeffHoogland/status/823532581681504257

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Modern is a dead format no longer supported

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

On like the very next page I was like "hey you guys cat combo isn't even that good probably"

We're all human bro don't let them haters get you down

That was really awesome and not lovely you two ty. Not that either of you usually are its just a nice change of pace

Anywhoodle I def got $20 on mcmagic if anyone wants to put anything on Hetfield. Kinda late but I've had a motherfucker of a day.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Why the two Skysoverign in the board? Its a really cool and cheap (ish) deck. Other sideboard pieces makes sense.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Frozen_flame posted:

Why the two Skysoverign in the board? Its a really cool and cheap (ish) deck. Other sideboard pieces makes sense.

Just because they were in a lot of other/traditional colossus decks and I assumed they had a place. I haven't done any SB game testing yet, just messing around with the main to try and get a consistent build. I don't get to play all that much magic anymore, in part because the local scene is nearly dead, so it's rare that I get to refine a list based on actual play anymore, especially against tier 1 decks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

skysovereign is probably nice against aggro or midrange decks because it comes down, picks off a dude, then discounts colossus for 5 and can get crewed by colossus on the turn it etbs to go murder more dudes while crunching for 6.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Since the brewhaus thread is dead(?) I have no place to post my new deck. I give you:

Deck: Crackdown Colossus

//Creatures
3 Crackdown Construct
4 Metalwork Colossus
4 Foundry Inspector
3 Cultivator's Caravan
4 Glint-Nest Crane

//Artifacts/Other
4 Prophetic Prism
3 Hedron Archive
1 Key to the City
3 Metalspinner's Puzzleknot
4 Slip Through Space
2 Expedite
3 Harnessed Lightning

//Land
4 Aether Hub
4 Wandering Fumarole
1 Hanweir Battlements
4 Sanctum of Ugin
3 Spirebluff Canal
4 Island
2 Inventors' Fair

//Sideboard
3 Dispel
2 Metallic Rebuke
4 Thought-Knot Seer
2 Elder Deep-Fiend
2 Spatial Contortion
2 Reality Smasher

Display deck statistics

Who want to play Copycat when there is a much jankier combo availabe to you.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

GoutPatrol posted:

Since the brewhaus thread is dead(?) I have no place to post my new deck. I give you:

Deck: Crackdown Colossus

//Creatures
3 Crackdown Construct
4 Metalwork Colossus

//Land
4 Wandering Fumarole

What about Barrage Tyrant for the Flings?

myDad fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 24, 2017

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

This looks rad. What's the point of Crackdown Construct though? It looks like it only triggers off Colossus and Puzzleknot?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sailor Viy posted:

This looks rad. What's the point of Crackdown Construct though? It looks like it only triggers off Colossus and Puzzleknot?

Wandering Fumarole.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Sailor Viy posted:

Wandering Fumarole is a manland with a 0-cost ability

e:f,b

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I wonder what the maximum number of combos you can cram into a deck is. I wonder if it will be better than just 4-color Cats. I seem to recall deck with two different combos in them being pretty good, like Thopter/Depths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Well, how many combos are there?

The real gold standard would to be reconciling Paradox Engine eggs and Sram's cheerios; both of them feed into Paradoxical Outcome to chew through your entire deck and fix enough mana to do pretty much anything else, but the baseline is that you either put your storm-count into an Aetherflux Reservoir or all your eggs into a Ravenous Intruder.

Then you try and divert as many cards as you can into turning Felidar Guardian and Saheeli's consensual missionary combo into a debauched combination orgy; Put a pair of the cats next to Panharmonicon for infinite untaps or next to Decoction Module/Aetherstorm Roc for an arbitrary stockpile of energy. Put three of the latter next to a Whirler Virtuoso for an arbitrary number of thopters. Throw one of the arbitrarily numerous creature hoards at Fumigate for lots of life (and, again, sling it right back up your opponent's rear end with Reservoir). Pop a Barrage Tyrant next to the untaps and swarm for an arbitrary number of pings.

If Crackdown Construct still hasn't gotten up to 20/20 through something else at that point, you have your Wandering Fumarole. Slide in Mechanized Production and Thraben Inspector, too, because you don't even loving care at this point.

That's all just in Jeskai.

• Locked thread