Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Seriously. There's even retarded hate for heroes replacing Tony, Spider-Man, Cap, Thor. I have no idea why.

Guess why. Oh it's okay to introduce new characters, just don't touch the originals. Keep the same packaging preserved forever like in the childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

The answer to this is almost always yes no matter what character you're talking about. People want the characters they grew up reading. They're afraid or ambivalent or angry about change. There are a ton of people that consider Eddie Brock the only Venom and everything else since has just been treading water until he gets it back. People felt that way about Dick Grayson as Batman and Sam Alexander as Nova and they feel that way about Jane Foster, Amadeus Cho, Laura Kinney, and Sam Wilson right now.

Very true. For instance...

I miss Danny Ketch/Noble Kale in the red and yellow leathers. Seriously.

But I like Robbie Reyes too.

I think Johnny Blaze is best used as a guy who got out of the Ghost Roding biz and stayed out but is still a main/recurring character.

Oh well, it's just comics.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Johnny and Danny need to go to hell and unsurp and rule it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gatts posted:

Seriously. There's even retarded hate for heroes replacing Tony, Spider-Man, Cap, Thor. I have no idea why.

Guess why. Oh it's okay to introduce new characters, just don't touch the originals. Keep the same packaging preserved forever like in the childhood.

Because abloo bloo bloo SJWs making my characters black/female/gay/whatever!!!!!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

Because abloo bloo bloo SJWs making my characters black/female/gay/whatever!!!!!

Eh, that's a small part of it for sure. Mostly though it's just that most comic fans are very resistant to change.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Eh, the only one I really cared about was the change in Novas and that's just because they killed off Richard. I enjoyed the issues of the last volume I've read and I REALLY enjoy the current volume.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

all of those characters were either killed or incapacitated when they were replaced. ultimate peter parker dying is where miles came in; same with logan and laura. sam took over as cap when steve got old, jane became thor when the odinson became unworthy, and both riri and iron doom are from tony's dumbass ending in civil war 2 (well, riri would have done it anyway but she didn't get her own book until after that so...). cho basically took the hulk from banner as well

the only ones that aren't currently existing in the same space as their originals right now are riri and doom, and that's just because civil war 2 ended like a month ago. odinson is still unworthy and technically it's a different logan, but eh; they do the same stuff

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rip Carol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We sold three times as many MCM #0's as the final issue of the previous series.

ANECDOTAL.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Endless Mike posted:

"Don't forget being SJW's themselves!"- Mark Waid

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rhyno posted:

We sold three times as many MCM #0's as the final issue of the previous series.

ANECDOTAL.

Right I should have asked how things were going for you.'

EDIT: That's not sarcastic either.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Onmi posted:

Right I should have asked how things were going for you.

To be fair, BBC's customer base is much larger than mine.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Was there any significant change from 0 to 1

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Was there any significant change from 0 to 1

Not enough time has passed to assess sales on #1.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

X-O posted:

Eh, that's a small part of it for sure. Mostly though it's just that most comic fans are very resistant to change.

Yeah, this is a huge thing with nerd culture everywhere; it's all enormously neophobic. It's why Pacific Rim struggled to break even, for example.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

I'll be going from not reading Venom to... not reading Venom. Flash or bust for me.

Flash stopped being interesting pretty much the second Remender stopped writing him.

I hope Eddie kills Mania so people can stop hoping for her to come back.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

The man called M posted:

"Don't forget being SJW's themselves!"- Mark Waid

Mark Waids problem isn't that they'd SJWs themselves. He just handles them so clumsily.

And as interesting/fun as Cho Hulk is, I still think Cho worked best as a foil to Hercules.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I thought Mighty Captain Marvel was good? Even beyond my bias I liked Carol just hanging out with Jess being uncomfortable with her popularity, and actually dealing with the consequences of her actions with being ostracized by the hero community for the most part.

But yea I can understand why sales weren't good because trying to get a character over and then making them be a complete rear end in a top hat in your lovely event is a really, really bad idea. Not that it's a particularly unique take on it, but it's so god drat obvious that it's amazing that Marvel thought it was a good idea.

Though watch her in Infinity War will be amazing and she will instantly become a massive cultural icon, though for some reason Marvel will hold back producing any merch with Brie Larsen's face on it because of some weird idea that girls don't like this stuff.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Remember when comic shops were saying that Champions was an utter failure, and its ended up selling just fine?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Remember when comic shops were saying that Champions was an utter failure, and its ended up selling just fine?

Remember when Marvel did a 100% overship on the book to pump up their sales numbers?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
hot take: i think it is just as silly to call people who prefer the old characters terrified manbabies as calling people who prefer the new ones sjw cultural marxists

I just like to read books with pictures. Star-Lord was very fun, and I like that each issue seems to be starting with some beefcake.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think issue #1 was inflated due to Scholastic book fairs as well, but #2 and #3 were both about where I'd expect them to be within the Top 50.

I doubt Captain Marvel will sell that well, but I just think it's best to wait and see before jumping to conclusions.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Clawtopsy posted:

hot take: i think it is just as silly to call people who prefer the old characters terrified manbabies as calling people who prefer the new ones sjw cultural marxists

I just like to read books with pictures. Star-Lord was very fun, and I like that each issue seems to be starting with some beefcake.

That is exactly what they are. It's not the worst thing they can be but let's not pretend.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Clawtopsy posted:

I don't think it applies to everybody who prefers the older characters, but the amount of vitriol I've seen directed at characters like Jane (who a lot of people call Whor because that's really clever) is really concerning.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair there is a difference between those that hate change and those that actively hate women/minorities.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair there is a difference between those that hate change and those that actively hate women/minorities.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Clawtopsy posted:

Agreed. I'm divided on the subject. Love Jane-Thor. Don't care about Sam-Cap. Riri William's becoming Iron Man felt very forced and not at all organic but her book is friggin excellent so I got over it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Agreed. I'm divided on the subject. Love Jane-Thor. Don't care about Sam-Cap. Riri William's becoming Iron Man felt very forced and not at all organic but her book is friggin excellent so I got over it.

well to be fair, she became ironheart instead :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Manatee Cannon posted:

well to be fair, she became ironheart instead :v:

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

Also digital Tony is the best supporting character ever.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They should really go that way with the movies when RDJ is ready to wind down.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

They should really go that way with the movies when RDJ is ready to wind down.

I'm holding out for a deaged Tony and them casting Adam Brody.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

They could go full-on The Crossing and cast Grant Gustin.

....I'm not sure if I hate that idea or not, actually...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They should give rhodey his legs back and bring back war machine cuz don cheadle is a boss

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

site posted:

They should give rhodey his legs back and bring back war machine cuz don cheadle is a boss

this is just the setup for him becoming venom and going to space with the guardians of the galaxy

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

We already got deaged RDJ in Civil War. You and your sick fantasies. How about a Fantastic Force movie when Fox gets real desperate?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Manatee Cannon posted:

this is just the setup for him becoming venom and going to space with the guardians of the galaxy

lmao

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think an interesting story for Venom could be Eddie and the suit both re-evaluating each other after reuniting.

"Hey, are we still crazy?"
"God I hope not."
"Whoa."

I mean sure, it'll all go to poo poo because why else bring em together again, but it'd be really nice if it didn't go from 0 to MURDERSPREE in like six seconds.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Eddie's already killing people and being crazy with a different symbiote right now.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rhyno posted:

The film studio probably wants traditional Venom back for use as a film bad guy.

Marvel will care a little bit more what Sony wants now thanks do their agreement about Spider-Man, but I doubt it goes this far.

twistedmentat posted:

I thought Mighty Captain Marvel was good? Even beyond my bias I liked Carol just hanging out with Jess being uncomfortable with her popularity, and actually dealing with the consequences of her actions with being ostracized by the hero community for the most part.

I didn't much like it to be honest. It felt a lot like "Carol is so great, and the normal people see how great she is, why don't the other heroes see how great she is. Here again a example of great she is. Watch her talk with the President! Watch her delegate tasks! Watch her get emotional over little blue Kree girl!" The Hala refugee/bounty hunter story was too little to grip me yet either.

Decius fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The last rumor going around with Venom was that Sony wanted to keep it separate completely from Spider-Man and the MCU. Which is dumb, but you know it's Sony.

• Locked thread