Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Pigbuster posted:

Secret rooms are always* surrounded by 4 or 3 rooms, and every one of those rooms need to be unobstructed on the wall that borders the secret room; if a single wall is obstructed, it means there can't be a secret room there. This means you can usually make a pretty confident guess on where the secret room is, even without one of the items that gives away the location. You can open the wall with a bomb.

Super secret rooms can only ever border a single room, and it's usually close to the boss; often connected to the room right before the boss, even. The contents of super secret rooms are usually the same depending on what floor type you're on (basement = some pills, womb = a lot of red hearts, etc.)

*Well, mostly always. If there are literally no valid areas for a 3 room border then it'll border 2 rooms. This almost never happens outside of Basement 1, though.

They also will never border a boss room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it's confirmation bias but there also seems to be certain rooms that will always or never border a secret room. Again, I have literally nothing to back this up other than way too much time playing BoI :v:

One room for instance has two fires next to the top wall, one on each side of where you'd place the bomb. I can't remember a single time when this hasn't been an entrance to the secret room. Either way, after playing for a while you definitely get a "feel" for where the room should be, even if you don't have a visible map.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

AbstractNapper posted:

For Mega Satan runs, are my options just a) Dad's key, b) get out of jail free card or c) skipping deals with the devil and hoping for two Angel deals to get the key parts?

Correct.

Finding items that increase your Devil Room chances (Black Candle, Book of Belial/Revelations) will help. Additionally, bombing Shopkeepers/Devil Beggars and donating money to the Donation Machine/Regular Beggars will help a lot.

You're guaranteed a Devil Room on Basement 2 (Or Basement XL) provided you take no Red Heart damage. After that, Angel Rooms can start spawning. Don't use Joker cards until after you've killed the boss and done everything possible to raise your Angel Room chance on that floor, because if you use it early, you might override a room you were already going to get.

The Sacrifice Room isn't good in my experience because if you're playing on Hard Mode for the completion, you're probably not going to find enough Hearts to make it worth it. If you end up with Placenta and enough heart containers that you can afford to wait around twenty minutes to regenerate, it's potentially useful, but I'd rather just run through the game normally.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

As a side note if you get half of the key it boosts your angel room chance by like 40% or something and I've started seeing angel statues spawn in super secret rooms.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 23, 2017

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Huh I never checked how the revamped sacrifice rooms worked. Sometimes you get a bunch of excess red hearts (eg Womb secret room, arcade grinding) so maybe you could occasionally do the 11 sacrifices required for both key pieces.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
^^^ Those all help a lot. Thanks for the hints.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
New sacrifice rooms are cool because you can actually turn a shitload of excess health into something meaningful. Plus, it's one of the only ways you can take advantage of Devil Deals and still get key pieces and Angel items. Just don't go too far. :p

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Leaving sacrifice rooms immediately if they don't have any soul hearts or anything sitting around is so ingrained in my BoI muscle memory that I totally forgot they were changed.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I think my favorite combo that I've gotten so far was Ipecac + Pyromaniac. Effectively unlimited bombs, high damage, immunity to a fair number of boss attacks, and explosions now heal you. As long as you have maybe three heart containers, you're almost entirely unstoppable. That was one of those rare runs where the game just doesn't want me to lose.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
gently caress why am not getting angel rooms?!

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
Probably the same reason I had a zero percent chance for devil room, a 65 percent chance for angel and STILL got a devil room.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Found Hud is a bit misleading. The Devil Room chance it lists is the chance you have to get a room after the boss. The Angel Room chance is the chance the room will be an Angel Room if it spawns. I presume you used a card to get into it and hit the 35% chance to get a devil room.

The only time you get a guaranteed Angel Room is with the teleport effect from the sacrifice room, any other time there is still some chance it will fail every roll.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Okay, I didn't play this game for a really long time, there's a bunch of new poo poo on my HUD and another new expansion that a lot of people are saying is kinda crap? What's the deal yo

Also, has anyone cobbled together an Antibirth port for lovely Mac users like me?

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 23, 2017

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I started an Eden run last night with a bunch of lovely items and thought it wasn't going to go anywhere, and then picked up The D4 on the...third floor? I think?

I rerolled to Spoon Bender, Tiny Planet, and Technology 2, and then got a bunch of damage ups. Tiny Planet caused Tech2 to orbit me once and then shoot off in whatever direction I was aiming. Spoon Bender made this combo ridiculously powerful.

The orbit ensured that almost nothing would ever reach me, and the homing did all the work for me. I'd just enter a room and hold the fire button and everything would instantly die. I almost felt guilty.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
If you get an item through d4 does it count towards completion?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Kurtofan posted:

If you get an item through d4 does it count towards completion?

Iirc yeah, go nuts until you start breakfasting.

Keep in mind though that rerolling your character through any means only gives you passive item room items, never active items or devil/angel room items. I think you never can get shop items either, but I'm not as sure about that since I never like rerolling.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I got the Dr Fetus + Ipecac combo in that daily and it's crazy. The bomb damage gets run through the Ipecac multiplier so you're throwing very powerful contact explosives, and for some reason they don't damage you. I think I also got something that made a bunch of insanely deadly flies too.

I didn't realize that Dr. Fetus + Ipecac meant you were immune to explosive damage. I was too worried about blowing myself up, so I went with Host Hat.

Then I got Magic Fingers and Lucky Rock and kinda wished I had the damage multiplier from Ipecac, but I still won that daily with no problems.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Augus posted:

Also, has anyone cobbled together an Antibirth port for lovely Mac users like me?

If so, I haven't been able to find it.

Also on the topic of lovely mac users, I wonder how many people have 100%ed every version of Isaac playing with a keyboard on a Mac. I'm ~24 achievements and however many pickups away myself :mrgw:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Power of Pecota posted:

If so, I haven't been able to find it.

Also on the topic of lovely mac users, I wonder how many people have 100%ed every version of Isaac playing with a keyboard on a Mac. I'm ~24 achievements and however many pickups away myself :mrgw:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/5k8r2t/psa_how_to_run_antibirth_on_linux_using_wine/

I haven't taken the time to do it but someone confirmed it worked in OSX

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

There's a new angel room with an item and two angel statues, so you can grab the complete key in one angel deal and then go back to devil deals for power.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Psychedelicatessen posted:

There's a new angel room with an item and two angel statues, so you can grab the complete key in one angel deal and then go back to devil deals for power.

The one time I tried that I only got half the key. Maybe because I bombed both statues at once. Before AB+ I once accidentally activated both angels in a sacrifice room, and I only got the key piece for the second one to die.

Unless something has changed, the angels in super secret rooms won't give you key pieces. However I think an anomalous angel statue in a devil room will.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Er, what boss do you need to beat for today's daily? I don't recognize the symbol.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

Er, what boss do you need to beat for today's daily? I don't recognize the symbol.

Mom's Foot, but I believe it's Hard difficulty because of the red outline.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think the game should just give you Godhead if you manage to get The Body, the Soul, and The Mind at once.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

IMJack posted:

However I think an anomalous angel statue in a devil room will.
No, that won't either, as I just tested it in my run. It might be chance based though and I was unlucky?

Anyway, two out of two runs to Mega Satan using the sacrifice rooms to get both angels; you can also just use them to make sure that your angel room probability is 100% (or very high). I have a bunch more to do, and two of them are the Keeper and the Lost, but so far so good. The Keeper would probably be easy to get both angels in the sacrifice room if you get a floor with many coins laying around...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jamesman posted:

Mom's Foot, but I believe it's Hard difficulty because of the red outline.

Ending it so short is a shame considering how hilariously op you become with Chaos+Teleport 2.0

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

Ending it so short is a shame considering how hilariously op you become with Chaos+Teleport 2.0

I died on the second floor because I hate Azazel's range. :/

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Do you guys take Chaos a lot? Sure the chance to buy Godhead in the store or whatever is nice but it's also disheartening to see breakfast on sale for 2 hearts in the devil room. I'm probably just being a baby and should take it though, since statistically you encounter more items outside devil rooms than inside.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I take it everytime because the other item pools are so much better than the treasure, shop, and boss ones. Yeah sometimes you get poo poo devil deals but I still think it's worth it. Also it's always funny to buy the Quarter or Dollar from the shop.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Do you guys take Chaos a lot? Sure the chance to buy Godhead in the store or whatever is nice but it's also disheartening to see breakfast on sale for 2 hearts in the devil room. I'm probably just being a baby and should take it though, since statistically you encounter more items outside devil rooms than inside.

If I can get it on the first 3-4 floors, hell yeah. If it's later than that, I usually pass it up.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

If I see it, I take it, but I try to get the Devil Deal on the floor first so I'm not getting Breakfast for it.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
i Always take Chaos and i Always reroll my run if the dice room or d4/d100 show up. if you don't, you're not playing Isaac right

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Always take Chaos. It makes my favorite item, Sad Bombs, way more common and gives you a chance to mix up some weird angel/devil combos you don't normally see.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I really hope someone releases a mod that fixes sharp plug.

Really, it should take a half heart for each energy pip it charges up, and should be able to handle partially charged items.

Picking up 9 volt should NOT break sharp plug. That's the most infuriating part about sharp plug. That a different item that helps with energy completely breaks it. :argh:

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I just beat Greedier Mode with The lost this weeked and Delirium last week. Never again.

Now I'm onto the keeper. Any tips on what I should look for? I've been managing my coin intake so I do at least 7 hits on a sacrifice room whenever I see one for chances at angel loot.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sharp Plug should probably work on partially charged items for full price but otherwise it's a common gamebreaker as-is.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Oh wow Bethany and blank card is broken.

Banking infinite charges is silly.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I think I'm done with this game for nice long while.

I was playing as Judas trying to get the unlocks for beating the void. I was having a decent, not great, run until Mom. I beat her and the game instant teleports me to the void (no I did not step on the portal). At which point I find Delirium in the second boss room I go to. I probably could have beat him if not for the fact that he telefragged me several times, and instant hit me via the broken mom's foot animation. I can't imagine trying to do this with the Lost or Greed.

I play games to relax and unwind and this game just feels more and more like work with its brokenness as time goes on. I'm dumbfounded that Edmund originally created something so enjoyable by complete accident, and then continues to screw it up so badly with each expansion, fixes some imbalances/bugs and completely ignores others. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if the item unlocks weren't gated behind this nonsense.

Why is there the random teleport chance? The portals already only have a random chance to appear, what's the point? To add insult to injury, I had nine-lives, so I guess I could go back and try and beat Delirium with one heart instead of 7? :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't think Edmund is involved in the little details like that, so blame Nicalis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Whoo at back to back runs getting deep-dicked, I didn't have enough damage to take down Delirium as Lazarus and died with him at like 10% health and then on the next run I try Greedier Mode with The Lost and immediately get my holy mantle popped on the first phase when a coin drops straight on me :tbear:

I think I'm gonna need Plan C/Chaos Card/Gnawed Leaf + an orbital to beat Greedier mode with Lost or Keeper, blah.