Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

If Eleanor has sex with her fake soulmate that would be kind of rapey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Snak posted:

If this doesn't become a thing in season 2, I will be sad.

Re: that smile: If you had told me they used visual effects to achieve that smile, I would believe them. It was that crazy.

for me it was the laugh more than anything, so goddamn sinister.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

What happens if you go to the actual good place and your name is Janet? Or has that never happened?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ashpanash posted:

What happens if you go to the actual good place and your name is Janet? Or has that never happened?

I don't see the issue, you're Janet, that's Janet, completely different people. It's even pronounced differently. Janet. Janet. See?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Within the cosmology of the show's world-building, I think that there really is a good place. After all, why would this be called the bad place if there was no good place? A place is only bad in relation to some other thing. If there was no good place, this would simply be "the place." And it would also turn into a misotheistic show. Not sure they want to go that dark. I'll again put forward how I would go forward: the good place permitted Michael to steal a good Janet as a trojan horse. Now, if this is so, why is Janet so seemingly duped by the Bad place and under its control? Well, the good place knew that she needed to go deep undercover, so separated her from perhaps some of her powers/knowledge.

The larger question is: why would Michael feel the need to "steal" a good Janet for his good place? Why not merely take a bad Janet and instruct it to fool the four main characters into appearing like a good Janet? Well, perhaps he tried this, and he couldn't get a bad Janet to even appear good. So, he had to introduce into his "perfect" evil an "imperfect" good. Imagine the bad place as a cancerous disease. In trying to achieve his ambition, his dream, he unwittingly introduced into his neighborhood a cure. A further question: where does Michael's revelation of creating a "fake" good place come from? Remember, he's just sitting at his desk, brainstorm, and this idea seems to come from him from... somewhere.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Janet seems to be an actual utility used by cosmic beings in their work. You could make a fake good Janet, but maybe it was a lot easier to just use a real one.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Neither Janet seems good at acting. Why would bad Janet be able to act like a good Janet? If she was constantly farting and texting and calling everyone a dink I think the jig would have been up right away.

Remember, the beings from the bad place aren't just demons: they're assholes.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Eela6 posted:

There's an open question now though as to if Adam Scott and his heinous selfie crew were "real" and have an actual function in the Bad Place, or if they're also just bureaucrats from the office who signed up to play a part for funsies.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I also wonder if part of the reason why they wanted a Good Place Janet is because she's actually there to fetch anything you want, and she'll do it, rather than just farting at you. In that sense, part of the "fun" of our Good Place could that the bad people can go there and effortlessly indulge in anything they want, rather than having to fight for it. It's like a demon resort! :)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Eela6 posted:

Neither Janet seems good at acting. Why would bad Janet be able to act like a good Janet? If she was constantly farting and texting and calling everyone a dink I think the jig would have been up right away.

Yes, but isn't that kind of a given that demon = rear end in a top hat? If you have demon, they're not going to NOT be an rear end in a top hat.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, an interesting part of Michael's Bad Place is that while it might be an interesting form of psychological torture its really a pretty nice place where you have to wrestle with the same poo poo you had to your entire life. Chidi's the only one who REALLY freaked out because that's his nature and he did that in his mortal life too.

It keeps things light and from feeling too much like "oh poo poo, they're damned to eternal hell" but also it goes to explain why all these "demons" were so happy to have fun and play in the pleasant suburban "paradise" Michael created.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

blue squares posted:

If Eleanor has sex with her fake soulmate that would be kind of rapey

It's a good thing demons never rape, huh?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Well this is going to be fun.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
So, uh, how about that Westworld show?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Your Taint posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs7PmoHpNhA

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Your Taint posted:

Yes, but isn't that kind of a given that demon = rear end in a top hat? If you have demon, they're not going to NOT be an rear end in a top hat.

:thejoke:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Your Taint posted:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Is it fair that Jason is in the bad place, clearly being of limited capacity, or is it that Florida

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Chop Sunni posted:

Is it fair that Jason is in the bad place, clearly being of limited capacity, or is it that Florida

I was rewatching the Jason Mendoza episode and I now know what he yelled when he tried to blow up the train (and Acidcat's boat).

"Bortles!"

This doesn't really answer your question, but it had been bugging me.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Chop Sunni posted:

Uh, Florida.

Obviously.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aroused !

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

I'm not sure how well this holds up, but is there any traction to the notion that there isn't actually a heaven at all? We know The Good Place is a name Michael made up for this neighborhood, after all.

The stolen Janet is the only indication, otherwise I wouldn't think there was a real Good Place either.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

AbsolutelySane posted:

I was rewatching the Jason Mendoza episode and I now know what he yelled when he tried to blow up the train (and Acidcat's boat).

"Bortles!"

This doesn't really answer your question, but it had been bugging me.

I feel like Blake Bortles being your go to QB image when you are throwing a bomb is worthy enough of a trip to hell.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Michael also tells Chidi he was closest to getting in "up there," and at that point he had no reason to lie, as he was gonna erase their memories anyway.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Mulva posted:

I feel like Blake Bortles being your go to QB image when you are throwing a bomb is worthy enough of a trip to hell.

He's from Jacksonville, he never really had a shot at heaven.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm rewatching the pilot and I'm very impressed with Jason's ability to be silent for so long. Bit out of character given what we learn

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

blue squares posted:

I'm rewatching the pilot and I'm very impressed with Jason's ability to be silent for so long. Bit out of character given what we learn

Maybe it's just me, but when I rewatched the first few episodes, every time Jason was addressed, there seemed to be a look of suppressed panic on his face.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

inthesto posted:

Maybe it's just me, but when I rewatched the first few episodes, every time Jason was addressed, there seemed to be a look of suppressed panic on his face.

Nah. Even in episode 2, he was in character

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Michael also tells Chidi he was closest to getting in "up there," and at that point he had no reason to lie, as he was gonna erase their memories anyway.

Yeah but what if the "demons" are being lied to just as much as they lied to the humans?

And to expand on this with what I said on page 2 and someone else said, if memories can be wiped and altered there's nothing to say that the demons aren't just dead humans being tortured with bureaucracy?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can we at least wait for an official renewal before we overthink all this completely to death

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
No. You know how TVIV do

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Well Chidi is the least bad of them, he did hurt other people but mostly his fault is that he never bettered himself. If we put it within the context of sins his sin was sloth. In comparison, Jason and Eleanor were both intentionally being slothful and additionally they were also greedy. Worst of the bunch is of course Tahani who based her entire adult life around the envy of her sister and reinforcing her vain pride.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
No I'm pretty sure the dude who thought firebombing was a solid A plan for a lot of life problems and who died trying to rob a restaurant was in fact worse than a spoiled rich girl who ultimately didn't care about anyone but herself. Eleanor of course the absolute worst, she sold fake medicine to sick old people and was really good at it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Most religions and interpretations of hell position flaws of character like Tahani's as worse than direct acts like theft and deception, I wasn't trying to make a moral judgment here. :v:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tahani might have been shallow and passive aggressive. But she she raised billions for charity.

I think tahani's score was true, and she only just missed out on the good place.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Tahani might have been shallow and passive aggressive. But she she raised billions for charity.

Did we watch the same final episode? This was literally addressed in the reveal.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MiddleOne posted:

Did we watch the same final episode? This was literally addressed in the reveal.

Still raised the money bro.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Didn't matter. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rocksicles posted:

I think tahani's score was true, and she only just missed out on the good place.

Chidi was the closest, but not that close. So that can't be the case.

• Locked thread