Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Or even an adjacency bonus when they're still around. Volcanoes for everyone!

Alphamod (or one of the other bojillion mods i'm running) does this and it is super nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Alphamod does it for sure. It gives every blocker an adjacency bonus, and a lot of buildings which can only be built next to specific tile blockers (geothermal plants for volcanos, forest preserves for jungles, etc).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Heartcatch posted:

The ability to weaponise said volcanoes as planetary defence batteries when adjacent to a planetary shield generator would also be much appreciated.

..and provide a reason to build shield generators!

i remember a materialist fallen empire gave me the planetary shield tech because i let them have a 110 year old scientist of mine who was 5 stars and rapidly approaching death anyway and i was like "all i really wanted was for you to leave me alone and i'm still disappointed"

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I did it, I finally finished working on the German portrait sets.

Now I'm free. Freeeee.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I haven't played in a while, are salvaged ships supposed to lose all their fancy tech when the fleet they're in is upgraded? Or is this a bug?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Swedish Horror posted:

I haven't played in a while, are salvaged ships supposed to lose all their fancy tech when the fleet they're in is upgraded? Or is this a bug?
If it's a standard ship size and you have the tech to build it, yes it will update.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

CrazyTolradi posted:

If it's a standard ship size and you have the tech to build it, yes it will update.

I mean, before I even researched destroyers, I got a free cruiser from an event. When I upgraded my corvettes with new thrusters, the cruiser lost all it's upgraded weapons/shields in favor of basic lasers/no shields. If this is intended the salvage events seem pretty pointless :shrug:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright.
Had war declared on an ally. Got curbstomped. I have no force left to speak of. My federation ally has no force left to speak of. Our warscore is at -69% and the opponent doesn't even seem to have an war objective.
Is this the part where I just start a new game because I'm not seeing how I can come back from this and I have no idea what I was supposed to learn from this.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CrazyTolradi posted:

But upgrades go by class name I think, so I wouldn't expect them to upgrade at all, barring a large coincidence.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Stellaris human ladies always look like they're really sick of your poo poo.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Arglebargle III posted:

Volcano Removal -> Deep Crust Engineering
Advances in material technology and deep-shaft mining techniques allow geo-engineering at previously unthinkable depths and temperatures. Magma hotspots can now be exploited, suppressed, or even relocated.

Toxic Kelp Removal -> Ocean Ecology Management
Given enough processing power, networked sensors and distributed stations, even the ocean currents can be managed to a fine level of control.

Glacier Removal -> Climate Control Network
Orbital systems of mirrors and shades can effect dramatic changes in planetary climates, when managed properly.

Mountain Removal -> Planetary Resurfacing
With the advent of clean fusion, automation, and matter compression technologies, it was only a matter of time before mountain top removal became mountain range removal.

Dense Jungle Removal: Selective Defoliants
Thorough cataloging, gene sequencing, and computer modeling of exobotanical ecosystems, coupled with gene editing and dispersal mechanisms, will allow us to reshape alien plant communities to our liking.

Quicksand Basin Removal -> Soil Remediation
The process of soil deposition normally takes millions of years. With advanced fracking, chemical engineering, and hydraulic management technologies even the poorest substrate can be turned into fertile topsoil.

Noxious Swamp Removal -> Xeno-Hydraulic Mastery
Sentient races have been reclaiming swampland for thousands of years. A coordinated system of modular aquaducts, pump stations, chemical remediation crawlers and automated soil compactors can reclaim land at unprecedented speeds.

Deep Sinkhole Removal -> Subterranean Colonization
Many planets exhibit extensive subsurface voids. Subterranean exploration, exploitation, and construction techniques can greatly increase the habitable area of some worlds.

I like the line of thinking here. It effectively puts tile-clearing tech as a stepping stone to full bore terraforming. You're gaining mastery of planets on a small scale and working your way up to the bigtime (though I know you can get Terraforming before many of these techs, so you can also think of it as finer mastery--it goes both ways.)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

ChrisBTY posted:

Alright.
Had war declared on an ally. Got curbstomped. I have no force left to speak of. My federation ally has no force left to speak of. Our warscore is at -69% and the opponent doesn't even seem to have an war objective.
Is this the part where I just start a new game because I'm not seeing how I can come back from this and I have no idea what I was supposed to learn from this.

Probably not! One of the biggest differences between Paradox games (this and EU anyway) and other 4X games is that when you are fighting an empire you usually can't just take all their stuff in one go. You can only take bits and pieces at a time, and the first war usually won't even cripple them. The upshot of this is that losing one war usually won't cripple you either.

Let the war run its course. Don't waste money on building ships right now just to have them blown up. They declared on your ally so they probably want stuff your ally has. Once they get it you can focus on rebuilding. It won't take that long and from what I've noticed empires don't really take the chance to pounce on you during your rebuilding period, at least on normal difficulty and aggressiveness. For now just build buildings and wait.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Excellent. Thank you.

Yeah, I love what Paradox grand strategy games bring to the table, but man I have a hardwired fear of failure. I've only managed to play one game of CK II to completion (and what a ride it was) now hopefully I can bounce back from this.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'd rather if tile blockers had some other use besides 'remove'. Alphamod does this by giving all the tile blockers adjacency bonuses but I'd rather if you had special buildings you could build on top of them instead (and only on top of them). Giant geothermal generators on volcano's. Xeno Zoo's on dangerous wildlife. Defensive fortifications on mountain ranges and so on.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Stellaris human ladies always look like they're really sick of your poo poo.

I was wondering about it too. Maybe that's the looks Pdox artist who drew them gets 24/7 so he thinks its a natural facial expression of a human female?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

dumb and kinda scared posted:

I was wondering about it too. Maybe that's the looks Pdox artist who drew them gets 24/7 so he thinks its a natural facial expression of a human female?

this went from funny observation to weird goony conspiracy theory really fast

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Demiurge4 posted:

I'd rather if tile blockers had some other use besides 'remove'. Alphamod does this by giving all the tile blockers adjacency bonuses but I'd rather if you had special buildings you could build on top of them instead (and only on top of them). Giant geothermal generators on volcano's. Xeno Zoo's on dangerous wildlife. Defensive fortifications on mountain ranges and so on.
Geothermal generators for materialists, sacrificial volcanoes for spiritualists.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Coolguye posted:

Are you really surprised, given where you're posting?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Just making a joke, perhaps not so funny but w/e.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Arglebargle III posted:

Advances in material technology and deep-shaft mining techniques allow geo-engineering at previously unthinkable depths and temperatures. Magma hotspots can now be exploited, suppressed, or even relocated.

Given enough processing power, networked sensors and distributed stations, even the ocean currents can be managed to a fine level of control.

Orbital systems of mirrors and shades can effect dramatic changes in planetary climates, when managed properly.

With the advent of clean fusion, automation, and matter compression technologies, it was only a matter of time before mountain top removal became mountain range removal.

Thorough cataloging, gene sequencing, and computer modeling of exobotanical ecosystems, coupled with gene editing and dispersal mechanisms, will allow us to reshape alien plant communities to our liking.

The process of soil deposition normally takes millions of years. With advanced fracking, chemical engineering, and hydraulic management technologies even the poorest substrate can be turned into fertile topsoil.

Sentient races have been reclaiming swampland for thousands of years. A coordinated system of modular aquaducts, pump stations, chemical remediation crawlers and automated soil compactors can reclaim land at unprecedented speeds.

Many planets exhibit extensive subsurface voids. Subterranean exploration, exploitation, and construction techniques can greatly increase the habitable area of some worlds.

Do I have your permission to steal this?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
You know what? Until someone mentioned it here I hadn't even considered how the tile clearing makes the planet useful but also more bland St the same time.

When I think of cool sci-fi planets, I don't think of flat perfectly sculpted terrain, I think of places with groovy things going on surface wise.

Maybe it should be "build on top of" rather than "remove". The art effort involved is probably too much now but having artwork that then fitted on top top of the terrain would be pretty cool.

So when there's an open field it changes to an open field with a big old mining drill in it, but when it's a volcano it's some sort of mining complex built around the edge of the volcano or whatever.

Something for mods/Stellaris 2 I guess.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

That was one thing Endless Space did well - terrain features had both negative and positive effects. The research you did to exploit them simply removed the negative effect while keeping the positive, IE building a protected city on a volcanic world so you could have higher population and still maintain your cool geothermal plants, poo poo like that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Geothermal generators for materialists, sacrificial volcanoes for spiritualists.
Only the plumpest and loneliest of neckbeards for the caldera!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Someone please think of the shield generators.

Though dividing the uses of terrain features between ideologies would be pretty great.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Yes, I agree, there should be more special resources on the planets. The adjacency mechanic is hardly used. And you will have a little bit more to do there before you dump them into sectors.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Psycho Landlord posted:

That was one thing Endless Space did well - terrain features had both negative and positive effects. The research you did to exploit them simply removed the negative effect while keeping the positive, IE building a protected city on a volcanic world so you could have higher population and still maintain your cool geothermal plants, poo poo like that.

Well, the thing in stellaris kinda works like that. Blocked tiles are blocked until researched and removed, and then their resources can be exploited better and the land populated more efficiently.

The odd thing about stellaris is, the underlying bonuses are entirely random. A glacier will have any bonus, or no bonus at all underneath. Likewise, a desert planet has exactly the same bonuses as an ocean planet, as long as you can inhabit it.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
So, first impressions are that for some reason I am always way, way weaker than the rest of the fuckers around me. Is it because I'm not up against my ship limit? What are the good/bad types? I tried to keep at least some parity in missiles/lasers/shootygans witha focus on shield over armour and it worked so long as I outnumbered them but then after I wiped two of his smaller stacks a huge one of his, like 40% bigger arrived and wiped me out. Also I couldn't ally some dude, is that because he was a pacifist or something? I was running as close to good as possible, full collectivist, part xenophile but it didn't seem like a great mix

Is there seriously no espionage/sabotage system? Even EU had that and it wasn't meant to show the future, which probably will have a lot of that. Having to guess whether "u at parity bro" means anything true or not is lame and turned out to be rather wrong. The Diplomacy thus far seems incredibly basic yet irritatingly opaque. Why won't this wary dude trade tech with me? Why would I really wanna trade tech that much when research times are super long? (Though having 3 at once is pretty neat; the research system on the whole is pretty great).

Why can't I adapt hyperspacelane tech from my vassal? Can I build stations for him? Why can't I send him a pop unit that can actually colonize the planet near him for him?

The fact that all the war/vassal poo poo is straight outta EU is sad too. I was always way, way more a CK2 man and all I can do with vassals as far as I can tell is just absorb them or have them faff around uselessly. I also think that space has pretty much outgrown CBs and that a more dynamic system would be better but ehhh, I can admit I might be wrong here.

Are there seriously no pre-set maps with pre-set factions? No scenarios? No alternatives to the 3 different weapons/travel methods? Why can't I start with cool and interesting techs as a thing? Why are there so few traits and they're so weird and unbalanced?

why are there so many goddamn pirates? how could this happen when the lead ideas guy literally made a mod making fun of too many pirates?? why does the level setup not stop you from getting boxed in by them? Getting a 1K stack is gonna take forever

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Truga posted:

Well, the thing in stellaris kinda works like that. Blocked tiles are blocked until researched and removed, and then their resources can be exploited better and the land populated more efficiently.

The odd thing about stellaris is, the underlying bonuses are entirely random. A glacier will have any bonus, or no bonus at all underneath. Likewise, a desert planet has exactly the same bonuses as an ocean planet, as long as you can inhabit it.

Yeah, the point of that post is that, in ES, terrain features (if you could call them that) on worlds always had fixed bonuses that were always useful and fixed negatives that always made sense. They were more like planetary traits than anything. Stellaris has nothing like this, and it might not be a bad thing to look at for flavor, though it's a pretty minor thing in the first place and not currently worth the time in the face of the other expansion the game hopefully gets.

Though holy poo poo it feels weird comparing Endless Space favorably to anything.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Meanwhile, from Twitter:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/823857962439573504

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/823858618374164481

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 24, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Roland Jones posted:

Meanwhile, from Twitter:

Terraforming

This is the best.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Though holy poo poo it feels weird comparing Endless Space favorably to anything.

I found endless space really good, though I'd probably never bother playing it much if sowers never existed. That race was the best.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wiz posted:

Do I have your permission to steal this?

While you're at it can you group tile removal tech together so it's not an entire tech for 1 tile type? Or at least reduce their cost significantly.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Poil posted:

Only the plumpest and loneliest of neckbeards for the caldera!

All gifts are accepted by Aranaktu

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Truga posted:

At least random bonuses are kinda balanced, I am not sure how would it work if certain planet types/tile blockers would guarantee more energy/minerals/food than the other.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dwesa posted:

At least random bonuses are kinda balanced, I am not sure how would it work if certain planet types/tile blockers would guarantee more energy/minerals/food than the other.

Yeah, making certain planet types better in some way (which I heard is/was already something of a thing, what with Lush being biased for wet worlds while Bleak is rare there and more common elsewhere, though I think those chances were still fairly minor) seems like it'd push planet choice into being a strategic thing, rather than just being what you think is cool/fits your species idea.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Terraforming Mars is loving ace. Hoping that terraforming from barren progresses to one of the drier world types first for worlds like Mars and to one of the wetter types from an iceball world.

Also, there should be some sort of weapon that can strip the atmosphere from a planet and revert it to a Mars-like state. Planetary engineering is the best.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
There was a XCOM clone called UFO: Afterlight where you had to build terraforming stations on Mars and its craters gradually turned into lakes and the land masses went from red to green, that was cool to watch

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Enjoy posted:

There was a XCOM clone called UFO: Afterlight where you had to build terraforming stations on Mars and its craters gradually turned into lakes and the land masses went from red to green, that was cool to watch

I actually played that one, the entire game strangely felt like it was made of clay even in its day.

Very excited for even more terraforming. Especially with regards to the Sol system. Being able to terraform planets with primitives on them and watch them die horribly would also be something fun to do to on a lark if that ever becomes possible.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Deceitful Penguin posted:

So, first impressions are that for some reason I am always way, way weaker than the rest of the fuckers around me. Is it because I'm not up against my ship limit? What are the good/bad types? I tried to keep at least some parity in missiles/lasers/shootygans witha focus on shield over armour and it worked so long as I outnumbered them but then after I wiped two of his smaller stacks a huge one of his, like 40% bigger arrived and wiped me out.

use the ship designer to build units that counter his

Is there seriously no espionage/sabotage system? Even EU had that and it wasn't meant to show the future, which probably will have a lot of that. Having to guess whether "u at parity bro" means anything true or not is lame and turned out to be rather wrong. The Diplomacy thus far seems incredibly basic yet irritatingly opaque.

it'll get better soon, probably

Why can't I adapt hyperspacelane tech from my vassal? Can I build stations for him? Why can't I send him a pop unit that can actually colonize the planet near him for him?

force hyperlanes from the start, it's more fun that way. i think the idea with vassals is they could gain their freedom and then property right would be a mess

Are there seriously no pre-set maps with pre-set factions? No scenarios? No alternatives to the 3 different weapons/travel methods? Why can't I start with cool and interesting techs as a thing?

that'd be super cool but this is a 4x

why are there so many goddamn pirates? how could this happen when the lead ideas guy literally made a mod making fun of too many pirates?? why does the level setup not stop you from getting boxed in by them? Getting a 1K stack is gonna take forever

after the beginning chain pirates just seem to never come back

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arglebargle III posted:

Milky Moor posted:

I think it would be really cool if tile blockers gave some kind of bonus to the tile once they were 'fixed', like someone said earlier. Kelp gives extra food, volcanoes give extra energy, mountains = minerals?
This how Endless Space did it and it was one of the good things about the game. Dirt tier planets early game became god planets late game because e.g. Kessler Syndrome went from "Can't build orbitals" to "Automated space robots mining for minerals and old tech".

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Spaceborne aliens tend to be clustered. You probably started in an area with pirates. There are areas with higher density of mining drones, crystalline entities etc.

• Locked thread