Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if this really counts, but the entirety of Terminator 2 irrationally annoys me because I've seen it so many times, in so many editorial variations, with so many different commentary/trivia tracks, that there's literally no reason to ever plop it in my player and watch it ever again.

It's the cinematic equivalent of having a favorite food that, while eating it one day, you're pretty sure you've had it enough for a lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if this really counts, but the entirety of Terminator 2 irrationally annoys me because I've seen it so many times, in so many editorial variations, with so many different commentary/trivia tracks, that there's literally no reason to ever plop it in my player and watch it ever again.

It's the cinematic equivalent of having a favorite food that, while eating it one day, you're pretty sure you've had it enough for a lifetime.

I literally watched the VHS until it snapped in the VCR, then bought it on DVD a couple of weeks later. Just lol at ever having too much T2

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MisterBibs posted:

Terminator 2 irrationally annoys me...

I forget I've posted this already but my annoying moment with T2 was how it was established in both films that dogs bark like hell near terminators but when they get to the militia camp, there's dogs everywhere and none of them are bothered by Arnold.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

And finally, monsieur, a wafer-thin mint.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Jan 23, 2017

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Irrational:

John Wick 2 doesn't appear to be the title character avenging the murder of his cat, leaving John Wick 3-? to be about avenging a series of increasingly esoteric animals.

Optional:

Culminating in John Wick having to take down a secret bioterrorist organization that has cloned all of his previous pets and his dead wife for one purpose: kill John Wick!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Len posted:

How is banishing people to the shadow realm over a children's card game less evil sounding than murdering someone over a children's card game?

Because the anime, and then the dub on top of that, tried desperately to make the story be about a card game instead of a cross between The Mummy, Ghost Rider and Saw.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Byzantine posted:

Because the anime, and then the dub on top of that, tried desperately to make the story be about a card game instead of a cross between The Mummy, Ghost Rider and Saw.

I still like that the main character's super power was literally just being able to cheat better than anyone else. Then he'd talk poo poo to other people who got caught cheating.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Beachcomber posted:

Irrational:

John Wick 2 doesn't appear to be the title character avenging the murder of his cat, leaving John Wick 3-? to be about avenging a series of increasingly esoteric animals.

Optional:

Culminating in John Wick having to take down a secret bioterrorist organization that has cloned all of his previous pets and his dead wife for one purpose: kill John Wick!

I was hoping John Wick 2 would be about that dog he got at the end of the first movie. It would turn out to have belonged to someone.

Someone who had a particular set of skills...

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I still like that the main character's super power was literally just being able to cheat better than anyone else. Then he'd talk poo poo to other people who got caught cheating.

It's good to be the king.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Beachcomber posted:

This would fuckin own holy poo poo

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I just saw Don't Breathe. It was good and tense, but the ending was kinda weak.

at the end, Rocky escapes the house and ditches town but sees a news report about how the vet survived the attack and is returning home. the film established that home invasion with a gun was enough to allow the vet to defend his home so killing them wouldn't be considered a criminal charge, and he disposed his daughter's killer's/baby mama's remains in cement so he'll never be implicated in her abduction. so far he should be able to go scot-free.

but what about the impregation dungeon in his basement? there's no way he'd have the time to hide all the padding and refrigerated cum he's kept in cold storage while the police arrived - and they did arrive since the security alarm kept blaring and he was rescued.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nuebot posted:

In the fifth season (according to Hulu) Kaiba just straight up had a vision of freeing a dragon from crystal and the card magically appeared in his deck. Talk about cheating.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Byzantine posted:

Describing it that way makes me sigh wistfully at what a missed opportunity Yu Gu Oh was. Season 0/the early manga was amazing.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

I just saw Don't Breathe. It was good and tense, but the ending was kinda weak.

at the end, Rocky escapes the house and ditches town but sees a news report about how the vet survived the attack and is returning home. the film established that home invasion with a gun was enough to allow the vet to defend his home so killing them wouldn't be considered a criminal charge, and he disposed his daughter's killer's/baby mama's remains in cement so he'll never be implicated in her abduction. so far he should be able to go scot-free.

but what about the impregation dungeon in his basement? there's no way he'd have the time to hide all the padding and refrigerated cum he's kept in cold storage while the police arrived - and they did arrive since the security alarm kept blaring and he was rescued.

While obviously sinister in context, none of that is illegal. Just creepy and fetishy. Lots of people have gently caress-dungeons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LeJackal posted:

While obviously sinister in context, none of that is illegal. Just creepy and fetishy. Lots of people have gently caress-dungeons.

My favorite part of Burn After Reading :allears:

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
This part is better

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That movie was really underrated, I thought, especially the ending. I'm not sure if that is an irrational irritation or not, so I'll add in my other irritation that Captain America: Civil War which I otherwise loved never had a moment where somebody pointed out that many of the problems Tony Stark wants to fix (and the justifications for the Registration Act that will be policed by Tony Stark) were largely caused by Tony Stark.

Edit: On top of that, there's never really a moment in that or Age of Ultron where the Scarlet Witch gets to confront Tony about his old weaponry having killed her parents. Sure he's realized the error of his ways since then but Wanda would probably still want the catharsis of bringing it up to him, even if only to explain away her own actions.

Jerusalem has a new favorite as of 08:01 on Jan 24, 2017

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Len posted:

How is banishing people to the shadow realm over a children's card game less evil sounding than murdering someone over a children's card game?

i hereby banish you to the realm of coats and backpacks little timmy

e: oh you morons were talking about an anime, look im pretty sure the kid could just poo poo himself and then grow a ~power mullet~ or whatever the gently caress your you-guy-pokemons do

goatsestretchgoals has a new favorite as of 08:11 on Jan 24, 2017

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jerusalem posted:

Captain America: Civil War which I otherwise loved never had a moment where somebody pointed out that many of the problems Tony Stark wants to fix (and the justifications for the Registration Act that will be policed by Tony Stark) were largely caused by Tony Stark.

Edit: On top of that, there's never really a moment in that or Age of Ultron where the Scarlet Witch gets to confront Tony about his old weaponry having killed her parents. Sure he's realized the error of his ways since then but Wanda would probably still want the catharsis of bringing it up to him, even if only to explain away her own actions.

I like how Tony admits that he can't quit being Iron Man and that's why Pepper left him. He knows on some level that he keeps making the same mistakes, but he can't go all the way with it and realize that he tries to externalize his faults so that he can abdicate guilt and responsibility. I re-watched Age of Ultron and when they talk about Klaw the vibranium arms dealer Tony defends himself from Steve's judgmental glare about how he met Klaw at conventions like the guy was a casual acquaintance but when Klaw talked to Ultron it sounded like Klaw was a business partner with Tony on some level.

Another bit of dialog i liked was when they're at Clint's farm and Tony says Steve looks like he didn't get affected by Scarlet Witch's mind games. Tony then says he doesn't trust a guy without a dark side to which Steve replies maybe Tony hasn't seen it yet.

It made the reveal in Civil War a billion times better for me when I looked back on it.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Beachcomber posted:

Irrational:

Optional:

Directed by Nevaldine and Tyler (spelling?) The Crank guys...

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

WickedHate posted:

Describing it that way makes me sigh wistfully at what a missed opportunity Yu Gu Oh was. Season 0/the early manga was amazing.

The final battle should have ended with Yugi dumping alcohol on the guy and lighting him on fire.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

I forget I've posted this already but my annoying moment with T2 was how it was established in both films that dogs bark like hell near terminators but when they get to the militia camp, there's dogs everywhere and none of them are bothered by Arnold.

It's because they reprogrammed him to be a good guy duh

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I rewatched the first two xXx movies on the off-chance I might go and see the new one (leaning towards "probably not" at the moment) and one thing that irritated me about the second one (the one with Ice Cube who, while good in comedies, strangely isn't as convincing as a dramatic action hero as you might expect) which I'd completely forgotten is how it seems to go out of its way to slag off the first one.

Were they that upset about Vin Diesel not coming back?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Vin Diesel was apparently pretty dickish with the way he left, but I've not read anything that seems to be more than hearsay.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

It's because they reprogrammed him to be a good guy duh

They cut that scene out of the theatrical version, though. In the extended edition there's a whole bit in a garage where they pull out his CPU (a neural net processor -- a learning computer) and flip the switch from DOGS HATE to DOGS LIKE.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I rewatched the first two xXx movies on the off-chance I might go and see the new one (leaning towards "probably not" at the moment) and one thing that irritated me about the second one (the one with Ice Cube who, while good in comedies, strangely isn't as convincing as a dramatic action hero as you might expect) which I'd completely forgotten is how it seems to go out of its way to slag off the first one.

Were they that upset about Vin Diesel not coming back?

They actually put together a short scene, that they didn't use, where they kill off Diesel's character by blowing him up and his neck tattoo goes flying through the air. Yeah, they weren't happy about him not coming back.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://youtu.be/O48rLcHu2Yc

Couldn't find a version with audio. Sorry.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hahaha, that's amazing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Maybe it's because everyone just knows Arnold is a good terminator now but it's hard to see how it was supposed to be a surprise in T2 to reveal he was good. His entrance is just so obviously a good guy entrance. Him walking into the bar is done comically. Yeah he beats up people but they attack first and he doesn't kill anyone. The song playing as the camera pans up his wardrobe and then the sunglasses. None of it, to me, seems to really portray him as a villain.

Contrast to the T-1000 with no comedy whatsoever who kills a cop in the same way the T-800 killed a thug in the first one. They're just radically different introductions and pretty clearly shows their alignments.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I showed T2 to my immigrant dad last year for the first time and he assumed the cop was the good guy until the encounter at the mall. All he knew about the movie prior was "ill be back" from pop culture with zero context.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Maybe it's because everyone just knows Arnold is a good terminator now but it's hard to see how it was supposed to be a surprise in T2 to reveal he was good. His entrance is just so obviously a good guy entrance. Him walking into the bar is done comically. Yeah he beats up people but they attack first and he doesn't kill anyone. The song playing as the camera pans up his wardrobe and then the sunglasses. None of it, to me, seems to really portray him as a villain.

Contrast to the T-1000 with no comedy whatsoever who kills a cop in the same way the T-800 killed a thug in the first one. They're just radically different introductions and pretty clearly shows their alignments.

I believe he doesn't explicitly kill the cop onscreen, so you could easily think he just KOed the guy.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah he gut punches him and it cuts away and doesn't show any blood

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Meanwhile Arnold's methods are on-screen and pretty brutal, like thorwing a dude through a window onto a stove and stabbing a guy in the shoulder. Sure it was self-defense but was over the top. Hell it's an entire plot point that even as a "good guy" he has no qualms about brutality.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
The T1000 keeps it's original face and only imitates the cop's uniform too, purely to hide it's nature from the audience.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pilchenstein posted:

The T1000 keeps it's original face and only imitates the cop's uniform too, purely to hide it's nature from the audience.

Plus the T-1000 shows up second, just as Reese did in the first movie, and instead of demanding clothes from someone he takes them like Reese did.

Arnie not killing everyone in the bar is also a case of 20:20 hindsight. It was quite clearly presented as a downgrading of the violence to get a more audience friendly rating.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

BiggerBoat posted:

dogs bark at terminators because they don't have souls, but as a protagonist the t800 gets a soul and dogs think he's ok now.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
My IIMM is the first quarter or so of Terminator 3. If they had just gone full on comedy like they did at the beginning of that movie, it would have been alright. But the movie never again reaches the "heights" of Arnold walking into a strip club and literally talking to the hand or the scene where TX uses her shape-shifting powers to inflate her boobs to get out of a speeding ticket.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Grendels Dad posted:

My IIMM is the first quarter or so of Terminator 3. If they had just gone full on comedy like they did at the beginning of that movie, it would have been alright.

My IIMM is this post.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Grendels Dad posted:

My IIMM is the first quarter or so of Terminator 3. If they had just gone full on comedy like they did at the beginning of that movie, it would have been alright. But the movie never again reaches the "heights" of Arnold walking into a strip club and literally talking to the hand or the scene where TX uses her shape-shifting powers to inflate her boobs to get out of a speeding ticket.

It almost did, but the scene was deleted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

this is the best scene from any terminator movie