Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

fake edit: Timg'ed because huge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The bionic legs were a really nice touch.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

It got buffed a fair bit in A16 I think, it's substantially stronger than stone now and I think it might burn slower, either way the health buff makes it last a long time on fire combined with its low flammability.

There's still no compelling reason to use comparatively sparse steel in walls that are flammable at all. Especially given that fire is not an uncommon occurrence. For the cost of using steel in them such a glaring weakness makes them worthless in comparison to stone walls that use a much more plentiful resource, are immune to fire and have enough hitpoints to work.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Build 2 layers of stone walls about 4 tiles apart, its fire proof and will slow down sappers enough so you can get your guys ready. You can even sprinkle some IEDs in the area between the walls as a nasty surprise for anyone trying to break in unopposed.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Can colonies be made to be self sustaining?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I wish raiders had slightly more logical target selection algorithms. A while ago I decided to build a few doors at the entrances to mines and caves around the map to give colonists somewhere to hide if caught out during a raid. I never used them but now every time a raid happens the attackers split up all over the map to go punch solitary doors that lead nowhere.

It feels cheesy as hell and makes raids loads easier.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

Can colonies be made to be self sustaining?

With trade, yes. Without trade you will not be able to make medicine and could eventually run out of mineable resources like stone and steel, but crops are infinite. You can resettle somewhere else to get a new map full of resources. Good medicine absolutely requires trade though, there's no way to produce neutroamine on your own.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bird food bathtub posted:

There's still no compelling reason to use comparatively sparse steel in walls that are flammable at all. Especially given that fire is not an uncommon occurrence. For the cost of using steel in them such a glaring weakness makes them worthless in comparison to stone walls that use a much more plentiful resource, are immune to fire and have enough hitpoints to work.

It depends on how much steel you have, I use steel to face bunkers or in small gaps, which negates the risk of fire spread while affording greater resilience in key areas that take a lot of gunfire/explosions in fights. I use double thick stone for curtain walls because I generally have mountains of it and I want to get rid of it.

Fire is not, really, a problem unless you build your entire base out of wood, and steel is not especially scarce.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Carcer posted:

Build 2 layers of stone walls about 4 tiles apart, its fire proof and will slow down sappers enough so you can get your guys ready. You can even sprinkle some IEDs in the area between the walls as a nasty surprise for anyone trying to break in unopposed.

this uses components in such a number that it's basically reserved for 'mega victory lap'

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Coolguye posted:

the hp of walls is mostly academic

Mostly, but Triple Rocket Launchers won't fully destroy a granite wall, but they will destroy other kinds of stone.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah there's a couple edge cases where you'll wish you used granite for walls, but those edge cases can even really be covered by making whatever wall you're working with double thick and calling it a day

which does mean that granite is strictly more helpful due to the time it saves you, but wall construction is not something that's terribly difficult nor time consuming in the grand scheme of things so unlike using large numbers of components or intricate arrays of turrets or something the opportunity cost is fairly low

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 24, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Coolguye posted:

this uses components in such a number that it's basically reserved for 'mega victory lap'

Isn't it 1 component per IED? If you place an IED every 5 (or whatever) blocks it shouldn't end up costing that much unless you're wall covers a ludicrously large area.

Or, build stone doors into the outer wall that you forbid, and then place the IEDs in front or behind the door. The sapper/raider will go and break down the door and then promptly funnel into an IED so none are wasted by never being stepped on.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the latter is a really good idea

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Good breakdown,

Something I noticed about your colony that I build right away is a games room and proper dining room.

These can be the make or break rooms in your colony. I always put the games room beside the dining room and the dining room beside the kitchen in central location.

You put down tile floor but you should have been using that pawns construction skill to make bigger rooms/adjoining rooms.

I only floor the games room and the dining first and then slowly expand from there.

The Horseshoe pin is god... WORSHIP THE HORSESHOE PIN!!!!

Games room:
Put a chess board and two stools
Put a horseshoe pin with space in a direction to throw
Put a billards table later

Dining room:
Table and chairs.

Later on, add art to make it EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE.

This is all good advice

MadJackMcJack posted:

Few things of note to try and prevent mental breaks. Firstly you should put down a horseshoe pole from the Joy menu. It's only 15 wood and is a great way to increase joy AND gets colonists socializing since several can use one at once. The second is all the dirt and blood. Dunno how much of it is post-mental break, but all that blood really lowers the beauty, which leads to that whopping -15 mood penalty. Lastly, it looks like Grace and Jammer were lovers but there's no double bed, which means no lovin'. That means a mood penalty, whereas giving them a double bed means they can get it on which is a mood buff, which is always good.

Also, I wouldn't use fueled generators on arid maps unless you plant a large tree grove. Wood isn't that easy to come by on those maps so you'll need to provide the supply yourself.

I didn't know about the doublt beds or lovin'

Zhentar posted:

In general, that's an absurdly large amount of power you've got going there. I count a whole 1225 watts of power consumption there at peak load. Any two of those power generators and a single battery would be more than sufficient.

You've also planted way more food than you need and created a needless hauling burden by placing fields further away from your base than they need to be.

In A16, there's no reason to make these separate rooms.

edit: Also, infections are bugged right now. A wound tended in a non-sterile room will never get infected in A16, so grace getting an infection means no one tended her. Even tending without medicine by a 0 skill doctor has substantial benefits, so always tend your pawns.

The generators were mainly for when the colony was low on power. With 5 cooling units it seemed to run out a lot.

Grace may also have spent time time passed out bleeding in a shed.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Dejawesp posted:

I didn't know about the doublt beds or lovin'

Yeah, as soon as you have a couple, make them a double bed (also don't do conduit like I did)

Also, there is a lot of good noob stuff in here

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/5opw8v/what_are_your_favorite_tips_for_new_players/

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 24, 2017

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

I captured a lesbian pirate but she's not impressed by mens attempts to persuade her to join us (since all other women are dead now).

I'm going to reload the day 1 save. This is the team I have:

I have to ask. Does this game have more than one level? Can you dig down or build up?

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

You dig down later on using the drills for resources, but you don't really see anything except for the pawn manning the drill and resources coming out.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Okay I found a cannibal chef. If I build a special shack for him off campus to butcher human corpses in. Will people who never saw it still get a mood penalty?

Will they know if their food contains human meat?

Well gently caress this new colony didn't last long. Two early cases of flu cost me most of my medicine. Then a heatwave knocked out the entire colony. All five people. No one to feed the knocked out and they all died.

Colony 2 for today:
Edit: drat you heatstroke killed everyone again and AC was literally the first priority for them to build after housing.

Colony 3:

Someone used exterminatus on the map and most of it turned into a barren wasteland. Also heatstroke deaths.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 24, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really would suggest getting a passive cooler if you don't start with it, they're extremely powerful. Also dig a hole under a mountain, free cooling and eventually free dinner.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Assuming you're starting on a fairly neutral map, what's your order of priorities? Do you build quick and dirty to get your colonists beds and a roof over their heads or do you start planning and building your main base right away? What resources do you prioritize? Generally I've started by making a small wood structure, bedrooms, dining room, kitchen, freezer. Get one colonist to grow food and medicine ASAP, get another one chopping wood, and get the third hauling as much as possible. Should I start mining earlier and start building a rock collection so I can build my base out of tougher materials from the start?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Internet Explorer posted:

How is this mod, by the way? Seems silly that he hasn't implemented fishing yet, considering it is/was a huge method of humanity feeding itself since... forever.

Its nicely done but it can completely kill the food challenge in certain biomes or any tile with a coast, allowing for endless supply of leather and meat at the cost of setting up a few fishing piers for a little steel and some wood. Unlike hunting, fishing will improve your shooting skill without any risk to your pawn.

Also two of the new types of leathers (Blueblade and Tailteeth) introduced with the mod are simply better for making clothes than the vanilla leather type. Blueblade leather is 120% effective for heat and cold, while the vanilla leathers are usually 70-90%. Tailteeth is even better, making better sharp, heat, cold and blunt armor than any regular leathers. Aquaculture is literally "meat hydroponics"

If you combine it with Medieval time your can make fully armored tailteeth tribal warriors going near 50% average blunt and sharp armor without using steel, so kinda broken.

If you want to play a "balanced" version of it i would suggest not using the better leathers (blueblade and tailteeth), limit yourself to a single fishing pier and build it 200+ tiles away from the colony, simulating a time cost similar to a vanilla hunting trip.

Dejawesp posted:

Colony 3:

Someone used exterminatus on the map and most of it turned into a barren wasteland. Also heatstroke deaths.

Cut firebreaks once you can afford the time for it. Cutting swath of 3 clear tiles between clumps of 30-40 forest tiles will prevent forest fries from spreading. Lather on you can pour comcrete walkways so you dont have to re-cut and maintain the firebreaks. Always cut back trees 4-5 tiles away from your main colony buildings.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 24, 2017

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Dejawesp posted:

Is there an easy way to make your pawns equip the best available armor in the stockpile automatically or do I have to compare every item to all the other items?

Under the "assign" tab you can set up specific outfits or pick the generic "dress as worker" or "dress as soldier". Soldier will favor armor %, Worker will favor dressing for maximum movespeed and workspeed. You may have to micromanage in case of cold snap/ heat waves.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

prom candy posted:

Assuming you're starting on a fairly neutral map, what's your order of priorities? Do you build quick and dirty to get your colonists beds and a roof over their heads or do you start planning and building your main base right away? What resources do you prioritize? Generally I've started by making a small wood structure, bedrooms, dining room, kitchen, freezer. Get one colonist to grow food and medicine ASAP, get another one chopping wood, and get the third hauling as much as possible. Should I start mining earlier and start building a rock collection so I can build my base out of tougher materials from the start?

Your build order seems correct to me and I do exactly what you do. You have to get growing up asap and I always build 3 different food crops (rice, corn, potatoes) plus maybe some cotton for clothes/chairs later. You get some steel at startup plus you can deconstruct ship chunks, so mining is not necessary at the very start. You need a stove and butcher table, a table and chairs/stools are nice so you save that de-buff, and a freezer that can be easily expanded later.

I think starting location, ie where you build is very important. Look for rich soil for better crop growing. Look for a location that is more easily defended. I also try to locate my group near at least 1 steam geyser vent since you know you will be using it later.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

aleksendr posted:

Cut firebreaks once you can afford the time for it. Cutting swath of 3 clear tiles between clumps of 30-40 forest tiles will prevent forest fries from spreading. Lather on you can pour comcrete walkways so you dont have to re-cut and maintain the firebreaks. Always cut back trees 4-5 tiles away from your main colony buildings.

If you're on a map that has a decent amount of trees, a two wide stretch of wood flooring is a better firebreak than concrete in my opinion since it uses renewable wood instead of limited steel. Also pretty convenient to cut down the trees that are in the way of your firebreak and use them right there to make the flooring, no mining/hauling.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Azuth0667 posted:

how do I get plasteel?

Trade for it, or later on I get almost all from Deep Drilling.

Plasteel doors and turrets are well worth it. Buttloads of hit points and no opening speed penalty.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
In really cold biomes, you can get tons from mechanoid disassembly too.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Zhentar posted:

In really cold biomes, you can get tons from mechanoid disassembly too.

Why only in cold biomes?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Maybe you guys can tell me where I'm going wrong with food then. Since it seems in my colony the colonists are constantly starving no matter how much hunting or growing I do.

Whole Base:

New stone housing and work places:

Growing area, prisoner cell, and old mostly deconstructed wooden housing area:

Fortunately I've been able to call traders to trade my ridiculous amount of tailored goods for food and medicine but, I'm tired of doing that and would like to start to be able to be a little bit self reliant.

E: Also is there a way to remove roof?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Azuth0667 posted:

E: Also is there a way to remove roof?

You can draw no roof zones in the architect menu. May require clearing the roof zone first, I don't remember if it overrides it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Azuth0667 posted:

Maybe you guys can tell me where I'm going wrong with food then. Since it seems in my colony the colonists are constantly starving no matter how much hunting or growing I do.

Growing area, prisoner cell, and old mostly deconstructed wooden housing area:

Fortunately I've been able to call traders to trade my ridiculous amount of tailored goods for food and medicine but, I'm tired of doing that and would like to start to be able to be a little bit self reliant.

??? Is this the right screenshot? Because I don't see any crops at all. If this IS your growing area then obviously you got nothing growing. Plants need bright light (only sun lamps and the actual sun provide enough), and appropriate temperatures to grow. It looks like you're in a pretty cold biome, so you may be getting excruciatingly slow (or completely non-growing) crops.

You get around this by building a greenhouse. Enclose a building with a roof and a sunlamp inside it, and add heaters / coolers as necessary to get the temperature up / down, whatever your biome calls for. If you have normal or rich soil, then you can build your greenhouse over it and plant corn (if you need food immediately, plant strawberries, but corn is the better food per tile per growing time) until you get hydroponics. If your biome only has gravel, then you will want to plant potatoes in the gravel until you can get hydroponics, but you'll want hydroponics soon. Once you get hydroponics plant rice. Greenhouses need a lot of power to support the sun lamp, hydroponics bays, and heaters, but they're well worth it and it looks like you've got a lot of power income there.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

Crops don't grow in the cold. Set up a sunlamp over some soil, create a growing zone around it, and wall off and roof the zone. Stick in a heater and you're good to go. Later you can add in hydroponics benches for faster growing.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Yeah that's the main growing area but, its winter time and everything died. I think I'm in a temperate forest biome I can't remember. However even in the spring and summer I'm constantly scrambling for food. I haven't messed with sunlamps or hydroponics yet. I have all of the research and started on making one ship part.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Azuth0667 posted:

Yeah that's the main growing area but, its winter time and everything died. I think I'm in a temperate forest biome I can't remember. However even in the spring and summer I'm constantly scrambling for food. I haven't messed with sunlamps or hydroponics yet. I have all of the research and started on making one ship part.

Edit: What madjack said.

I put up a whole sunlamp hydroponics in my current base in a mountain, only rice/heal root/smoke leaf and cotton with 3 sunlamps and rooms filled with hydroponics and its enough to keep my 26 colonists going. Every solar flare I lose my crops but it isn't that big of a deal.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

My current colony has been doing well but now the game is giving me too many raids in too short of a time. Maybe 5-10 minutes between double sets of raids and each raid has as many attackers as I have colonists. Attacking with sniper rifles and grenades.

At any given time now a third of the colony is in hospital beds and the others are pretty hurt and the colony is really wearing out from all the attacks. I hope I get an hour or so for a break soon so people can relax a bit.

Just give me a little break here game. I'm having fun, don't ruin it now.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 24, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Looks like you've got a fair few big growing zones there, so my guess is that you want to go through your people's work priorities and make sure you've got some who prioritize growing above all else. Looks like you've got... ten to twelve people? Find some who love growing and set their Growing priority to 1, they should get those fields filled up in a hurry once spring rolls around. Also make sure you've got plenty of people to harvest food and haul it in when the crops finish growing.

Other things to consider:

Some animals will eat crops so you could be losing parts of harvest to a muffalo herd or something. Make sure tame animals are zoned to stay out, and keep wild ones walled out, which it looks like is already achieved.
Blight will gently caress up harvests instantly. If it happened, that's where your crops went.
Grow a variety of crops; it doesn't protect from Blight but it will make sure that your entire harvest doesn't come due at the same time, which will often mean stuff rots outdoors due to lack of hauler throughput.
Presuming that room below your stoves, with the herbal medicines in, is your larder, it looks like you've got sufficient coolers. Probably a silly question but have you actually clicked on those coolers to change their target temps? They default to 21 degrees C so for making a freezer, you need to set them colder.
Conversely, you may just have a really short growing season, even in a temperate forest. If so you'll need to get hydroponics set up before you can get much food from growing.

Also to get through to your next harvest, assuming we figure out what's wrong, don't be afraid to hunt the map clean of wildlife, it'll repopulate naturally pretty quickly. Though you have plenty of leather around your butcher table so you've presumably already done lots of hunting.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Mzbundifund posted:

Why only in cold biomes?

Between -40C and -100C, you (pretty much) only get mechanoid raids. Outside of that range, you get mostly human raids. With two human faction enemies, the cold biome will get ~6 times more mechanoid raids and thus 6 times more bodies to disassemble.

Azuth0667 posted:

Whole Base:

Do you ever get any planting or harvesting done with that layout? I assume your colonists spend a quarter of their day trudging out to the fields, sow one plant, then walk back for breakfast, go back out, sow one more plant, and then it's dinner time. If they do manage to get sowing done, then I assume most of the harvest rots in the fields while the haulers complete their epic journey back to the freezer.

Also, a bunch of your doors don't have floors under them, so pawns pick up dirt every time they walk through them and track it through your base.

Also, the only joy items I see are chessboards, and they don't have chairs next to them so your pawns can't use them.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

In the spring, summer, and fall it usually takes one days work for everything to get sowed. The unfinished portion to the right is what I want to transition to since hauling times were as you hinted at not good. I have more than enough granite to do it as well. I didn't even think about chairs I figured the chessboards were just like the horseshoe pole :downs:.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Holy poo poo Carter you finally did something right in your life.

For a while my colony was worn down to a handful of warrior women who did the work and held the line. It has grown since but these always seem to be the ones getting stuff done now. Pretty resilient to breakdown and with a lot of combat experience.

Then there's Carter. The resident neckbeard who came running all naked in the rain. He has never been good for much of anything. His only profession has been chronic breakdowns. His mental state is permanently tanked because he keeps hitting on the amazons who lead the colony and they reject him. Thankfully his breakdowns tend to be pathetic and harmless rather than violet. I suspect he will one day lift a hand against a warrior woman and end up dead as a result. What's the trick to arrange someone's death with minimal negative effect on the colony?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Dejawesp posted:

My current colony has been doing well but now the game is giving me too many raids in too short of a time. Maybe 5-10 minutes between double sets of raids and each raid has as many attackers as I have colonists. Attacking with sniper rifles and grenades.

At any given time now a third of the colony is in hospital beds and the others are pretty hurt and the colony is really wearing out from all the attacks. I hope I get an hour or so for a break soon so people can relax a bit.

Just give me a little break here game. I'm having fun, don't ruin it now.

Time to build a proper killbox and exploit the raider AI pathfinding to your advantage or try to unload some colony wealth. Install those bionics if you have any and sell of anything you dont need. If your storyteller is Cassandra this is just her thing, she will continue to raid you with larger and larger groups untill you get wrecked or build the starship and leave (or reach the AI ship shuttle on the worldmap)

Dejawesp posted:

. What's the trick to arrange someone's death with minimal negative effect on the colony?

Send him/her on a long caravan voyage alone and naked with a single meal.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Azuth0667 posted:

In the spring, summer, and fall it usually takes one days work for everything to get sowed. The unfinished portion to the right is what I want to transition to since hauling times were as you hinted at not good. I have more than enough granite to do it as well. I didn't even think about chairs I figured the chessboards were just like the horseshoe pole :downs:.

Just putting a door in the northern wall of your base would significantly reduce hauling times from the field.